Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Good to see you back at it man. Have some Bell's and Keilbasa for me while out that way... oh and White Sox over Cubs all day long... don;t believe the hype!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

drquirky wrote: »
    Good to see you back at it man. Have some Bell's and Keilbasa for me while out that way... oh and White Sox over Cubs all day long... don;t believe the hype!

Bells in the fridge and Keilbasa to be checked out this weekend!

Word on the street is real baseball fans go to the sox and cubs is for the party and people with no interest in watching the game...

Heading to cubs next week so! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Reading the description of your run around ChiTown ya had me pining for the place. I knew it would make a great city for an outdoor enthusiast!

Big question now is where will you watch the Cup final on Saturday??
    Fadó served myself and DukeofDromada well in getting us drunk and twice fed for the WC playoffs back in October.
    Poor old Yaboya had to deal with the aftermath when he joined us about 8 pints too late although he gave it a fair go in trying to catch up!:pac:

belcarra wrote: »
    Reading the description of your run around ChiTown ya had me pining for the place. I knew it would make a great city for an outdoor enthusiast!

Big question now is where will you watch the Cup final on Saturday??
    Fadó served myself and DukeofDromada well in getting us drunk and twice fed for the WC playoffs back in October.
    Poor old Yaboya had to deal with the aftermath when he joined us about 8 pints too late although he gave it a fair go in trying to catch up!:pac:

Currently researching where to go for the game. Looks like it might be a trip up north to an arsenal supporters place!

Ha. fados probably the only place here that serves a drinkable pint of Guinness! Found that out Tuesday night! Nice bar actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

blockic wrote: »
    fados probably the only place here that serves a drinkable pint of Guinness! Found that out Tuesday night! Nice bar actually.

Tuesday night drinking.......Tuesday nights now is it??
    wouldn't of happened in your prime. Pint of milk is all you'd be interested in.

btw is 37:42 your 10k PB :cool:

• Advertisement

Ha...I know a shadow of my former self!

Langer it is indeed my PB...I think!

Softest of the lot! When's the race?

Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Hi Blockic, just wanted to thank you for all your help and advice for my HM training, I got my sub 1.45 at the weekend:D Many thanks.

you're safe.............for now

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Hi Blockic, just wanted to thank you for all your help and advice for my HM training, I got my sub 1.45 at the weekend:D Many thanks.

Ah that's great news Sam! Plenty more to come now! Where's the report? :D

you're safe.............for now

Saw that alright...phew!:) Thinking about lining up a 10k in July...I have no idea what to expect...but I do know...it will be bad! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

CL's sister has been asking after you ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    CL's sister has been asking after you ;)

You have my number! ;) will she be in mcgrattans in October? I'm there! Booking in early! :pac:

Wednesday
    5 miles easy / 7:53 average pace

Ran a local block for this in East Town. Up Ashland, across Augusta, down western, across Madison and back up Ashland.

Passed the United Centre crossing Madison as I wanted to take a look at it! Home of the Chicago Bulls and Blackhawks. Just a big block of a building with nothing really exciting around it. Hasn't changed much since I passed it in the marathon! Must try get to a game here soon.

Weather was dull and cool, no issues with the foot.

Thursday
    5 miles easy / 8:16 average pace

Met up with the thursday local run group for this. Numbers are pretty small, may need to go else where to get what I am after but it is good to get to know people. Ran a mile there, ran 3 mile with the group and ran a mile home. They finish at a pub every week for a drink...dangerous. :eek:

Saturday
    6 miles easy / 7:46 average pace

Ran this Saturday afternoon on a high after Arsenal's cup win. :D We've been through hell and back us Arsenal supporters and Saturday was no different! Came out on the positive side this time thank fook!!

Ran across Division on this run to the Lake Michigan shore and back, crossing through Goose Island en route.

No issues with the foot.

Sunday
    8.2 miles easy (incl. 1m @ T) / 7:42 average pace

Most of this was a re-run of last weekend long run so won't go thorugh the details. I felt like running a mile towards the end with a bit of pace which was about 6:45...my marathon pace in old terms but more like my 10km pace now!! Loads of catching up to do but I won't rush it not after being out so long.

No issues with the foot...lets hope this continues and if it does I will be a happy lad!:)

Managed to hold onto my photos this time for the weekend runs. They can be seen here

Aim for the next two months is to get up to 40 mpw. Then will maybe run my first race in 9 months! :eek: possibly a 10km. After than then I will decide if I am going to give the marathon a craic or not. If I do it may be P&D 55, it will be too soon for the 70 plan I reckon.

Week Mileage Summary:
    Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|Rest|5m|5m|Rest|6m|8.2m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    24.2m|54.1m|165.9m

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Delighted to see things finally coming together for you blockic.

Passed the United Centre crossing Madison as I wanted to take a look at it! Home of the Chicago Bulls and Blackhawks. Just a big block of a building with nothing really exciting around it. Hasn't changed much since I passed it in the marathon! Must try get to a game here soon.

Eh, we didn't actually pass it during the marathon, just went near it. I can't remember seeing it but did see signs for its car park!
    Check out the MJ statue outside it, but yeah, apart from that it's pretty non-descript.

Have you been to Goose Island brewery yet??

'Hon the Gunners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Good to see things improving again this week for you, hopefully thats the end of your injury issues J. Some nice photos to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

You have my number! ;) will she be in mcgrattans in October? I'm there! Booking in early! :pac:

Nope, that weekend we'll all be in Qatar drinking water :(

Sure, give her the choice. Qatar with you lot or Mcgrattans with Blockic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I can't wait for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great to see you getting back into the groove, best of luck over the next few weeks.

Eh, we didn't actually pass it during the marathon, just went near it. I can't remember seeing it but did see signs for its car park!
    Check out the MJ statue outside it, but yeah, apart from that it's pretty non-descript.

Have you been to Goose Island brewery yet??

'Hon the Gunners!

You're some nit picking b*****ks ya know that! :D

May I inform you we did indeed pass the south end of the United Center as we ran west on Adams Street. Evidence attached! BOOM! ;) A**hole! :P

Haven't checked out the brewery yet, on the list though!

Goooonnerrss! Some team, 3 signings minimum now for the summer!

May I inform you we did indeed pass the south end of the United Center as we ran west on Adams Street. Evidence attached! BOOM! ;) A**hole! :P

I had no idea we were actually that close to it, although in fairness it's a pretty anonymous building!
    That neighbourhood seemed more than a bit dodgy when we went back for the pre-season game a few nights later.

Looks likely that Serge Aurier will be replacing Bac.

I had no idea we were actually that close to it, although in fairness it's a pretty anonymous building!
    That neighbourhood seemed more than a bit dodgy when we went back for the pre-season game a few nights later.

Looks likely that Serge Aurier will be replacing Bac.

Ya pretty dull building alright! Dodgy enough area too, especially now that I'm there! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

If you feckin eejits had been actually running hard instead of spending your time looking at signs for carparks, we could have gotten a pen and a magnet instead of an umbrella for our team prizes!!

Tuesday
    3 miles easy / 8:12 average pace

Squeezed this in once I got home from work but there was a big thunderstorm forecast. I got to 2 miles in and the rain started to drop, awaiting the absolute downpour i upped the pace a bit to get back before it bucketed.

Thankfully got back in time and all hell broke loose later on. Lightening strikes happened right on my street and the thunder was pretty lethal! Nice pic of it here!

BoIrH_jIMAAXfSW.jpg

My left achilles was sore on this and it reminded me that it was sore on the previous day's run also...need to stretch it out in the next few runs.

Wednesday
    5 miles easy / 8:06 average pace

With the achilles being sore the night before and the fact that I was out in the suburbs for this I ran all this on grass which was the business! Achilles was no issue. It was 28 degrees outside and roasting :eek: so easy pace was a bit slower than usual. I made sure to cool down first before the run though by panning out and taking a dip in the pool! :P

Thursday
    5 miles easy / 7:58 average pace

Ran this downtown with the local running meet up group, only about 5. I ran a mile to the meeting place, 3 miles with the group, had a pint with them, then ran the mile home. Lovely jubbly.

I have noticed that my form is poor at the moment and I am very rigid with no flexibility! Need to buy a foam roller pronto now and also look into yoga classes and the likes! I feel like digger an old man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I feel like an old man!

No good looking females in Chicago, no?! That's unfortunate

No good looking females in Chicago, no?! That's unfortunate

Working on it! ;)

Friday
    4 miles easy / 7:48 average pace

Weather was warm here all weekend hitting about 30 so running was a tough slog!! Got out early from work on Friday due to it being a holiday weekend so got this done on grass out in the suburbs before hitting up the pool and a BBQ.

grass surface is nice, a bit of a pain in the ass here is that all the sidewalks ;) are concrete...a killer on the legs. Trying to get more on grass now as the achilles only seems to give out on the concrete.

Sunday
    10.5 miles easy / 8:13 average pace

While this was not a true 10.5 mile run, I'm happy with it as it's the longest distance I have done all year.

The first 5 miles were stop-start due to stretching the achilles and then stopping to take in the views etc.

I ran over to Lincoln Park (first pic) and took a glance at the zoo which is free entry! Then I carried on to the lakeshore (second pic) for a bit and then retraced my steps home.

The last 6 miles were pretty much non stop.

It was boiling out so the pace was slower, still running in a singlet is nice...and more importantly other people running in singlets! ;)

308680.jpg

308681.jpg

I have come to realise that now the weather is warming up it is going to be very difficult to do long runs during the peak day hours in the summer, this has maybe resulted in my worst nightmare possibly coming to fruition!

"career move" early morning runs. Gahhhhhhh!! :(

Biggest mileage week of the year..happy out. Looking into yoga classes this week. Body is like a plank.

Week Mileage Summary:
    Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    Rest|3m|5m|5m|4m|Rest|10.5m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    27.5m|81.6m|193.4m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Nice to see things on the mend!

Advertisement