Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Surely 20 odd years of cracking Irish summers have prepared you for 30+ temperatures :)

I love your nonchalant I hit an early Friday run followed by a BBQ and pool party! Bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭trats

Wasn't too bad at 5.30 this morning in Madison. A bit sticky but not too bad. You should try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

blockic wrote: »

"career move" early morning runs. Gahhhhhhh!! :(
    Mwah hah hah (my best evil laugh wink.png)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

trats wrote: »
    Wasn't too bad at 5.30 this morning in Madison. A bit sticky but not too bad. You should try it.

Good to see someone who runs close-ish to me on here!! Welcome!

I reckon I will now alright for the long runs on the weekends over the summer, get them done nice and early!

I'll likely be up in Madison actually in the coming weeks. Any good recommendations on running routes?

Monday
    4.5 miles easy / 8:00 average pace

So after 3 weeks of good progress, I have declared this week a step-back week as I don't want to be doing too much too soon.

And so it turns out I have done more miles in the first 2 days than any of the last 3 weeks! ha! :rolleyes:

I'll just have less mileage to do for the remainder of the week now.

Ran this in a local park, all on grass..it was a Memorial Day here so got out during the day in the height of the heat..was soaked in sweat when I arrived back!

Tuesday
    6 miles easy / 7:48 average pace

Ran this with the local running group around Wicker Park last night, while it was hot during the day, a thunderstorm downpour absolutely let rip while we were out and got absolutely soaked to the skin again! That's twice in 2 days for the opposite reasons! :)

I was going to bail on it but it was actually very liberating and refreshing especially as it was warm rain..Glad I stayed out.

Planned 4 miles but ended up doing 6...back enjoying running now at the minute.

Thinking about doing a small session next week...or maybe i'll leave it another couple weeks...hmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

although your mileage is still on the low side compared to what you are use to, it's good to see your easy pace hasn't suffered too much.

statss wrote: »
    although your mileage is still on the low side compared to what you are use to, it's good to see your easy pace hasn't suffered too much.

Thanks ya, I'm pretty happy with the pace at this point in time..I'm about 30 seconds off my easy pace prior to injury, which is not bad.

1st race now though will tell all, no idea what to expect. Going to get a few sessions in first though to be sure the foot can take the faster paces before diving into one! Then I can base my training following on from that!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭trats

Good to see someone who runs close-ish to me on here!! Welcome!

I reckon I will now alright for the long runs on the weekends over the summer, get them done nice and early!

I'll likely be up in Madison actually in the coming weeks. Any good recommendations on running routes?

Plenty of good routes around downtown area. I'm just passing through but nice run along lakeside either side of state capitol. Also some nice bike paths. Did an 8 mile out and back route along old railway line very flat and easily reached from downtown. There are plenty of other places to go if you have the time to explore. Enjoy. When you planning on coming up? There are a few local races which look like good fun. There was one in April which finishes in the football stadium with a big party after. Maybe next year....

Thursday
    5.1 miles easy / 8:41 average pace

Regular Thursday run with the local running group, only 2 more turned up and seeing as I run the majority of my runs solo I just ran this one at their pace to simply have the company for a run!

Sunday
    6.5 miles easy / 7:44 average pace

Absolutely boiling here yesterday and had to get the run in for to hit my target for the week. It was 33c leaving the apartment, should have had more water. Done a new route which I enjoyed, passed United Center again where the Blackhawks were playing semi-final of the Stanley Cup that evening to see if any atmosphere was around. Not much as it was early. Stopped into a store after 5 miles to get water was well tasty! Wouldn't go much further than 6 in that heat now!

Bad news is that the Hawks lost in OT and are out after being up 3 times during the game. Sickening as the craic around town would have been unreal this week for the final...ah well!

Good news is that my local hurling club at home won 1st round championship, senior status saved for another year! Jackpot!

Step back week is done! This week the target is 30 miles..getting there!!!

Week Mileage Summary:
    Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    4.5m|6m|Rest|5.1m|Rest|Rest|6.5m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    22.1m|6.5m|215.5m

Monthly Summary

Month|Runs|2013 Miles|Runs|2014 Miles
    January|22/31|174.2|8/31|39
    February|22/28|196.9|1/28|2
    March|24/31|216.1|7/31|25.3
    April|17/30|120.2|12/30|48.5
    May|20/31|151.8|17/31|97.2
    June|18/30|149.7||
    July|26/31|220.4||
    August|27/31|250.5||
    September|24/31|197.3||
    October|18/31|135.4||
    November|10/30|67.5||
    December|1/31|4||

Happy with last months work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Absolutely boiling here yesterday and had to get the run in for to hit my target for the week. It was 33c leaving the apartment, should have had more water. Done a new route which I enjoyed, passed United Center again where the Blackhawks were playing semi-final of the Stanley Cup that evening to see if any atmosphere was around. Not much as it was early. Stopped into a store after 5 miles to get water was well tasty! Wouldn't go much further than 6 in that heat now!

Obviosuly not very suitable conditions for the Irish ...

Monday
    5.1 miles easy / 7:50 average pace

Started of the week with a run around one of the local parks, ran most of this on grass. Was warm out again. Was running laps and I see two guys arrive with a soccer ball, didn't think much of it until 2 laps later I noticed one of the guys kicking the ball out of his hands...this sparked my interest so I kept an eye on them..next thing I see a bounce...then a solo...

Took a shortcut on one of the laps to confirm with one of them that they were indeed taking a shot at the oul Gaelic football..two Americans at that...they asked if I wanted to play but I nicely declined as I had to finish off my run (priorities :rolleyes:)

Goes to show it's a global game after all, thought it was very random though! Maybe time to change the All-Ireland to the World Championships? :pac: USA style!

Spent 15 mins stretching after the run, need to get into this routine again.

Tuesday
    5.1 miles easy (incl. 6 x 100m strides) / 7:52 average pace

Carbon copy of Mondays run except replace the GAA with Softball! Some summer leagues going on. Added strides in at them end. Felt good. Think I will give a shot at a mini-session on grass next week!

Rest day today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

getting there blocky - its noticable from the times going down and the runs getting longer.

Just give me time to get at least 1 PB on you before you make a full recovery :)

getting there blocky - its noticable from the times going down and the runs getting longer.

Just give me time to get at least 1 PB on you before you make a full recovery :)

Was 8 months not enough for you? ;) It will be a while before I see a 10km race so it's all yours! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Was 8 months not enough for you? ;) It will be a while before I see a 10km race so it's all yours! :)

He'll change his name again before getting a pb win at this stage :D

Hey, I do believe that the 10 mile honours are mine. (Maybe 5 mile?)

Hey, I do believe that the 10 mile honours are mine. (Maybe 5 mile?)

Never ran a 5 mile so that's one!

10 mile is 63 I'm sure you broke that recently enough too...

Thursday
    5 miles easy / 7:50 average pace

An easy Thursday evening run in the local Park, 4 miles of which was done on grass. Stiff

Friday
    4 miles recovery / 8:40 average pace

Was in a bad mood for this, missed a train home by a few minutes and the next rain was late. Eventually got going but I was tired after a long day...took the pace down a notch this just needed to get done. The park was taken up with an open air beer and film show for the evening so I had to do this all on concrete..not ideal but finish it none the less. Stiff

Saturday
    11 miles easy / 8:04 average pace

Although this looks good on paper it was not a great run. Very stop/start for the first 5 miles, couldn't get a rhythm going. Could have been a combination of three bad variables combining.

1) It was early , got going at 9am, was supposed to do it at 8am but pressed snooze ;)

2) It was warm, very warm.

3) I had to stop a couple times to stretch out the left achilles, still a bit annoying and uncomfortable now and again.

The last 6 miles I finally got a bit in the groove and the only reason I stopped on this leg was for traffic lights. Didn't enjoy the run, hoping for better things going forward, at least I had my mileage and running done for the week by 11am on Saturday morning which was nice.

The one good thing to come out of the run was I found a public running track in the middle of the city, will be good for session when I get going!!

310260.jpg

30 miles for the week, nice one.

Week Mileage Summary:
    5.1m|5.1m|Rest|5m|4m|11m|Rest

30.2m|36.7m|245.7m

Monday
    6 miles easy / 8:04 average pace

Round and round and round I go, usual Eckhart Park laps on grass..weather is cooler this week, in around Irish temperatures which is ideal for running!

Was tired as didn't get home from work until late so this was about just getting this done.

Bad move over the weekend, bought a weighing scales and the result was I am the heaviest I have ever been in my life! :eek: 3 kg put on in recent couple of months! Time to up the miles and reduce donuts and burgers! :( The number I was on the scales is certainly going to get my ass in gear!

Tuesday
    6 miles session / (6 x 2', 1' recovery)

The burrrnnnn is back!

First session in 2014..yes..2014! :eek: The weather took a turn for the worst before I headed out for this with a storm arriving in the area (that's just a bit of wind and rain for us Irish folk)

It started to pelt rain when I started off but this was a good thing:

1) nobody would be in the park
    2) the underfoot would be soft as I would run the session on the grass, again to ease the stress on my arches.

Both ideal for me to ease back in gently to faster paces without the feet taking a pounding...I fear once the pace picks up that the arches are going to start giving out again.

I stole found this session thanks to davemcmahon doing it a couple weeks back (thanks Dave) and I saw it as an ideal session to start back with, nothing too strenuous but a solid workout none the less.

The session went as follows with the times being average pace:

2 miles easy (7:54)
    6 x 2 minutes (5:58, 5:53, 5:48, 5:40, 5:34, 5:37)
    1 min recoveries (walk / jog)
    1.5 miles easy (8:08)

Very happy with this :), the pace was a bit fast, probably 3k pace but very happy to have a session done..it was driving wind and rain in the park and I got absolutely soaked...i gained an audience towards the end who were taking shelter near by. The must have been thinking what is this loony doing out in that weather running up and down the grass!! Runners are nuts right!

I've seem to have learned from around that training and group runs apparently get cancelled over here with a moderate drops of rain! If they were in Ireland no training would be done!

Felt the burning sensation in my quads when I arrived back home, I want more of that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Good stuff blocky, bet you still no heavier than a wet paper bag though!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Great to see you back at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Some reintroduction to sessions. Officially back. :)

Well??

Wednesday 11th June
    4 miles easy / 8:26 average pace

Bit of catching up to do here, last weeks runs were routine for the rest of the week this one done on grass in Eckhart Park

Friday 13th June
    5 miles easy / 7:34 average pace

Ran this out in Naperville, was golfing the following morning so stayed out in the suburbs on Friday night. No commute so more time for running!

I unfortunatly bailed on my 12 mile run on Sunday which I was a bit annoyed about...I can't run when hungover! Thankfully I prefer staying in on weekends that going out getting sh!tfaced every weekend at the moment. The morning after is not worth it!

Missing Sundays run dropped my total for the week but I was determined to make amends in this week just gone...

Only one week behind in the log now!

Last Week Mileage Summary:
    6m|6m|4m|Rest|5m|Rest|Rest

21m|57.7m|266.7m

Monday
    4 miles easy / 8:30 approx average pace

Watch died on this one so no idea of the pace, 4 laps of a one mile route in the local park near my co-workers place in Naperville...things were warm but managable

Wednesday
    7 miles session
    / (5 x 3', 90" recovery)

The session went as follows:

1 miles easy (7:27)
    5 x 3 minutes (6:03, 6:00, 5:58, 5:59, 5:42)
    90 sec recoveries (walk / jog)
    3 miles easy (7:55)

Once again, my session day always seems to be the evening of downpours and thunderstorms!! Got caught out in the rain and got soaked through once again...the good thing about it is that it is nice and cool though as a result and not warm muggy and sticky!

This was done at more 5k pace and slower than the previous week. Going to keep building these sessions over the next couple weeks

Thursday
    7.2 miles easy
    / 8:00 average pace

Went over to Humbolt Park for this one and a nice run it was, 2 miles over, 2 miles back and the rest was a couple of loops of the park. Nice to feel that a 7 mile run is becoming routine now.

Saturday 21st June

Chicago Gospel Run 5km

Chip Time: 18:11
    Average Pace: 5.59/mile
    Result: 4/646

It's been a while since I have done one of these lads! But it was time to see where I was at. I signed up for this race during the week off the cuff. I needed to know where I was...and how far I needed to go to get to where I wanted to get to!

Races start early over here, very early. This was an 8am one so I have to leave at 6:15am to get to the South Side where the event was taking place, it seemed to have a good rep from last year and it was certified so I went with it. However, the south side would not be a place to venture too much as it is renouned for where 80-90% of the gangland crime in Chicago is...so I had to be doggy wide venturing down to this one!

I missed my train down so just got a cab down and arrived nice and early....2 mile warm up along the lake front in what was a really nice park and then done a bit of stretching. The numbers really didnt tell the full story as many were walkers and when I lined up I reckoned even in the bad state I was in I felt I was in around top 10.

I placed myself 4 rows back but hindsight will make me go further up in future!

I was very nervous about this, it had been so long and I was not sure what to expect! The pre-race buzz was majestic though and It was great to be back at a start line just for that alone!

Going in I was thinking that 19:30 was a time I would be satisfied with, anthing under 20 even. A point from where I can kick on from is what I was after.

Weather was perfect for the race, cool, foggy and a bit of mist which the morning sun yet to appear to burn it off. 30 seconds to go was shouted out and 20 seconds later we were off...

Here we go...

The 4 rows ahead of me disappeared and soon it was about 10 people as we rounded the first corner, a lady shot out in front of me and she meant business so I knew this was the person to try and cling to but she slowly gained a gap in the distance but I maintained it at about 50 metres. I was wary not to start off too fast and blow up so I kept it relaxed in 4th gear...the race then in effect became a time trial, similar to the 10km race I had in Cork last year..I tipped passed 3/4 people over the first mile and then it was just me isolated with the lady in the distance who looked in great shape to be fair. I was not sure the exact postion I was in but I kept plugging away, first mile passed in 6:09 and I was a bit behind schedule. It was great to get the shouts and encouragement on the side...another thing you miss when you don't race.

It was an out and back route so soon we made the turn back in and I knew then I was 4th as there were 3 lads up front and then the gal. With the postion secured and no one behind me I was caught in the middle so just focused on my own pace. Second mile was an improvement in 5:48 but the suffering had begun.

The third mile was all about clinging on and it was a feeling of horrific lactic in the muscles which I had missed dearly,...NOT!! :D Managed to grind out the third mile (5:59) as I met the big traffic going the other way but the shout outs kept me going. As I rounded the last corner I gave one last push and I noticed the clock read 18:04...I was very surprised if not a little shocked to see the time not being as bad as feared!

Crossed the line in 4th place in a time of 18:11 ..Hands on the knees, absolutely busted but delighted with myself...both with the time and also with the fact that I am back racing again, one of the best feelings out there! The one downer was that the course was a little short so I reckon 10 seconds could be added to the time, but I’ll take it.

I’m not in as bad a shape as what I thought I would be in, very little speedwork and training done and to be able to pull out a time that is only about 30 seconds off my PB makes me chuffed and with plenty more to improve on if the field was a little deeper!

Got talking to the guy who was second after the race and It looks like I might have finally found a club I am after, one that is a little more competitive than social so hopefully I can tie in with these guys soon.

A great day all round finished off with a 2 mile cool down, a trip home and out for breakfast before 11am! :cool: Early mornings are the business but don’t tell career_move that! Only for racing mind you, can’t train at that hour!

Offically back on the road...and there may be another 5km sooner rather than later....stay tuned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great to see, you haven't lost it J.

Superb work young man. Great to see you back racing, and racing so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

You never lost it;) Good man, delighted for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done. Delighted for you - great to see you back racing..

Advertisement