Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2013: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Buttonftw wrote: »
    Yeah I wouldn't be too sure about a German Grand Prix next season at all. Bernie's letting things slide to not have a calendar done yet!
    I can't see it being dropped, not with Mercedes still in the game.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    I can't see it being dropped, not with Mercedes still in the game.

Nurburgring is still bust isn't it? Would expect Hockenheim but ya never know with these things. The alternating set-up was because neither track could afford the losses of a race every year as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

That extra GP is on Goodwood weekend... Not good for UK fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

afatbollix wrote: »
    That extra GP is on Goodwood weekend... Not good for UK fans!

They've said they are going to change the Goodwood dates, hasn't been decided where to yet. Gonna be tough to avoid these clashes with Bernie hoping to pack in more races in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭brian_m

so, anyone ever been to the ring on F1 weekend? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Santan

can anyone explain why at some tracks the start finish line is before the last grid position such as silverstone and at other tracks its the start/finish line, where you would imagine it would be all the time. Could never see the reason why for this

Distance to the first corner and such things. It'll all be in the FIA's design standards somewhere. Not sure where to find it but it covers things like cambers, what the first corner should be like (tight, kinks under a certain size don't count as a corner) with plenty of measurements and templates etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Kimi's Christmas greetings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Seb's Christmas Greetings

I kinda feel for DiResta, he kinda looks like he's suffering from running in the midfield the whole time. Seems to happen to a fair few drivers, Kobayashi perhaps another current one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I kinda feel for DiResta, he kinda looks like he's suffering from running in the midfield the whole time. Seems to happen to a fair few drivers, Kobayashi perhaps another current one.

He is in a team deserving of his capabilities I think, he was supposedly upset of being overlooked by McLaren for Hamiltons seat but he hasn't done anything really to get their attention. He is solid enough but not amazing just yet for a top team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Next year will be do or die for Di Resta I think, there was a lot of talk about him being the next big thing after 2011 but the Hulk made him look pretty average this year. The mid field in F1 is absolutely unforgiving at the moment, you either make an impression and get a bigger drive or you get dropped.

• Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭CUPimus

Looking forward to it and hopefully get to at least one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Grosjean was confirmed yesterday while Kobayashi has given up raising funds for a drive next season.

Kobayashi is quoted as saying:

"Unfortunately, the time was still short and I am not able to secure the seat with competitive F1 team for 2013. I have to admit that it is very sad and feel sorry for fans and Japanese companies who supported me. But I am still confident to make it happen in 2014.

"I would like to stop the donation for now and while I will save all the money for 2014, I start to look what is the best option for 2013 and also 2014. My main priority is to secure the competitive F1 seat in 2014.

"I have no interests to race any other categories.

I will make an announcement as soon as I make a decision for 2013."

This makes me wonder if he was offered a seat in an uncompetitve car like Marussia and turned it down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

recyclebin wrote: »

This makes me wonder if he was offered a seat in an uncompetitve car like Marussia and turned it down?

Could be a wise move.. the moving chicane teams can be career ending drives as well as career starting. Just look at poor Kovalainen.

Chilton in Marussia as well, someone to fill Anthony Davidsons shoes at the back of the grid for the brits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

McLaren launch announced for January 31st.

Wonder will it be the looker of the field again this year!

Cars won't be as bad this year with the regulation for the step nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Gintonious wrote: »
    Cars won't be as bad this year with the regulation for the step nose.

why not, will they not have the same reg again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

I've never understood the whole raising funds for a drive thing, as someone above noted about Kobayashi. Whats that about?

I thought these guys get paid a fortune to drive? Not the other way around surely?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Apparently they allowed it last year as some teams wanted to use their old chasis' along with the new front wing that had different regulations/dimensions to the previous season

This season they won't be allowed to do so I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

The FIA are allowing non structural cowlings to cover the step. There was talk that many teams will continue to have the step as it is a known quantity and the aerodynamic drawback isn't that great, so best to put the money elsewhere than spend it on a new nose. We won't know until the launches if that's true or not.

dorkacle wrote: »
    Apparently they allowed it last year as some teams wanted to use their old chasis' along with the new front wing that had different regulations/dimensions to the previous season

This season they won't be allowed to do so I think?

No that's not it at all. The nose has to be below a certain height and rather than change the whole chassis most teams just stuck on an ugly nose. McLaren happened to already have a pretty low profile so didn't need the step. Unless the whole car has to be below a certain height there's no reason the teams have to get rid of the steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Harcrid

dorkacle wrote: »
    I've never understood the whole raising funds for a drive thing, as someone above noted about Kobayashi. Whats that about?

I thought these guys get paid a fortune to drive? Not the other way around surely?

Only the top drivers would get paid big money without sponsor backing. Most other drives only get their wage from the sponsors they can bring to the tream. Pastor Maldonado for example would get paid to drive but he is bringing approx 30 million into William from his backers.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kartincolin

The situation with pay drivers in F1 at the moment is becoming increasingly frustrating. How on earth are Davide Valsecchi and Luiz Razia not on the grid for next year but somehow Max Chilton is. Talent should always be the most important attribute of any driver, with the amount of sponsorship/funding that they can bring being secondary. Unfortunately, this no longer seems to be the case.

Maldonado is always used as the primary example of a pay driver, but Maldonado is a former GP2 champion and has outperformed his Williams on several occasions, so his raw pace can`t be called into question. I would think that Bruno Senna would represent a much better example of a pay driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

The situation with pay drivers in F1 at the moment is becoming increasingly frustrating. How on earth are Davide Valsecchi and Luiz Razia not on the grid for next year but somehow Max Chilton is. Talent should always be the most important attribute of any driver, with the amount of sponsorship/funding that they can bring being secondary. Unfortunately, this no longer seems to be the case.

Maldonado is always used as the primary example of a pay driver, but Maldonado is a former GP2 champion and has outperformed his Williams on several occasions, so his raw pace can`t be called into question. I would think that Bruno Senna would represent a much better example of a pay driver.
    It's nothing new. Chris Amon was 'sacked' from March in 1972 because Jean-Pierre Jarier brought more money to the team from French sponsors. Finance will always win out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Zero1986 wrote: »
    . Finance will always win out.

so what's the point of the ridiculous spending limits on teams if there are none on drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kartincolin

If I could change the topic for but a moment, does anybody else find that the British media, in particular Martin Brundle, to be painfully biased in their coverage of F1. It is so painfully obvious that Brundle is cheering on Hamilton and Button at the expense of all the other drivers, and that he has a clear dislike of Sebastian Vettel.

Now, you might say that this is to be expected with him being British, but the idea of sports commentary is to be impartial and to be objective, and to commentate on what you see, not what you feel. There have been occasions where I have wanted to put my boot through the TV to shut him up. Give me Ben Edwards any day of the week over Martin Brundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

On pay drivers, a "meh" standard F1 driver in a good car is way better than a top F1 driver in a shít underfunded/underdeveloped car.

E.G. Alonso in a Marussia with Petrov in a Red Bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

If I could change the topic for but a moment, does anybody else find that the British media, in particular Martin Brundle, to be painfully biased in their coverage of F1. It is so painfully obvious that Brundle is cheering on Hamilton and Button at the expense of all the other drivers, and that he has a clear dislike of Sebastian Vettel.

Now, you might say that this is to be expected with him being British, but the idea of sports commentary is to be impartial and to be objective, and to commentate on what you see, not what you feel. There have been occasions where I have wanted to put my boot through the TV to shut him up. Give me Ben Edwards any day of the week over Martin Brundle.

Do you ever watch RTE's coverage of Ireland football and rugby matches? Or when there was an Irish athlete in the Olympics?

You have to expect a certain British bias when watching British media. Vice versa with the Irish media. Saying that, I don't find Brundle that bad. Coulthard and his "let's not forget about Paul di Resta" catchphrase gets on my nerves, though.

Regarding Edwards, I hope he ups his game next season as we was making so many errors in his commentary this year. Calling the wrong driver, not noticing the safety car was out, etc.

Advertisement