Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2013: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

I am looking to go to F1 race this year. What is the best race in Europe, i am on a bit of a budget but would need some were i can get some were to sleep at a good price and a ticket, i would like to sit in a section were the hard core race fans sit. I was think Belgium mybe ?

Wouldn't mind going to Spa. Only bad thing about going is that its only 40 + laps. German GP is 70+.

The last race I was at I had no idea what cars were leading or lapped, and by the end I was deaf (with ear plugs) AND DIDN'T CARE, the experience was brilliant. I would love to the trip that Frostie did and have that access.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Perhaps it's time for a new thread, "The tired outbursts and continuing irrelevance of Jackie Stewart"?

Robbo wrote: »
    Perhaps it's time for a new thread, "The tired outbursts and continuing irrelevance of Jackie Stewart"?

He is right about the standard of making consistent judgements. There was a lot of inconsistent decisions made last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

With Jackie Stewart it's always best to ignore anything he says about individual drivers/teams especially since there is often a serious shade of jealousy in his opinions but when it comes to the sport in general/cars/tracks etc. he is usually absolutely spot on.

Stewards decisions have been an absolute farce the last few years. The decisions in general have been much too harsh for simple racing incidents and with no consistency whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I think I'd watch an ad break rather than listen to Stewart...& I don't say that lightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I wonder will Force India and Caterham announce their second seat drivers when they launch their cars for this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I wonder will Force India and Caterham announce their second seat drivers when they launch their cars for this season.

Pull the cover off the car then the driver! :D

Red Bull to launch their car on the 3rd of February.

2013 car launch dates so far:

McLaren: 31st January.

Force India: 1st February.

Sauber: 2nd February.

Red Bull: 3rd February.

2014 Mercedes Benz 1.6 Litre V6 Turbo F1 Engine:

Mercedes-F1-V6-2014-Motor-19-fotoshowImageNew-f0a365bf-653988.jpg

Article on Autosport about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

2014 Mercedes Benz 1.6 Litre V6 Turbo F1 Engine:

Article on Autosport about it.

Sigh. There's no replacement for displacement. Bring back the 3.0 V10s.

• Advertisement

SnowDrifts wrote: »

Away with you're American nonsense!!! :pac:

But yeah, bring back the 3.0 V10's and run them on hydrogen (taken from natural gas) but tell everyone the engines produce zero emissions and are environmentally friendly! :D

Daniel S wrote: »
    Away with you're American nonsense!!! :pac:

But yeah, bring back the 3.0 V10's and run them on hydrogen (taken from natural gas) but tell everyone the engines produce zero emissions and are environmentally friendly! :D

I like it... may want to stand a few miles back if there is a crash though! :D

So to complete my wishlist...

>3.0 V10's (Hydrogen powered to keep the modernists and tree huggers happy)

>Bring back re-fueling

>Reduce aero downforce by 30-40%

If Carlsberg did.....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I want to see how these new turbos perform before I jump to wanting V10s back.

I also agree with bringing back re-fueling, would make the drivers push harder. Also, I'd love to see semi-automatic gears banned and a return to manual. Just to make it that little bit trickier for the drivers.

SnowDrifts wrote: »

I was reading that the BMW P83 3.0L V10 engine that Williams used 2003 had over 900bhp.

Article about it here.

I was reading that the BMW P83 3.0L V10 engine that Williams used 2003 had over 900bhp.

Article about it here.

Cheers Jordan - some really great stats on that link.

The memories of hearing this unit in person ricocheting through the Ardenne forest brings a tear to the ear.

I'd say if BMW kept on developing that 3 Litre V10 motor, it would have hit the 1000bhp mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I really hope the new donkeys have a distinctive F1'esque sound to them & isn't like listening to 20 odd Clio's going around a track. The big V10's sound unreal

EnterNow wrote: »
    I really hope the new donkeys have a distinctive F1'esque sound to them & isn't like listening to 20 odd Clio's going around a track. The big V10's sound unreal

Well since they're turbo's they're probably not going to have that nice of an exhaust note.

In that case, I want a nice bit of turbo lag and a f**king sonic boom when it kicks in! :D And onboard footage of a test car going around a hairpin to a long straight! :)

What about anti-lag? Think that could be used in F1?

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The BMW Turbo block in the 80`s was pushing 1600bhp in qualifying form. That said it only lasted a lap or two :pac:

Aye. Back then the boost would be turned up in qualifying, but when it came to race, the boost was reduced to stop the engines expiring during the race.

I read that those 4 cylinder BMW turbo motors had toluene mixed into the fuel to get more power out of the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Aye. Back then the boost would be turned up in qualifying, but when it came to race, the boost was reduced to stop the engines expiring during the race.

I read that those 4 cylinder BMW turbo motors had toluene mixed into the fuel to get more power out of the engine.

I remember reading somewhere that BMW would only use engine blocks that had come from road cars with 100,000 mile or more on them. The thinking was that if the block had survived that long without developing any flaws that it was good to race.

• Advertisement

Kxiii wrote: »
    I remember reading somewhere that BMW would only use engine blocks that had come from road cars with 100,000 mile or more on them. The thinking was that if the block had survived that long without developing any flaws that it was good to race.

Was definitely on YouTube somewhere, I'll try and find it!

EDIT: It was a Jeremy Clarkson job and apparently the workers would urinate on them for good luck haha!

"The current KERS currently produces 80hp for 6.7 seconds per lap, while the new ERS will deliver 161 hp for 33.3 seconds per lap."

This is a major difference. Hows is it gonna work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,333 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

"The current KERS currently produces 80hp for 6.7 seconds per lap, while the new ERS will deliver 161 hp for 33.3 seconds per lap."

This is a major difference. Hows is it gonna work out.
    I dont know but it should be interesting. Given what we used to hear about brake balance issues between when kers was harvesting energy and not, I think that they would surely need some intelligence built into the system to help stabilty given the major increase in energy being recovered.
    Given the difficulty many teams had in packaging a suitable kers system, getting a system with maybe 10 times the energy running in a car should be a challenge even if the rules help.
    Old kers was only working off the rear wheels. I guess they would need to have generators taking energy from front wheels too now at braking areas but I havent had a real look at the regs. If they do have energy recovery generators at the front, I figure it will be hard to stop the teams using this to create varying braking forces across the front axle which would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

mickdw wrote: »
    I dont know but it should be interesting. Given what we used to hear about brake balance issues between when kers was harvesting energy and not, I think that they would surely need some intelligence built into the system to help stabilty given the major increase in energy being recovered.
    Given the difficulty many teams had in packaging a suitable kers system, getting a system with maybe 10 times the energy running in a car should be a challenge even if the rules help.
    Old kers was only working off the rear wheels. I guess they would need to have generators taking energy from front wheels too now at braking areas but I havent had a real look at the regs. If they do have energy recovery generators at the front, I figure it will be hard to stop the teams using this to create varying braking forces across the front axle which would be useful.

ERS and KERS aren't the same thing. Basically when you take away the K you take away it only happening when the car is braking. ERS is just Energy Recovery System rather then kinetic ERS which means it only recovers kenetic (movement) energy when the car is slowing down. I don't know what the rules are like but there are many ways to get electricity from a car, not just from braking.

GarIT wrote: »

ERS and KERS aren'o the same thing. Basically when you take away the K you take away it only happening when the car is braking. ERS is just Energy Recovery System rather then kinetic ERS which means it only recovers kenetic (movement) energy when the car is slowing down. I don't know what the rules are like but there are many ways to get electricity from a car, not just from braking.
    You are correct but I guess no matter how you seek to recover energy, if you dont do it during the braking/off power phase, you will pay for it with a performance drop. I suppose some energy couldbe recovered from heat sources. im thinking engine water, oil, exhaust and again even brakes. I guess spare engine power after throttle lift off could also be harnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

mickdw wrote: »
    You are correct but I guess no matter how you seek to recover energy, if you dont do it during the braking/off power phase, you will pay for it with a performance drop. I suppose some energy couldbe recovered from heat sources. im thinking engine water, oil, exhaust and again even brakes. I guess spare engine power after throttle lift off could also be harnessed.

Yeah, my point was that I don't think that it will affect braking any more than before because it seems to be implied that it's new technologies rather than using old ones more.

GarIT wrote: »

Yeah, my point was that I don't think that it will affect braking any more than before because it seems to be implied that it's new technologies rather than using old ones more.
    Ya true enough. I always though the old kers was a wasted opportunity anyway. I think it should have been left more open and allow the teams to recover as much energy as they could. It might have created some more variation between cars etc

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

I think I remember reading something back when the turbo engines were first mooted that they were going to be harvesting heat energy as well as the brake energy. I agree though, it should be unrestricted with the amount of energy that can harvested s that we see a wider window between cars and also more reliability issues as the teams try to get more energy into the car

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kartincolin

Anybody read the articles on Autosport`s website regarding the fact that Mercedes have released pictures of it`s 1.6 litre turbo engine for the first time. Selected journalists were also given a chance to HEAR the engine being simulated around a lap of Monza on the dyno. It is supposedly very good indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Anybody read the articles on Autosport`s website regarding the fact that Mercedes have released pictures of it`s 1.6 litre turbo engine for the first time. Selected journalists were also given a chance to HEAR the engine being simulated around a lap of Monza on the dyno. It is supposedly very good indeed!
    You'd wonder is 2013 going to be another poor year for Merc while 2014 will be their new era! Seems like that's where their attentions is focused.

Advertisement