Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭vectra

blade1 wrote: »

I was looking at ones lke that but mine doesn't have the black part in the centre. I would imagine that would stop it fitting in.
    If you scroll down the page and look at the mini ones, Mine look like that only Mini ones are too big. I am at a loss over them. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭blade1

vectra wrote: »
    I was looking at ones lke that but mine doesn't have the black part in the centre. I would imagine that would stop it fitting in.
    If you scroll down the page and look at the mini ones, Mine look like that only Mini ones are too big. I am at a loss over them. :confused:

Any pic of your fuse?
    Look at the red 10a fuse in the pic below.
    That's a micro.
    If yours are longer are you sure they are not mini?
    Screenshot_20171026-203834.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Any pic of your fuse?
    Look at the red 10a fuse in the pic below.
    That's a micro.
    If yours are longer are you sure they are not mini?

According to a friend in the UK with the same car as mine.
    This is the one I need, so I ordered it, fingers crossed this time

Piggy Back Fuse Tap MICRO 2 Blade Holder

s-l1600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That's not a picture of a micro one though. You have to watch out the eBay listings for fuse holders are commonly mislabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭blade1

TheChizler wrote: »
    That's not a picture of a micro one though. You have to watch out the eBay listings for fuse holders are commonly mislabled.

It's the latest type which is micro 2.
    Plenty on eBay
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F172741917214

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

i just bought a nextbase 412gw with wifi for 139.great dashcam so far even in night.just need to hard wire it in my e60 520d

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Cheers wasn't aware of that one. Yet another to add to the confusion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Selling my Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo - owned it from new. Any questions feel free to PM me!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-fabia-estate-monte-carlo/17064595

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

The low-res file is for the app thumbnails and previews, and so I don't think they'd let you switch this function off.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

http://www.adverts.ie/car/toyota/yaris/2002-toyota-yaris/14111271

For parts or repair is my 1.4 D4D Diesel Toyota Yaris with 186k miles on it.

Car is driving perfectly fine however it has No Valid NCT; out from start of October!
    Being a UK import the sills and rear underside are now suffering from rust in places and I don't believe that it would pass its NCT without welding/repair.

This engine is used in other Toyota models such as Corolla, Auris, Versus etc and BMW's diesel Mini D model.

Available for collection in Sligo town.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DB1984

Selling my 2006 BMW 318i. Really great car and well taken care of. Perfect opportunity to get a modern BMW experience at a relatively low price.

See link below for more details:

http://touch.adverts.ie/car/bmw/3-series/2006-bmw-318/14087707

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

That does make sense regarding the U connection, however, the ad says that the U is for easy connection directly to the battery. Of course, this is not what I am going to do, so this is where the fuse tap comes in and I now understand that it is just a matter of crimping and it wasn't an actual connection that slots in.

What I will do then is probably buy a U connection for the black wire (earth), then just cut the U off the red to crimp it into a fuse tap. Makes sense. Thanks a lot!

Another option I was thinking of was just to buy a multiple cigarette socket and wire it to a fuse tap into the fusebox then keep the multi-socket in the glovebox compartment for other uses too. I just have to work out amperages so that I don't overload. Can't really find general information regarding how much max current these multi-sockets can pull, though.

Hey guys, I'm still getting around to looking for a good enough cigarette socket splitter kind of thing. Does anyone know how much current a dashcam would take max? I'm looking to calculate if my idea is okay in terms of the cigarette socket splitter. The way I see it, most 3 way splitters have a maximum output of 5A. So, if I was using a 2.4A USB charger on two ports, I would be using 4.8A(perfect world expectation, real world test would probably pull less than that) which leaves .2A. I'm pretty sure that's too little, but still want to confirm if it really is just 5A maximum output from these things. The seller doesn't have any information about it :confused::confused: . The splitter that I was looking at also had USB ports which according to the spec, would be able to output 6.8A in total. Could one of these splitters really output 11.8A(5 + 6.8) or possibly more in total?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FosPower-Cigarette-Splitter-Smartphones-Lifetime/dp/B01FEG4D3Y/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

So, if I was using a 2.4A USB charger on two ports, I would be using 4.8A(perfect world expectation, real world test would probably pull less than that) which leaves .2A

Are you sure? A simple stepdown 12V->5V @ 5A would require 35W of power dissipated... You would need a huuuge heat sink to do it without risk of burning.

So, the USB chargers are working like impulse chargers. Providing 5A@5V requires only 25W, the load on 12V would be around 2.5A, not more.

grogi wrote: »
    Are you sure? A simple stepdown 12V->5V @ 5A would require 35W of power dissipated... You would need a huuuge heat sink to do it without risk of burning.

So, the USB chargers are working like impulse chargers. Providing 5A@5V requires only 25W, the load on 12V would be around 2.5A, not more.

Being completely honest with you, I probably don't understand electricity as much as I should, and would most likely have done something completely wrong in terms of calculations. But what I'm basing this on anyway is just a few pictures online stating that the max output current of those splitter type chargers is 5A.

Basing then on what you're saying, if I had two USB chargers and the dashcam on the same splitter, would 2.5A be enough for a dashcam? Are there dashcams that pull more than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Being completely honest with you, I probably don't understand electricity as much as I should, and would most likely have done something completely wrong in terms of calculations. But what I'm basing this on anyway is just a few pictures online stating that the max output current of those splitter type chargers is 5A

The lighter socket gives 12V, while USB requires 5V. That's why you need a charger there, it converts one into another.

Now, a 1A@12V is more than twice as much "powerful" as 1A, but on 5V. Dumb USB chargers will use that excess of power to heat up, nothing more. Smarter will use it intelligently.

So, if you need to power three USB devices, each needing 2A (which really is a lot), you need 30W (3 * 2A*5V) of power. You need only 2.5A to get same power from 12V (2.5A*12V = 30W). 7A splitter will be more than enough.

grogi wrote: »
    The lighter socket gives 12V, while USB requires 5V. That's why you need a charger there, it converts one into another.

Now, a 1A@12V is more than twice as much "powerful" as 1A, but on 5V. Dumb USB chargers will use that excess of power to heat up, nothing more. Smarter will use it intelligently.

So, if you need to power three USB devices, each needing 2A (which really is a lot), you need 30W (3 * 2A*5V) of power. You need only 2.5A to get same power from 12V (2.5A*12V = 30W). 7A splitter will be more than enough.

Thank you very much! That cleared it up for me. Now, I just wanted to confirm if I'm able to trust the splitter in terms of its specifications.

Now, with the splitter that I linked, it said it can do 5V/6.8A total on its own USB ports, four ports, 2 x 5V/2.4, 2 x 5V/1A (34W). So this in total would pull around 2.84A @ 12V (34W). I know that I probably wouldn't use these 4 devices together with 3 more devices on the cigarette sockets, but I would like to know the limit of the device and if I'm able to trust the splitter that it wouldn't burn, IF, I had to use all the ports.

So far:
    2.84A @ 12V on USB ports (34W).

2.4A(fast chargers for tablets/smartphones) @ 5V * 2 (2 remaining cigarette sockets after having the dashcam plugged in) = 24W

You were saying that I would be using devices needing 2A so I'm guessing it isn't expected for a dashcam to use more than 2A. So 2A @ 5V is 10W.

Total from the cigarette sockets would then be (34W) which is again around 2.84A @ 12V.

2.84A * 2 = 5.68A @ 12V.

That seems a lot more reasonable than what I was saying before (11.8A) LOL :pac: :pac: :pac:

I'm guessing that I would be able to trust this splitter to be able to output 5.68A @ 12V but still would like your opinion as I may completely wrong either on my assumption or calculation. Is it normal for splitters to be capable of around 6A @ 12V?

Sorry for the million questions by the way, probably a little off topic, too, in this thread. But thank you so much for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 whats_up

432043.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-c30-1-8-se-2007/17001505

Leaving the country so selling this, I've taken good care of it and it's got full service history. Has NCT until November of next year, and was recently taxed.

If I wasn't leaving the country I'd keep this for the next few years, it looks great outside and has a top spec black leather interior, cruise-control etc. check the linked ad for details

Looking for €2,995.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 CCMYPLAYMATE

Hi 1.5 Petrol automatic Nissan Cube for sale it kills me to sell her but needs must !!

http://www.adverts.ie/14095442

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Honda Civic 2005
    1.6 Petrol, manual
    Executive model (lots of extras)

Going to best offer over €1000

http://touch.adverts.ie/car/honda/civic/honda-civic-executive/14100745

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Hi All,

I've a Mini 0806 & have an issue occasionally. I've it set to loop continuously but it starts beeping usually when the cards are nearly full with a message of the screen "frmat card" .If I format the cards on laptop it works away again. I thought it was the micro SD cards. I has 2 x 64GB Samsung Class 10 cards & I've recently replaced them with 2 x 64GB Class 10 Sandisk cards. This has certainly improved the issue but the camera still throws a wobbly from time to time. I have upgraded the firmware. Any ideas?.

T.

TigerTim wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've a Mini 0806 & have an issue occasionally. I've it set to loop continuously but it starts beeping usually when the cards are nearly full with a message of the screen "frmat card" .If I format the cards on laptop it works away again. I thought it was the micro SD cards. I has 2 x 64GB Samsung Class 10 cards & I've recently replaced them with 2 x 64GB Class 10 Sandisk cards. This has certainly improved the issue but the camera still throws a wobbly from time to time. I have upgraded the firmware. Any ideas?.

T.

Do you have a GPS Mount?
    If so, I assume you have the poer cable plugged into this.
    Try plugging the power directly into the dashcam and see how that works for you.
    I have read this is a workaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Do you have a GPS Mount?
    If so, I assume you have the poer cable plugged into this.
    Try plugging the power directly into the dashcam and see how that works for you.
    I have read this is a workaround.

Thanks, It has a mount attached to the windscreen. Will take a look.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭yannakis

Any idea if I can find this anywhere around Dublin?

eFsamjk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Bit of an unusual one here - hoping someone might know, as googling isn't throwing up much..

My Dad is looking for both a dash cam and reversing camera for his car.
    He'd prefer to have only one screen.
    Anyone know of a dash cam that would have video input which would switch to the reversing camera when reverse is engaged?

I did see head units that would have that functionality, but would be very expensive.

I reckon he'd be better looking at a small, non-display dash cam, and a separate reversing camera with screen.

Any advice / anyone looked at something that might suit?

yannakis wrote: »
    Any idea if I can find this anywhere around Dublin?

https://i.imgur.com/eFsamjk.png

Halfords?
    UsedToWait wrote: »
    Bit of an unusual one here - hoping someone might know, as googling isn't throwing up much..

My Dad is looking for both a dash cam and reversing camera for his car.
    He'd prefer to have only one screen.
    Anyone know of a dash cam that would have video input which would switch to the reversing camera when reverse is engaged?

I did see head units that would have that functionality, but would be very expensive.

I reckon he'd be better looking at a small, non-display dash cam, and a separate reversing camera with screen.

Any advice / anyone looked at something that might suit?

Just curious
    what car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭yannakis

Halfords?

Went by Carrickmines today and they didn't have any. Also, I can't find it on their website either, so I guess they're not stocking it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement