Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

UsedToWait wrote: »
    My Dad is looking for both a dash cam and reversing camera for his car.
    He'd prefer to have only one screen.
    Anyone know of a dash cam that would have video input which would switch to the reversing camera when reverse is engaged?
    Any of the standard dual camera ones seem to do that. Just don't try and mix and match head units and rear cameras like I did, get one that comes with the rear camera you intend to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

TheChizler wrote: »
    Any of the standard dual camera ones seem to do that. Just don't try and mix and match head units and rear cameras like I did, get one that comes with the rear camera you intend to use.

Thanks - I didn't realise - will investigate further - anyone got any dual camera set ups they can recommend, where the rear camera doubles as a reversing camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Patww79 wrote: »

I know this is off topic.
    But Parcel Motel going out of action for a while?
    Please fill me in . :confused:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks - I didn't realise - will investigate further - anyone got any dual camera set ups they can recommend, where the rear camera doubles as a reversing camera?

One thing that has me curious if you wanted them to double up - where would you mount it? My rear cam is at the top of the window... reversing is at the bottom of the window built into the rear wiper and is angled to include the back bumper?
    vectra wrote: »
    I know this is off topic.
    But Parcel Motel going out of action for a while?
    Please fill me in . :confused:

Use Parcel Wizard instead! Although they're running a few days behind already so plan accordingly lol.

tk123 wrote: »
    One thing that has me curious if you wanted them to double up - where would you mount it?
    One thing I would avoid if I was doing it again is installing the rear camera low down on the bumper. My car's (Vectra) licence plate is very low down and felt like the natural place to put the rear camera, however past 5 o'clock these days it becomes useless as it's completely dazzled by headlights behind me. Better to have the rear camera out of the beam of driving lights. Works great as a reversing camera location at all times though.

op8yf8.png
    and
    iqwkzn.png
    vs
    jj49cy.png

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Hi,
    What would be a better choice in your opinion: DDPAI M6 Plus or Nexbase 412GW ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Hi guys I have a ddpai m6 plus and having trouble updating it. Is there a way of doing it manually rather than through the app. I've seen the instructions but they don't make much sense to a computer phone like me. Can anyone help??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

TheChizler wrote: »
    One thing I would avoid if I was doing it again is installing the rear camera low down on the bumper. My car's (Vectra) licence plate is very low down and felt like the natural place to put the rear camera, however past 5 o'clock these days it becomes useless as it's completely dazzled by headlights behind me. Better to have the rear camera out of the beam of driving lights. Works great as a reversing camera location at all times though.

I went with the 2 system solution in the end - couldn't pass the Yi Dashcam on Amazon today at £36, and got a well reviewed wireless reversing cam for similar.

Just curious though, what dual camera set up do you have?

Just curious though, what dual camera set up do you have?
    Went with an Autovox M2, fairly decent setup. Screen is built into the mirror so very discreet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Next base 112? Saw this in Halfords for €58.... Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Have to say ive been using the Yi Dash cam for a while now , im very impressed by it especially at night, the boss seen it in my van and after viewing the sample footage asked me to order a few more for the work vans. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend them, only con is theres no suction mount, but that wasnt a big deal to me

Jesus where are you based? Ive been using them since they started,only ever had to collect one item (huge over sized item) even at Christmas i always found them quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 allyano16

If anybody on boards was thinking buying a high spec Nissan Qashqai consider this an option

http://www.adverts.ie/car/nissan/qas...f-4dr/14198363

2eugxac.jpg

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bought the Nextbase after. Definitely a mistake and would not recommend at all. Video quality is good but everything else is a flaming bag of turd.

Wow is it that bad.... Glad I went digging and got the real ddpai m6 plus as was going to get a next base one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Wow is it that bad.... Glad I went digging and got the real ddpai m6 plus as was going to get a next base one.

Where'd you get it? I think I've asked you before but cant remember now:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Damien360

I have the 412GW and couldn’t fault it. 3mins is standard on most cameras and was the same on my old 0801.

Register viewer is crap. I had trouble on win7 laptop but when I switched to win10 I had no bother viewing without glitch using whatever was Packaged on laptop.

Download first before viewing. Viewing from the camera is not good as it’s USB 2.

It doesn’t bootloop but asks you do you want to use it as mass storage device when you connect to laptop. Click yes and it works.

I had a suction mount fail just 2 weeks ago, emailed nextbase with pics and they sent me another without question.

I can’t fault them or the camera. I use it in 1080p mode and not 1440 mode. Win7 wasn’t happy with higher mode at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

jimbis wrote: »
    Where'd you get it? I think I've asked you before but cant remember now:o

I got it off amazon and got the halrd wire kit also.
    App for phone and links via WiFi.
    You can run back through and download the sections you want so cuts down on amount of video.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Best way to view videos is just connect to USB and browse the folder and use VLC media player, best video player for Windows hands down.

Quick question, I got a 212 for the rear. Mount is a bit neater than the 402G I have but it keeps falling off. New car and fresh mount, I believe it might be due to the tinted windows as my N plate kept falling off but the one on the front is grand...any advice to keep it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Quick question, I got a 212 for the rear. Mount is a bit neater than the 402G I have but it keeps falling off. New car and fresh mount, I believe it might be due to the tinted windows as my N plate kept falling off but the one on the front is grand...any advice to keep it up?

I had the same problem with my car and the front cam falling off. I got some 3M dual lock strips from Amazon and that finally did the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Damien360

I find it pretty decent at night. Very low light is not great but no worse than what you can see yourself. Motorway junction lighting at night is good. The older street lighting is a struggle. I think most of what you see in your vid is the grease on the outside of your windscreen. In fairness, you are testing it in the rain at night which even for your own eyes is not the best visibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Hey guys, I'm in the process of moving my front camera to the back to make space for my xiao yi that will be arriving soon. My question is, would I have any problem regarding the suction mount and heating strips on the back window of the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Sorry folks new to this I would like to buy a Dashcam for a Christmas present.
    is the Nextbase iN-CAR CAM™ 412GW the best out there? budget would be approx €100-€200.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement