Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭MFlack2012

Its supposed to have a prmanent feed from the vehicle. You dont charge it and then stick it in the windscreen.

Most are, yes. Some I've seen and with my particular one, it was supposed to be capable of lasting 30 mins plus on a charge without the need for cables etc. My car layout doesn't allow it to be plugged in continuously.

blade1 wrote: »
    Not really a dash cam but if battery life is what you want the Go Pro Hero lasts about 4 hours, excellent picture and sound quality.
    Disadvantages are you would have to turn it on and off manually and it has no screen.
    I use one for motorbikes so find it great for that.
    I bought it when they came out first for €100 but think they are around €125 now.

Sounds perfect, except for the manual turning on/off/no screen. This would distract me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,276 ✭✭✭✭blade1

MFlack2012 wrote: »
    Sounds perfect, except for the manual turning on/off/no screen. This would distract me :)

I know not perfect but I doubt there's a cheap cam out there that will beat it for battery life.
    Here's my one on the bike

blade1 wrote: »
    I know not perfect but I doubt there's a cheap cam out there that will beat it for battery life.
    Here's my one on the bike

I'm a typical blonde and forget to turn them on/off , then complain when I don't catch the fool that cuts me off, promises myself I'll be better tomorrow and remember and then don't. But may look into it as the quality seems excellent :D

I'm a typical blonde and forget to turn them on/off , then complain when I don't catch the fool that cuts me off, promises myself I'll be better tomorrow and remember and then don't. But may look into it as the quality seems excellent :D

Looking like nearing €200 for the cheapest in Argos! You got a bargain :D May hold off until Black Friday and see what kind of bargain I can find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Most are, yes. Some I've seen and with my particular one, it was supposed to be capable of lasting 30 mins plus on a charge without the need for cables etc. My car layout doesn't allow it to be plugged in continuously.

Which model was it, and did you have to remember to turn it on/off when you were using it ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

My car layout doesn't allow it to be plugged in continuously.

Sounds unusual....what kinda car?

eamonnq wrote: »
    Which model was it, and did you have to remember to turn it on/off when you were using it ? :confused:

I haven't a notion. It was on sale in January for €50 in Argos. Was great Quality picture but something wrong. Thought it was me at first. Never got a chance to turn it off :D Battery went dead in it after 6-7 minutes.

I've a Hyundai i30 and the cigarette lighters are well under the radio etc with USB etc (A good distance from the windscreen), which meant the short wire was tugged tight against the radio and all controls for the car, which wasn't suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

MFlack2012 wrote:

If you buy one in halfords they will install it in your car for 35 euro and it will come on and off with the ignition. Or any good mechanic could wire it in for you.

If you buy one in halfords they will install it in your car for 35 euro and it will come on and off with the ignition. Or any good mechanic could wire it in for you.

Thanks for that, didn't know that. Do you know if they fit only ones bought in Halfords? All the cheapest ones are Nextbase (Wouldn't feel comfortable buying again) and prices on the others are extreme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭yannakis

Two questions for my newly purchased Nextbase 412GW, maybe someone can help.
      Too much vibration. It's also visible in the videos. Any way to improve this?
      Many videos (besides the ones from Parking mode) are marked as protected without my input. Any way to fine-tune this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Damien360

yannakis wrote: »
    Two questions for my newly purchased Nextbase 412GW, maybe someone can help.
      Too much vibration. It's also visible in the videos. Any way to improve this?
      Many videos (besides the ones from Parking mode) are marked as protected without my input. Any way to fine-tune this?

I found the vibration is related to the coupling on the suction mount. The large coupling. Tighten that. Also the large block used on the power cable to prevent static feedback can hit off the unit if not fully secure.

As for protected mode. Mine does not do that unless I physically find the video and mark it. There is also a touch button on it to protect but I found it fiddly so I don’t use it. Have you set the record mode to loop ? That will just overwrite the oldest file on SD
    so it never just fills up. That might cause protected mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Damien360 wrote: »
    I found the vibration is related to the coupling on the suction mount. The large coupling. Tighten that. Also the large block used on the power cable to prevent static feedback can hit off the unit if not fully secure.

As for protected mode. Mine does not do that unless I physically find the video and mark it. There is also a touch button on it to protect but I found it fiddly so I don’t use it. Have you set the record mode to loop ? That will just overwrite the oldest file on SD
    so it never just fills up. That might cause protected mode.

You might need to turn down the g sensor sensitivity. This doesn't affect the parking mode sensitivity which I had to turn off, if the 412 is the same as the 312. Also if the parking mode triggers with power off because you've eg closed the door the recording doesn't continue when power is applied, the camera shuts down.

I did read online that the first file on camera startup can be protected every time which means the SD card fills up, symptom is a solid red light. Needs to be reformatted to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭yannakis

You might need to turn down the g sensor sensitivity. This doesn't affect the parking mode sensitivity which I had to turn off, if the 412 is the same as the 312. Also if the parking mode triggers with power off because you've eg closed the door the recording doesn't continue when power is applied, the camera shuts down.

I did read online that the first file on camera startup can be protected every time which means the SD card fills up, symptom is a solid red light. Needs to be reformatted to clear.

Ah that must be it, I'll look for the the g sensor sensitivity in the settings! Banking around with 17'' wheels must be triggering it.

One file protected per startup is not too bad, I'll be checking the SD card often anyway (and emptying that folder after picking up what's valuable). Last night for example I had 118 protected files after 2 days of commuting 15km to work and back :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

So, my 156 has reached the end of the road. I put off replacing the timing belt and the inevitable happened.

Anyone interested in a really low (<40k) mileage 2004 156 1.6 for a project or to do a re-build? I put €600 into her in the past few months including a replacement rear shock and 2 new tyres etc, so thats what I'm looking to get for her. It has lovely Selespeed alloys and is otherwise in really great condition. Not interested in selling in parts......

Waterford based.

Pic from a little while back
    429911.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Patww79 wrote: »

Yes. TransFlash and microSD cards are functionally identical allowing either to operate in devices made for the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mikko Mallikas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

if i install 2 dash cams, but they are single channel each, one front and one rear

would i run into difficulty if i was hard wiring them to the fuse box so that they both work in parking mode?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

BArra wrote: »
    if i install 2 dash cams, but they are single channel each, one front and one rear

would i run into difficulty if i was hard wiring them to the fuse box so that they both work in parking mode?

The only issue might be power consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

hopefully the voltage cutoff from the parking mode cable/s would prevent a dead battery!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

I'm caught between the DDPai mini and the VIOFO a119 (recommended by a friend).
    Any advice or input of what I should go for? The app is handy on the DDPai but not nessessary for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Can anyone recommend a place that sells and hard wires them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Your best bet would be to buy one along with a hard wire kit and then get someone competent to wire it in. It's very easy for someone with a bit of electrical knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

If you buy it in Halford's, they do it for €35.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

If your stuck halfords does fitting once you've bought one from there.

Edit: hadn't seen the reply until I refreshed the page.

Not to go off-topic but something like this might be better, you can view from your phone and get email alerts etc. as well.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-VStarcam-Wifi-IP-Camera-720P-Night-Vision-2-Way-Audio-Wireless-Motion-Alarm-Mini-Smart/32813276193.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.VrYhlL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

eamonnq wrote: »
    Not to go off-topic but something like this might be better, you can view from your phone and get email alerts etc. as well.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-VStarcam-Wifi-IP-Camera-720P-Night-Vision-2-Way-Audio-Wireless-Motion-Alarm-Mini-Smart/32813276193.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.VrYhlL

All cheap chinese crap.

Have tried a Few and the BEST one by a mile is the TP LINK NC-450

Remote View from your phone / internet
    Pan & Tilt so you get an almost 360 view
    Micro SD card
    Records 24 hrs in a loop!

Sorry to go off topic , but wanted to save you the headache.

Go for this, you wont regret it.

• Advertisement

ION08 wrote: »
    All cheap chinese crap.

I have the Vstarcam and it does a great job, not all 'chinese crap' is chinese crap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement