Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holy Mother, I'm Earthbound!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Found some shots of Monkeykube's cart undergoing the conversion.

2d9u5pd.jpg

117edzn.jpg

2qimyol.jpg

Partially wired:

2nsarm1.jpg

Some more wiring done.

33z66tg.jpg

I never got a finished shot of the whole thing because it was glitchy on my system so I thought there was a fault somewhere. Totally forgot to get snaps of the Clock Tower cart too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Stop with the IC pr0n!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Stop with the IC pr0n!

In that last pic it looks like two of the tiny ic legs have been bridged together with a dab of solder. Thats the way it arrived & at first I thought that might be what was causing the glitches, but it turns out those two legs get linked up anyway so its normal.

Apparently, o1s1n is now Earthbound. Here's some pics of whats awaiting him after his Phantasy Star buzz...

Mother 2 & Earthbound rom flashed to chip with TSOP adapter

ao0pb4.jpg

Cart opened, ready to proceed with removing the Maskrom on the pcb

2efkyeb.jpg

Desoldering in progress

2z4lso2.jpg

2vtbdi8.jpg

Eventually after all pins have been desoldered, the Maskrom can be removed

ibxmie.jpg

I remove the pins on the TSOP adapter, rather then cutting traces on the cart. This way the cart is left original, & can be restored back to a Mother 2. Plus, its just a neater way of doing it

1zpnt54.jpg

TSOP Adapter then fits into place

2940yfp.jpg

The pins come through on the solder side, these have to be trimmed later on to ensure that the cart fits back together properly.

33z2tzm.jpg

All soldered up...

ra9d2b.jpg

2qvbes3.jpg

Pins snipped, the cart then goes back together perfectly

1zdrkht.jpg

So at that stage its time to take the cart up to the games room to test it. Pop it into the Snes & whadyano....

2mwz2x.jpg

fu55xs.jpg

2dtbz3r.jpg

qy8k9j.jpg

2qvs31c.jpg

2hov4h2.jpg

So there you have it, no glitches this time. Works perfectly :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Damn, forgot all about it!
    PM me your address and I'll post to you, with fundage, then I'll collect it from you at O1s1ns Beers!

I just started earthbound yesterday.just at the police station.playing it on my mame cab with a usb controller.I've a button on the cp for quick save and quick load.super handy.Id go mental otherwise having to get back to where I was!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

No glitches???? Brilliant! I cant wait to give this a go. Its been on my to play list now for longer than I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

May you all spit on me for not knowing anything about this game. Heard it mentioned a lot so did some research, fascinating anti piracy, deletes your saves ! Ouch

eddhorse wrote: »
    May you all spit on me for not knowing anything about this game. Heard it mentioned a lot so did some research, fascinating anti piracy, deletes your saves ! Ouch

Yeah it has some pretty intrusive anti-piracy mechanisms that constantly check the game throughout playtime. Thebeauty of this solution though is its running off of a legit cart so as far as the code is concerned, everything is as it should be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Well that's lucky for you isn't it.

So watched most of a speed run today :
    http://youtu.be/gs2K6ZnmsTg

Obviously without the game or emulator, wasn't much choice.

This one was 2 and a half hours.

What are the different "glitches" I keep hearing about oh mighty sage's of gaming?

Ed

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yeah it has some pretty intrusive anti-piracy mechanisms

British Intrusive Anti-piracy Measures, circa 1700's.....

439px-Victory_Portsmouth_um_1900.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

^- still not as bad as the dreaded.....

lenslockdevice.jpg

eddhorse wrote: »
    What are the different "glitches" I keep hearing about oh mighty sage's of gaming?

Ed

Savegame deletion after freezing on the last boss, spawning far more enemies than there are meant to be making it hard to even move in places, it checks the cart has the exact amount of ram it should do as pirate carts & copiers tend to have more ram, checks to make sure the other checks havn't been disabled, certain unknown checks.

Some interesting info on it here - http://earthboundcentral.com/2011/05/earthbounds-copy-protection/

Ciderman joins the ranks of those of us who are now Earthbound

1z69uzp.jpg

17qo45.jpg

15d6ltx.jpg

aw5i6b.jpg

Master of the Universe

Still no glitchyness no?

By the way, after playing this, your name now makes sense to me Mr.Saturn :pac:

I thought it was because you were into hula-hooping or something.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Still no glitchyness no?

Nope, worked perfect from the get go. Whatever it was that happened to Monkeykube's one that day hasn't happened with anyone elses. A total mystery, especially given it works on his console & not mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

o1s1n wrote: »
    I thought it was because you were into hula-hooping or something.

Kinda wishing that was the case now........

I imagined he played a lot of Nights and Clockwork Knight!

Thanks EnterNow for your diligent efforts to keep the thrifty amongst us playing only the good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I imagined he played a lot of Nights and Clockwork Knight!

Thanks EnterNow for your diligent efforts to keep the thrifty amongst us playing only the good stuff!

Hear, Hear. Really must get around to getting that copy of SoM2 translated that I picked up a while back.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Definitely. Beyond delighted with the results. Got to play through a game which I'd have to have dropped some serious coin for.

Really would love to do something similar with Secret of Mana 2 and ClockTower.

Advertisement