Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holy Mother, I'm Earthbound!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Your spot on, damn morals. As I said, I'm happy enough to do a regional repro...but changing one game into another doesn't interest me. I get pretty p1ssed off seeing fakes on ebay, I'd never contribute to that :)

Thought so!

Imagine seeing work you'd made up on ebay masquerading as the real thing in a bid to fool people out of their money.

Would make you sick!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Door to door no, but I always find myself having to meet at local landmarks etc as nobody knows the area :p

Spot on. I originally looked at doing this because of a game that go no release here, Clocktower. Only then did I branch out to Earthbound, because of the maddening price it commands. So the sweet spot is really for JP games that are fan translated, other than that, its not really worth doing

Pfft to that. €25 is buttons tbh, offer postage back on top I would else buyer has to collect. Price of diesel these days. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Price of diesel these days. :D

The price of rotting dinosaurs & vegetation has never seemed more expensive! :D

Master of the Universe

Door to door no, but I always find myself having to meet at local landmarks etc as nobody knows the area :p

Ah jaysus no, was just winding you up. :pac: the amount of times you've traveled to the golden arches to meet me would probably drive you half way around the world. I just hope you don't get drive thru food there every time by the way, I'd be seriously considered about your health! :D
    Spot on. I originally looked at doing this because of a game that go no release here, Clocktower. Only then did I branch out to Earthbound, because of the maddening price it commands. So the sweet spot is really for JP games that are fan translated, other than that, its not really worth doing

Clocktower is the one with the guy chasing you around with the giant pair of scissors isn't it?

I can see why it wasnt released over here. Any idea what the Jap version usually commands?

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Pfft to that. €25 is buttons tbh, offer postage back on top I would else buyer has to collect. Price of diesel these days. :D

Should also factor in the price of all this online support ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

o1s1n wrote: »
    €25 is a very fair price for all of the soldering work...I'd be charging more if I was doing it.

See that's the problem, its really hard to justify the cost of the labour involved in any modding stuff like this. To do the job properly and pay yourself the minimum wage per hour can easily ratchet up the price beyond what people will pay.

Even more so when you've to spend hours developing the 'product' be it getting the ROM modification correct, designing circuits, writing code etc. You'll never make money unless you've a chinese factory pumping out stuff cheap.

Luckily enough people do this for fun rather then out-and-out profit :D

See that's the problem, its really hard to justify the cost of the labour involved in any modding stuff like this.

Spot on also, its either a case of:

1) You know in your head what the price should be, but the labour/time involved seems far too much for such a little cost, yet charging extra makes it overly expensive for a buyer.

2) You don't know what to charge, there's a fair bit of work involved but the end product can't justify the price your asking.

I do it for fun to an extent, but ultimately when you've to stand over something that might break, you have to weigh up the risks involved. Those MASK roms aren't the easiest things to remove unless you've a desoldering station, the plunger type tool I have doesn't always remove all the solder & the chances of lifting traces are very high in that case.

Master of the Universe

Before Enternow gets any stick for using the Chinese in his production line, I just want to draw your attention to this slide again.

rightthere.jpeg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Another archive photo to agree with the above. Here he is seen waving to locals.

Are_you_right_there_father_ted.jpg

Master of the Universe

That tiny little black square is actually a rom chip which he just removed from a cart.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Flashed rom & TSOP III adapter ordered! \o/

Flashed rom & TSOP III adapter ordered! \o/

Did you get the alternate ones that Ciderman linked to?

Master of the Universe

Yeah, seems to be exactly the same.

TSOP40 90NS speed. Also got the FUJITSU rom they suggested to go with it which is 32Mb.

Sure we'll find out in a month or so :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mine will be shipped tomorrow, happy days!

Master of the Universe

Hah! I sent the rom image into the guys to write for me.

He came back 'hey, you bought two chips but only one image - which one do you want us to burn it to?'

Seems I didn't realize the TSOP adapter already came with a rom. Doh!

He came back 'hey, you bought two chips but only one image - which one do you want us to burn it to?'

Yep, its a kit :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My advice, shin megami tensei fan translation but only if you like dungeon crawlers.

Just finished doing Monkeykubes Mother 2 & Clocktower. Clocktower is working away fine, no issues as far as I can see. Mother 2 though has some moderate graphical glitches & sprite corruption. Its done the exact same way as I done my own, the only difference is this has the chip that you lads ordered because the one I linked to is out of stock.

It shouldn't really make a difference, but maybe the speed of the chip isn't enough & its messing up timings...I'm not certain. Its not the rom image, as its the same one I used. Its not the soldering/wiring, as its treble checked. So its either a bad flash or the chip is the problem. I doubt its a bad flash, but I guess thats possible too.

Anyway, something for those waiting on your chips to ponder...they may not work correctly!

Perhaps one of the techies can say what the difference is between the chips? The confirmed working one is - 75EC - http://www.buyicnow.com/vp.php?pd=2503

While the one with issues is - 90PTN - http://www.buyicnow.com/vp.php?pd=2621

Master of the Universe

If Clocktower is working fine then it would have to be a bad TSOP adapter/chip/flash in the Mother 2 cart.

Seems odd that the adapter would work fine in one cart and not the other.From what I remember, I checked the speed and they were the same.

Ah well, sure we won't know until you try mine or Ciderdudes. Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

If Clocktower is working fine then it would have to be a bad TSOP adapter/chip/flash in the Mother 2 cart.

Seems odd that the adapter would work fine in one cart and not the other.From what I remember, I checked the speed and they were the same.

Ah well, sure we won't know until you try mine or Ciderdudes. Fingers crossed!

Don't certain carts require different speeds, obviously the more demanding games use faster chips for the rom?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, the chip I was recommended by the site doesn't work...
    Bugger!
    @rse!

The first device: AMD AM29F032B-75EC has a maximum access time of 70ns

The second: Fujitsu MBM29F033C-90PTN has a maximum access time of 90ns

So there's a 20ns difference between these two, (the correct Fujitsu part would be MBM29F033C-70).

Apparently, SNES carts are either 'SlowROM' or 'FastROM' types, FastROM access times are 120ns so the Fujitsu chip is well within spec.

The first device: AMD AM29F032B-75EC has a maximum access time of 70ns

The second: Fujitsu MBM29F033C-90PTN has a maximum access time of 90ns

So there's a 20ns difference between these two, (the correct Fujitsu part would be MBM29F033C-70).

Apparently, SNES carts are either 'SlowROM' or 'FastROM' types, FastROM access times are 120ns so the Fujitsu chip is well within spec.

Cheers, it must be a bad flash so? There's really no much else that can be wrong...

****e soldering :)

If the corruption is the same every time then ya bad flash is a prime suspect.

Master of the Universe

Is there any particular reason why maybe a slower chip would work better?
    I've come across some emulation scenarios where lower capacity SD cards do a better job than high capacity ones.

I may just be talking through my arse though :pac: I know nothing about the technicalities of rom chips.

Nope, the SNES CPU ask the ROM chip for data at address XYZ and expects that data to be ready for reading a certain amount of time later.

In this case the SNES expects the data to be ready in no longer than 120ns.

****e soldering :)

Then my one wouldn't work, they're identical.
    If the corruption is the same every time then ya bad flash is a prime suspect.

The level of corruption did change in places between power cycles though

Master of the Universe

Did you try blowing on the cart? :D

• Advertisement

Well lets hope the great and powerful EnterNow keeps churning away, behind the curtain, making magic for the rest of us!

Advertisement