Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holy Mother, I'm Earthbound!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Did you try blowing on the cart? :D

Yep :D Cleaned it with qtips etc to be sure.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well lets hope the great and powerful EnterNow keeps churning away, behind the curtain, making magic for the rest of us!

Its an odd one, but when this whole situation arose regarding this different branded chip I did state:
    EnterNow wrote: »
    If they say its compatible then it should be fine, though I must stress, if it doesn't work it won't be my fault :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Anybody entering in to this should be aware that these type of things don't always run smoothly due to the nature of the task at hand, I said this to EnterNow before I even gave him the carts and chips. My son is playtesting Mother at the moment and so far so good, I have not seen one glitch yet. He's playing it on a super famicom no mods or converters about a half an hour in and no missing text or sprites, all may not be lost will update later:pac:

Monkeykube wrote: »
    My son is playtesting Mother at the moment and so far so good, I have not seen one glitch yet. He's playing it on a super famicom no mods or converters about a half an hour in and no missing text or sprites, all may not be lost will update later:pac:

So its playing ok on your system??? :eek:

so far everything looks grand, was is glitching from the title screen onwards or was the title screen messed up as the letters came together?

The title screen was a garbled mess on my system, so if it looks normal on yours then thats just weird. More so because my SFC cart worked perfectly. The text screen then when your inputing the character names had some garbled characters too so it should be very obvious

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

"Curiouser and Curiouser" said Alice....
    imagescal2yk2t.jpg?w=640

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

This is all pretty interesting. Seems to be no consistency! Do you guys know if the glitches are the same each time or do they change?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Blame the gnomes, they're always causing this sort of stuff to happen..

This is all pretty interesting. Seems to be no consistency! Do you guys know if the glitches are the same each time or do they change?

For me they were largely the same, heavily corrupted intro graphics, corrupted sprites etc. They level of corruption would change on power cycles but it was always bad & similar

Still yet to see anything strange yet this end so far I'm still Earthbound. Prices were good as I got lucky with both, picked up both games for less than 60 euro delivered. Even taking the modding costs in to account for both games it's far less than the cost of a US cart only Earthbound on its own.

p1020499l.jpg
    p1020496j.jpg
    p1020495n.jpg
    p1020498c.jpg

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Oh wait, I read that Monkeykube's one was glitching! So it's completely glitch free? Brilliant!

So this is only glitching on your modded PAL snes Enternow? Yet your own one plays fine?

That is really feckin weird. If they were both glitching on your system we could put it down to simple timing issues like I get with PAL optimized games on my modded Super Famicom. (I get awful glitching playing a PAL Starfox on the Famicom, be it in 50 or 60hz)

Here's one possibility, maybe Jap Mother 2 has timing issues when playing it on a PAL console. For some reason, one TSOP adapter sorts out the issues, the other one doesn't.

One way of getting a clear answer on that is for you to continue and mod mine and Ciderman's carts. If Ciderman's one glitches out on his PAL snes (I think he has a PAL snes?) yet my one plays fine on the Super Famicom we'll know it's that.

It must be some sort of compatibility issue, it's a bit of a strange one. I know that there are many layers of protection on the original cart, could this have anything to do with it.

Oh wait, I read that Monkeykube's one was glitching! So it's completely glitch free? Brilliant!

So this is only glitching on your modded PAL snes Enternow? Yet your own one plays fine?

That is really feckin weird. If they were both glitching on your system we could put it down to simple timing issues like I get with PAL optimized games on my modded Super Famicom. (I get awful glitching playing a PAL Starfox on the Famicom, be it in 50 or 60hz)

Here's one possibility, maybe Jap Mother 2 has timing issues when playing it on a PAL console. For some reason, one TSOP adapter sorts out the issues, the other one doesn't.

One way of getting a clear answer on that is for you to continue and mod mine and Ciderman's carts. If Ciderman's one glitches out on his PAL snes (I think he has a PAL snes?) yet my one plays fine on the Super Famicom we'll know it's that.

Nope, it was glitching on my stock NTSC Us Snes....which plays my own Mother 2/Earthbound cart perfectly...bizarre! I wonder was there a connection issue between the cart & my console or something...though all my other carts play perfectly. I'm at a loss :confused:

Monkeykube that title screen etc looks perfect, it was nothing like that on my system so I'd be happy enough whatever was causing the glitching was on my end. Clock Tower is a thing of beauty too :cool:

Happy ending so. Cancel red alert & drop the shields people.

Monkeykube wrote: »
    It must be some sort of compatibility issue, it's a bit of a strange one. I know that there are many layers of protection on the original cart, could this have anything to do with it.

I don't see why your cart gives different results to mine, they're identical, so it can't be anything to do with protection etc. Definitely a weird one. US Snes consoles can play SFC games natively, so its nothing to do with modded consoles either.

Monkeykube that title screen etc looks perfect, it was nothing like that on my system so I'd be happy enough whatever was causing the glitching was on my end. Clock Tower is a thing of beauty too :cool:

I wasn't even going to try it tbh, when I did I was saying this lad must be real fussy because I can't see a whole lot wrong. Big thanks again for sorting things out.

The Happy Video Game Nerd shares some thoughts on Earthbound...to whet the appetites of those still waiting on their tsop adapters :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm, I wonder if you could do the same with a mother 3 cart?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hmm, I wonder if you could do the same with a mother 3 cart?

Being a GBA cart, I don't think so. From my limited reading up on GBA repro's, they're basically flash carts swapped into the shell of a genuine game, & set to autoboot without the usual menu etc.

I'd settle for that I think...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have both pal and Ntsc US consoles so I get to check it on both.
    Looking forward to it, hopefully before Judasday

I have both pal and Ntsc US consoles so I get to check it on both.
    Looking forward to it, hopefully before Judasday

There's some real intense protection schemes built into Earthbound, I think they only affect rom/emulation & pirate carts etc? So I think it should be ok on a modded PAL snes

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

How long ago did we order those TSOP adapters now? I don't have much faith in it arriving before the end of the year.

Edit - ahhh, timestamp. 22/11/2012

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81885660&postcount=72

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If the protection is on in Earthbound you wouldn't be having any fun with the game. It fills the screen with a stupid amount of enemies.

Master of the Universe

If the protection is on in Earthbound you wouldn't be having any fun with the game. It fills the screen with a stupid amount of enemies.

Best form of copy protection ever.

Yeah I've read about it, its quite ingenious. And thats only one effect!

Just curious, is this still working ok Monkeykube? Have the damned title screen music stuck in my head for says now!

Master of the Universe

Apparently a 'little computer board' arrived in the post yesterday. I could not for the life of me figure out what it must have been. The only board I was waiting for is an arcade one. And it's far from little.

Silly me! It must be the TSOP adapter.

Apparently a 'little computer board' arrived in the post yesterday. I could not for the life of me figure out what it must have been. The only board I was waiting for is an arcade one. And it's far from little.

Silly me! It must be the TSOP adapter.

Not a bad turn around time, mine seemed to take forever!

Just curious, is this still working ok Monkeykube? Have the damned title screen music stuck in my head for says now!

I am waiting until Christmas to start myself but my son has been playing it without any issues. Picked up Paper Mario on 3ds for him for Christmas morning. I think once it is working it will stay working, but I still don't know why it wouldn't work on yours although your copy works okay. All that's a bit:confused:

Woohoo! My thingy arrived this morning!
    So, what's the process EnterNow?

• Advertisement

So, what's the process EnterNow?

Out with the old & in with the new :D

Advertisement