Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holy Mother, I'm Earthbound!

Options
  • 20-11-2012 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Well I installed the flash chip into the Mother 2 cart, low & behold it worked. Mother 2 in all its English glory {Also known as Eartbound in its localized form}

Desoldered the first mask rom, Solder in the adaptor & flash rom, make two slight changes to the wiring of the cart by removing pins on the adapter board {rather than cutting cart traces} & wiring them to alternate points.

idunex.jpg

jzzi1u.jpg

2q3ai6x.jpg

256cody.jpg

29qbdj7.jpg

Sorted! I know what my Xmas day game is gonna be this year :D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I shall prebook the next one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hope you enjoy playing one of the best games ever made!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I hope you enjoy playing one of the best games ever made!

I playtested it for about 15 mins so far, & I just know by the dialogue, music, controls etc I'm gonna love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBvpquqKj9op7Ic3Xfq0X-K03QOISvzoL0ilaZLjt7pchr7_wX

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Meh its no VideoPac or Boulder Dash:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This could get you all sorts of attention Enternow!
    Better buy Mother 2 quick before the price gets driven up!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nice work man!!!!!

/Runs to ebay to buy Mother 2.

How'd you flash the rom? do you have an eeprom writer?

o1s1n wrote: »
    How'd you flash the rom? do you have an eeprom writer?

The site that offers the tsop adapter & flash chip offer a rom burning service for 50 cent or something. So i obtained what I wanted in rom form, removed the header, fixed the checksum etc etc & emailed it to them to burn for me :)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    This could get you all sorts of attention Enternow!

Ah I'm very mindful of repro's & the carry on around them, thats why I'll only ever do this to a real Mother 2 cart. I'll not be converting any other games into Earthbounds, only like for like {JP to English} :)

Clocktower is next on my list :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Great news, this is on the way over at the moment. It may need your attention.;)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/400337436459?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

• Advertisement

Monkeykube wrote: »
    Great news, this is on the way over at the moment. It may need your attention.;)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/400337436459?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Ooh, nice! Decent price for it too!

It's slightly lower than what it usually sells for and the seller done a good deal on combined shipping, I'm still on the lookout for Mother though:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Make sure fan translations run on the proper hardware first. Many are optimised for emulators so can have timing problems on real hardware.

What's for tea Mother? Pins again!!!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Make sure fan translations run on the proper hardware first. Many are optimised for emulators so can have timing problems on real hardware.

Thats where bsnes comes in handy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Interesting fact 457:
    Enternow rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Good job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

shut-up-and-take-my-money-23274.jpg

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Interesting fact 457:
    Enternow rocks!
    Good job :)

Cheers men, though its really mmmonkeys work. Its not as if I sat with cart schematics & a white board and figured it all out :o

Master of the Universe

Just so you guys know, if you want to pick up mother 2 - get it from Hit-japan and don't pay the buy it now price.

I offered them $27 dollars which was well below the BIN (I think it was 36) and they accepted :)

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Just so you guys know, if you want to pick up mother 2 - get it from Hit-japan and don't pay the buy it now price.

I offered them $27 dollars which was well below the BIN (I think it was 36) and they accepted :)

Yeah I got my mint CIB one for $30 plus $9 postage by way of making an offer.

If anyone is looking to do this, or have it done, you'll need to order one of these too - http://www.buyicnow.com/vp.php?pd=2503 They're out of stock at the minute but I expect they'll have more in soon.

Oh & don't forget to add the rom burning service to your basket, you'll need to email them the rom too. It needs to be headerless, & be exactly 3145728 bytes {Earthbound}

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Master of the Universe

And suddenly the price of Mother 2 began to increase...

It's The Tower all over again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

http://www.buyicnow.com/fincat.php?cat=983

Will this do?
    It's in stock and they say it's fully compatible.

Pretty impressive price for it man, lovely GET!

Will this do?

If they say its compatible then it should be fine, though I must stress, if it doesn't work it won't be my fault :o

Those chips come from Hong Kong & take a while to get here, so you may do all the reading up on Earthbound as you can :)

Mother 2 cart sales to Ireland have spiked it seems :D

Will this do?

Also, DO NOT FORGET TO ADD THE ROM BURNING SERVICE TO YOUR CART & SEND THEM THE ROM, OR THE CHIP WILL ARRIVE BLANK

Here's the finished article. You can see in the bottom right, is the tsop adapter. This is where the original MASK type rom was before.

s5fss9.jpg

I'll keep the original ROM in the cart box too, for the sake of completion.

35ism1k.jpg

And thats that, the closest thing you'll get to a boxed Earthbound for much less than your monthly wage!

35jdli0.jpg

• Advertisement

That looks a nice tidy job. Have to look for a copy myself;)

Advertisement