Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pointless is the best entertainment show out there

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Wonder how many episodes they do in a day, presumably a lot more than just one?

Two in the afternoon, one more in the evening.

If I lived in London I would love to go to a recording

http://www.applausestore.com/applausestore-book-show.php?id=275&bid=1

• Registered Users Posts: 72,140 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

There was once a pointless round on the Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett and I had to stop myself from squeeing, because I got most of them.

I squeed when the round was 'Bon Jovi Singles'...I named NINE pointless answers, and I'm not even a fan...honest!

*hides record collection*

I squeed when the round was 'Bon Jovi Singles'...I named NINE pointless answers, and I'm not even a fan...honest!

*hides record collection*

Two or three would be admirable, but NINE - Say it isn't so! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Richard Osman tweeted this a few hours ago:
    We tried out a new endgame for #Pointless today. It was GREAT! Wouldn't be on screen for a while though. But very exciting.

Should the endgame be changed? The current one has worked well enough for over 300 episodes now...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Richard Osman tweeted this a few hours ago:

Should the endgame be changed? The current one has worked well enough for over 300 episodes now...

Yeah I saw that alright, it has me more than a little worried. I guess we'll have to wait an see, not even sure what they could change it to.

I trust them not to screw up, and even if they do they can always switch back.

• Advertisement

I hope they don't, the endgame is the best part of it. Just the right level of difficulty - if anyone wins the jackpot they deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I preferred it when there was a choice of three for the final. It made it harder and will someone ever pick Katie Price or Spanish Pop lol. I guarantee you that an easy enough question would follow.

Finally there was a question which kind of related to "A song of Ice and Fire". This made me disturbingly happy :pac: Every time a fiction round came up I lived in hope.

So it finally paid off with
    1 point for "A Game of Thrones" being the book that came before "A Clash of Kings"
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

They really are scraping the bottom of the so called "celebrity" barrel on these shows, I only recognised yer one who is a royal "correspondent'" and 2 judges from a cooking show who are hardly celebrities and the rest I never seen before. I prefer the regular show as, though there are a few, you generally don't get total dopes like that "reality tv" git during the week who under the heading "Authors" thought that Beauty and the Beast was written by James Cameron, even if he'd said an 18th or 19th century author that was wildly out like Dickens it would have been ok, but a late 20th century film director:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Last two geography end game questions I've had a field day!

European capitals south of London I got five:
    Podgorica, Chisinau, Ljubljana, Yerevan and Vaduz

And today's one about countries with a ten hours difference to GMT I got five as well:
    Nauru, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Kiribati and Solomon Islands

Love it when your favourite categories come up!

• Advertisement

Richard Osman is on great form on Have I got News for You? tonight.

He has had some very good lines, and he just won two bonus points by naming ten Spice Girls singles. I doubt if the Spice Girls could remember ten of their songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

On yesterday's episode where the final question was about flags with three lines in them I got one right that I reckon a lot of Irish people may have got...
    The Ivory Coast flag - which is like the Irish flag reversed - was a pointless answer

Anyone else get that one (or others)?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Skid wrote: »

He has had some very good lines, and he just won two bonus points by naming ten Spice Girls singles. I doubt if the Spice Girls could remember ten of their songs.

I thought that he looked massive next to Ian Hislop, and then he made a joke about being 'Lofty Spice' in the Spice Girls, so I looked it up and he's 6'7" (2.01m)!

Having always seen him sitting on Pointless (just with his desk/laptop to compare scale) he never looked like he was particularly tall. Have they ever mentioned it in his banter with Alexander?

Not that it matters or anything but usually people play on their height if they're that tall (eg Greg Davies, Stephen Merchant, Humphrey Ker).

Gamayun wrote: »
    Having always seen him sitting on Pointless (just with his desk/laptop to compare scale) he never looked like he was particularly tall. Have they ever mentioned it in his banter with Alexander?

Quite a bit. There have been a few occasions when he has come from behind his desk too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

lertsnim wrote: »
    Quite a bit. There have been a few occasions when he has come from behind his desk too.

Wtf.....my life is a lie!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I got to the recording of it. He came out and said Im bricking it and hope that Ill be in any way funny and please just laugh at my silly jokes but turns out he was the funnest by far on the show. His one liners were great. He didn't even want to bring up that he has a book out or his show was on at 5:15 he just wanted to be funny and not pimp himself out. respect.

These celebrity editions are useless. I find myself fast forwarding most of them.

lertsnim wrote: »
    These celebrity editions are useless. I find myself fast forwarding most of them.

I think the 2 week batch that's on at the moment during weekdays is much better than the ones that were on Saturday night. These celebs seem a little less "Look at me" but I agree it's still not a patch on the general Pointless we know and love .

I am not liking how they tweaked the show. I wish they left all that getting to know the contestants stuff at the start. Was handy for fast forwarding. Now it's all done in the middle of rounds :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Can't beat "A Question Of Sport".

• Advertisement

Seriously? It is about a decade since it was any good.

A League of their Own is far superior. But still not nearly as good as Pointless, obviously :)

Seriously? It is about a decade since it was any good.

A League of their Own is far superior. But still not nearly as good as Pointless, obviously :)
    Yea, I didn't watch it for years until their lately. It's brilliant again. Be in stitches.

Pointless is rarely funny.

Yea, I didn't watch it for years until their lately. It's brilliant again. Be in stitches.

Pointless is rarely funny.

Pointless is rarely unfunny when Richard and Alexander get going. Don't pay any attention to the celebrity episodes, but the nitty gritty weekday shows are great craic.

Pointless is rarely unfunny when Richard and Alexander get going. Don't pay any attention to the celebrity episodes, but the nitty gritty weekday shows are great craic.
    Na, it's not like lol, maybe a giggle. And the show drags on for to long.

QOS is painful to watch. Maybe I don't have the kind of sense of humour needed to enjoy it.

That was a great episode of Pointless. There'd be fairly long odds on Alexander beating Richard in a fight :D

Andre Villas-Boas had a huge influence in the first round. The pair that got to the final were my favourites for a long time. The niece had a Keira Knightley thing going on too which always helps ;).
    Absolutely gutted they didn't win, really deserved it.

Those one topic quizzes can never beat a general knowledge quiz like "Pointless".

That was a great episode of Pointless. There'd be fairly long odds on Alexander beating Richard in a fight :D

Andre Villas-Boas had a huge influence in the first round. The pair that got to the final were my favourites for a long time. The niece had a Keira Knightley thing going on too which always helps ;).
    Absolutely gutted they didn't win, really deserved it.

No way, Tanya was a much more attractive contestant:) Also I'd say Mike got a good kicking when he got back to Sarf London after him getting that Classical music question right : " You like that Tchaikovsky bloke eh Mike, bit of a poof eh?".

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

Yesterday's episode was very funny. Richard's response to the physics student answering on the periodic table was hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

muckisluck wrote: »
    Yesterday's episode was very funny. Richard's response to the physics student answering on the periodic table was hilarious.

Delighted they lost, smug beyond belief.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement