Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pointless is the best entertainment show out there

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Here's the time when Pointless got Rickrolled... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Skid wrote: »
    Some genius from Strictly Come Dancing reckons GIN JIBE is an anagram of Belgium. (The answer was Beijing, in a round about Olympic Summer Games Venues)

She knew there was no L in GIN JIBE but went for it anyway. It is just as well she is hot.

I think you spell "hot" like she spells "Belgium" :pac:

I wasn't sure if she was pretending to be dim or whether or not there's something actually wrong with her, whoever she is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I wouldn't have thought she was anything special. I don't like episodes where they have people with an IQ lower than their shoe size. They usually turn out to be simpletons thinking they're God's gift to comedy.

Have to say I'm pretty gutted that Alex
    got through to the final today
    , first bit of eye-candy in a while. She also loves Geography *Swoons* :D

To be fair they were good contestants though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

Some genius from Strictly Come Dancing reckons GIN JIBE is an anagram of Belgium. (The answer was Beijing, in a round about Olympic Summer Games Venues)

She knew there was no L in GIN JIBE but went for it anyway.

Have to say it was my first time seeing this program and I thought it was mind-numbing, far too much waffle, far too few questions until Chelsea Healy (she's in Waterloo Road, though god knows how she manages to ever remember her lines she's that dim!) gave that answer, cracked me up! She was far more interested in constantly stroking her hair & not concentrating on the questions. Why the guy with her (can't remember who it was) didn't stop her saying Belgium though I just don't know as they were allowed to confer at that point! Two of a kind maybe!

• Site Banned Posts: 56 ✭✭TheLastLazyGun

I love Pointless. It's the only gameshow I've been a big fan of since BlockBusters.

I like the way that, instead of having normal questions, the topics on Pointless are ones that make you think more.

I quite like the geography ones such as "Capital cities further north than London" or "Countries which border the European Union".

So I quickly try to answer as many as I can by myself. So I suddenly say: "Well, there's Oslo, Reykjavik, Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen. What about Ottawa? That might be one. Erm, Moscow, I think. Warsaw" etc etc etc.

I also like the Pointless Celebrities on Saturday night.

Last night's episode was Ulrika Jonsson/Rowland Rivron VS David Hamilton/Tony Blackburn VS Austin Healey/Scott Quinnell VS Tim Vine/Karen Taylor.

Tony Blackburn was the first ever winner of "I'm a Celebrity..." back in 2002 so, because of that, Richard Osman had a bowl of bugs ready on last night's episode of Pointless Celebrities with a bug to be eaten everytime there is a wrong answer. But poor Alexander was shocked when he found out that it would be HIM who had to eat a bug everytime there was a wrong answer. But he didn't complain when he had to, though. In fact, he seemed to like eating them.

As it happens it was the two former rugby players who got through to the Final. But they were VERY unlucky - all of their three answers scored one point. Apparently, it was only the second time that that's ever happened.

I guess they have run out of new episodes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I hate "words ending in..."
    Or if the subject is english politics or the monarcy. Fast forward through that round.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I guess they have run out of new episodes

Richard Osman said this on twitter today:
    Next two weeks will be a run of brand new #pointlesscelebrities at 5.15, then back with 120 new episodes at the start of Jan #update

So panic not, Pointless will not be in repeat land for long :D I think he also said that it was the first repeat they had in 6 months. I guess not being on during the Olympics makes that true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Wonder how many episodes they do in a day, presumably a lot more than just one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Wonder how many episodes they do in a day, presumably a lot more than just one?

Two in the afternoon, one more in the evening.

If I lived in London I would love to go to a recording

http://www.applausestore.com/applausestore-book-show.php?id=275&bid=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,626 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

There was once a pointless round on the Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett and I had to stop myself from squeeing, because I got most of them.

I squeed when the round was 'Bon Jovi Singles'...I named NINE pointless answers, and I'm not even a fan...honest!

*hides record collection*

I squeed when the round was 'Bon Jovi Singles'...I named NINE pointless answers, and I'm not even a fan...honest!

*hides record collection*

Two or three would be admirable, but NINE - Say it isn't so! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Richard Osman tweeted this a few hours ago:
    We tried out a new endgame for #Pointless today. It was GREAT! Wouldn't be on screen for a while though. But very exciting.

Should the endgame be changed? The current one has worked well enough for over 300 episodes now...

Richard Osman tweeted this a few hours ago:

Should the endgame be changed? The current one has worked well enough for over 300 episodes now...

Yeah I saw that alright, it has me more than a little worried. I guess we'll have to wait an see, not even sure what they could change it to.

I trust them not to screw up, and even if they do they can always switch back.

• Advertisement

I hope they don't, the endgame is the best part of it. Just the right level of difficulty - if anyone wins the jackpot they deserve it.

I preferred it when there was a choice of three for the final. It made it harder and will someone ever pick Katie Price or Spanish Pop lol. I guarantee you that an easy enough question would follow.

Finally there was a question which kind of related to "A song of Ice and Fire". This made me disturbingly happy :pac: Every time a fiction round came up I lived in hope.

So it finally paid off with
    1 point for "A Game of Thrones" being the book that came before "A Clash of Kings"
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭Technocentral

They really are scraping the bottom of the so called "celebrity" barrel on these shows, I only recognised yer one who is a royal "correspondent'" and 2 judges from a cooking show who are hardly celebrities and the rest I never seen before. I prefer the regular show as, though there are a few, you generally don't get total dopes like that "reality tv" git during the week who under the heading "Authors" thought that Beauty and the Beast was written by James Cameron, even if he'd said an 18th or 19th century author that was wildly out like Dickens it would have been ok, but a late 20th century film director:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,545 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Last two geography end game questions I've had a field day!

European capitals south of London I got five:
    Podgorica, Chisinau, Ljubljana, Yerevan and Vaduz

And today's one about countries with a ten hours difference to GMT I got five as well:
    Nauru, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Kiribati and Solomon Islands

Love it when your favourite categories come up!

• Advertisement

Richard Osman is on great form on Have I got News for You? tonight.

He has had some very good lines, and he just won two bonus points by naming ten Spice Girls singles. I doubt if the Spice Girls could remember ten of their songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

On yesterday's episode where the final question was about flags with three lines in them I got one right that I reckon a lot of Irish people may have got...
    The Ivory Coast flag - which is like the Irish flag reversed - was a pointless answer

Anyone else get that one (or others)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

He has had some very good lines, and he just won two bonus points by naming ten Spice Girls singles. I doubt if the Spice Girls could remember ten of their songs.

I thought that he looked massive next to Ian Hislop, and then he made a joke about being 'Lofty Spice' in the Spice Girls, so I looked it up and he's 6'7" (2.01m)!

Having always seen him sitting on Pointless (just with his desk/laptop to compare scale) he never looked like he was particularly tall. Have they ever mentioned it in his banter with Alexander?

Not that it matters or anything but usually people play on their height if they're that tall (eg Greg Davies, Stephen Merchant, Humphrey Ker).

Gamayun wrote: »
    Having always seen him sitting on Pointless (just with his desk/laptop to compare scale) he never looked like he was particularly tall. Have they ever mentioned it in his banter with Alexander?

Quite a bit. There have been a few occasions when he has come from behind his desk too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Quite a bit. There have been a few occasions when he has come from behind his desk too.

Wtf.....my life is a lie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I got to the recording of it. He came out and said Im bricking it and hope that Ill be in any way funny and please just laugh at my silly jokes but turns out he was the funnest by far on the show. His one liners were great. He didn't even want to bring up that he has a book out or his show was on at 5:15 he just wanted to be funny and not pimp himself out. respect.

These celebrity editions are useless. I find myself fast forwarding most of them.

These celebrity editions are useless. I find myself fast forwarding most of them.

I think the 2 week batch that's on at the moment during weekdays is much better than the ones that were on Saturday night. These celebs seem a little less "Look at me" but I agree it's still not a patch on the general Pointless we know and love .

I am not liking how they tweaked the show. I wish they left all that getting to know the contestants stuff at the start. Was handy for fast forwarding. Now it's all done in the middle of rounds :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Can't beat "A Question Of Sport".

• Advertisement

Seriously? It is about a decade since it was any good.

A League of their Own is far superior. But still not nearly as good as Pointless, obviously :)

Seriously? It is about a decade since it was any good.

A League of their Own is far superior. But still not nearly as good as Pointless, obviously :)
    Yea, I didn't watch it for years until their lately. It's brilliant again. Be in stitches.

Pointless is rarely funny.

Yea, I didn't watch it for years until their lately. It's brilliant again. Be in stitches.

Pointless is rarely funny.

Pointless is rarely unfunny when Richard and Alexander get going. Don't pay any attention to the celebrity episodes, but the nitty gritty weekday shows are great craic.

Pointless is rarely unfunny when Richard and Alexander get going. Don't pay any attention to the celebrity episodes, but the nitty gritty weekday shows are great craic.
    Na, it's not like lol, maybe a giggle. And the show drags on for to long.

QOS is painful to watch. Maybe I don't have the kind of sense of humour needed to enjoy it.

That was a great episode of Pointless. There'd be fairly long odds on Alexander beating Richard in a fight :D

Andre Villas-Boas had a huge influence in the first round. The pair that got to the final were my favourites for a long time. The niece had a Keira Knightley thing going on too which always helps ;).
    Absolutely gutted they didn't win, really deserved it.

Those one topic quizzes can never beat a general knowledge quiz like "Pointless".

That was a great episode of Pointless. There'd be fairly long odds on Alexander beating Richard in a fight :D

Andre Villas-Boas had a huge influence in the first round. The pair that got to the final were my favourites for a long time. The niece had a Keira Knightley thing going on too which always helps ;).
    Absolutely gutted they didn't win, really deserved it.

No way, Tanya was a much more attractive contestant:) Also I'd say Mike got a good kicking when he got back to Sarf London after him getting that Classical music question right : " You like that Tchaikovsky bloke eh Mike, bit of a poof eh?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

Yesterday's episode was very funny. Richard's response to the physics student answering on the periodic table was hilarious.

• Advertisement

muckisluck wrote: »
    Yesterday's episode was very funny. Richard's response to the physics student answering on the periodic table was hilarious.

Delighted they lost, smug beyond belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

The new score screens in front of the contestants seem huge! There was a woman on it today and only the very top of her shoulders upward was visible, made her seem tiny. I've seen people standing on a box for the final rounds before, you'd think they would have these always to at least bring shorter people up so you could see their upper body...

Richard really loved that new chair :pac:

Oh and the
    jackpot of £20,250 was won too, didn't really like them though, been plenty of much more deserving/likable people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've been watching a lot of Pointless on the iPlayer over the past few weeks and 2 things struck me:

When they say they ask 100 people, are they talking about a previous audience? Cause it's certainly not a random 100 people on the street that they're asking.

Also, has anyone ever seen a non-national/any sort of immigrant on Pointless or any of these shows? I pay my UK TV Licence as I have been living in London for the past few years. I don't see why that should effect my ability to appear as a contestant on a show like this. It's pretty obvious that it does though.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I've been watching a lot of Pointless on the iPlayer over the past few weeks and 2 things struck me:

When they say they ask 100 people, are they talking about a previous audience? Cause it's certainly not a random 100 people on the street that they're asking.

Also, has anyone ever seen a non-national/any sort of immigrant on Pointless or any of these shows? I pay my UK TV Licence as I have been living in London for the past few years. I don't see why that should effect my ability to appear as a contestant on a show like this. It's pretty obvious that it does though.

Seen a good few Irish on there, from North and South, also seen Australians, Americans, Canadians, Dutch, Swedish, Polish and I'm sure there are probably other nationalities too. I don't think they give a fiddlers where people are from.

Fair enough, that's good to hear.

I can honestly say, in all the episodes I've seen, I've yet to see a non UK national play it.

Must be a complete coincidence then.

Might enter then!

• Advertisement

Good luck, hope you get on! Always that bit more difficult for people who weren't brought up in the UK as the more trivial questions about old kids shows, or old politicians etc make it harder.

I reckon a lot of us would nearly know more about their politicians than they do given past performances on the show!

I would love to enter just for the banter with Richard and Xander, although the money I'd obviously win would come in handy too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

I think you have to be a UK resident. After that anything goes. One of the funniest ever was a foreign national who came to Britain to learn English. He was asked some question about english football and the only answers he could give was Preston the town where first learned to speak English. It's worth looking up to see if it's on Youtube. As to the 100 people that is done by computer survey according to the FAQn in their Christmas bestselling book "Pointless"

But who are the sample 100 people? It has to be somewhat biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I reckon they ask across a decent spread of people, 50/50 men and women and spread evenly across ages. We can usually estimate accurately how many people will answer a given question. I'd expect around 50% of people to be able to name a Robbie Williams number one single, for example, but around 5 to able to name a minor royal from a picture.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement