Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pointless is the best entertainment show out there

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I wish they would publish somewhere all answers and their score. I understand that they can't go through all of them on the televised version, but when playing at home it'd be great if you could check a website or something to see what the answer you would have given would have scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

quickbeam wrote: »
    I wish they would publish somewhere all answers and their score. I understand that they can't go through all of them on the televised version, but when playing at home it'd be great if you could check a website or something to see what the answer you would have given would have scored.

Yes, that is probably the single biggest improvement they could make. Although I guess they don't so people can't just swat up on all the pointless answers so easily.

I mean if you watch the show regularly you'll know that if an African country beginning with C is what's required you'll go for Central African Republic. So I can forgive them that, despite being annoyed at not knowing what I scored at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,669 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Anybody watch the Celebrity version on a Saturday night? The episode with the 'comedians' was fantastic...Hale And Pace, Cannon and Ball, Keith Harris and Orville, Bobby Davro and Kenny Lynch. Not one of them could think of an answer, let alone a pointless answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

My favourite final round was when they had to name an Irish Taoiseach or President.

Nearly any correct answer would have been pointless. Our final pair went for those well known Irish Leaders Paddy Ashdown, Tony Benn and Neil Kinnock :D
    You didn't win the jackpot which rolls over to tomorrow, but you do go away with the Pointless Trophy. And you have been fantastice contestants ...

I enjoy "Breakaway" away too, even though it doesn't have a patch on Pointless. As somebody who studied Economics, I find it interesting to see what tactics people employ. So many people are not economically rational! :mad:

The presenter looks like a cuddly Warren Gatland too, all in all it's a good warm up for the main event!

• Advertisement

I don't mean to brag but I got all the pointless answers for
    European Football: Leverkusen, Dortmund, Monaco and Valencia

I also got
    Big Nothing
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Eggheads was the quiz show of choice in my college flat, we were obsessed with it. Pointless is excellent also, I tape every episode I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

I record every day except the one this week when the biggest jackpot was won. What was the winning category and the pointless answer they gave

Skid wrote: »
    My favourite final round was when they had to name an Irish Taoiseach or President.

Nearly any correct answer would have been pointless. Our final pair went for those well known Irish Leaders Paddy Ashdown, Tony Benn and Neil Kinnock :D

Reminds me of another round once where they had to name famous "Charles's" by the clue given. One clue was Irish Prime Minister for three terms (Haughey of course). One lady said she didn't know the answer so she'd just guess by saying Charles + an irish surname and chooses: "Charles Abraham"?? Alexander was fairly bemused :p

mobpd wrote: »
    I record every day except the one this week when the biggest jackpot was won. What was the winning category and the pointless answer they gave

If I remember rightly it was
    Countries with only one particular vowel in their name. The winning answer was Panama as far as I remember. Also Congo, Seychelles and Kazakhstan were pointless. There may have one or two others as well

• Advertisement

mobpd wrote: »

This Youtube account has been uploading all the recent episodes, although he doesn't have that one up yet.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cougarjack27

• Registered Users Posts: 71,669 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

This Youtube account has been uploading all the recent episodes, although he doesn't have that one up yet.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cougarjack27

Just call me the guy with the BBC iplayer :p:D:D
    The two old guys (Simon and Martin) selected the category 'Place Names'.
    The question was 'Single-Vowel Countries' - name countries with a single vowel in their name. After the minute was up, they chose (in order of least pointless) - Yemen, Fiji and Panama. Yemen took them down to 1, Fiji down to 2, Panama down to ££££££££££££ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

quickbeam wrote: »
    Reminds me of another round once where they had to name famous "Charles's" by the clue given. One clue was Irish Prime Minister for three terms (Haughey of course). One lady said she didn't know the answer so she'd just guess by saying Charles + an irish surname and chooses: "Charles Abraham"?? Alexander was fairly bemused :p

Remember that. It was very funny.

This is certainly in my top 5 Pointless moments, especially when Richard says:
    Look what you did!
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I can't wait for Euroipean Cup finalists of the 70's and 80's to come up, St. Etienne, Borussia Monchengladbach and Hamburg suddenly becomes useful information to have retained. Happened twice already.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Anyone remember a very early episode where the final question was on Irish counties? You just had to name three of the 32 counties. The average Irish person would have been overjoyed with that one although it was tricky trying to work out which ones were going to be the most obscure. I recall some counties were spelt funny. I think Laois was spelt as Laoghis or something along those lines.

From watching the show I get the impression the British know little to nothing about us. I remember one head to head question - can't recall what it was about - but the picture was of Mary McAleese and not only did none of the contestants know who she was, but it was a pointless answer. I would have thought with the visit of Elizabeth that she would have registered with at least one British person.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Anyone remember a very early episode where the final question was on Irish counties? You just had to name three of the 32 counties. The average Irish person would have been overjoyed with that one although it was tricky trying to work out which ones were going to be the most obscure. I recall some counties were spelt funny. I think Laois was spelt as Laoghis or something along those lines.

From watching the show I get the impression the British know little to nothing about us. I remember one head to head question - can't recall what it was about - but the picture was of Mary McAleese and not only did none of the contestants know who she was, but it was a pointless answer. I would have thought with the visit of Elizabeth that she would have registered with at least one British person.

British homes aren't saturated with Irish Television, "personalities" or News programmes so sadly its no surprise really they didn't know McAleese. Irish homes have access to more British Channels than they do Irish ones so would probably be more aware of famous British people? Just a theory.

Also depends on the 100 people they are asking too. Watched one the other day and only 60 odd knew that Obama's presidential address was the White House ffs.

Some genius from Strictly Come Dancing reckons GIN JIBE is an anagram of Belgium. (The answer was Beijing, in a round about Olympic Summer Games Venues)

She knew there was no L in GIN JIBE but went for it anyway. It is just as well she is hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Some genius from Strictly Come Dancing reckons GIN JIBE is an anagram of Belgium. (The answer was Beijing, in a round about Olympic Summer Games Venues)

She knew there was no L in GIN JIBE but went for it anyway. It is just as well she is hot.

She's not even that hot. Nothing going for her. I really hope that stupidity was put on!

I watched the series of Strictly she was on. Unfortunately her stupidity isn't put on. And I agree she's not hot either. Something very odd-looking about her actually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Here's the time when Pointless got Rickrolled... ;)

I think you spell "hot" like she spells "Belgium" :pac:

I wasn't sure if she was pretending to be dim or whether or not there's something actually wrong with her, whoever she is.

I wouldn't have thought she was anything special. I don't like episodes where they have people with an IQ lower than their shoe size. They usually turn out to be simpletons thinking they're God's gift to comedy.

Have to say I'm pretty gutted that Alex
    got through to the final today
    , first bit of eye-candy in a while. She also loves Geography *Swoons* :D

To be fair they were good contestants though

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

She knew there was no L in GIN JIBE but went for it anyway.

Have to say it was my first time seeing this program and I thought it was mind-numbing, far too much waffle, far too few questions until Chelsea Healy (she's in Waterloo Road, though god knows how she manages to ever remember her lines she's that dim!) gave that answer, cracked me up! She was far more interested in constantly stroking her hair & not concentrating on the questions. Why the guy with her (can't remember who it was) didn't stop her saying Belgium though I just don't know as they were allowed to confer at that point! Two of a kind maybe!

• Site Banned Posts: 56 ✭✭TheLastLazyGun

I love Pointless. It's the only gameshow I've been a big fan of since BlockBusters.

I like the way that, instead of having normal questions, the topics on Pointless are ones that make you think more.

I quite like the geography ones such as "Capital cities further north than London" or "Countries which border the European Union".

So I quickly try to answer as many as I can by myself. So I suddenly say: "Well, there's Oslo, Reykjavik, Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen. What about Ottawa? That might be one. Erm, Moscow, I think. Warsaw" etc etc etc.

I also like the Pointless Celebrities on Saturday night.

Last night's episode was Ulrika Jonsson/Rowland Rivron VS David Hamilton/Tony Blackburn VS Austin Healey/Scott Quinnell VS Tim Vine/Karen Taylor.

Tony Blackburn was the first ever winner of "I'm a Celebrity..." back in 2002 so, because of that, Richard Osman had a bowl of bugs ready on last night's episode of Pointless Celebrities with a bug to be eaten everytime there is a wrong answer. But poor Alexander was shocked when he found out that it would be HIM who had to eat a bug everytime there was a wrong answer. But he didn't complain when he had to, though. In fact, he seemed to like eating them.

As it happens it was the two former rugby players who got through to the Final. But they were VERY unlucky - all of their three answers scored one point. Apparently, it was only the second time that that's ever happened.

I guess they have run out of new episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I hate "words ending in..."
    Or if the subject is english politics or the monarcy. Fast forward through that round.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I guess they have run out of new episodes

Richard Osman said this on twitter today:
    Next two weeks will be a run of brand new #pointlesscelebrities at 5.15, then back with 120 new episodes at the start of Jan #update

So panic not, Pointless will not be in repeat land for long :D I think he also said that it was the first repeat they had in 6 months. I guess not being on during the Olympics makes that true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Wonder how many episodes they do in a day, presumably a lot more than just one?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement