Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic --> TV compare/Contrast thread/speculation ** for comic readers only **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

At this stage its either he or Darryl. It would be a cop out were it to be anybody else. Both characters have strong arguments for them to be the victim.... but Glenn is just edging it for me at the moment.

However if it were to be Glenn you would envisage both Maggie and Enid would be there to witness it also (enid of course being the Sofia of the comics at this juncture) Morgsns out and about so he is going to have a part to play, for some reason i think he may help Carol.

Michonne was also at Glenns Big Bash in the comics want she? No sign of her there.

I just think with Maggie being primed up to be the new Leader of Hilltop
    she even has had a haircut in reallife
    And all the indestructible Glenn drama earlier this season this should logically be his time.
    I ghi k the penultimate episode will give more hints though. Id love to just bi ge watch the twoepisodes together NOW!!!

While it is likely Glen... it is a little too expected for my liking. The show could throw a curve ball (pun intended) and offer up Carol for the chop. The more I think about it, the more I like that idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

While it is likely Glen... it is a little too expected for my liking. The show could throw a curve ball (pun intended) and offer up Carol for the chop. The more I think about it, the more I like that idea.

But it's also unexpected if we think it's so expected that it would be unexpected! Double bluff or even triple bluff! Also for non comic readers the whole Negan thing will be a shocker and Glenn dying will be good payoff for all the Rubbish bin rubbish (pun intended) earlier in the season.

Also as I said there is a huge butterfly effect from Glenn's death re Maggies character and I can't see them not taking that road.

Norman Reedus is an actor in demand however......

I don't think anyone that reads the comics will complain if it is Glenn even if it is expected due to it being a copy of the comic plot, not because they don't like his character, but moreso because it is such a monumental moment that only one of three characters at the mo will suffice, and yeah carol is one.

I'll be extremely disappointed if they kill off someone like Aaron. It has to be big and I don't think they'll let us down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

But it's also unexpected if we think it's so expected that it would be unexpected! Double bluff or even triple bluff! Also for non comic readers the whole Negan thing will be a shocker and Glenn dying will be good payoff for all the Rubbish bin rubbish (pun intended) earlier in the season.

Also as I said there is a huge butterfly effect from Glenn's death re Maggies character and I can't see them not taking that road.

Norman Reedus is an actor in demand however......

I don't think anyone that reads the comics will complain if it is Glenn even if it is expected due to it being a copy of the comic plot, not because they don't like his character, but moreso because it is such a monumental moment that only one of three characters at the mo will suffice, and yeah carol is one.

I'll be extremely disappointed if they kill off someone like Aaron. It has to be big and I don't think they'll let us down.

Not sure the bolded part makes sense. But yeah, that's a good point about Negan, I forgot his holier than thou attitude about women, that rules out Carol so.

The butterfly aspect is valid point, and while Glenn is surely up, hopefully they will someone else also otherwise it would just feel a bit meh...

By the way the cell that Morgan built, just realized that its probably will be Negan cell for the end of the war, can't believe it took me so long to realize that... in fairness I didn't think much of it at the time. But maybe there is a hint there... a sense of poetic justice, maybe Morgan is building a prison for the man who will kill him?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Re read the comics recently 85 -100(period covering 6b)
    Really good , ricks incompetence stands out he lets a saviour prisoner go ,he organises trip to kingdom at time of threat.dozes off on sentry duty resulting in glens death

The level of saviour death in show is staggering , hard to see how the events of 100-127 can pan out after so.much death

The show is flying thru comics at a much faster rate than previous seasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

the fella looking for his horse was a Kingdom Knight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Really hope they tone the Kingdom down in the show when it eventually comes into the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Seems that Darryl is on the ground in front of the Saviours whilst Neagan trys to broker a deal..

And........
    as I thought....Carol has found her way somehow to Neagan as he seems to have her rosary beads

The vid is gone now, but if it's the promo that's out then it's not Daryl on the ground, and I don't think that's Carol's hand with the rosary beads. The Saviour picked them up and went to track her down.

the fella looking for his horse was a Kingdom Knight.

I'd say we will meet Ezekiel towards the end of next episode, whether with a bloody lion (such a bad idea in the comics) or not.

smash wrote: »
    Seems that Darryl is on the ground in front of the Saviours whilst Neagan trys to broker a deal..

And........

The vid is gone now, but if it's the promo that's out then it's not Daryl on the ground, and I don't think that's Carol's hand with the rosary beads. The Saviour picked them up and went to track her down.

Yeah, I thought it may have been morgan then but now I think it's Eugene (despite the fact the promo appears to show him behind Rick WHILE they are talking.

I posted it before episode 15 so you can forgive the errors!

So whos getting the Lucille treatment.

Who I want to get it is Glenn (i like Glenn btw, but he deserves this exit) Only reason im brginning to doubt it though is due to the fact it seems likely now Maggie wont be present at the incident and i cant imagine nor do I think it would have half the effect if she doesnt witness the scene. She has got the Hilltop chop now though so who knows.

Who I am starting to think it could be now but hope its not.....Daryl. I envisage Norman Reedus wont be here that much longer, even if he does survive.
    This guy is in demand now and it would be a fitting departure for an epic character.

Others who are possible are Abraham, Carol and Morgan. All would be a bit meh though. Carol i predict wil be kidnapped and eventually her character will see out Hollys arc and be delivered in reanimated form under the bag into Alexandria (perhaps killing Prte)

Morgan i predict will take up with the Kingdom guys. So that leaves Abraham but considering the amount of regret Kirkmann had killing him off before All Out War i anticipate hes not going anywhere.

I think Heath may be leaving on account of the fact he has been cast in a big role but hopefully not as his character has barely had a bloody line after being so well cast. Also it would have f all effect for me if hes killed off. Much like Noahs death in a way. (Although that was brilliant concept..the revolving doors)

I cant even contemplate any other main character being killed off.

So final verdict...

DARYLL RIP.

• Advertisement

Glenn or Daryll I hope - maximum impact.

Whoever it is, I just really hope it isn't a cliffhanger mystery.

maximoose wrote: »
    Glenn or Daryll I hope - maximum impact.

Whoever it is, I just really hope it isn't a cliffhanger mystery.

Im hoping the last scene will be a montage scene with the Saviours leaving the group with the dismembered body splattered on the ground with the final moments being Morgan perhaps meeting Ezekiel. That would tidy up things nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

The question is - will they show it? I can't see them showing the whole gory scene on tv, it's one thing when it's happening to a zombie but would they get away with doing it to a character on network television? If I remember the comic correctly it's brutal, there's a popped eyeball, a busted skull, a last ditch effort to call out to Maggie, really harrowing stuff. Not to mention the joy Negan takes in it. I have a feeling it may be the censored version we get. That'd lead into the cliffhanger if we don't see the full scene, though I'd be surprised if it's left ambiguous like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Glen will meet Lucille, imo. It an incentive for Maggie's character to remain at the Hilltop, I imagine she'll go there in the next episode to visit the doctor with the pregnancy trouble she encountered in the last episode and stay there once she hears of Glen being killed. Aside from the baby storyline, Glen has nothing else going on and I don't think the writers can do much else with his character.

The writers have put too much focus on the Daryl Vs Dwight feud to kill Daryl off just yet, so I think they'll keep that simmering for season 7. It'd be a good sub-plot from the main Rick Vs Negan storyline.

Spoilers are starting to come out everywhere, including a full 11 min audio clip of the Negan/Lucille scene.

Sometimes I hate the internet :pac:

maximoose wrote: »
    Spoilers are starting to come out everywhere, including a full 11 min audio clip of the Negan/Lucille scene.

Sometimes I hate the internet :pac:
    I'm listening now...

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Glen will meet Lucille, imo. It an incentive for Maggie's character to remain at the Hilltop, I imagine she'll go there in the next episode to visit the doctor with the pregnancy trouble she encountered in the last episode and stay there once she hears of Glen being killed. Aside from the baby storyline, Glen has nothing else going on and I don't think the writers can do much else with his character.

The writers have put too much focus on the Daryl Vs Dwight feud to kill Daryl off just yet, so I think they'll keep that simmering for season 7. It'd be a good sub-plot from the main Rick Vs Negan storyline.

But don't you not think if Glenn is killed without Maggie present as in the comic it won't have half the emotional impact, scene wise. Writers would be silly to miss that important aspect.

That is why I'm leaning increasingly towards Daryl. Maggie and Enid (Sofia) present when/if Glenn dies is pivotal in their respective journeys.

Glenn dhould be the victim all in all but id hate them to miss this important detail if so

But don't you not think if Glenn is killed without Maggie present as in the comic it won't have half the emotional impact, scene wise. Writers would be silly to miss that important aspect.

That is why I'm leaning increasingly towards Daryl. Maggie and Enid (Sofia) present when/if Glenn dies is pivotal in their respective journeys.

Glenn dhould be the victim all in all but id hate them to miss this important detail if so

I completely agree that it won't have the same impact as the comic without her present, but they may yet include her in the scene, she could easily be captured on the way to the Hilltop by the Saviours.

I think there's been a lot of foreshadowing by the writers with Glenn; finding the bat in series five, plus him seeing the polaroid pictures of the previous meetings Lucille has had. Maybe the writers are teasing comic book readers with that foreshadowing and they'll swap him with Daryl, but I can't really see why. Glenn can't really go anywhere else as a character, how many more lucky escapes can he have? His death is also an incentive for Maggie to become a leader and develop her storyline, and Daryl now has a new found rival in Dwight.

I think if they're to kill Daryl off, it'd be in a more heroic way for some reason, rather than being on the unlucky end of an "eeny, meeny, miny, moe" decision from Negan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    The question is - will they show it? I can't see them showing the whole gory scene on tv, it's one thing when it's happening to a zombie but would they get away with doing it to a character on network television? If I remember the comic correctly it's brutal, there's a popped eyeball, a busted skull, a last ditch effort to call out to Maggie, really harrowing stuff. Not to mention the joy Negan takes in it. I have a feeling it may be the censored version we get. That'd lead into the cliffhanger if we don't see the full scene, though I'd be surprised if it's left ambiguous like that.

Don't see why not, they have shown some pretty gritty scenes before - the scene with the throat cutting at the beginning of season 5, Sanctuary I think? Also, the scene where Coral was clearly going to be raped was quite shocking.

I completely agree that it won't have the same impact as the comic without her present, but they may yet include her in the scene, she could easily be captured on the way to the Hilltop by the Saviours.

I think there's been a lot of foreshadowing by the writers with Glenn; finding the bat in series five, plus him seeing the polaroid pictures of the previous meetings Lucille has had. Maybe the writers are teasing comic book readers with that foreshadowing and they'll swap him with Daryl, but I can't really see why. Glenn can't really go anywhere else as a character, how many more lucky escapes can he have? His death is also an incentive for Maggie to become a leader and develop her storyline, and Daryl now has a new found rival in Dwight.

I think if they're to kill Daryl off, it'd be in a more heroic way for some reason, rather than being on the unlucky end of an "eeny, meeny, miny, moe" decision from Negan.

Listen I'm 100 per cent in agreement everything up till now and everything re Hilltop points to and should lead to Glenn being the victim but Maggie's presence is so pivotal in that scene if it were to be Glenn and at the moment it's unlikely she wI'll be presents with the facts in front of us. But if she is present it will be him. ......IF YOU GET ME!

I want it to be Glenn for maximum impact and story arc future but with the info in front of me I'm having doubts and I'm swaying with my original second choice.

If it ends up being someone like bloody Heath or Aaron I'll throw a "Mr Nice Guy wobbly"....check him out on the episode threads.....tiresome stuff every week!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I had to stop that audio leak 2 minutes in, it sounded amazing. I have to experience it with visuals, would be robbing myself otherwise.

Yeah, I gave in and listened to the first minute or so just to hear the voice.

I cant wait!

Gulp.............
    Norman Readus
    confirmed for The Talking Dead tomorrow plus Surprise Cast Guest.

This of course could mean two things. The fact that they have been confirmed and aren't an unnamed surprise guest usually means they aren't killed in the episode whilst the surprise guest is usually the one who has died.

However, it could be a double bluff as the producers know we assume that a confirmed guest name usually means they arent going to be killed.

My guess though, now, is that the "surprise" guest could be
    Glenn
    so if so it is he who meets Lucille

But, more than likely it is
    Jeffery Dean Morgan (Negan)
    which means that the winner of our baseball bat competition is
    Daryll :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    :eek::eek:

However................

Perhaps the show won't want to show JDM as a guest so quickly. They want this character to be feared, mysterious and the fact that he has only shot one, albeit HUGE, scene may not warrant his guest appearance. They may want the character to settle into his role before introducing the actor which afaik they did with David Morrissey (The Governor)

Oh, god,

tumblr_mwzkhdaowx1s8hnhko1_500.gif

Going to get a very negative backlash for leaving what is essentially one the most pivotal and iconic scenes in the comics up in the air. As Neagan would say "That **** aint cool" I get they couldn't have it graphic with eyeballs hanging out and brains streaming out of the head but don't leave on such a lame cliffhanger. And by the sounds of it thre is going to be a jumpforward next season so thats all we see. No immediate aftermath scene of the death etc.
    We should have seen either Glenn or Daryl getting beat to death, fans needed that scene to be spot on and shock worthy and even emotional. We needed the aftermath, the crying, the screaming, the blood, Neagan smiling and walking off, the despair on Rick's face.
    I'll admit Ive defended the show a bit too much lately (Hi, Mr. Nice Guy!!) but it was only with the expectancy that this episode would kick absolute ass, knowing its significance and shock value potential.,

And then having to listen to Kirkmann and Gimple verbally blow each other off on how great the episode was on TTD was proper annoying. You could gradually see as the reaction was seeping through the internet and they were getting the feedback they knew they had screwed up by leaving a cliffhanger and Gimple began to sheepishly defend it. Even Norman Reedus looked awkward at that ending. Chris Hardwick is the worst fanboy host ever! He could at least have got across how angry fans were for leaving that moment as a cliffhanger. What was the point?? I don't think it makes people want to watch the show more in October to find out who the victim was. In fact it may have the opposite effect now. Indeed it will no doubt be leaked in a few months who bit the bullet once filming commences.

Eugene, Abraham and Morgan had some great lines. The scene with Abraham and Eugene bromancing actually really worked, surprisingly! Both characters are officially my favourite as per now. I can even put up with Abraham's love poetry to Sasha . JDM was ridiculously well casted and the scene, almost word for word from the comic was spot on. The surrounding saviours was a terrifying spectacle. Bravo to that.
    Carol getting shot smiling was great but her survival was nonetheless predictable. Three gunshots and barely a biro cartridge of blood running was roll your eyes stuff.
    Loved the shot of Gabriel holding the Fort and Chandler Riggs as Carl is really after growing on me. I expect big things from him next season.

So the episode wasn't actually bad, in itself, but with time constraints and essentially only two story arcs going on (RV gang and Carol/Morgan), and with a lot of repetitive aspects to both arcs it was far from edge of your seat stuff.

The sidestory with the librarian guy who was eventually hung by the Saviours off the bridge was boring as was all the roadblocks (the first one was good and the dialogue between Rick and the other guy was well scripted). I get the concept of what they were trying to portray of these being seriously bad guys who don't negotiate but with so many adverts, and hence so little time, after the third roadblock and the many shots of the RV along the road and Rick holding Maggie it just got a little tedious.

I thought we could have got a more epic introduction to the Kingdom Knights also, that would have got people talking. Indeed a certain someone should have been introduced towards the end. If others know who I am referring to.

Aarons presence in the episode was pointless, Heaths addition to the cast has been extremely badly managed and Glenn has barely had more than a handful of scenes all season at this stage!

All in all, Gimple is going to get a lot of hate this Summer for ruining that scene and he needs to take it like a man. Perhaps RTE could do a Michaella McCollum style Remorse Publicity Stunt Interview with him!

Anyway, Well at least Enids going to be stuck in that closet until October........

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ya, I knew they were going to pull that crap.

I still believe it has to be Glenn on the receiving end of Lucille. If it is Aaron then I think that is the ultimate spit in the face for the fans. Rick and Carl are the only ones we know for sure are safe. Still has to be Glenn though. Surely.

TTB - Where did you hear there is going to be a time jump straight away next season? If they don't come back to that scene I'll be amazed and very annoyed.

5starpool wrote: »
    Ya, I knew they were going to pull that crap.

I still believe it has to be Glenn on the receiving end of Lucille. If it is Eric then I think that is the ultimate spit in the face for the fans. Rick and Carl are the only ones we know for sure are safe. Still has to be Glenn though. Surely.

TTB - Where did you hear there is going to be a time jump straight away next season? If they don't come back to that scene I'll be amazed and very annoyed.

I hope its not Eric!! He wasnt even there :D After that scene i hope its not a big character. Killing a huge chara ter essentially off screen with no emotional impact apart from angry viewers is ridiculous.

Glenns brains should have been smashed out there and then and give us that lump in your throat, tear in your eye wide opened mouth moment like we had with Sofia out of the barn, herschels death, even bloody Noahs death.
    Beginning an episode with a scene when you know whats going to happen is terrible on every level. Its almost disrespectful to the character!!
    And i dont even think we may get that, we may just get the type of jump forward we got in Episode 10 (which was appropriate and well fone).

Oh Gimple was on TTD and was pulling himself initially as to how great the episode was. Gradually the negative feedback began filtering through and he became more brazen, defending what he thought was a great way to play out the scene and end the series. He talked about the s ene being the end of "Ricks journey" and next season we will see him on a new journey. It was bizarre stuff from him. And that next season will start with us seeing how the group has coped with the event and the reprecussions. It just smacked of thats all you are getting, live with it.

There was an opening there for the most emotional, brutal, jaw dropping moment of the shows history in my opinion and it was lost.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I meant, Aaron, not Eric. He looks the image of Eric from That 70's show, so I always call him that, and not even deliberately.

Disappointing episode given what the source material had to offer. That scene could've been the cherry on top of what was the show's strongest season to date, but the writers seem to have gone for the easy way out.

I don't think the graphic violence of the Glenn V Lucille moment had anything to do with why the writers chickened out, they've shown some really gruesome scenes in the show already this season e.g. the kid being bitten at the start of the season and the guy being hung from the bridge in last night's episode. They just went for the tried and tested "who done it" angle, or in this case "who got it".

On a more positive note, JDM looks well cast as Negan. The setting for his introduction was excellent, great to see the sheer numbers the Saviours have. I liked the exchange between Negan and Carl, their interactions in the comic are some of my favourite pieces. Plus, they've introduced the Kingdom story arc too.

• Advertisement

I don't think the graphic violence of the Glenn V Lucille moment had anything to do with why the writers chickened out, they've shown some really gruesome scenes in the show already this season e.g. the kid being bitten at the start of the season and the guy being hung from the bridge in last night's episode. They just went for the tried and tested "who done it" angle, or in this case "who got it".

Did you hear the excuses used on TTD? Pitiful!

Advertisement