Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Comic --> TV compare/Contrast thread/speculation ** for comic readers only **

Options
  • 20-11-2012 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭

ITT we talk about how the show differs from the comics where its failed and where its succeeded and where it may go .

The Characters
    Just like in the comics the Rick Lori Shane triangle dominates procedings but unlike in the comics where we get to know the people in the camp and their daily struggles we spend 90% of the season in Atlanta either looking for Merle or looking for guns and as such when the Zombies rip through the camp aside from the visceral thrill of some Zombie action there is little emotional engagement.

Many of the characters are are so broadly written they border on caricature (Merle , Wifebeat soon to be deadmeat) or seem to just be token (T-dog, Jaqui , Hispanic family whose name we neither learn nore care to), of the new characters only Daryl is given any sort of screentime/dialogue .

Notable in their absences early on are Tyreese with his daughter & BF and the accompanying storylines and Allen Donna and the twins and theirs , the changes annoying as they were would have been ok had their replacements been given anything to do, but they weren't, so one couldn't help but feel a little cheated at the time.

That said being that one of the main results of Tyreese's story thread was the discovery through his daughters suicide pact that everyone was infected had already been covered by Jenner in season ones finale, maybe Kirkman/mazarra figured he simply wasn't necessary.

Donna/Allen/twins on the otherhand whatever their reason for not including them from the start(too many child actors Sophie/Carl/twins ??) now that they have thinned the herd somewhat, would be an ideal time to introduce them if only for cannon fodder purposes and to highlight how ****ed up carl was besides next to the twins.

** Note to comic readers not all of us are up to date or read it month to month( I collect the trades) so maybe preface any speculation spoilers with something like this issue #104
    blahhblahh
    or trade #17
    blahhbllahh

Comments

Whats a trade?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

** Note to comic readers not all of us are up to date or read it month to month( I collect the trades) so maybe preface any speculation spoilers with something like this issue #104
    blahhblahh
    or trade #17
    blahhbllahh

Excellent excellent idea for a thread but the above is very limiting and could lead to disagreement.

Based on what you've said here, pretty much everything will be spoiler tagged. Where do you draw the line? How is anyone supposed to know how much of the story any other person has read? IMO if its on general release, its fair game and doesn't need to be tagged.

Possible re-think on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

John_D80 wrote: »
    Excellent excellent idea for a thread but the above is very limiting and could lead to disagreement.

Based on what you've said here, pretty much everything will be spoiler tagged. Where do you draw the line? How is anyone supposed to know how much of the story any other person has read? IMO if its on general release, its fair game and doesn't need to be tagged.

Possible re-think on this one?

Not necessarily, my hope would be that this thread would be abit more structured then the comic book discussion thread where people from post one were talking about events from the latest issues (#104?). My idea and maybe its unworkable is that week on week we discuss the aired episode in question the comic storyline it is covering how well its being portrayed and how it might effect things going forward . Taking that into account i think there is plenty of scope for unspoilered discussion of the events of seasons past , the current eps and their possible aftermaths , its only when you're speculating well into the future with a mind to events in the comics that spoilers need enter into it .

Not necessarily, my hope would be that this thread would be abit more structured then the comic book discussion thread where people from post one were talking about events from the latest issues (#104?). My idea and maybe its unworkable is that week on week we discuss the aired episode in question the comic storyline it is covering how well its being portrayed and how it might effect things going forward . Taking that into account i think there is plenty of scope for unspoilered discussion of the events of seasons past , the current eps and their possible aftermaths , its only when you're speculating well into the future with a mind to events in the comics that spoilers need enter into it .

Ah ok I see what you're getting at now and I like it. Thanks for clearing it up and taking the time to explain it. So basically we're discussing the current TV story arc and its comic equivalent?

How about discussing the near future?

Example: I dont think TV-show Rick will lose his hand, but I think it will be Maggie that is raped and not Michonne. Are things like this ok? Seeing as they are things that we comic readers are expecting to happen in the very near future?

I didn't spoiler tag these as I think anyone thats into the comics enough to even be reading this thread will know these things already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Im just dissapointed cannibals didnt eat Dale, also glad they wrapped up the Phone story line pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

Im just dissapointed cannibals didnt eat Dale, also glad they wrapped up the Phone story line pretty fast.

I've a feeling they could still do that with Hershal... He's halfway there already, older member of the group who had to have his leg amputated following a bite... It could give him a more interesting end than the one he had in the comics...

Also I think Glenn could have his hand cut off in the next episode, not rick, followed by an interrogation with Merle, resulting in an "eye for an eye" kind of way (Glen was one of the people who left Merle on the rooftop for dead and resulted in him losing a hand after all...), and I definitely think it will be Maggie who is raped, not Michonne...

I dunno, think they could still take Ricks hand, it would be keeping with the comic and it fits in better with Merle.

Still though, the desperation to be reunited with his brother could result in Merle using some pretty drastic interrogation techniques on Glen in next week's episode... I suppose we'll know for sure this time next week!!

I agree with you there, i think these past few episodes have been all about luring viewers into thinking the Governor and co are good people, i think the next episode we will see how sadistic the guy really is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Even if they only imply the gov rapes maggie, it will b a dark turn for the show but it will get major props if they do it. The governor needs to be portrayed as evil as his character deserves. Id say the scene will be played out by us watching glen being forced to listen to it in the next room. Id say the didnt have it happen with michonne after the hate mail kirkman got after that comic. People claiming he was a sick racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Interesting TV show cast update for those familiar with the comics...which I presume is everyone reading this!

Anyway, it turns out that
    Great to see the WD forum up and running, it's long overdue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Even if they only imply the gov rapes maggie, it will b a dark turn for the show but it will get major props if they do it. The governor needs to be portrayed as evil as his character deserves. Id say the scene will be played out by us watching glen being forced to listen to it in the next room. Id say the didnt have it happen with michonne after the hate mail kirkman got after that comic. People claiming he was a sick racist.

Really? What is wrong with some people...

I'm very disappointed with Michonne's character in the TV show so far. There is zero back story to explain the way she is. At least in the comic she has the obvious traumatic experiences to fuel her brooding nature

Ah ok I see what you're getting at now and I like it. Thanks for clearing it up and taking the time to explain it. So basically we're discussing the current TV story arc and its comic equivalent?

How about discussing the near future?

Example: I dont think TV-show Rick will lose his hand, but I think it will be Maggie that is raped and not Michonne. Are things like this ok? Seeing as they are things that we comic readers are expecting to happen in the very near future?

I didn't spoiler tag these as I think anyone thats into the comics enough to even be reading this thread will know these things already.

Anybody who read the comics before the show aired or since(and thus willfully spoiling it for themselves) will already have a decent headstart on the show so discussing the near future should be safe enough.

Yep I'd see both those events as fair game and I'd have to agree with both those theories , there seems little point in giving merle a stump twin at this point and I'd agree it would seem they are maneuvering Maggie rather then Michonne into position to be tortured and possibly raped if they follow the comics . Perhaps they feel Michonne is already dour enough without loading more trauma onto her , we know little enough about her(infact nothing) and being raped would have left her even less likely to open up. Maggie on the other hand toys with the idea of suicide in the comics at one point I believe and being raped would certainly be a believable causal factor in that eventuality.

Dale=Hershal , What makes you think the phone story has been wrapped up ? how do you know he hasn't put it in his rucksack like in the comics.
    giggii wrote: »
    I've a feeling they could still do that with Hershal... He's halfway there already, older member of the group who had to have his leg amputated following a bite... It could give him a more interesting end than the one he had in the comics...

Also I think Glenn could have his hand cut off in the next episode, not rick, followed by an interrogation with Merle, resulting in an "eye for an eye" kind of way (Glen was one of the people who left Merle on the rooftop for dead and resulted in him losing a hand after all...), and I definitely think it will be Maggie who is raped, not Michonne...

Agreed on the hershel & Maggie front but I simply don't believe they will be creating a new stumpee , 2 is enough surely ?
    I dunno, think they could still take Ricks hand, it would be keeping with the comic and it fits in better with Merle.

Think I read somewhere Kirkman regrets taking Ricks hand in the comics , so i can't see him making the same mistake in the tv show even if that was a holy F**king **** moment from the comics.
    Interesting TV show cast update for those familiar with the comics...which I presume is everyone reading this!

Anyway, it turns out that
    Great to see the WD forum up and running, it's long overdue.

Apparently he will be introduced as a Woodbury resident that presumably discovers its dark heart and sides with Ricks crew and helps Glen and Maggie escape ? , the questions are will he be the sole addition or will he have a daughter and her bf in tow and with his arrival see Oscar sacrificed ?
    Grimebox wrote: »
    Really? What is wrong with some people...

I'm very disappointed with Michonne's character in the TV show so far. There is zero back story to explain the way she is. At least in the comic she has the obvious traumatic experiences to fuel her brooding nature

What obvious traumatic experiences were made explicit at this point in the comics run , I still know **** all about her and I'm almost up to date , do they need to give us some backstory ? yes(broody looks every other panel may work on the page but not on screen) but lets not kid ourselves that Michonne is a terribly well defined character in the comics even now........ unless I'm forgetting something.

Cant see Tyreese having the daughter and her bf with him to be honest. In the comic they were really only used to let us know that everyone is infected but seeing as the TV show has already explained that then they are not nessecary.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Cant see Tyreese having the daughter and her bf with him to be honest. In the comic they were really only used to let us know that everyone is infected but seeing as the TV show has already explained that then they are not nessecary.

It was more than that though. It was highlighting the awful things that Tyreese and Rick have had to do over the course of the series. It's an important point that come into play later.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Not sure what to think about Maggie being captured rather than Michonne. That part of the comic provides a lot of knock-on effects in terms of what happens to the Governor and how it comes to pass that a lot of the gang die in the Prison.

Unless of course they are planning to turn Maggie into a badass.

The jury is out about the baby. not sure if i like the fact that it survived/was born - it was a telling moment in the comics and a real turning point for Carl

Hyzepher wrote: »
    The jury is out about the baby. not sure if i like the fact that it survived/was born - it was a telling moment in the comics and a real turning point for Carl

I think Carl putting a bullet in his mothers head was his turning point tbh.

I'm really not sure what will become of the baby. Part of me thinks if they were gonna kill her she would have died with Lori or they both would have died in a similar fashion to the comic. Just wouldn't make sense for the writers to subject Carl and Rick to a double dose of unbearable grief. In the comic book they would do this in a second but the TV show writers are catering to a very different audience.

On the other hand, when and if they clash with the woodbury gang at the prison, there will be bullets flying and anything could happen. Before Maggie was captured I was predicting Lori's Comic book death for her. ie: carrying the baby, 1 bullet kills them both.

Tough one to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Good thread.
    I think season1 was better as a comic. Better plotted and paced. Season 2 went way to far from the comic plot to compare and contrast (and it was poor tv to boot)
    Season 3 is back to the feel of the comic and the pacing.
    It's plotting is going in the right direction and the characters are becoming like the ones we know and love from the comic.
    Michonne isn't as, ahem, fleshed out as in the comic but theirs time and tbh a bit of mystery doesn't hurt. We have seen enough to imagine what she went through to end up with two walkers as camouflage.
    The big change is the Governor, from ratty looking scumbag (Thomas in the prison reminded me of the comic Governor) to suave gent in the TV show. Gona be sorry to see him go which is more than I can say for Lori or Shane or any of the other so far. Even T-Dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Good thread.
    I think season1 was better as a comic. Better plotted and paced. Season 2 went way to far from the comic plot to compare and contrast (and it was poor tv to boot)
    It's plotting is going in the right direction and the characters are becoming like the ones we know and love from the comic.
    Michonne isn't as, ahem, fleshed out as in the comic but theirs time and tbh a bit of mystery doesn't hurt. We have seen enough to imagine what she went through to end up with two walkers as camouflage.
    The big change is the Governor, from ratty looking scumbag (Thomas in the prison reminded me of the comic Governor) to suave gent in the TV show. Gona be sorry to see him go which is more than I can say for Lori or Shane or any of the other so far. Even T-Dog.

Actually, I was going to put a post saying exactly that straight after I saw the episode! I think that might have been an intentional thing on the part of the writers...maybe it was a nod to the comics, to see how many people noticed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I've been thinking about Rick and the dismemberment for quite some time now. I seriously doubt they'll take his hand. It's much more likely they'll take someone else's, possibly Glenn. But I can't see them doing it to Rick. The impact would be much more detrimental to the show than it could have been to the comics.

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Good thread.

I'd argue Michonne wasn't any more fleshed out at this stage in the comics it just stands out more in the tv medium over the comic one.
    I've been thinking about Rick and the dismemberment for quite some time now. I seriously doubt they'll take his hand. It's much more likely they'll take someone else's, possibly Glenn. But I can't see them doing it to Rick. The impact would be much more detrimental to the show than it could have been to the comics.

Not gonna happen, the show already has 2 stumpees in Merle and Hershel with all the production problems that entails in terms of prosthetics for Merle and creative camera angles for Hershel, so I can't see them adding another(think about it if they take rick or glenns hand they will either require stump prosthetics giving them a ludicrously long forearm or will need to equip them with Merles Ashe like go go gadget appendage which just wouldn't suit the characters) . No,for me if they are gonna maim someone I think it will be Glen and they will take his eye , its just as shocking as taking his hand but much more practical from a production and character standpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

PhiloCypher;
    I think it will be Glen and they will take his eye
    And so saving Carl's eye, it's an option.

I think Carl putting a bullet in his mothers head was his turning point tbh.

I'm really not sure what will become of the baby. Part of me thinks if they were gonna kill her she would have died with Lori or they both would have died in a similar fashion to the comic. Just wouldn't make sense for the writers to subject Carl and Rick to a double dose of unbearable grief. In the comic book they would do this in a second but the TV show writers are catering to a very different audience.

On the other hand, when and if they clash with the woodbury gang at the prison, there will be bullets flying and anything could happen. Before Maggie was captured I was predicting Lori's Comic book death for her. ie: carrying the baby, 1 bullet kills them both.

Tough one to call.

I was thinking this too, but with Beth, not Maggie. I can't see them killing Maggie off in a hurry at all (especially when she's being very prominent this season and is now one of the longer lasting survivors in the comic book series too...). Saying that though, I don't know how willing the tv producers will be to violently kill off an infant...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I was hoping they would include Rick getting counselled by his dead wife via a broken phone a bit more. I thought that worked well in comic. Especially when Carl figures it out on his own. Rick is still a bit level headed in the TV show for me

Grimebox wrote: »
    I was hoping they would include Rick getting counselled by his dead wife via a broken phone a bit more. I thought that worked well in comic. Especially when Carl figures it out on his own. Rick is still a bit level headed in the TV show for me

I don't think we've seen the last of the phone.

Baby gets shot, Rick breaks down, phone starts ringing again...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

tyreese is the black guy with the big bow in the last show right

its been so long i've forgotten there are no others voices on the phone in the comic, i was disappointed when we saw the phone rign but after seeing what happened in the next i thought the played it really well.

tyreese is the black guy with the big bow in the last show right

its been so long i've forgotten there are no others voices on the phone in the comic, i was disappointed when we saw the phone rign but after seeing what happened in the next i thought the played it really well.

no it wasn't it was the guy we saw michonne shooting the evil eye at 2/3 eps ago , if you watch it again you'll see its not Chad Coleman nor is he in the credits .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

no it wasn't it was the guy we saw michonne shooting the evil eye at 2/3 eps ago , if you watch it again you'll see its not Chad Coleman nor is he in the credits .
    same guy

• Advertisement

same guy

Nope this is the dude from the barricade
    blackdude.png

And this is Chad "Tyreese" Coleman

Chad-coleman-484588l.jpg

Advertisement