Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic --> TV compare/Contrast thread/speculation ** for comic readers only **

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think if they are going to do it then it'll be the wolf who will do it (deliberately or otherwise) and this will obviously put Rick in conflict with Morgan. This herd attack is where Morgan dies in the comics, but no guarantee at all that similar thing will happen this time of course.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Actually Morgan dying at this point makes sense for the TV show. It underlines that Rick's outlook on how to survive is 100% the right one at this point. Like it was in the comics.

Rick's attitude changes over time, especially after All Out War but eventually you need to fight to survive. Characters like Morgan and Gabriel have no place in the apocalypse. Eventually Eugene became useful but it was touch and go with him.

Not sure they'd kill off Morgan but it would be the right move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Ive started to get the feeling its going to be Abraham getting the head bashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

5starpool wrote: »
    I think if they are going to do it then it'll be the wolf who will do it (deliberately or otherwise) and this will obviously put Rick in conflict with Morgan. This herd attack is where Morgan dies in the comics, but no guarantee at all that similar thing will happen this time of course.

Deanna death was basically the same as Morgan's death in the comics. Got a feeling it will be Morgan that suffers the wrath of Negan but I hope it's Glenn. Daryl is the other contender. For emotional impact those two would suit best. Just not Michonne! And the other "secondary characters" (Abe, Sasha, etc) just wouldn't have the impact that the scene deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'm more interested to see how they handle a prominent character called Jesus than the tiger.

Thought last night's episode could have done with a few seconds longer, just focus on Jessie refusing to let go of Sam as the walkers close in with Rick's voice shouting at her in the background then a
    close up of her freaking out at her stump

Really think Ron is the only suspect for shooting Carl. Think he will be aiming for Rick but will do what Rick and Carl warned him about, and miss Rick.

Also interesting thought about Abraham being on the receiving end of the beating, especially in his new army officers uniform. And the fact that they won't bring in anti-Daryll for it.

• Advertisement

Jesus' superpower ninja abilities to fend off antagonists with ease was a bit overboard in the comics. But he is a great character. And the casting is bang on. Someone said they may not refer to him as Jesus but just call him Paul. If they done that I would be very p1ss ed off!

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I'm more interested to see how they handle a prominent character called Jesus than the tiger.

Thought last night's episode could have done with a few seconds longer, just focus on Jessie refusing to let go of Sam as the walkers close in with Rick's voice shouting at her in the background then a
    close up of her freaking out at her stump

Really think Ron is the only suspect for shooting Carl. Think he will be aiming for Rick but will do what Rick and Carl warned him about, and miss Rick.

Also interesting thought about Abraham being on the receiving end of the beating, especially in his new army officers uniform. And the fact that they won't bring in anti-Daryll for it.

Oh it will be 100% Ron. No doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Ive started to get the feeling its going to be Abraham getting the head bashing.

I've been thinking this too, if only for the fact that they've made a total bollix of his character so it would be almost merciful to kill him off. His personality bears little or no resemblance to the one from the comic. That scene with the walker hanging off the roof and the RPG and the uniform....wtf are they up to with all that?!

I hope they can turn it around for the rest of the season and turn him into something resembling the comic's portrayal. I wouldn't be confident of it though.

It was great to finally hear Negan's name being mentioned. The fun has only just begun!

Jesus' superpower ninja abilities to fend off antagonists with ease was a bit overboard in the comics. But he is a great character. And the casting is bang on. Someone said they may not refer to him as Jesus but just call him Paul. If they done that I would be very p1ss ed off!

Despite the fact that a zombie apocalypse show wouldn't be too watched by the conservative chrtistian types in America, I bet the network will avoid using the nickname all the same. There may be a passing reference to it at some point to acknowledge it, but that will be it I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Oh it will be 100% Ron. No doubt about it.

Carl took Rons gun off him. So its unlikely Ron will be the shooter unless he somehow gets his hands on another gun from a passing walker.

On the other hand the Alpha Wolf is loose, with a gun, and its Morgans fault. I think we could see a scene with Ron (maybe) actually pulling Carl out of the mess and Rick having a murderous confrontation with his former friend Morgan.

Not sure Carl will have anything like the damage he suffered in the comics, if at all. Ricks hand is still firmly attached despite it being a pivotal event in the comics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

They showed Jessie loading her gun before leaving down the stairs. Jessie is the one who shots Carl in the comics so due to that, I'd fully expect it to be the same because of that foreshadowing.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    They showed Jessie loading her gun before leaving down the stairs. Jessie is the one who shots Carl in the comics so due to that, I'd fully expect it to be the same because of that foreshadowing.

eh, no she isn't?? not sure how you came to that conclusion. It was Douglas who shot him as he was being killed by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

mrkiscool2 wrote: »

It was man Deeana who did it, but I think you're right about why Jessie was shown loading the gun.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The "speculation" regarding Negan and his "protection" racket in the episode threads is getting ridiculous. How would you know this without having read the comics?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Hyzepher wrote: »
    The "speculation" regarding Negan and his "protection" racket in the episode threads is getting ridiculous. How would you know this without having read the books?

Ya , even in Mainstream media the whole thing is being spoiled in numerous articles with little or no "spoiler alerts" panels of Glens death including in several.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Thought they handled the Jessie/Sam/Ron death scene very well. I think this has been the closest I've felt to watching the show as if it was the comic. All the way to the superfast cut of them all hacking away at the walkers.

But what are we to make of Glenn nearly getting killed again? Is it going to be a case of third time very unlucky when it comes to the season finale? I'm pretty sure it is if these quotes are anything to go by from Andrew Lincoln...

“I felt sick to my stomach when I read the script. It was the first day in the whole six years of working on The Walking Dead that I was late for work because I woke up in the middle of the night and I couldn’t get back to sleep. I was so angry and frustrated and I felt sick. And that was just after reading it.”

Lauren Cohan talks about it also. It won't be long now!

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/10/this-weeks-cover-walking-dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Thought they handled the Jessie/Sam/Ron death scene very well. I think this has been the closest I've felt to watching the show as if it was the comic. All the way to the superfast cut of them all hacking away at the walkers.

But what are we to make of Glenn nearly getting killed again? Is it going to be a case of third time very unlucky when it comes to the season finale? I'm pretty sure it is if these quotes are anything to go by from Andrew Lincoln...

“I felt sick to my stomach when I read the script. It was the first day in the whole six years of working on The Walking Dead that I was late for work because I woke up in the middle of the night and I couldn’t get back to sleep. I was so angry and frustrated and I felt sick. And that was just after reading it.”

Lauren Cohan talks about it also. It won't be long now!

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/10/this-weeks-cover-walking-dead

Its to keep him in the viewers consciousness, people will invest in him, he fought his way back to his wife, he is a decent human being despite everything and on top of that he is going to be a first time dad, then he meets Lucille, I cannot wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

I didn't really like how they handled Jessie, maybe I'm remembering it wrong as it has been a while but I thought in the show it was clear she was a definite gonner and it wasn't a tough decision for Rick to make the chop - compared to the comic where she was still crying for help.

I did love the "Dad?" moment though!

That was a hell of an episode, really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

maximoose wrote: »
    I didn't really like how they handled Jessie, maybe I'm remembering it wrong as it has been a while but I thought in the show it was clear she was a definite gonner and it wasn't a tough decision for Rick to make the chop - compared to the comic where she was still crying for help.

I did love the "Dad?" moment though!

That was a hell of an episode, really enjoyed it.

Haven't watched it yet, I've got it recorded for later but I read the synopsis, couldn't help myself! That moment for Rick in the comic was one of my favourite, really emphasised the change to his character!!

So I'm guessing Sasha is Holly in the comic and het and Abraham have an affair, Rosita leaves, shacks up with Eugene. In the comic Morgan and Michonne have a thing but he dies in No Way Out (essentially Deannas death ) so I imagine Rick and Michonne are perhaps being lined up as the Andrea and Rick of tv.

All very soapy but sex happens even in a zombie apocalypse!

You can see them really going down comic route now. Plenty of material and it's hard to know how many more seasons Andrew Lincoln or a few of the others would commit to so lots to fit in. No doubt they will probably have another spinoff if/when the show ends.

• Advertisement

If Abraham dies at roughly the same time as in the comics it should happen in the next few episodes. I always thought he died cheaply in the comics though if I remember rightly. Jesus should make an appearance in either episode 10 or 11 I reckon, and the Glenn scene has to happen at the end of episode 16. I hope they don't leave it as a cliffhanger though as given it is the scene everyone is waiting for, it is bound to get spoiled for a lot of non comic book readers over the course of the off season of the show.

I really hope they leave the bloody tiger out of it though, whatever about having Ezekial himself included at some point. That is all next season though.

5starpool wrote: »
    If Abraham dies at roughly the same time as in the comics it should happen in the next few episodes. I always thought he died cheaply in the comics though if I remember rightly. Jesus should make an appearance in either episode 10 or 11 I reckon, and the Glenn scene has to happen at the end of episode 16. I hope they don't leave it as a cliffhanger though as given it is the scene everyone is waiting for, it is bound to get spoiled for a lot of non comic book readers over the course of the off season of the show.

I really hope they leave the bloody tiger out of it though, whatever about having Ezekial himself included at some point. That is all next season though.

tiger stuff was ridiculous. hope it doesn't come to pass. Perhaps a wolf would be a realistic and cool alternative. We dont see enough animals in the show, horses etc.

Kirkman did say this though..

Well, Robert Kirkman, writer and creator of The Walking Dead, believes it is not only possible, but probable! "There's a guy who has a tiger for a pet in the comic named Ezekiel who's really cool," Kirkman started. "I always say that I never let the show influence what I'm doing in the comic. But I will say, when I was writing those characters in the comic, I was like, 'Yeah, good luck doing this, show people!' I think that we'll be able to do the tiger. We'll see."

Re Abrahams death, I can see Morgan taking his place. It was a landmark event in that it really kicked off a lot of stuff between Neagan's group and Alexandria. But Abraham is becoming a good show character whilst fans are tiring of Morgan and in the comics Morgan dies during Mid Season finale

Heres the comic edition of Abe's death if you want to see it again

http://viewcomic.com/the-walking-dead-098/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

So I'm guessing Sasha is Holly in the comic and het and Abraham have an affair, Rosita leaves, shacks up with Eugene. In the comic Morgan and Michonne have a thing but he dies in No Way Out (essentially Deannas death ) so I imagine Rick and Michonne are perhaps being lined up as the Andrea and Rick of tv.

You can see them really going down comic route now. Plenty of material and it's hard to know how many more seasons Andrew Lincoln or a few of the others would commit to so lots to fit in. No doubt they will probably have another spinoff if/when the show ends.

I really cant see Rick and Michonne getting together, I just don't really see that kind of spark between them on tv. Rick in both TV and comics is always more attracted to women where he is in the protector/dominant role. Michonne don't really have a soft side to her, they are more like brother/sister. As for who would take that role, I would have to guess it would be Maggie who comes closest TBH, but don't think they will go down that route.

I really cant see Rick and Michonne getting together, I just don't really see that kind of spark between them on tv. Rick in both TV and comics is always more attracted to women where he is in the protector/dominant role. Michonne don't really have a soft side to her, they are more like brother/sister. As for who would take that role, I would have to guess it would be Maggie who comes closest TBH, but don't think they will go down that route.

Maggie and Rick would NEVER happen!!!! Morgan and Carol would have a better chance of getting it on 😄 no, I really think Rick and Michonne is a definite. I get what you say re the protective aspect. But Andrea in the comics was an extremely strong independent woman a la michonne when she got with Rick so it will parallel their story I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

Feck all else to do for enjoyment in a zombie apocalypse!!

Maggie and Rick would NEVER happen!!!! Morgan and Carol would have a better chance of getting it on 😄 no, I really think Rick and Michonne is a definite. I get what you say re the protective aspect. But Andrea in the comics was an extremely strong independent woman a la michonne when she got with Rick so it will parallel their story I think.

Michonne role in the comic and TB are pretty much identical I think. Andrea, was you note was very strong character in the comic, but she also had a very soft venerable side as evidenced by her relationship with Dale. The andrea roles from comic is taken on by Maggie and Carol in TV to some extent. At the end of the day, Rick basically will just hook up with anyone who will take any interest in being the babysitter to his kids :p

Really just cant see Rick and Michonne happening... More likely with Sacha in the future (Sacha also has a lot of Andrea qualities also) but only if Sacha can keep sane!

Michonne role in the comic and TB are pretty much identical I think. Andrea, was you note was very strong character in the comic, but she also had a very soft venerable side as evidenced by her relationship with Dale. The andrea roles from comic is taken on by Maggie and Carol in TV to some extent. At the end of the day, Rick basically will just hook up with anyone who will take any interest in being the babysitter to his kids :p

Really just cant see Rick and Michonne happening... More likely with Sacha in the future (Sacha also has a lot of Andrea qualities also) but only if Sacha can keep sane!

Sasha and Abraham will be getting together. She seems to be taking Holly's comic book role. You are right though, a Rick Michonne relationship could be a disastorous road to go down but it could also work so well.

Told ye all!!!!!!!!

Urgh... That was weird.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I am not sure I like the route the show has taken with that. Feels a bit too forced... I don't really see the chemistry between them. Hope the show doesn't overdo it and keep it very low key otherwise it will be off putting. I just prefer Michronne as a loner, she is more interesting that way.

Advertisement