Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The movies of Arnold Schwarzenegger

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

bnt wrote: »
    I've got a soft spot for The 6th Day - I thought it was an excellent blend of action with thought-provoking SF. Top soundtrack too.

Couldn't agree more. I remember buying it when it was first released to home video and being thrilled by it. Stunning movie. Brilliant story, very original at the time, fantastic cast, 2 Arnies and one hell of a soundtrack score. Don't even get me started on the action and special effects, wonderful. Horribly underrated blockbuster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

PaulB1984 wrote: »
    I adore Predator, at one point in my childhood it was my all-time favourite movie. But to posters here, there are many people who don't like the movie, so stop the hate, opinions is plural, not singular, remember that! R.I.P. Kevin Peter Hall.

Terminator 2 is wonderful, i'd never doubt it for a second, it's classic Schwarzenegger and a joy to watch, but a really bad story almost completely ruins it, and i seriously detest Ed Furlong, although i'll give him credit for that nazi movie he starred in years ago, can't remember the name of it, been so long since i've seen it, but he was stunning in it.

Not meaning to de rail the thread but I actually like Ed Furlong think he had a great career ahead of him he was excellent in American History x , also liked Pecker and Detroit Rock City before the drugs took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

No love for Running Man yet? Or Twins?

'Red Heat is a poor man's Tango and Cash.' Discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

scriba wrote: »

You discuss

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Read through the thread I said Running Man was my favorite of Arnies films :), only five more years till the worlds like that ;).

Red Heat is a poor mans Tango & Cash no way its much better having loved Tango & Cash as a kid recently bought the dvd and hasnt held the test of time.

• Advertisement

Plot of T2... Sarah Connor attempts to kill the creator of technology for Skynet. If she does, she stops Judgement Day from ever happening. If Judgement Day never happens, there's no war in the future, if there's no war, there's no Terminators being sent back and no Kyle Reese. If Kyle is not sent back, he and Sarah will not create John Connor, Sarah will never know Kyle, therefore, in 1984, will know nothing about Judgement Day, which means in the future, Judgement Day WILL happen because she knows nothing about it to stop it, and there will be no John to fight the machines and send back Kyle at all, which means "Bye bye mankind!", the very thing she's trying to stop from happening. Did i mention Dyson actually does die also?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Plot of T2... Sarah Connor attempts to kill the creator of technology for Skynet. If she does, she stops Judgement Day from ever happening. If Judgement Day never happens, there's no war in the future, if there's no war, there's no Terminators being sent back and no Kyle Reese. If Kyle is not sent back, he and Sarah will not create John Connor, Sarah will never know Kyle, therefore, in 1984, will know nothing about Judgement Day, which means in the future, Judgement Day WILL happen because she knows nothing about it to stop it, and there will be no John to fight the machines and send back Kyle at all, which means "Bye bye mankind!", the very thing she's trying to stop from happening. Did i mention Dyson actually does die also?

Tis the old infinite loop timetravel plot mechanic, John Connor basically sends his own father back in time to impregnate his mother in the first movie sure. Then T3 copped out on it by saying Judgement Day was always going to happen, which sort of goes against the timetravel mechanics set up in the first two. There are parts of T3 I like, the big chase scene with the truck with the crane on the back is fcuking spectacular but there's way too much self parody from Arnie in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Love all his 80's stuff. The likes of Red Heat, Commando, Predator, Conan, Total Recall etc are great for sitting down, turning off the brain and enjoying some good old fashioned movie violence.
    I will admit that of his most recent stuff, I really like End of Days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Crush your enemies.
    See them driven before you.
    Hear the lam-en-tation of the vimmin.

Only one man could get away with those lines with some of the most haunting music, endless backgrounds and all on widescreen 70mm film.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,732 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah the 80s, when action movies weren't watered down, kid-friendly, PC-dogoodery infested shadows of their former selves :) Say what you will, but I prefer the real/stuntman/model driven work of these films to anything generated by CGI these days (Top Gun? Those were REAL pilots, flying REAL jets.. but I digress)

I love most of Arnie's 80s efforts. The Running Man probably is my favourite (tonnes of cheesy one liners, fantastic over the top action and the best comeback ever: "I'll be back!", "Only in a re-run :p), but lots of love too for Predator, Red Heat, T1 and T2, but I agree that, like Eddie Murphy, most of his 90s work was shyte - with the exception of The Sixth Day, Eraser, True Lies and End of Days has its moments too.

As for Red Heat being a poor man's Tango & Cash? What?? :eek: T&C is very good, but you can't beat Arnie & Belushi (possibly NSFW due to swearing):

I miss the 80s! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I can't name every film I love, cause I love them ALL! ALL!!!

I went to a costume party once as Conan the Barbarian and won best dressed male :pac: Highlight of my life!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

My Favourites :

The Running Man : Surprisingly accurate foretelling of the Reality TV era. Even Stephen Kings Richard Bachman's book didn't get it so right.

Commando : The greatest action movie ever made about forbidden love and about the lengths a man will go to get the attention of the object of his desire. Oh and the kill-quotes, you gotta love the kill-quotes in this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Twins! A heart warming tale of a midget and a pregnant man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Sindri wrote: »
    Twins! A heart warming tale of a midget and a pregnant man.

Isn't that Junior, a film Arnie should have won an Oscar for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I started Arnies new book last night and I can't stop reading it in his voice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Read through the thread I said Running Man was my favorite of Arnies films :), only five more years till the worlds like that ;).

Red Heat is a poor mans Tango & Cash no way its much better having loved Tango & Cash as a kid recently bought the dvd and hasnt held the test of time.

Sorry about that! I did read through, and scanned a second time to check! Call it tiredness! 5 years indeed, and after a global economic crisis, no less. :)

The Tango & Cash comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek. Both movies are hilariously 80's in concept, but Red Heat clearly wins. Arnie as a Russian? Automatic win.

People can say what they like about Arnie's acting chops, but he clearly had presence, and a certain charisma. I also would be in the 'Predator is awesome' camp. It's been a long time, General. That's how you start a movie, straight into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Plot of T2... Sarah Connor attempts to kill the creator of technology for Skynet. If she does, she stops Judgement Day from ever happening. If Judgement Day never happens, there's no war in the future, if there's no war, there's no Terminators being sent back and no Kyle Reese.

If the time-travel mechanism which seems to be operating in the original Terminator movie is true (you can't change the future), the whole movie is pointless. Since John Connor exists in the future, the Terminator cannot kill Sarah Connor before he is born, so just let him try, something will prevent it from happening, because we know it doesn't happen.

If the time-travel mechanism which seems to be operating in the original Terminator movie is true (you can't change the future), the whole movie is pointless. Since John Connor exists in the future, the Terminator cannot kill Sarah Connor before he is born, so just let him try, something will prevent it from happening, because we know it doesn't happen.

Well, not really. If Sarah Connor is killed, it would alter the future and wipe out John, leaving mankind at the hands of Skynet. If for some reason, someone else knew of Sarah (Aside from John who unknownst to himself sent his own father back), they could send back a machine and stop her assassination, but who would know that John Connor was meant to exist and save us? No one. So the first movie stands perfectly by itself. But T2 makes not one bit of sense at all. The whole movie should've been based around the premise of the first, to protect John Connor and his mother, not an attempt to stop Judgement Day, which is also a major plus with T3 for me, at least it tried to point out the stupidity of T2, in that Judgement Day is inevitable. Even something more moronic is that John sent Terminator back to protect his younger self and to obey his every command. So why the scene when John tells him he can't kill anyone, he keeps asking "Why?". His mission is to obey, not question his commander.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Applying logic to time travel is never a good idea, particularly if it's time travel to the past. Even the best time travel movies fall flat on their face, you either accept the concept within the movie or you don't. If the paradoxes bothered me i don't think I'd ever watch films involving time travel.

I love t2, arnie's finest hour by far IMO. I haven't seen the third one since I saw it in the cinema but I did enjoy it in fairness, sure there's some glaring problems(it is a bit of a re-hash of 2) with it but it was fun and the ending was great, crane sequence was good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,558 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Im a massive T2 fan, but have a real soft spot for True Lies. Watched it all the time as a kid. Hadnt seen it in about ten+ years and went to see it in The Screen - could have literally cried with happiness! Was an amazing experience.

• Advertisement

One thing i haven't mentioned though, which is ridiculous of the first movie. Kyle is sent back, father's John, then dies. Which should wipe him out of the future. If he doesn't exist in the future, how was he sent back to Sarah to father John at all? So in fairness, the first 2 movies are completely dumb when thought about. So the hate for 3 is uncalled for. None of them make any bit of sense, so take 'em for what they're worth, the action, 1st is fantastic, 2nd is even better, the 3rd is my favourite of the lot, simply on the basis it looks better, has bigger and better action, Nick Stahl is so much better than Ed Furlong it's crazy, and it's got 2 major babes, the knockout Kristanna Loken (Who i adore, and who is a fantastic bad girl) and the always beautiful Claire Danes. And everyone i know LOVES the ending of T3, the perfect ending. I haven't mentioned Salvation for 2 reasons, first it's nothing much to do with Arnie at all (Save for a horrible CGI implant) and secondly it's a rotten movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

One thing i haven't mentioned though, which is ridiculous of the first movie. Kyle is sent back, father's John, then dies. Which should wipe him out of the future. If he doesn't exist in the future, how was he sent back to Sarah to father John at all? So in fairness, the first 2 movies are completely dumb when thought about. So the hate for 3 is uncalled for. None of them make any bit of sense, so take 'em for what they're worth, the action, 1st is fantastic, 2nd is even better, the 3rd is my favourite of the lot, simply on the basis it looks better, has bigger and better action, Nick Stahl is so much better than Ed Furlong it's crazy, and it's got 2 major babes, the knockout Kristanna Loken (Who i adore, and who is a fantastic bad girl) and the always beautiful Claire Danes. And everyone i know LOVES the ending of T3, the perfect ending. I haven't mentioned Salvation for 2 reasons, first it's nothing much to do with Arnie at all (Save for a horrible CGI implant) and secondly it's a rotten movie.

Kyle would disappear in the future? why? he gets born, lives to a certain age, goes back, dies in the past.

The second one is a bit silly and kid friendly in a lot of places so I still think the first film trumps it and is still one of my favourite Arnie films. People often say his bad acting skills are the reason he played such a great emotionless robot but you only have to watch the Terminator tv show to see how bad acting really does not make a convincing terminator :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i believe your logic is a little flawed, kyle didnt do anything in the first movie to directly prevent his own birth so there is no reason he wouldnt exist in the future. in fact he would never have been sent back in the first place if he hadnt already been back prior to having been sent. perhaps the weirdest thing about it is that john connor must have already known that he was sending his own father back to conceive himself (if it was really a causality loop rather than an alternate timeline sort of thing) so he wouldnt have had any real choice in the matter. it is quite confusing but actually remarkably well thought out as time travel movies go.

Kyle would disappear in the future? why? he gets born, lives to a certain age, goes back, dies in the past.

The second one is a bit silly and kid friendly in a lot of places so I still think the first film trumps it and is still one of my favourite Arnie films. People often say his bad acting skills are the reason he played such a great emotionless robot but you only have to watch the Terminator tv show to see how bad acting really does not make a convincing terminator :pac:

Wasn't he already born in 1984 though? Anyone know how old Kyle Reese was?

Completely agree, the TV series was garbage and thankfully was put out of it's misery fairly quick.

indough wrote: »
    i believe your logic is a little flawed, kyle didnt do anything in the first movie to directly prevent his own birth so there is no reason he wouldnt exist in the future. in fact he would never have been sent back in the first place if he hadnt already been back prior to having been sent. perhaps the weirdest thing about it is that john connor must have already known that he was sending his own father back to conceive himself (if it was really a causality loop rather than an alternate timeline sort of thing) so he wouldnt have had any real choice in the matter. it is quite confusing but actually remarkably well thought out as time travel movies go.

Now i'm even more confused. So if Skynet wanted John dead, why go after Sarah instead of killing Kyle at what he must've been in 1984, either baby or quite young?

skynet wouldnt have had any way of knowing he was the father of john connor at that point whereas he would have known because his mother told him. if i remember correctly skynet does try to kill reese in the fourth movie before he could be sent back, however as its a **** film the terminators go some long-winded way about it which inevitably leads to them failing. im not counting anything past the second film tbh, also the time travel logic in the second film sort of contradicts that in the first, but i suppose he wanted to end it on at least an ambiguous note if not an altogether happy one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Arnold Schwarzenegger thread enters inevitable Terminator time-travel discussion mode.

/unfollows

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

If there's no Terminators sent back then Judgement Day doesn't happen because there is nothing for Dyson to base his work on. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

o1s1n wrote: »
    Im a massive T2 fan, but have a real soft spot for True Lies. Watched it all the time as a kid. Hadnt seen it in about ten+ years and went to see it in The Screen - could have literally cried with happiness! Was an amazing experience.

True Lies is the kind of big budget action flick they dont make anymore, the 90's were fcuking awesome for action movies. the harrier jumpjet sequence is batsh1t crazy still. We'll ignore how Arnie actually knows how to fly one :pac:

• Advertisement

one of the things i love about true lies is that you can tell everyone involved was having a blast while making it, so what we end up with is a movie with great chemistry between the actors and which doesnt even attempt to take itself seriously

Advertisement