Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The movies of Arnold Schwarzenegger

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

All this talk of classic Arnie films has me on a double feature tonight. Red Heat and then The Running Man or Predator I think (any votes? :P)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    All this talk of classic Arnie films has me on a double feature tonight. Red Heat and then The Running Man or Predator I think (any votes? :P)

:D

First watch Predator, then make some more tea... then watch it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

PaulB1984 wrote: »
    I feel i need to say this. As someone using Boards.ie only recently (Although joined a few years back), i find it not only a lot of fun, with a lot of great people showing off a great deal of intelligence, but also very addictive (My tweets have fallen to an all-time low). But i do think it's a shame that there is a hint of negativity going around. As a first-time user, i've never discussed any of the topics here, so to me, it's exciting to have so many intelligent opinions for example, on this Schwarzenegger thread, and to see the passion people have for the Terminator series and it's timeline logic, i thought i'd be alone on this subject, but apparently not, which is lovely. I just wish that people who have no real interest in the discussion could merely move along to something that does interest them. Like myself for example, i comment if i have something to say on a matter, but not to point out that i don't care what other people have to say, hence why i'm not posting in sports. Please let's stop being negative and attacking people for their opinions. Even one of the mods last night took a horrible battering for not liking the Predator movie, there's no need for that. Please stop :(

Came back to have another look. Wasn't really expecting ^^ this ^^ tbh. Regarding your post I'm not saying anything negative imho. I see a thread called "The movies of Arnold Schwarzenegger" and I personally expect to get people listing their favourites and rattling off his classic quotes, discussing scenes etc. That's what I hope for and expect to see. I personally don't want to read a potentially never ending discussion about time travel paradoxes.

The sports analogy isn't really valid either. If this thread was called "the time travel paradoxes in the terminator movies" then yeah you'd have a point. But it isn't and if it had then there wouldn't be a problem as I'd have not even opened the thread to post about my disinterest in the subject in the first place. Essentially you're calling me negative and disinterested because I actually *do* want to talk about the general topic implied in the thread title rather than something only slightly connected.

To top it off, I didn't even tell people not to post such stuff. I just indicated *I've* no interest in it and I feel it's the kind of thing that completely derails this sort of thread. Therefore the "unfollows" comment.

Now, some more words of wisdom from the man of the moment

great advice Arnie!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Berlin at night

Arnie was boss in Conan. I used to love all his action flicks and one liners when i was a kid. I saw him recently in the untouchables and he looked awful - Sly has aged so much better - still, good to see Arnie back on the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I saw him recently in the untouchables and he looked awful - Sly has aged so much better - still, good to see Arnie back on the screen.

The Untouchables?....you mean the Expendables right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Isn't that Junior, a film Arnie should have won an Oscar for.

No.........................................................:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Schwarzenegger and Stallone have both made some pretty bad films, however they also made some real classics. There hasn't been an action star since who could touch them.
    It's a shame they never made a film together back in the old days, all because of that giant blonde nutter Brigette Nielsen rumour has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Schwarzenegger and Stallone have both made some pretty bad films, however they also made some real classics. There hasn't been an action star since who could touch them.
    It's a shame they never made a film together back in the old days, all because of that giant blonde nutter Brigette Nielsen rumour has it.

Without hijacking the thread Stallone is a far better actor than he'll ever be given credit for, Rocky, First Blood, Copland, all great performances, he just fell into pastiche of himself playing meathead action roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I love the first Rambo, it's easily up there with Arnies best if not better, but Arnie definitely has the better catalogue of action films than Stallone.

krudler wrote: »
    Without hijacking the thread Stallone is a far better actor than he'll ever be given credit for, Rocky, First Blood, Copland, all great performances, he just fell into pastiche of himself playing meathead action roles.

Stallone is one of those people who gets written off as nothing more than a parody of 80s action stars like Norris when in fact he's a multi talented. The man is a great actor, a brilliant writer and a damnable fine directir. He's head and shoulders above Arnie,Willis, etc. Lundgren is likewise quite the talent, he's written and directed a number of damn good films and isn't a bad actor to boot.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    I love the first Rambo, it's easily up there with Arnies best if not better, but Arnie definitely has the better catalogue of action films than Stallone.

First Blood is more of a thriller than an action film imo, its got action in it alright especially the climax, but its more of a chase movie, only 1 person gets killed in the entire film sure.

Stallone is one of those people who gets written off as nothing more than a parody of 80s action stars like Norris when in fact he's a multi talented. The man is a great actor, a brilliant writer and a damnable fine directir. He's head and shoulders above Arnie,Willis, etc. Lundgren is likewise quite the talent, he's written and directed a number of damn good films and isn't a bad actor to boot.

Rocky Balboa was far better than it had any right to be, and a damn good sendoff for such a beloved character. There's one shot I love that isnt even in the film itself is during the end credits, its just Stallone standing on those famous Philadelphia steps looking out over the city with his arms behind his back, it was grabbed as a quick shot but has a really poignant version of the Rocky theme, great moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Kindergarten Cop, one of my favourite Arnie films, I think hes hilarious in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not sure about that: whilst Stallone has shown some depth and range in fits & starts over the years, by and large he has stayed well within his comfort zone of blahmo-action over his career. Even his more thespian roles have had a distinct mould about them. At least someone like Willis has shown an interest and creativity in his non blahmo parts; be it 12 Monkeys, Unbreakable, or more recently, Moonrise Kingdom - he seems to want to stretch himself, even if he keeps doing the blahmo stuff to tide things over.
    I also more respect for him because unlike Stallone, he seems to have less insecurities about playing his age :D Sly just looks ... wrong these days

Kindergarten Cop, one of my favourite Arnie films, I think hes hilarious in it.

"EETS NOT A TOOMAH!"

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that: whilst Stallone has shown some depth and range in fits & starts over the years, by and large he has stayed well within his comfort zone of blahmo-action over his career. Even his more thespian roles have had a distinct mould about them. At least someone like Willis has shown an interest and creativity in his non blahmo parts; be it 12 Monkeys, Unbreakable, or more recently, Moonrise Kingdom - he seems to want to stretch himself, even if he keeps doing the blahmo stuff to tide things over.
    I also more respect for him because unlike Stallone, he seems to have less insecurities about playing his age :D Sly just looks ... wrong these days

I like Willis a lot and he's a better actor than Stallone but overall Stallone is just the more interesting given how well he has succeeded at writing and directing. As good as Willis has been he has never given a performance as good as Stallone in Copland. It truly is great and Stallone not only holds his own amongst some true treats but he actually steals every scene he is in.

I like Willis a lot and he's a better actor than Stallone but overall Stallone is just the more interesting given how well he has succeeded at writing and directing. As good as Willis has been he has never given a performance as good as Stallone in Copland. It truly is great and Stallone not only holds his own amongst some true treats but he actually steals every scene he is in.

I only rewatched Copland for the first time in years lately on netflix and forgotten how good the cast is, some great character actors throughout and Stallone really shines.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Bruce is definitely a better actor than Sly and Sly is way better than Arnie. The first Rocky and especially the end of First Blood showed that Sly can act, it's just the ignorant who say he can't. First Blood is my favourite Stallone film. It's actually a pretty sad film and Stallones breakdown at the end is heartbreaking.

Bruce is definitely a better actor than Sly and Sly is way better than Arnie. The first Rocky and especially the end of First Blood showed that Sly can act, it's just the ignorant who say he can't. First Blood is my favourite Stallone film. It's actually a pretty sad film and Stallones breakdown at the end is heartbreaking.

Rambo is written off as a dumb action flick but its more the sequels that are like that First Blood isn't, he just wanted something to eat after all..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yea, Rambo is seen as the pinnacle of post-Vietnam action movie heros that were OTT and extremely "USA........USA..........USA.............OO-RAH!!.........'Merica!". Though that's the sequels people think of.

Pumped to the gills, ammo belt around him, infinite ammo & God mode activated, big shiny sweaty muscles, high body count of Asian & Russian folk. Rambo III is cringe-worthy, especially:

RamboIIIcredits.jpg
    :pac:

But that's the sequels, the first is actually well-contained, intelligent and (relatively) low-violence movie that carried the point of returning Vietnam soldiers finding it hard to adjust back to the social life in their home country.

Anyways, Rambo 4 was probably the most fun I've ever had in the cinema. That film delivered because you knew who Rambo was and Stallone didn't fùck with the formula :D

• Advertisement

Rambo 3: Johnny Teams Up With The Taliban To Fight The Commies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Alternative ending to First Blood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

krudler wrote: »
    Rambo 3: Johnny Teams Up With The Taliban To Fight The Commies.

"So John Rambo you are leaving us already ?"

"Yeah, I gotta get back to New York, USA. You guys should drop in to visit anytime."

"Yah okay ve will, and thank you for the Microsoft Flight Simulator, it is much appreciated."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

I think Stallone's best acting performance was in Copland.

Advertisement