Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The movies of Arnold Schwarzenegger

Options
  • 18-11-2012 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭

Seems fitting as the king of action cinema makes his comeback that we discuss our fave movies of the Austrian Oak. A lot of hate for many of what i consider to be his best. Jingle All The Way for example, a movie that not only should appeal to Arnie fans and lovers of Christmas movies, but also the parents who go through it every Christmas. How can you not love Turbo Man and Arnie being beaten by a gang of mothers who think he's a pervert in a shopping mall? And fighting off a bunch of Santa criminals? Pure class if you ask me. Anyway, what are your faves? And who copped on to how stupid the plot of Terminator 2 is and how many of the action scenes involve a mode of police transport? And to kick it off, my own personal favourite...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

Jingle All The Way ... Inception style, lol. Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I am a huge Arnie fan, fair enough he can be quite hit and miss, but some of his early stuff is magic, Red Heat is fantastic and so is Commando.

He is a brutal actor, but he is the best action star of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Predator is his masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

PaulB1984 wrote: »
    Jingle All The Way ... Inception style, lol. Hilarious.

You and I have very different interpretations of the word hilarious...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Damn you Tipsy, I'm gonna have to watch it again now... Never tire of it. What a movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"Dillon! yoo sonuvabeetch!"

"Vats duh mattuh Dillon? de CIA got you pooshing too many penceels?!"

Fcuking amazing.

I like Arnie, he's made some gash movies but some fantastic ones too. Predator, Conan, Commando (its rubbish but one of the best movies ever to watch with a few beers and friends who know all the lines) Terminator, T2, Total Recall, all action classics. He's got incredible screen presence and charisma in buckeloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its a masterpiece of a film,they dont make them like that anymore.
    It still looks good 25 years later,it has aged well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Im a huge Arnie fan but mostly of his earlier work with Running Man probably being my favorite, but also love Red Heat, Commando, Predator, T1 & T2, Raw Deal etc but for me his films in the mid to late ninetys to a massive dip with End of Days being the only one worth watching ingle all the Wat and Batman & Robin wer atrocious, with Eraser not being to far behind, hopefully The Last Stand sees a return to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Predator is his best, definitely, but true lies is a film I find myself watching at least once a year. It's a fantastic movie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,179 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Today in posts that will draw much abuse:

I have no time for Predator at all. It's perfectly serviceable and enjoyable for what it is - dumb action movie 101 - but I've seen it once and have absolutely no interest in watching it again. It's grand (much more than I could say about its sequels, admittedly), but its aim is consciously low. Possibly my opinion of the film has been coloured as I've just grown increasingly irritated by the Predator as a character. Alien vs Predator? The winner is so immediately obvious that it's a wonder they've made two **** films, many comics and several video games out of the question!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I LOVE ARNIE!!

I have done marathons of all of his films before, don't know if my brain ever recovered but I felt awesome :pac:

One of his first films is an extremely enjoyable gem. Just make sure you don't get the version where they dubbed over his incredible acting voice.

And if you are ever feeling a little down, just stick on one of these, never fail to make me smile :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The Last Action Hero is a brilliant film too. It's a film taking the mick out of action & buddy cop movies that not many people actually 'got'. I love it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

The Last Action Hero is a brilliant film too. It's a film taking the mick out of action & buddy cop movies that not many people actually 'got'. I love it anyway.

Yeh im with yeh on that one Ive always enjoyed The Last Action Hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

that movie was way ahead of its time, Shane Black's script is brilliant constantly poking fun at a genre he helped create, the buddy action movie. Charles Dance is fantastic as the villain as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've got a soft spot for The 6th Day - I thought it was an excellent blend of action with thought-provoking SF. Top soundtrack too.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Jingle all the way is brilliant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

krudler wrote: »
    "Dillon! yoo sonuvabeetch!"

"Vats duh mattuh Dillon? de CIA got you pooshing too many penceels?!"

Fcuking amazing.

My personal favorite is:
    "GET TO DA CHOPPPPAAAA !!!"

..although, my all-time favorite Arnie line of any films has to be:
    "You are a fúcking choirboy compared to me!! A CHOIRBOY !!!"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

darced wrote:
    Ah the old Ivory-Tower comeback; god forbid you don't share peoples' love for Predator, eh? Well hey, I guess I'm one of the subtitle-loving brigade too because I don't think Predator's the 2nd coming of Action Film; tbh I put it in the same shelf as things like They Live: big, dumb movies that are fun enough if you don't think too hard about them but that's about it. Good soundtrack & some classic zingers, but *shrug* it wasn't Arnies best film. I agree with Johnny though, the Predator's a fairly shallow franchise & limited mythology, never quite got the obsession with it.

As for Arnie himself, well he had his heyday, but as I said in the Last Stand thread, there's a good reason for the Ranier Wolfcastle character in the Simpsons - I think True Lies was Arnie's last good movie (to date!) & his choices such as Junior, Batman & Robin or Jingle all the Way shows if nothing else his agent was a dope.

Good to see Last Action Hero getting some love; seemed like one of those films that got an unfair kicking at release but in retrospect it's a film that would do well these days, what with the desire for ironic winks and nods to the audience. Maybe it was just a bit too ahead of its time.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Duckjob wrote: »
    My personal favorite is:
    "GET TO DA CHOPPPPAAAA !!!"

..although, my all-time favorite Arnie line of any films has to be:
    "You are a fúcking choirboy compared to me!! A CHOIRBOY !!!"

"Hey, you wanna be a farmer? Here's a couple of acres" *Nut shot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

darced wrote: »

It's the perfect action movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And who mentioned going home to be tortured by a film? Why does it bother that some may not find it as entertaining as you; I don't think myself smart for calling Predator dumb, don't presume I have an agenda. I called it dumb because that's what I see it as, a big, dumb action movie from the 1980s. Quintessential 80s action movie with more testosterone than sense, but it's still fun, just not perfect, a little overrated & not Arnie's best work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,179 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Why the personal attacks? It's a film I and others don't like, plenty of others do. Where would be the fun in film discussion if we all agreed on the same thing? Heck, this thread was opened up with pro Jingle All The Way sentiment, which you don't see everyday.

For the record, I like plenty of dumb fun films, even some Arnie ones (even if on the whole I think he's made far, far more duds than hits). Terminator 2 is IMO one of the finest blockbusters ever made, and recently had the pleasure of seeing it in 70mm. It ain't perfect - I agree Ed Furlong is an annoying little twit in it - but it's a hell of a lot of fun. Predator? Not so much, IMO, especially when you compare it to director John McTiernan's subsequent film, which may well be the definitively great dumb action movie. I just think the Predator character on the whole is fairly lame and the film doesn't have much to it. I didn't see it until a few years ago, so don't have the same nostalgia for it others might.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

But of course I had to preempt such an opinion's unpopularity - if there's one thing that's almost impossible to have an alternative opinion on boards.ie, it's 80s action movies :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

Why the personal attacks? It's a film I and others don't like, plenty of others do. Where would be the fun in film discussion if we all agreed on the same thing? Heck, this thread was opened up with pro Jingle All The Way sentiment, which you don't see everyday.

For the record, I like plenty of dumb fun films, even some Arnie ones (even if on the whole I think he's made far, far more duds than hits). Terminator 2 is IMO one of the finest blockbusters ever made, and recently had the pleasure of seeing it in 70mm. It ain't perfect - I agree Ed Furlong is an annoying little twit in it - but it's a hell of a lot of fun. Predator? Not so much, IMO, especially when you compare it to director John McTiernan's subsequent film, which may well be the definitively great dumb action movie. I just think the Predator character on the whole is fairly lame and the film doesn't have much to it. I didn't see it until a few years ago, so don't have the same nostalgia for it others might.

I adore Predator, at one point in my childhood it was my all-time favourite movie. But to posters here, there are many people who don't like the movie, so stop the hate, opinions is plural, not singular, remember that! R.I.P. Kevin Peter Hall.

Terminator 2 is wonderful, i'd never doubt it for a second, it's classic Schwarzenegger and a joy to watch, but a really bad story almost completely ruins it, and i seriously detest Ed Furlong, although i'll give him credit for that nazi movie he starred in years ago, can't remember the name of it, been so long since i've seen it, but he was stunning in it.

Advertisement