Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The movies of Arnold Schwarzenegger

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Predator is Arnie's masterpiece.

...The original Terminator, Total Recall & Conan all follow closely.

T2 blew me away when I first saw it in the cinema but all these years later I feel T1 has the gritter darker edge. Who could forget those scenes of shooting up the cop shop!

Correct me if wrong, but I think T1 is the only film where Arnie played the bad guy role.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Applying logic to time travel is never a good idea, particularly if it's time travel to the past.

I disagree, there are lots of consistent ways it might work, if it is possible. The only problem in the Terminator movies is that time travel appears to work differently in each movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I disagree, there are lots of consistent ways it might work, if it is possible. The only problem in the Terminator movies is that time travel appears to work differently in each movie.

timetravel movies work within their own logic usually, Looper has a different mechanic to saw T2, and Primer has a different approach than,, I dunno, BTTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

krudler wrote: »
    True Lies is the kind of big budget action flick they dont make anymore, the 90's were fcuking awesome for action movies. the harrier jumpjet sequence is batsh1t crazy still. We'll ignore how Arnie actually knows how to fly one :pac:

Yeah what happened James Cameron after that :(

The Jet scene is awesome for sure .. "You're fired!" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Arnold Schwarzenegger thread enters inevitable Terminator time-travel discussion mode.

/unfollows

I feel i need to say this. As someone using Boards.ie only recently (Although joined a few years back), i find it not only a lot of fun, with a lot of great people showing off a great deal of intelligence, but also very addictive (My tweets have fallen to an all-time low). But i do think it's a shame that there is a hint of negativity going around. As a first-time user, i've never discussed any of the topics here, so to me, it's exciting to have so many intelligent opinions for example, on this Schwarzenegger thread, and to see the passion people have for the Terminator series and it's timeline logic, i thought i'd be alone on this subject, but apparently not, which is lovely. I just wish that people who have no real interest in the discussion could merely move along to something that does interest them. Like myself for example, i comment if i have something to say on a matter, but not to point out that i don't care what other people have to say, hence why i'm not posting in sports. Please let's stop being negative and attacking people for their opinions. Even one of the mods last night took a horrible battering for not liking the Predator movie, there's no need for that. Please stop :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Utterly love Arnie movies, so much so that people tend to buy me presents in relation to him like a painting of him as the Terminator that sits above the TV :pac:

I grew up on a healthy diet of Stallone, Norris, Seagal, Van Damme, and Arnie movies because of my older brother. I always get that special kind of fun from those movies as opposed to the modern and "so gritty you can taste the gravel" action movies.

The majority of his movies are tongue-in-cheek and if you take him too seriously or see him as an "actor" then you'll miss his fun. He's a shìtty actor who knows it but has truckloads of charisma that carries a movie. He's a star moreso than an actor.

Even his best and more serious movies continue the routine of giving him one-liners because he's practically the only one who can get away with it.

Been waiting years for his comeback so I'll definitely be in line to see The Last Stand.

Nothing beats some beer, group of friends and an Arnie movie.

One of my favourite quotes, complete with Arnie's trademark "NNNnnnnnaaarrrgh!!"

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Utterly love Arnie movies, so much so that people tend to buy me presents in relation to him like a painting of him as the Terminator that sits above the TV :pac:

I grew up on a healthy diet of Stallone, Norris, Seagal, Van Damme, and Arnie movies because of my older brother. I always get that special kind of fun from those movies as opposed to the modern and "so gritty you can taste the gravel" action movies.

The majority of his movies are tongue-in-cheek and if you take him too seriously or see him as an "actor" then you'll miss his fun. He's a shìtty actor who knows it but has truckloads of charisma that carries a movie. He's a star moreso than an actor.

Even his best and more serious movies continue the routine of giving him one-liners because he's practically the only one who can get away with it.

Been waiting years for his comeback so I'll definitely be in line to see The Last Stand.

One of my favourite quotes, complete with Arnie's trademark "NNNnnnnnaaarrrgh!!"

All real men grew up on these guys :D Although Seagal has sadly lost everything except the belly. But the rest are still kicking butt. Grew up on all of their movies as a lad. Nothing excites me more than Arnie hanging from the side of an aeroplane mid-air and then chasing a parachute through the sky, and Van Damme jumping off a roof onto a chopper to then shoot the pilot in the privates and watch as the villian screams his way through a vertical helicopter drop into an arena. It's what all us action movie fans want. Love this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Pumping Iron is well worth a watch too even though its not a movie per se Arnie did say afterwards a lot of it is staged, worth watching just to see him mercilessly troll Lou Ferringno throughout the doc.

A lot of love for True Lies here, and rightfully so, it's a total riot, a real classic. But for me, James Cameron is the king of filler. Everyone he makes, he insists on peppering it with stuff it really doesn't need. True Lies is not much different. The whole middle section with Jamie Lee Curtis is just shameful. It's an interesting and funny slant to have the bored housewife wanting some adventure, believing her husband to be a boring computer geek, only to find out he's a superspy. But did they need all of that time wasted? Seriously, who wants to see Jamie Lee Curtis stripteasing? And that really long annoying interrogation scene with her locked in a room screaming. The movie for the first section is wonderful, everything a fan of Arnie, Cameron and spy movies could ask for, then that overly long middle section which could've been cut down by at least half, and then "that" finale, which blows my mind everytime i watch the movie. The massive shootout, the amazing bridge scene and then obviously the greatest part of the whole movie, the fighter jet! "You're fired!". Wow! Just someone please tell Cameron that less truly is more, we know Jack and Rose loved it each other, we don't need to watch them for 90 minutes before the Titanic starts sinking etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

PaulB1984 wrote: »
    Seriously, who wants to see Jamie Lee Curtis stripteasing?

everybody? but on a more serious note i think you might be missing the point of those movies a bit. titanic is a love story and the ship sinking is the backdrop of that story. likewise true lies is a story about a bored married couple rediscovering each other, the spy stuff is there to make it more interesting. well that is my interpretation of it at least

• Advertisement

indough wrote: »
    everybody? but on a more serious note i think you might be missing the point of those movies a bit. titanic is a love story and the ship sinking is the backdrop of that story. likewise true lies is a story about a bored married couple rediscovering each other, the spy stuff is there to make it more interesting. well that is my interpretation of it at least

Eeeewwwww, dude! Not me! LOL!:eek:

It could just be me, but i always will these movies to move on a bit. Even with Titanic, the love between them is known, but to spend 90 minutes on the story of them, that's a feature length movie in itself. Same with True Lies, by all means keep Bill Paxton and some of the middle section, but lose some of it, or interest starts to fade. Same with Avatar, wonderful movie, really wonderful, but again, could do with being a half hour shorter, i could sit down with the original cinema version and be able to chop at least 20 minutes without batting and eyelid. The Abyss, way too long yet again. Aliens could do with a trim down, The Terminator spends too long on meaningless jibber jabber between Sarah and Reese, T2 is wwwwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too long. Cameron needs quality control.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Predator and the Terminators are amazing.

What I don't like, is people going bananas with the Predator costumes and calling the alien "The Predator", when clearly, Arnie IS the Predator!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Jamie Lee Curtis was seriously hot in True Lies, 'She's got tiddies that make wanna stand up and cry for buttermilk and an ass like a 10 year old boy' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

krudler wrote: »
    Pumping Iron is well worth a watch too even though its not a movie per se Arnie did say afterwards a lot of it is staged, worth watching just to see him mercilessly troll Lou Ferringno throughout the doc.

Yea I seen it and its a good watch,even if some of it is staged.
    Cant wait for his new one again,hope he comes out on top and back to his best!

Here's something a whole hell of fun! The kill count from my favourite Arnie movie Eraser ... Guess how many he kills before you watch it...

Jamie Lee Curtis was seriously hot in True Lies, 'She's got tiddies that make wanna stand up and cry for buttermilk and an ass like a 10 year old boy' :)

Totally gross, lol, i don't see it, i just don't see it! :rolleyes:

jpm4 wrote: »
    If there's no Terminators sent back then Judgement Day doesn't happen because there is nothing for Dyson to base his work on. Right?

Well, yes, for sure, that would stop it. But if no one's sent back to Sarah in 1984, who triggers off the motions that lead to her killing Dyson at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

She didnt show her tits until she went legits!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Well, yes, for sure, that would stop it. But if no one's sent back to Sarah in 1984, who triggers off the motions that lead to her killing Dyson at all?

Well nothing I guess, as that timeline should never happen? I don't think these films are really worth examining in that much detail really, great as they are.

And the Jamie Lee Curtis affair subplot in True Lies is what makes the film special for me - love the fact that it is a fairly routine spy thriller up to that point and then veers off in a completely different direction. It's a ridiculously funny film too - the striptease, anytime Bill Paxton is on screen, the scene where the Jihad style speech (or whatever it is) is being filmed and the camera man is sweating as the camera battery is running low! Where is that kind of humor these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Duggy747 wrote: »

Never a truer word spoken :).
    Totally gross, lol, i don't see it, i just don't see it! :rolleyes:

:eek::eek: you just dont see it if you cant admire a chassis like the one Jamie Lee Curtis displays in True Lies I truely fear for man kind :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

:eek::eek: you just dont see it if you cant admire a chassis like the one Jamie Lee Curtis displays in True Lies I truely fear for man kind :p

There are some seriously dodge youtube suggestions when that awesome clip ends...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

[...] I just wish that people who have no real interest in the discussion could merely move along to something that does interest them. Like myself for example, i comment if i have something to say on a matter, but not to point out that i don't care what other people have to say, hence why i'm not posting in sports. Please let's stop being negative and attacking people for their opinions. Even one of the mods last night took a horrible battering for not liking the Predator movie, there's no need for that. Please stop :(

It's a fair point though - time-travel is barely understood by physicists, let alone scriptwriters and more often than not timetravel plots only make sense the less you think about them. If Stevy Hawking & co. can't work out the mechanics of the thing I'm damn sure James Cameron hadn't ironed out all the kinks. So trying to untangle the logic nightmare of timetravel is the ultimate exercise in circular futility. Best just not to think about it, Terminator included. And that's speaking as a lifelong Dr Who fan, I know all about trying to make sense of those damned things - you just end up in knots, it isn't worth the migraines!

jpm4 wrote: »
    Well nothing I guess, as that timeline should never happen? I don't think these films are really worth examining in that much detail really, great as they are.

And the Jamie Lee Curtis affair subplot in True Lies is what makes the film special for me - love the fact that it is a fairly routine spy thriller up to that point and then veers off in a completely different direction. It's a ridiculously funny film too - the striptease, anytime Bill Paxton is on screen, the scene where the Jihad style speech (or whatever it is) is being filmed and the camera man is sweating as the camera battery is running low! Where is that kind of humor these days?

Terminator totally confuses me, lol. I can't help thinking that T2 just has a screwed up logic, so does 1, and 3 does it's best to fix it by making the other 2 out to be stupid :)

Bill Paxton is hilarious, no doubt, just the whole stripteasing thing makes me vomit, and the interrogation lasts forever, some parts of it are funny, but i love when it just goes straight back to the terrorists. The camera scene had me in a panic the first time i saw it as a kid, i laughed my head off.

Ehhh... Have you seen her face?... Or heard the "rumours"? That she's smuggling more than a 'chassis' ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Two words:
    Kindergarten cop.

/Thread

Two words:
    Kindergarten cop.

/Thread

I'm always a bit negative with Kindergarten Cop, i remember watching it when i was very young and dreaming up this huge action comedy movie with Arnie kicking ass and being undercover. I was disappointed when all i got was Arnie falling in love with (granted, a very cute) school teacher and a mammy's boy stupid villian as threatening as the runs. I love the school scenes with Arnie screaming at the kids and stuff, but i must admit, it's up there with the very tiny few lesser ones for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

When Arnie puts in the infinite ammo/God mode cheat at the end of Commando is probably my favourite part of 80's cinema.

I dont think we'll ever see an action hero like him again.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    When Arnie puts in the infinite ammo/God mode cheat at the end of Commando is probably my favourite part of 80's cinema.

I dont think we'll ever see an action hero like him again.

20 soldiers running directly behind him shooting straight at him, not one hits him. LOVE IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Love Arnie, huge fan of his, as a kid in the 80's he was most kids biggest hero.

Predator while not his best film, was probably his best role, arguably the manliest film ever made!

Running Man is also a classic with some of his best oneliners and I always liked the character of Ben Richards.

• Advertisement

bullvine wrote: »
    Love Arnie, huge fan of his, as a kid in the 80's he was most kids biggest hero.

Predator while not his best film, was probably his best role, arguably the manliest film ever made!

Running Man is also a classic with some of his best oneliners and I always liked the character of Ben Richards.

Spot on! A kid's greatest action hero! Such a movie icon, even the name Schwarzenegger excites me, it adds so much to any movie.

Predator is really manly, up until the gayness of Bill Duke over Jesse Ventura, lol. "I'm gonna cut your name right into him!". Methinks there was lurv there ;)

Running Man RULES! I remember first seeing it and than huge chainsaw guy, wow, amazing movie, rarely gets the praise it deserves. Arnie is a sci-fi legend, between Terminator 1-3, Running Man, Total Recall, The 6th Day etc... Total genius.

Advertisement