Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac drive price 600m2 .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

BryanF wrote: »
    No advertising thanks
    I'm not advertising - I just meant I couldn't recommend anyone as I'm not in that area !

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

clogher71 wrote: »
    Hi All

Not sure if this is the right thread .....

Any thoughts on tar or SMA for a private driveway? I know there is a price difference.
    Also hand or machine laid? My best quote is from a long standing company who only lays by hand. I would be concerned about levels and drainage....

Any comments / advice appricated .....

It's more advice really I am looking for, I have quotes from a couple of contractors......

It's more advice really I am looking for, I have quotes from a couple of contractors......

Well in my case, I had about 600 sq meters to be done.
    We went with SMA.
    The main thing I did before hand was to lay lots of gulleys for drainage (almost to the point of overkill). We piped them into the pipes around the house that take away the rainfall from the gutters.
    My parents had SMA laid a few years before me and didn't put in many gulleys and as a result they can have pools of water left after heavy rain.
    After the winter we had, and the amount of rain that fell, I'm glad I put in enough gulleys now - it's something you can't really go back and do at a later date.

We had some contractors quote us and say that no gulleys were needed, and that the rain would easily soak away - glad I didn't go with that advice.

Also - the contractor we used graded the surface first with a machine (we had a good base of 804 for a few years) and then came back and laid it with the machine - he also had good vibrating rollers to pack it down - so good equipment and no messing.

That's my 2 cent worth anyhow.....

Hi

Thanks for that.

Why SMA rather than tar?

Hi

Thanks for that.

Why SMA rather than tar?
    It was a little more expensive, but I think has a better finish, and it's tougher - it should not ravel as easily.
    For example, if I got home heating olil and the truck had to turn on the spot (essentially turning the wheel in a single spot) on the SMA, it should not damage it - as far as I know tarmac is more likely to "lift"/get damaged in this case
    I'm sure some of the others here will have better pros/cons for SMA.
    BTW - SMA is "stone mastic asphalt" : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_mastic_asphalt

• Advertisement

Yes it's a little more expensive per sq meter, but on a larger area it all adds up , €2000 in my case!! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

SMA to an extent is porous, its also harder due to the extra binder content and its not as dense as macadam. this is the reason it is more expensive by approx €3/4 M2, the reason it was introduced for driveways is for strength power steerings etc cause abrasion to ordinary macadam and will do a little bit also to SMA but not to the extent of the raveling with macadam.
    Turning a car truck jeep etc whilst stationery any bitmac surface will scuff the surface why would you need or want to do this?
    Have not been on here much due to getting a verbal over advertising, which I never intended, I'm here to help you guys and try and stop the conning that goes on in this trade. There are more people making big money by not laying the correct depths and you guys are being screwed, its unbelievable.

macadam wrote: »
    SMA to an extent is porous, its also harder due to the extra binder content and its not as dense as macadam. this is the reason it is more expensive by approx €3/4 M2, the reason it was introduced for driveways is for strength power steerings etc cause abrasion to ordinary macadam and will do a little bit also to SMA but not to the extent of the raveling with macadam.
    Turning a car truck jeep etc whilst stationery any bitmac surface will scuff the surface why would you need or want to do this?
    Have not been on here much due to getting a verbal over advertising, which I never intended, I'm here to help you guys and try and stop the conning that goes on in this trade. There are more people making big money by not laying the correct depths and you guys are being screwed, its unbelievable.

Hi Macadam,

I did try and PM you before , but it says your 'in box' is full.
    I won't have a lot of heavy traffic, oil truck and odd small tractor, so would SMA be overkill ? €2000 more for it on my budget is a lot.
    Also is SMA harder lay by hard? Level etc, My best quote is from a well known contractor, but they only lay by hand and he was pushing me towards tar , saying things like 'the tar that is going nowadays is every bit as good as SMA' and 90% of his customers opt for tar as they don't need SMA, he also had the biggest difference in price from tar and SMA....but he is a wily old fox!!
    It's 730 sq meters....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I'm planning on concerting the yard at the back of my house. Just reading this thread and wondering would Tarmac work in this area. There would Only be cars driving on it daily and maybe a tractor twice a year.
    What would the advantages/disadvantages over concrete be for price, longetivity etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I'm planning on concerting the yard at the back of my house. Just reading this thread and wondering would Tarmac work in this area. There would Only be cars driving on it daily and maybe a tractor twice a year.
    What would the advantages/disadvantages over concrete be for price, longetivity etc.

I'm looking at doing something similar. I've an area about 15m x 5m at the back of the house and was wondering which would work out cheaper SMA or concrete.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Folks what are prices like since say 2012? I priced out ours there in 2012 from a number of providers and just curious if there has been much of an increase?

yop wrote: »
    Folks what are prices like since say 2012? I priced out ours there in 2012 from a number of providers and just curious if there has been much of an increase?

Yop the price of oil creates increases in the price of Bitumen, it went up a bit probably €2 per M2 for 50mm dont settle for any less than 50mm...

@macadam I don't want you doing yourself out of business but is there much in the difference between concrete and SMA. With concrete you'd have to allow for sheets of mesh.

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    @macadam I don't want you doing yourself out of business but is there much in the difference between concrete and SMA. With concrete you'd have to allow for sheets of mesh.

Your not doing me out of business as we do concrete aswell but Im not advertising for any work here just trying to help out.
    Concrete you will need 150mm of 30 N RMC if the ground or sub base is compact and solid you wont need mesh, but could include fibre mesh, it could work out approx double the cost of SMA .

Your not doing me out of business as we do concrete aswell but Im not advertising for any work here just trying to help out.
    Concrete you will need 150mm of 30 N RMC if the ground or sub base is compact and solid you wont need mesh, but could include fibre mesh, it could work out approx double the cost of SMA .

I'm well aware of the great contribution you make to this thread. Your a credit to your profession. Can I ask what's the ballpark price you'd expect to pay for SMA per meter @ 50mm

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    I'm well aware of the great contribution you make to this thread. Your a credit to your profession. Can I ask what's the ballpark price you'd expect to pay for SMA per meter @ 50mm

It all depends on the area involved, small area costs more pe m2 as delivery, part loading and labour costs etc, your probably looking at €17.50 per m2 for your area ex vat, but I would need another job to tie in the same day. Ive seen small jobs charged at €30m2 for approx 25m2 and large driveways 600m2 at anything form €15.50 depending on the work involved 600m2 will take approx 74 ton and we could do a straight run driveway in about 4 hours, just to give you an idea.
    Rumour around these parts is that Bitumen prices will increase end of July France and Netherlands have increased there prices by 5%.
    The following taken from a newsletter I receive.
    “All European refineries which process mid-heavy crude have problems sourcing raw materials and are buying at a premium light crude oil,” said Schmidt. Bitumen prices will be hit, “Prices will rise over the next three to five years immensely in Europe.”

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yop the price of oil creates increases in the price of Bitumen, it went up a bit probably €2 per M2 for 50mm dont settle for any less than 50mm...

Thanks as always lad. So 50mm SMA is the ask and nothing else!

When you going on holiday in Westport and doing this job for me! Must be asking for 10 years now lol

Thanks again

yop wrote: »
    Thanks as always lad. So 50mm SMA is the ask and nothing else!

When you going on holiday in Westport and doing this job for me! Must be asking for 10 years now lol

Thanks again

You set up the B&B x 6 for sometime end of September, Im due another run up the Reek.
    Keep a check on the depths regardless of whos doing it, if your paying for 50mm you should get it, to compact to 50mm you need to lay approx 65mm depending on density of material.

You set up the B&B x 6 for sometime end of September, Im due another run up the Reek.
    Keep a check on the depths regardless of whos doing it, if your paying for 50mm you should get it, to compact to 50mm you need to lay approx 65mm depending on density of material.

If you do it at a good price I will indeed put ye up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Hi Macadam - your contributions to this thread are brilliant!

This may have been asked before but what is your opinion on SMA vs HRA for domestic driveways?

• Advertisement

Hi Macadam - your contributions to this thread are brilliant!

This may have been asked before but what is your opinion on SMA vs HRA for domestic driveways?

If your budget stretches to HRA and its laid on a base course something like 60/40 and you also have great falls and plenty of gullys you will have a job for life. SMA will probably be a lot less and should serve you well for at least 25-30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Thanks macadam - that's exactly the type of "real world" explanation I was looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 swanbrook

Can anyone recommend a contractor in north Dublin.
    I have a 1000 m2 driveway on a slope need a really good job

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭antomack

Currently live on a 'private' road (ie. not taken over by Council), there are three houses and one farm entrance on the road.

The road hasn't had anything done with it in years since a compacted stone/gravel drive was put in and is now full of potholes.

Looking at getting together with the other users to get it tarmac'd and am looking for advice and rough costs if possible.

The farmer would have the heaviest regular traffic with jeep and laden cattle trailer, the rest of us would be just normal car traffic. Other than that there would be occasional heavy traffic such as oil delivery, etc..

We are looking to get the job done right to last for 20+ years without much maintenance so looking for best recommendation in terms of SMA or HRA or otherwise.

Area involved
    a) from main road to first house, c. 60m long x 3.5m wide. Common to all users.
    b) from first house to entrance to second house which are side by side, c.35m long x 7m wide to bring it right up to front walls
    c) to end of second house, c.25m x 7m
    d) last stretch to 3rd house and farm, c. 120m x 3.3m (not likely to be done as would be at cost of third house alone as not likely the farmer will contribute)

There would be some prep work involved to scrape off in some spots to allow for necessary depth. No edging in place and none required from our point of view.

Road has been prone to flooding for past few years so not sure if this effects the choice of tarmac.

Preferably looking for machine laid. Roscommon area.

Does everyone agree to paying for the upgrade? If so you should set up a small committee to get quotes costings and if any of you have a friend who is an engineer to take a few levels and work out whats causing the flooding.
    On the lane itself if it is solid you should have no problem with 60mm of 14mm SMA serving you well over 25 years. HRA in my mind would be complete overkill..Im rushing out the door so will look at the areas later and give you a guided cost..

Thanks for the reply macadam.

The flooding is something more than we can resolve, we are at the bottom of a valley and since 2009 we have had flooding every few years when there is significant rain as all the run off from the surrounding hills comes down to the fields around us and floods out on the road. A number of surveys have been done but all point to increased rainfall due to changing climate. Worst was 2009 and then again last year although we were told in 2009 it was a hundred year event.

antomack wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply macadam.

The flooding is something more than we can resolve, we are at the bottom of a valley and since 2009 we have had flooding every few years when there is significant rain as all the run off from the surrounding hills comes down to the fields around us and floods out on the road. A number of surveys have been done but all point to increased rainfall due to changing climate. Worst was 2009 and then again last year although we were told in 2009 it was a hundred year event.

I would be concerned that the farmer probably the biggest user of the lane and the one to gain most is not coming on board, what if he sells a few sites advertised with a new tarmac/asphalt laneway, he is the one who has most to gain in this, also he will have less repairs to do on his tractor and machinery when there are no potholes..

Hi macadam,
    Did you get a chance to put a ballpark on what tonnage would be needed and what cost?

Hi macadam,
    Did you get a chance to put a ballpark on what tonnage would be needed and what cost?

Can you send me a few pics of the lane.. Will have a look at the areas tonnage etc..

• Advertisement

Area involved
    a) from main road to first house, c. 60m long x 3.5m wide. Common to all users.
    b) from first house to entrance to second house which are side by side, c.35m long x 7m wide to bring it right up to front walls
    c) to end of second house, c.25m x 7m
    d) last stretch to 3rd house and farm, c. 120m x 3.3m

Area a) 210m2 with a finished depth of 60mm of 10mm SMA 30 tonnes
    Area b) 245m2 as above 36 tonnes
    Area c) 175m2 as above 26 tonnes
    Area d) 396m2 as above 58 tonnes

Total area of 1026m2 to include prep and a camber to each side for run off.
    I will allow a 20mm blinding to grade the existing surface and create falls etc and a finish depth of 60mm 10mm SMA 150 tonnes approx €16 per m2
    That rate is based on my supply rate and my locality and on the complete area being done.

Advertisement