Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac drive price 600m2 .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Bella86 wrote: »
    Hi macadam any chance you could advise on my query above? 😀

Just beat you to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Bella86

macadam wrote: »
    One supplier of tarmac/asphalt in Louth, Kilsaran concrete, you could contact them for recommended contractors..
    What part of Louth are you from

From the Dundalk area.. you wouldn't happen to know the ball park figure for 150 m2?

Bella86 wrote: »
    From the Dundalk area.. you wouldn't happen to know the ball park figure for 150 m2?

Whats required exactly..??

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Bella86

Whats required exactly..??

At the moment it is just a part of the lawn and we are looking to extend the driveway to side of house... we have someone who will dig out driveway and lay stone (prepare for tarmac) so it is a matter of paying for the tarmac to be laid and rolled but wouldn't have a clue of what the cost would be as we only started looking into it.. thank you for you responses greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 8 well boss

Obviously not learning enough.. post up a few pictures there "boss".[/quote]

Well Mac. Did u get a chance to look at them pictures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

Did a search of the thread and couldn't find any specific recommendations for Kildare. I am based in Kildangan and we are looking to get tarmac done on the drive with Kerbing and drainage. The area to have tarmac laid on is about 225m2 and kerbing required would be 35m. Does anyone have a ballpark on what this would cost and any companies that would be recommended?

Initial quote I have received to do this is €4200 for 50mm SMA and including kerbing and works for drainage.

claytonie wrote: »
    Did a search of the thread and couldn't find any specific recommendations for Kildare. I am based in Kildangan and we are looking to get tarmac done on the drive with Kerbing and drainage. The area to have tarmac laid on is about 225m2 and kerbing required would be 35m. Does anyone have a ballpark on what this would cost and any companies that would be recommended?

Initial quote I have received to do this is €4200 for 50mm SMA and including kerbing and works for drainage.

Seems a cheap quote, but that depends on what your getting!!
    How much is the drainage costing?
    I take it the price does not include vat?
    Is the contractor fully registered, insured and tax compliant?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

I can recommend John Roche, he's based in Leixlip. We had him do ours about 10 years ago, got him back last year to do another bit. We've no complaints about his work.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So where I am on this;
    O'Malley came out, was there the guts of an hour. He is putting in a channel down the middle of the back drive where water will flow into. Then gulleys in the main corners. Will lay 40mm compacted SMA. 8800 + VAT.

Keavney came out, was there 10 minutes, rang around with the wheel, said he would dig a hole in the lawn, fill it with chips, put a storm drain in there and run pipes for all the water into there. 50mm compacted SMA. 9800 inc VAT.

So I've gone back to OM and asked for a 50mm quote.
    I've asked both for how many tons they are putting down and how many SQ M.

Moran has been rang 3 times now, wont get a 4th.

I get a better feeling off MOM to be honest, just seemed to way up a lot, asked me what the lawns were like for drainage and where all the ground water went to. Said he'd finish off a small bit of kerbing and cut back a bit of path I had which just didn't work right. Make it all tidier.
    BUT that is still 10mm less.

Keavney was wham bam thank you mam and was mad to put me in the book to start 7 days later. Is this a good or a bad thing, who knows.

Ill keep ye updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

yop wrote: »
    So where I am on this;
    O'Malley came out, was there the guts of an hour. He is putting in a channel down the middle of the back drive where water will flow into. Then gulleys in the main corners. Will lay 40mm compacted SMA. 8800 + VAT.

Keavney came out, was there 10 minutes, rang around with the wheel, said he would dig a hole in the lawn, fill it with chips, put a storm drain in there and run pipes for all the water into there. 50mm compacted SMA. 9800 inc VAT.

I get a better feeling off MOM to be honest, just seemed to way up a lot, asked me what the lawns were like for drainage and where all the ground water went to. Said he'd finish off a small bit of kerbing and cut back a bit of path I had which just didn't work right. Make it all tidier.

Keavney was wham bam thank you mam and was mad to put me in the book to start 7 days later. Is this a good or a bad thing, who knows.

Ill keep ye updated.

Keavney would not even call to me told me to ring another crowd, I suppose they may have an understanding not to go into each other areas! :-( . I have had no choice but to contact Brendan Moran again as I am very concerned about drainage as well, he said he would come with 3 weeks notice.
    I might try o malleys again, even though they were out and supposed to come back to measure properly!! . It seems be be hard to get someone in the west to come when they say they will and do a good job...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

clogher71 wrote: »
    Keavney would not even call to me told me to ring another crowd, I suppose they may have an understanding not to go into each other areas! :-( . I have had no choice but to contact Brendan Moran again as I am very concerned about drainage as well, he said he would come with 3 weeks notice.
    I might try o malleys again, even though they were out and supposed to come back to measure properly!! . It seems be be hard to get someone in the west to come when they say they will and do a good job...

So I've gone with Morans. Reason I am is that I have a guy who does ground works and I know does good work. He is going to do the levelling, gulleys and a-channels.
    Moran has a better rep than the other 2 and is actually cheaper than both.

Keaveny was way too eager start, good or a bad thing, not sure.
    Moran is due 1st week of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sheep In The Field

Hi guys great thread!
    I'm looking for some recommendations for reputable building companies or tarmac contractors who would lay 600+sq m of SMA/tarmac around my house in the Cavan area.
    I've got quotes off the big three in the area, Quinn, Clarkes and Wattersons already, so I'm thinking more like smaller companies that i may not have heard of.
    Just trying to get as many quotes as possible at this stage. Its amazing the variance in prices!
    I've someone already to do the groundwork, but if you know of a building company who might give a quote, that would be fine, I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Hi guys great thread!
    I'm looking for some recommendations for reputable building companies or tarmac contractors who would lay 600+sq m of SMA/tarmac around my house in the Cavan area.
    I've got quotes off the big three in the area, Quinn, Clarkes and Wattersons already, so I'm thinking more like smaller companies that i may not have heard of.
    Just trying to get as many quotes as possible at this stage. Its amazing the variance in prices!
    I've someone already to do the groundwork, but if you know of a building company who might give a quote, that would be fine, I'd appreciate it.

Try Ankerland. You'll see some of their work on their FB page. Supposed to be very good. What have your quotes been so far?

Try Ankerland. You'll see some of their work on their FB page. Supposed to be very good. What have your quotes been so far?

Thanks daretodream, I'll get onto them tomorrow.
    Quotes have been between 9,300- and 16,500 ex vat. I know there's a huge difference booking a big company with a great rep, but that's some difference, to my uneducated eye!
    Cheaper quote came from a local company, that I found online, so I've a bit of recon to do on the quality of their work round the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Quotes have been between 9,300- and 16,500 ex vat. I know there's a huge difference booking a big company with a great rep, but that's some difference, to my uneducated eye!
    Cheaper quote came from a local company, that I found online, so I've a bit of recon to do on the quality of their work round the place.

Be interested in what Ankerland quote you...thinking of using them myself. Have seen them at work on 2 properties in the area recently + they look great. All these quotes are a bit scary though...may have to keep saving :(

That is some difference, can you tell us what exactly both have quoted for??

Any company that uses plastic channels against a bitmac product that should be laid at 160 degrees I'd be weary of, these channels are heel safe channels ie used for pedestrian use only along paving or concrete..

That is some difference, can you tell us what exactly both have quoted for??

Cheapest Quote was from a local guy, not written but was given as Single Coat SMA 50mm depth, 10mm aggregate SMA = approx €10,000 or €9,300 -€9,500 cash
    He said he'd remeasure when the groundworks are finished and give me a written quote then.

Dearest Quote is a bit overkill for a driveway:
    Double Coat – SMA Finish

To supply and lay 40mm depth of 10mm aggregate size Stone Mastic Asphalt on 40mm depth of 20mm aggregate size Basecourse Bitmac

For the sum of €14,385.00 + Vat @ 13½% = €16,237

Any company that uses plastic channels against a bitmac product that should be laid at 160 degrees I'd be weary of, these channels are heel safe channels ie used for pedestrian use only..

Sorry macadam, bit of a novice, do you mean using plastic drains for drainage in the driveway?

Sorry macadam, bit of a novice, do you mean using plastic drains for drainage in the driveway?

Yes plastic and tarmac/asphalt do not work well together.
    The quote you got for the 50mm was average for the area involved as was the quote for the double coat. Did either of these two "contractors" give you an amount of material invloved as this is where the real money is being made.

Also the price of bitumen (tar) is about to increase so I'd imagine prices will go up, if they dont then the depth of material will be reduced which is what you dont want !!!

• Advertisement

Yes plastic and tarmac/asphalt do not work well together.
    The quote you got for the 50mm was average for the area involved as was the quote for the double coat. Did either of these two "contractors" give you an amount of material invloved as this is where the real money is being made.

Also the price of bitumen (tar) is about to increase so I'd imagine prices will go up, if they dont then the depth of material will be reduced which is what you dont want !!!

No, neither of them guys stated how much material would be used. Actually, none of the quotes I got did!

Again novice here asking stupid questions... What exactly am I asking them? The amount of material they'll use in... Sorry again mac for the cluelessness!

No, neither of them guys stated how much material would be used. Actually, none of the quotes I got did!

Again novice here asking stupid questions... What exactly am I asking them? The amount of material they'll use in... Sorry again mac for the cluelessness!

Its all in this thread. If they give you a written quote, I can pick the bones out of it for you you dont have to reveal who its from. You are entitled to know exactly what your paying big money for, if you buy a tonne of coal for instance which is 20 bags you would like to only receive 16 !!.
    As for someone giving you a cash price, where would you go if anything goes wrong ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KalCol1

Is SMA suitable for a driveway that will have an artic truck (no trailer) on it every day. It would not be parked on it, just going across it. I don't want to put it down and have it destroyed in a short time. if it is suitable, what depth would it need? Thanks

KalCol1 wrote: »
    Is SMA suitable for a driveway that will have an artic truck (no trailer) on it every day. It would not be parked on it, just going across it. I don't want to put it down and have it destroyed in a short time. if it is suitable, what depth would it need? Thanks

It all depends on the make up of your sub base and how soild it is, I have 60mm of wearing course macadam on my drive approx 12 years (no sma back then) I had extra bitumen put into it when it was mixed, and I have driven 32 ton on it without any subsidence.
    Your rig will only weigh approx 10 ton or so depending on fuel load, so if the sub base is up to the weight of an oil truck there should be no reason why it shouldnt take a unit.

Would driveway stand up to turning the unit on tarmac?
    I've got a quote from one company for sma 60mm depth €9000, 70mm depth €10,300
    This is for 412 sq m. It includes labour for removal of footpaths, drainage and all groundwork. A lot of the base needs to be taken out and replaced.
    Another company said they wouldn't recommend asphalt for truck

KalCol1 wrote: »
    Would driveway stand up to turning the unit on tarmac?
    I've got a quote from one company for sma 60mm depth €9000, 70mm depth €10,300
    This is for 412 sq m. It includes labour for removal of footpaths, drainage and all groundwork. A lot of the base needs to be taken out and replaced.
    Another company said they wouldn't recommend asphalt for truck

Post a few pictures, €9000 seems a decent price for the work you say is involved, if I was to lay 70mm id be going 40mm 14mm base and top it with Marshall asphalt 30mm or HRA depending on falls.

Post a few pictures, €9000 seems a decent price for the work you say is involved, if I was to lay 70mm id be going 40mm 14mm base and top it with Marshall asphalt 30mm or HRA depending on falls.

Thanks for that. I'm waiting on few more quotes. So I'll see then whether we go ahead with it

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭boarduser01

yop wrote: »
    So where I am on this;

Ill keep ye updated.

Yop - I am in a similar area west of Ireland to you, could you pm me the contact details for O'Malley and Keaveny please? I am trying to get quotes for driveway. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Trying to work out costs for tarmacing the driveway. Anyone know roughly how many road kerbs you would expect 1m of concrete to bed. Have an idea in my head that 1m3 of concrete would do ten kerbs which are 915mm each.

Would i be way off, as I've 300 to get laid?

• Advertisement

Trying to work out costs for tarmacing the driveway. Anyone know roughly how many road kerbs you would expect 1m of concrete to bed. Have an idea in my head that 1m3 of concrete would do ten kerbs which are 915mm each.

Would i be way off, as I've 300 to get laid?

I would safely say you will be looking around 16-20m3 That would include a bedding layer of 80-100mm and haunched of 20n 20mm RMC

Advertisement