Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac drive price 600m2 .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Touchdown77

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Hunt

macadam wrote: »
    Compacted depth for those figures would be 45mm.
    Is he laying it with a paver or by hand?
    You will get it hard to tell the difference between SMA and macadam but the contractor should be able to show you the fibres in the Sma.

He said he can do either and I said I wanted machine laid and he seemed to be ok with that until he was giving me the price. He said might be best to do it by hand because I would have one joint if it was done by machine. I pushed him for machine but he said we'll talk about it closer to the date. He then said SMA is easier done by hand which put me thinking. I then said i was sure SMA is harder laid by hand and he said no.
    I wonder would it be the case he will ring me in a few weeks and say he's free and did i want to go ahead. In colder weather would hand be easier than machine?
    I asked him about the difference between SMA and macadam and he said about the fibres in it.
    Thanks for all the great advise.

Hunt wrote: »
    He said he can do either and I said I wanted machine laid and he seemed to be ok with that until he was giving me the price. He said might be best to do it by hand because I would have one joint if it was done by machine. I pushed him for machine but he said we'll talk about it closer to the date. He then said SMA is easier done by hand which put me thinking. I then said i was sure SMA is harder laid by hand and he said no.
    I wonder would it be the case he will ring me in a few weeks and say he's free and did i want to go ahead. In colder weather would hand be easier than machine?
    I asked him about the difference between SMA and macadam and he said about the fibres in it.
    Thanks for all the great advise.
    SMA is harder to lay by hand, I'd be asking him more questions,, what is the layout of the driveway/ Can you PM me a few pictures. Bide your time the price may drop in New year, Im guessing that not 100% sure

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Hunt

SMA is harder to lay by hand, I'd be asking him more questions,, what is the layout of the driveway/ Can you PM me a few pictures. Bide your time the price may drop in New year, Im guessing that not 100% sure

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

We recently got our tarmac put down (3 weeks old) .Our site is at the bottom of a hill( a hill that has natural springs in a few places). After the heavy rain fall of the last two weeks, it now looks like water is seeping up through the tarmac in a couple of sections of the driveway. Initially I thought water was pouring off the lawn onto the driveway, but I dried a section and saw the water coming up through it straight away. I called the contractor to let him know and see what could be done. He said that he could do nothing really if there is a spring below that area of the driveway , the only option was to put drainage trenches into the lawn on either side of the driveway to give another route to the water.. The lawn on one side of the driveway is definitely waterlogged. Do installing these drainage trenches sound the like the solution to this problem. ??

• Advertisement

jmauel wrote: »
    We recently got our tarmac put down (3 weeks old) .Our site is at the bottom of a hill( a hill that has natural springs in a few places). After the heavy rain fall of the last two weeks, it now looks like water is seeping up through the tarmac in a couple of sections of the driveway. Initially I thought water was pouring off the lawn onto the driveway, but I dried a section and saw the water coming up through it straight away. I called the contractor to let him know and see what could be done. He said that he could do nothing really if there is a spring below that area of the driveway , the only option was to put drainage trenches into the lawn on either side of the driveway to give another route to the water.. The lawn on one side of the driveway is definitely waterlogged. Do installing these drainage trenches sound the like the solution to this problem. ??

It will depend if the springs are directly under the driveway, were they not there previous to Tarmacing the driveway?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

It will depend if the springs are directly under the driveway, were they not there previous to Tarmacing the driveway?

The surface of the previous driveway was very rough, and water used to gather in potholes at the bottom of it, but I always thought that was water just rolling down due to gravity. The driveway slopes down. I had wondered about a spring but never saw evidence of it ( water bubbling up in a particular spot). The water seeping up through the tarmac now is in a large enough area (that I can make out) , though its hard to tell .
    And I note this morning that the water has stopped coming out of the tarmac , so it looks like its finished draining away. Does this indicate its not a spring just water from the hill draining out of the easiest access points??

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭A2020

Can you give me a rough price for 250m2 for driveway including prep and drangage and kerbing please I'm in Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Might as well hijack this thread rather than starting a new one.

I've been reading up and figuring out a rough cost, my driveway and yard are between 350 and 400 square metres. That's a very rough guess mind you as I haven't measured up as yet.

To complicate things, most of the prices I've seen here are based on changing from bare ground that has been compacted. My yard and drive are actually concrete. Pretty heavy duty concrete too, as the guy who fitted my gates recently had a hell of a time digging some of it up.

Does that concrete base make any difference to the amount of tarmac I would need? We have always found the concrete very industrial looking which we don't like. Also the reason I am thinking about this now is that I may need to tear up some of the concrete to relay/reinsulate the central heating pipes from the boiler to the house as I am losing a lot of heat that way. I'm hoping to justify the work on potentially tarmac-ing the drive because I'll save a few hundred € a year on heat.

I suspect that paving would be more expensive, and my wife hates gravel.

On the subject of concrete, if I decided to just stick with it, I would end up with a track across the back yard from where the concrete was dug up and refilled and that would look crap. Any way to avoid this?

A2020 wrote: »
    Can you give me a rough price for 250m2 for driveway including prep and drangage and kerbing please I'm in Westmeath.

Pm me your details..

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Might as well hijack this thread rather than starting a new one.

I've been reading up and figuring out a rough cost, my driveway and yard are between 350 and 400 square metres. That's a very rough guess mind you as I haven't measured up as yet.

To complicate things, most of the prices I've seen here are based on changing from bare ground that has been compacted. My yard and drive are actually concrete. Pretty heavy duty concrete too, as the guy who fitted my gates recently had a hell of a time digging some of it up.

Does that concrete base make any difference to the amount of tarmac I would need? We have always found the concrete very industrial looking which we don't like. Also the reason I am thinking about this now is that I may need to tear up some of the concrete to relay/reinsulate the central heating pipes from the boiler to the house as I am losing a lot of heat that way. I'm hoping to justify the work on potentially tarmac-ing the drive because I'll save a few hundred € a year on heat.

I suspect that paving would be more expensive, and my wife hates gravel.

On the subject of concrete, if I decided to just stick with it, I would end up with a track across the back yard from where the concrete was dug up and refilled and that would look crap. Any way to avoid this?

Hi,

You could thrust bore under the concrete, this would mean a hole each end though which will still need to be patched or manholes placed for future repairs or pipe laying. Depending on falls etc you could cover the concrete with 30mm of sMA but again you will need the concrete crack free and all joints reinforced with geo grid and the whole area will require a decent tack coat..

Just a wee note; I will No longer be replying to PM's from people on here with under 25 posts,just had a few time wasters, some of whom are rogue traders taking the proverbial. Post your queries on here and I will help you out otherwise contact your nearest registered contractor .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Hi,

You could thrust bore under the concrete, this would mean a hole each end though which will still need to be patched or manholes placed for future repairs or pipe laying. Depending on falls etc you could cover the concrete with 30mm of sMA but again you will need the concrete crack free and all joints reinforced with geo grid and the whole area will require a decent tack coat..

Many thanks for the reply.

Sorry to be a nuisance but have you any rough idea of the costs of the thrust bore option?

I'd prefer tarmac to be honest, we've never really liked the concrete. But my wife is worried about cost.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Many thanks for the reply.

Sorry to be a nuisance but have you any rough idea of the costs of the thrust bore option?

I'd prefer tarmac to be honest, we've never really liked the concrete. But my wife is worried about cost.

What length is involved in the renewing of pipes?
    To be honest if your going to cover the concrete you would be better digging the trench and placing the insulated pipes in the trench with access each end, thrust bore is brilliant but it can go a stray, if there was a large stone or other services etc..
    Get it measured and Pm Me, Ill give you a guide price ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 connacht1979

HI, just stumbled on this forum. Can anyone recommend a tarmac contractor in the Sligo area??? I've approx 400m2 of gravel/hardcore driveway with drainage installed and want to get a costing for tarmac surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Hi Macadam,

Would I be too far away for you to do a job? I'm on the Cavan/Westmeath/Longford border. The area isn't massive at approx 150m2 but its not straight forward. There is a fall from the road to the house so drainage would probably be necessary. The existing drive is compacted gravel that has been down about 20 years. The SMA would be meeting concrete (back and sides of house has concrete and it finishes level with the footpath to the front of the house. There is very little depth between concrete and existing drive in some places (maybe 20mm). There are no kerbs in place yet for existing drive.

Added to this I have to lower part if the front garden by about 75mm. A neighbour of mine who has a mini digger would do this part

I have read the whole thread and see that this is a job that short cuts can be easily done on and would like it done by someone I could trust. As you or someone else previously have said a job well done could see this last 25 years so I'm off the opinion that I'd rather it done right and not skimp.

Just to give you an idea of location I'm an hours drive from Ardee. I can send you on photos if necessary

Thanks
    Abakusi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Anyone know if tarmac sealer, the one you paint on, would seal in small stones?

Or is the sealer purely cosmetic?

Akabusi wrote: »
    Hi Macadam,

Would I be too far away for you to do a job? I'm on the Cavan/Westmeath/Longford border. The area isn't massive at approx 150m2 but its not straight forward. There is a fall from the road to the house so drainage would probably be necessary. The existing drive is compacted gravel that has been down about 20 years. The SMA would be meeting concrete (back and sides of house has concrete and it finishes level with the footpath to the front of the house. There is very little depth between concrete and existing drive in some places (maybe 20mm). There are no kerbs in place yet for existing drive.

Added to this I have to lower part if the front garden by about 75mm. A neighbour of mine who has a mini digger would do this part

I have read the whole thread and see that this is a job that short cuts can be easily done on and would like it done by someone I could trust. As you or someone else previously have said a job well done could see this last 25 years so I'm off the opinion that I'd rather it done right and not skimp.

Just to give you an idea of location I'm an hours drive from Ardee. I can send you on photos if necessary

Thanks
    Abakusi

Send them on an hours drive from louth is no problem..

Boaty wrote: »
    Anyone know if tarmac sealer, the one you paint on, would seal in small stones?

Or is the sealer purely cosmetic?

The only sealer I use, is just that a sealer and all loose chips should be removed. Then you have a chance of sealing ie saving the rest of the driveway.
    The few times I had to go back and advise on maintenance, I could see the public road was tar and chipped, the loose chips would gather under here the wheels drive on the driveway these are like a wedge trying to remove other chips and loosen there grip. If you have a loose chip it may have been carried in on a wheel and IT will continue to remove other chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

I've pmed you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

Boards.ie is not for generating business or advertising. Boards.ie does not recommend or support any business or stand over the quality of their work and anyone engaging with any entity should carry out checks in the normal way. This thread will be kept under review

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Caddyman

What would 750m2 of 50mm of 10mm stone mastic asphalt cost me? It would be laid over an existing asphalt driveway that is down over 20 years but is starting to get thin in places. I just want to see if I'm being led up the garden path or down the driveway in this instance 😊
    I'm not too far away from you so maybe we might do biz! ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Any idea of cost on a driveway 60m x 4m, with the potential for another large enough area to be done at another point in the future? Athlone area.... There is already a tarmac drive down, quite a lot of vegitation on it now and surface quality not great, few potholes etc...

Caddyman wrote: »
    What would 750m2 of 50mm of 10mm stone mastic asphalt cost me? It would be laid over an existing asphalt driveway that is down over 20 years but is starting to get thin in places. I just want to see if I'm being led up the garden path or down the driveway in this instance 😊
    I'm not too far away from you so maybe we might do biz! ðŸ‘

Lets hear the quote you got and was it from a reputable contractor ie fully registered insured and tax compliant !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 psca

Hi

I'm looking to know if a six meter driveway is wide enough to machine lay SMA
    There is 2 90° turns

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

Hi All

Not sure if this is the right thread .....

Any thoughts on tar or SMA for a private driveway? I know there is a price difference.
    Also hand or machine laid? My best quote is from a long standing company who only lays by hand. I would be concerned about levels and drainage....

Any comments / advice appricated .....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Where are you based ?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Where are you based ?

Co Mayo.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

clogher71 wrote: »
    Co Mayo.....
    OK- sorry, I'm of no use so - I'm midlands....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

deadl0ck wrote: »
    OK- sorry, I'm of no use so - I'm midlands....
    No advertising thanks

Advertisement