Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pakistani girl doused in acid for looking at boys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Jesus you'd swear there's a big acid market selling acid for half price the way you lot are going on,have you's never heard of car batteries?

Well the acid used in these attacks in nearby countries such as India have been hydrochloric or sulfuric acid. Some of the injuries and deaths resulting from acid attacks look like concentrated HCl or H2SO4.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Im guessing the acid used was either hydrofluric or sulfuric (maybe hydrochloric). Particularly with sulfuric acid the addition to water to wash it off can make it a lot worse. My question is could Pakistan not regulate the sale of acid considering the problem they have with it?

Water mixed with sulphuric acid will cause an exothermic reaction i.e. heat is liberated.

However, if you do get sulphuric acid spilt or splattered on you, wash it off with copious amount of water. Even up to 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

pabloh999 wrote: »
    Nothing? It definitely had something

Splitting hairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Way to go to read the wrong motive into this child's murder. From the report in the newspaper it was less to do with an overwhelming belief in Islam and more to do with a disturbed woman's expectations of her child. It it hadn't been that it would have been some other excuse such as not eating what was put in front of him or not keeping his room tidy. It's got nothing to do with religious beliefs whatsoever. :rolleyes:

You could probably do with leaving out the rolly eyes when you are so wrong. "nothing to do with religious beliefs" when the koran was mentioned again and again? Oh i may as well add one of these too :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

woodoo wrote: »
    You could probably do with leaving out the rolly eyes when you are so wrong. "nothing to do with religious beliefs" when the koran was mentioned again and again? Oh i may as well add one of these too :rolleyes:

There are cases of mothers killing their children with disproportionate reactions to anything; most commonly is "they won't shut up" or "they weren't toilet trained young enough". This is not necessarily a religious issue at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Seaneh wrote: »
    The spelling if a name has more relevance in northern ireland and it's history than religion.

Being killed by the shankhill butchers was because you spelled your name Stephan instead of Steven or Seán instead of Shaun.

The fact that more of the ethnic irish population of Northern Ireland tend to be members of one sect of Christianity and the the ethnic british population tend to be members of several others isn't even secondary, it's not even a by product, it's just a ****ing scape goat lazy uneducated tools use to paint neat, easy to understand pictures for themselves, even of those pictures bare no resemblance to reality.
    How arrogant. To say it has "nothing" to do with religion is completely disingenuous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Ohhhh, nice twist job there ;) give it a 5/10.

But thats what I love about certain atheists (you Promac in this case ;) ) You class people of faith as all the same. Sure whats the difference between a jew and an muslim extremist, right?

I'm sure you'd get an interesting answer if you asked a Palestinian that.

So, a bud of mine in the US Navy was in Bahrain a few years back, out of uniform, at the airport. There are no seats, so he is leaning against the wall for his three hour layover and people watching since that airport is a bit dry as far as news papers and magazines go. It isn't long before the police approach him and tell him to face away from the walkway and stop looking at the women or they will arrest him. I guess he just looked a bit too creepy for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Madam_X wrote: »
    How arrogant. To say it has "nothing" to do with religion is completely disingenuous.

The issues many atheist have with religion are not entirely baseless. The conservative and relatively unyielding nature of some religions tend to conflict with the modern world more and more. Many religions and subsets thereof are highly resistant to change, to multiculturalism, to science and the advancement of science, to diversity, and open communication in various forms - some violently so. While it may be a bit of a generalization to use religion as an umbrella, religion is not wholly blameless in many cases. As much of the modern world use science to gain knowledge, many people prefer to rely upon religion for their knowledge. There is bound to be conflict between the two views eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

Dirty sick filthy animals!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

woodoo wrote: »

Thanks for pointing out my eye problem to everyone. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes, I know the Koran was mentioned again and again but not in the context of his parents being so religious they killed him because he couldn't learn it. What I inferred from it was more that they wanted the social status and respect that would come from having a son who was a Koranic scholar than an actual religious son plus his mother was obviously battier than a belfry and his father well able to turn a blind eye.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mauzo wrote: »
    Her own mother and father?? The 2 people in this world you should ALWAYS be able to count on for love and acceptance.

This is just vile. They should get the same fate.
    Even here sad to say, if a female is killed it's most likely to be a male relative or close male acquaintance.

There seems to be a much higher frequency of these "animals" in Islam compared to other religions, at least admit that much.
    This has nothing to do with religion. That's like blaming the Church of England for the behaviour of Baptists in the US. Or blaming Spanish Catholics for the IRA. It's about power over others.

pabloh999 wrote: »
    These places hold the rest of humanity back
    These people hold humanity back but not everyone in the place is like this. There are only a few places left with polio, the spreading of FUD is just as effective there as it is in US.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Gbear wrote: »
    What's a bit puzzling to me - why so many acid attacks?

Where are they getting all the acid from?

Maybe there's a market in some Muslim countries for acid? WomenOppressionMart?

Whats puzzling to me is how the article says they just went home and doused her, as if the acid was just lying there.

"Oh dear, she's looking at boys again, time to break out that handy bottle of sinbuster extreme"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

To play devil's advocate here for a brief moment, I'd just like to point out that up until 1996, girls in Ireland were thrown into slave labour camps for "crimes" sometimes as ridiculous as being "too flirtatious".

It is for this reason that I find the references to Middle Eastern countries with twisted values about sexuality as "backwards" to be depressingly ironic.

sure the catholic church put girls in laundries and tortured them for being good looking, happened right here in this country

The church, but also the parents, or at least in many cases with the co-operation thereof. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34 StankyStevie

that pic on the BBC website looks like any street in East London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Barbaric, but not surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Barbaric, but not surprising.

Do please expound on that cryptic gem...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

To play devil's advocate here for a brief moment, I'd just like to point out that up until 1996, girls in Ireland were thrown into slave labour camps for "crimes" sometimes as ridiculous as being "too flirtatious".

It is for this reason that I find the references to Middle Eastern countries with twisted values about sexuality as "backwards" to be depressingly ironic.

And still calls women 'sluts' or 'easy' for having sex when they want. In another thread here in AH, we were told that slut shaming is biologically necessary for paternity reasons :rolleyes:

"Depressingly" ironic - why? We weren't alive then, let alone advocates of that hideous system. Can both systems not be criticised for what they are, or is it unreasonable of us to criticise the fanaticism that led to what happened to this girl simply because most of us are Irish and similar atrocities took place on the landmass we happened to be born on?
    Today, Ireland is a much better place in which to live than Pakistan, it's that simple. Even decades ago it was, overall.
    The system discontinued well before 1996 btw, it's just that the institutions remained open and some women (knowing no better) elected to stay there. The parents often did not have a choice either - poor, uneducated people had feck all power in that regard; but certainly some were willing to have their daughters taken away - it's likely they didn't always know what lay in store for them though. Remember, the church could do no wrong (people couldn't help it if that's how they'd been programmed to think) and their daughters were being "saved".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Madam_X wrote: »
    "Depressingly" ironic - why? We weren't alive then, let alone advocates of that hideous system. Can both systems not be criticised for what they are, or is it unreasonable of us to criticise the fanaticism that led to what happened to this girl simply because most of us are Irish and similar atrocities took place on the landmass we happened to be born on?
    Today, Ireland is a much better place in which to live than Pakistan, it's that simple. Even decades ago it was, overall.
    The system discontinued well before 1996 btw, it's just that the institutions remained open and some women (knowing no better) elected to stay there. The parents often did not have a choice either - poor, uneducated people had feck all power in that regard; but certainly some were willing to have their daughters taken away - it's likely they didn't always know what lay in store for them though. Remember, the church could do no wrong (people couldn't help it if that's how they'd been programmed to think) and their daughters were being "saved".

The lack of irony with which some guys say they wouldn't 'respect' a girl who slept with them too soon. There is a hypocrisy that still exists today in Ireland that judges a woman on her sexuality. Throw some punishment into the mix and you are along the road to the OP story.

• Advertisement

That attitude is widely condemned - just because it exists here doesn't mean it's ironic to criticise the far more severe horrors in Pakistan. It's not endorsed by government either. Ireland today as a comparison with Pakistan is a highly dubious one. Ireland up to 40 years ago is a lot closer but that's hardly our generation's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The danger of HF isn't how corrosive it is, it's how toxic it is. It can kill you without doing all that much damage to the skin it contacts. Dangerous stuff, but I doubt it's what gets used in an acid attack.

Some people are just afraid of change. They'll use anything to keep everyone in line. It takes a lot of doublethink to work it all into any kind of coherent doctrine and still claim to be peaceful and compassionate.

Madam X, I wasn't describing condemnation of this individual atrocity as "ironic", I was describing any comments which tar Islam itself, Pakistan itself, or the Middle East itself as "backwards" due to incidents like these as heavily ironic. As countries go, Ireland has been guilty until exceptionally recently of similar atrocities, therefore to make a statement such as "Doesn't surprise me, Middle East / Arab countries / Islamic countries are stuck in the middle ages" is indeed depressingly ironic. And such comments crop up almost every single time an incident like this is posted on Boards, or indeed anywhere else.

It just amazes me that some people find it so easy to dismiss entire nations and cultures with contempt, when our very own culture has only recently begun to deal with its own "backwards" issues.

Nodin wrote: »
    Do please expound on that cryptic gem...

Not so cryptic, Noddy. I'll give you three guesses all the same.

Not so cryptic, Noddy. I'll give you three guesses all the same.

I'm not interested in a guessing game. Now do please explain....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I would have thought these type of news items are almost par for the course at this stage no? This doesn't surprise me.

Try doing a web search for 'pakistan barbaric'. It might give you a few clues. Then please stop trolling and acting stupid.

flyswatter wrote: »
    I would have thought these type of news items are almost par for the course at this stage no? This doesn't surprise me.

I would imagine he is being intentionally obtuse. Either that or he has never heard of Pakistan before.

Try doing a web search for 'pakistan barbaric'. It might give you a few clues. Then please stop trolling and acting stupid.

So everyone in Pakistan is barbaric or what? Come along now....

• Advertisement

So everyone in Pakistan is barbaric or what? Come along now....

Did I say that? No, I didn't. But as I said in my original post, stories like this from Pakistan do not surprise me because it isn't the first time something similar has happened.

If this is still too 'cryptic' then there's no hope for you, I'm afraid.

Advertisement