Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Actor Oscar Isaac Describes Working On STAR WARS EPISODE VII!!
    Have you had much interactions with the original trio of Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, and Mark Hamill on or off-screen?

Yeah, I have. Both. They’re such funny people. Carrie is hilarious and doing such cool work. Harrison is back. He went on hiatus for a little while, but he’s 150 percent back. It’s pretty amazing to see him bounce back. He looks incredible. Everyone’s having a really good time. J.J. sets that tone. There’s a lot of enthusiasm and it’s being done with a lot of heart. There’s nothing cynical about the way we’re doing this. Even in the way he’s shooting it—he’s shooting on film and actually building the sets, so you’ve got hundreds of Stormtroopers or whatever, and hundreds of extras and all the ships. You actually see it. It’s all real. Everyone can interact with the world.

[EDIT]

…what they’re trying to do and what’s really great is J.J.’s been loosening it up a little bit and trying to make it alive and energized. It’s not formal. They’re messy, energized people. We’ve all intentionally tried to do that. Just make it a little more fiery and messy.

Source

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

that's encouraging :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

FlashR2D2 wrote: »
    .......from what I remember Lucas really wanted the 'Lord of the Rings' contract. Jackson however seized the opportunity to set up a rival company 'Weta Digital' to do the CGI work. ILM and Weta today stand as the two biggest CGI companies.

Weta Digital was set up before the contract negotiatons were even thought of on 'The Lord of the Rings'. It was created for 1993's 'Heavenly Creatures'.

Thank god Lucas didn't get that franchise. That would have been awful.

LOTR would have been horrific has Lucasarts go their hands on it...bad enough they mangled the story to suit their needs...and the hope was Wetas amazing work on LOTR would have made LA up their game...it didnt....

worst part is, Lucasarts et al, will still be doing all the CGI for these new films...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

david75 wrote: »
    worst part is, Lucasarts et al, will still be doing all the CGI for these new films...

Well, LucasArts is the video game division, but no point in selling Industrial Light & Magic short to be honest; they've done some amazing stuff.

The last couple of Star Trek films, the Iron Man films, Thor, Captain America, Elysium, Noah, all the Pirates of the Caribbean films, Harry Potter, – and that's just the recent stuff, ...the list goes on and on.

And JJ Abrams, too, has proven himself perfectly capable. As a long-time Star Trek fan I don't think the last couple of films were particularly great Star Trek, but they were perfectly enjoyable sci-fi/action films. And Super-8 was lots of fun.

I'm (dangerously?) optimistic about Episode 7 :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

Tony EH wrote: »
    Weta Digital was set up before the contract negotiatons were even thought of on 'The Lord of the Rings'. It was created for 1993's 'Heavenly Creatures'.

Yes, you're correct. I guess the LOTR contract was the one the brought them to everyone's attention.
    Goodshape wrote: »
    but no point in selling Industrial Light & Magic short to be honest; they've done some amazing stuff.

Disney now owns Industrial Light & Magic, they bought it as part of Lucasfilm. For sure, ILM have the biggest portfolio of work in the industry, they are absolute giants!

As far as I can see 'Avatar' is the only film which both rivals (Weta and ILM) worked together.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

LOTR would have been horrific has Lucasarts go their hands on it...bad enough they mangled the story to suit their needs...and the hope was Wetas amazing work on LOTR would have made LA up their game...it didnt....

Huh? ILM have done some great work since LOTR came out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Tony EH wrote: »
    The CGI only makes it worse though. His lines and actions may go a long way to ruining a scene, but the fact that he never occupies the same space as the human beings completely takes the viewer out of the scene and ultimately the picture.

In short, what he says and does sounds crap, but he also looks crap too.

Yeah, JarJar might not look great either, but my point is that there are plenty of characters made of bad CG (or bad prosthetics or puppets or animatronics) that people don't hate because they are better written and directed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Concept production art leak:

Magical.

wpid-received_m_mid_1411595747093_51d0766334e4eb8497_0.jpeg
    There was a rumored scene a while ago involving Luke wielding a lightsaber in a snowy burning forest next to the Millennium Falcon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭xper

Ummm, maybe just that picture angle in the linked article, but is it not a little too BSG maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leaked footage from Skellig Michael out there it keeps getting taken down off Youtube.

Haven't seen it myself and don't want to.

There are screen caps out there with the Disney logo imbedded I saw one and it's the real deal a hooded Jedi on Skellig Michael I'm not going to post it.

hey
    can you send me a linkof the hooded jedi please?
    Leaked footage from Skellig Michael out there it keeps getting taken down off Youtube.

Haven't seen it myself and don't want to.

There are screen caps out there with the Disney logo imbedded I saw one and it's the real deal a hooded Jedi on Skellig Michael I'm not going to post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

hey
    can you send me a linkof the hooded jedi please?

I just had a look at your link and you can find those screen caps if you follow the highlighted link Here just above the Obi Wan picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Wooo! First leak of the new Star Wars movies and it comes from the only Irish set location! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

From the screencaps, I'd suggest that's some messers who went to the Skelligs and shot pics of their beardy mate in a Jedi robe.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Tordelback wrote: »
    From the screencaps, I'd suggest that's some messers who went to the Skelligs and shot pics of their beardy mate in a Jedi robe.

Damn hipsters! :)

These might be fake..one of those shots, the sunny one, the stone looks all wrong..like sandstone maybe? Skelig Michael is granite and is extremely steep sided..could be on the coast of Kerry possibly..still doesnt look right..

Disney/LucasFilm should take the unusual step and put John Williams on a retainer and have him start writing tonnes of Star Wars cues and themes just so they have them for future use after his death. In the same way they're dipping into Ralph McQuarrie seemingly bottomless treasure trove of production art and designs. Williams is a world treasure and even at his advanced age(some rare people are just born with TRUE GENIUS), I'd rather him over Giacchino (who is been honest, more workmanlike and plodding).

Hell I'd take Bear McCreary over Giacchino after Williams eventual death. McCreary was ****in sensational on BSG, the real talent IMO. His music is very operatic and bombastic, yet melodic, and he perfectly the emotional core of what's going on in character scenes (which is SW basically). full of lemotif and very diverse. He's got this his own style that's doesn't seem to be copying anyone in particular.

I dare say they'd have and easier time writing stories/coming up with ideas to Williams music then the other way around.

• Advertisement

Giacchino did JJ's Star Trek films? Have to say, I thought those scores were really lacking and underwhelming compared to what I've grown to expect of a Star Trek film from the likes of Goldsmith and Horner.

There was nothing of the splendour and majesty that (eg) an Enterprise reveal deserves. All felt pretty generic and even out of place at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Get it while it's hot. Some very nice stuff in there and some images confirm a few of the rumours that have been floating about.

Needless to say - SPOILERS GALORE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUvf7RFnqxM&list=UU4mwBKfss_7XNhMtrKpm3YQ

In non-video form here -

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/10/massive-amount-of-episode-vii-concept.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's the thing about concept art, aside from often looking much better and more evocative than the final on-screen images, there's also a strong possibility none of it will actually turn up in the film.

doubledown wrote: »
    Get it while it's hot. Some very nice stuff in there and some images confirm a few of the rumours that have been floating about.

Needless to say - SPOILERS GALORE!

https://www.youtube.com/watchv=XUvf7RFnqxM&list=UU4mwBKfss_7XNhMtrKpm3YQ

In non-video form here -

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/10/massive-amount-of-episode-vii-concept.html

Looks too elaborate and refined for fan-art. Its the real deal. A talented artist could have taken these rumors and made something, but it just seems to be too much of a hassle for an unpaid hobby project/hoax. I'm not sure if JJ would purposely start leaking fake rumours and concept art to people just so he can fire them when they get out.

It looks surprisingly (welcomingly) dark, brutal and mature and yet still bright and ties in with rumors that it would shake/up end the very foundation of the Star Wars universe, I'd expected Disney to play it safe. Kevin Smith said that on a set visit it reminded him more of Empire Strikes Back, and not the other 2 originals.

I really hope and I hope to God that they break the Hollywood symmetry of first film, happy, 2nd more mature, 3rd a combination of both, that the original trilogy has made every filmmaker think is the only way to do blockbusting films in the last 20 odd years.

It looks like the ST is going to be brutal and dark.- almost as if the Galaxy is recovering from it's "Dark Ages" as seen in the OT. A bit remniscient of Mad Max somehow: a post-apocalyptic desert world full of imperial leftovers and relics.

The more and more I hear of
    Luke going Colonel Kurtz, but not fully gone to the dark side, like it was said, this trilogy will be less "BLACK AND WHITE" and more philosophical. It's possible his "Saving the day but in a bad way" actions are fully justified. If all of the other Jedi and Sith are extinct, THE RULES are pretty much whatever Luke says they are, aren't they? He is the heir apparent to both the Sith order as well as the Jedi if you think about it. He has claim to everything and maybe is such a boss that he's become a bit of both and there isn't all that much distinction.
    , I'd almost be disappointed at this point if it didn't happen, imagine if the young ones had no idea what they were in for ,jesus the dramatic potential for the sequels is almost too good, the concept art seems to all confirm that rumour. For me personally it would be the first time since A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back were the universe was blown wide open and everything is fragile and uncertain, unknown. The characters of the originals, are not Luke, Han and Leia anymore, but they're HAN, LUKE and LEIA and 30 years of collective pop culture glorification and infallibilty later, that's a problem. Nothing pisses me off more than infallible explicit chosen one heroes or families, I much prefer wrong place, wrong time, manage to struggle through and become something more, far more relatable, that's what Luke family was before the prequels, the universe was large,unknowable, dangerous. And this looks all of that

Iif the sequel trilogy really is about "philosophical issues" as George Lucas claimed so long ago, it could depict the debate between utilitarian ethics of the end justifying the means, versus Kant's categorical imperative ethics whereby acts that are wrong are wrong, no matter what the outcome is. If they can pull that off in an action-adventure fantasy story in a way that is palatable FOR CHILDREN, they could produce something really interesting!

Christ it looks amazing anyway, JJ is nailing this so effin hard.

mf_emoticon_psychoticbacca.gifmf_emoticon_danceman.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I love Empire, but I’ll be surprised if Episode 7 has much in common with it. I suspect Abrams agrees with Whedon that it’s too inconclusive. Like most Hollywood filmmakers, he’s more a fan of the first film.

wow
    0Zxmke4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

One or two of those images actually look like stills from the movie! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

wow
    0Zxmke4.jpg

Guessing from some of the stuff that used to be in the games but might that be
    a Sith relic from which great strength can be derived by other Sith. After all, Vader was one of the most powerful Sith ever... wasn't he?

Bacchus wrote: »
    After all, Vader was one of the most powerful Sith ever... wasn't he?

Well, his midichlorian count was off the charts! Higher even than Master Yoda's.

<rolleyes.gif>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Goodshape wrote: »
    Giacchino did JJ's Star Trek films? Have to say, I thought those scores were really lacking and underwhelming compared to what I've grown to expect of a Star Trek film from the likes of Goldsmith and Horner.

There was nothing of the splendour and majesty that (eg) an Enterprise reveal deserves. All felt pretty generic and even out of place at times.

What? the main theme is absolutely superb.

Advertisement