Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Tony EH wrote: »
    But, in general, CGI should be incidental and not used for anything organic, especially when a sense of physicality is needed

Rocket Raccoon is offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

He can be offended all he wants.

Now, there's a stupid character, if ever there was one. :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

He can be offended all he wants.

Stupid...like a fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

"He thinks I'm some stupid thing! He does!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

That's why I can only watch the originals, in their original form. Although 'The Empire Strikes Back' escaped relatively unharmed, thank god.

Harmy's despecialized edition of Star Wars is incredible. For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's well worth tracking down.

Check out the making of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If they got rid of Jar Jar and the Gungans, dropped those wretched "Roger Roger" droids, got a better child actor for Anakin, abandoned the mediclorian nonsense and just darkened up the piece generally, 'The Phantom menace' would have been an ok (just ok) introduction to the new set of films.

But, Lucas actually went about 100 steps further into bad territory with the sequel, 'Attack of the Clones'.

Even from the name, I knew that was going to be bad, I just didn't know how bad. It's actually unwatchable.

Too many sycophants around Lucas, afraid to say no to his sillier ideas and that awful Rick McCallum pretending to be interested in the series, when all he gave a fuck about was the shillings.

And I WILL say, that if I had access to everything that Lucas had during the making of the prequels, I would have made master pieces.

In comparison, anyway.

I didn't mind the battle droids so much and in the Clone Wars tv show (which is what the prequels SHOULD have been) they're pretty entertaining and have personality.

I definitely agree the biggest failing of the prequels was not enough people challenging Lucas. The OT was his baby too but it seemed like much more of a collaborative effort, and having other directors do the sequels and write the script definitely helped. McCallum was just a lackey who went along with everything Lucas wanted.

Of the prequels Episode III is easily the best but even that has some awful moments, Padme dying because "she's lost the will to live" what in the christ is that nonsense? I lost the will to live many a Monday morning in work and I didnt keel over at my desk. And the ridiculously overblown duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan, what could have been such a phenomenal moment if it was kept more low key just descends into complete farcical stuff like swinging around on cables and surfing on lava rivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

krudler wrote: »
    I definitely agree the biggest failing of the prequels was not enough people challenging Lucas. The OT was his baby too but it seemed like much more of a collaborative effort, and having other directors do the sequels and write the script definitely helped. McCallum was just a lackey who went along with everything Lucas wanted.

To me it seems the difference between the original trilogy and the prequels is that for the OT Lucas had to fight to make it. Nobody had any faith in him and it was a complete struggle (I think he may even have had a heart attack when filming).

But for the prequels, he was given carte blanche by a studio who didn't seem to care what he did as they knew they'd make a fortune.

He was genuinely passionate about the OT and was just a big kid playing with the prequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Hard not to laugh at the post saying people don't know why they dislike the prequels. There is nothing to like about them. The story, dialogue, characters and acting are all terrible, while the special effects are occasionally stylish they're mostly only a failed attempt at distracting from all of the above.

humanji wrote: »
    To me it seems the difference between the original trilogy and the prequels is that for the OT Lucas had to fight to make it.

Aye. If Lucas had had his way in 1977, Han Solo would have been a green alien.

Can you just imagine how shite that would have been.

But, I genuinely think that Gary Kurtz had more to do with guiding Lucas' hand than is known.

By Jedi, though, it proved to be his downfall and the two were at loggerheads over Deathstar 2 and Ewoks.

The likes of McCallum makes my skin crawl though. His every disingenuous utterance made me want to smash the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Aye. If Lucas had had his way in 1977, Han Solo would have been a green alien.

Can you just imagine how shite that would have been.

Greedo shoots first, kills Han and takes his place for the rest of the trilogy. Suddenly Lucas' re-edit of that scene makes sense! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

The clone wars worth watching?

Roar wrote: »
    Harmy's despecialized edition of Star Wars is incredible. For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's well worth tracking down.

That's an absolutely mind boggling amount of work gone into that.

And I can attest to how fantastic the finished product looks. :eek:

It's like George's molestations were just a bad dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

I'm still not sure how I feel about the idea of an episode 7. The hype surrounding it is interesting but on the other hand, the prequels were sub par in comparison to the original trilogy and Return of the Jedi wrapped the story up significantly. Plus, the cast members from the original trilogy are quite old now to say the least. I guess that the Star Wars franchise will keep on being milked as long as it's popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Roar wrote: »

That's actually crazy impressive, I knew of a despecialized edition but I figured it was just a mish mash of shots from the dvd and blurays, had no idea so much work went into it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

There's a whole load of info and spoilers out there at the moment. If you want to avoid it, then might be best to vacant the internet for a few days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Blu-ray originals are rumoured to be coming before the new film. See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

krudler wrote: »
    That's actually crazy impressive, I knew of a despecialized edition but I figured it was just a mish mash of shots from the dvd and blurays, had no idea so much work went into it.

No, not a mish-mash at all. The quality of these things is truly astounding.

I'd implore anyone to seek them out. It's the best Star Wars experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

D.Q wrote: »
    The clone wars worth watching?

It's a mixed bag eye em oh but certainly worth a look. Their Anakin is pretty much a regular guy with the occasional dark streak.

Although
    the Mortis arc showing him that he'll become Vader then wiping it from his brain
    was just awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

From Edgar Wrights Twitter

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/501572808162304000

I just realised that Shaun of the Dead is one of the best adventure movies there is, as hilarious as it is tense and within 90 mins you really feel like you know them strong characterisation. So Wright is perfect for Star Wars.

Then again, JJ and Wright are just great friends.

shaun_of_the_dead_cast_6612l.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

• Advertisement

I still have a image of superpowered (basically) Luke Skywalker dueling it out with our new enemy to the tunes of Duel of the Fates, as the new gang of young ones run for their lives.

But I don't want them pandering to relatively old folks (not really) :p

Speaking OTHER things.. Episode IX

We're probably going to look back and laugh at the bizarre rumours forming our own bizarre inner narratives

original.jpg

do androids dream of electric sheep?

they do if they work on a moisture farm :naughty:

brilliant
    darth.jpg

Almost Game of Thrones-like, which the OT has a lot in common with in trems of survival and living on the edge, shock and awe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

sw-e7-stormtrooper2-jpg.jpg

just found this..we were in London a few years ago and there was a huge star wars exhibit on at City hall, like really huge..all props and models from the films, including anakins full sized pod racer, among a million other things..best bit was getting to meet the real R2 and 3PO..
    10616646_10153088930693032_2366238956075508444_n.jpg

These are the best article I've seen on the new movie and the directors/storytellers that apparently want to shake it up including Abrams, Ep VII is not going to be safe movie at all. Something will happen at its "core that will rock and shake the very foundation of the series and fandom". More so than the PT even dared.

It'd be amazing if we got filmakers like Johnson onboard, Kathyrn Bigelow would be fascinating.

I'm also beginning to believe that all the information we have so far, is fed disinformation from Bad Robot and Disney, and we don't know anything concrete outside what we have saw in photos.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/21/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-star-wars-again/

http://collider.com/star-wars-sequels-expand-universe/

These are some of the most interesting stories that would be amazing, in the comments
    Something like Luke gone awry and batty, treated like a weapon by Obi Wan and Yoda as a means to beating Vader (which he was), and basically realisng that he doesn't want the Jedi or Sith to continue (having learnt more about them) and even dare try to repeat the same mistakes and perputate the cycles of never ending war, so he lets the idea die permanently. That ROTJ is in retrospect all about Luke setting out on his own away from Han and Leia, and leaving the past in the past

What about this? JJ seems like a guy deeply rooted in the history of whatever franchise he's working on. For that reason, I think he has 'Apocalypse Now' on the mind. We all know that Lucas was originally supposed to direct it, having spent years developing the story with Milius. So rocking Star Wars to its core sounds to me like a story of Luke gone Kurtz and Han going 'up river' to stop him. Harrison was even in Apocalypse Now for chrissakes.

It's the whole "it's like poetry. It rhymes" thing, but having to do with the real life backstory of Star Wars.

it recasts RETURN OF THE JEDI not as a happy ending, but as a fleeting, personal victory--Luke beats Vader, Vader defeats Palpatine, the Rebellion blows up the Death Star. It's a happy ending, yeah, just like the ending of A NEW HOPE... a story that led right into EMPIRE.

The thought that our heroes were SCATTERED immediately after Endor--scattered, separated, and even captured.

And a new generation have to step forth to handle the disheveled state of the universe post Jedi extinction.

Honestly, how great would this be? In a way it would follow Lucas' (and STAR WARS as a franchise) own trajectory: a fringe-y, non- (or anti?) establishment voice that then winds up becoming the new establishment/status quo that fosters its own fringe-y "rebellion" in retaliation.

So Han becomes a New Republic general, neutered and stashed away in a Star Destroyer, his swashbuckling days well past over. Luke, the hero of the rebellion, a forgotten hermit lost to obscurity. Leia, a shell of her former royalty, now a figurehead in a much bigger political machine. The spark of rebellion long gone and are now settled into something in desperate need of a major shake-up.

I'd totally watch this.

Here's a new picture.

_77498498_77498497.jpg

In case you have no idea what Star Wars is, the BBC have put two big red arrows in to help you find the Star Wars related material in this picture.

See here.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Here's a new picture.

_77498498_77498497.jpg

In case you have no idea what Star Wars is, the BBC have put two big red arrows in to help you find the Star Wars related material in this picture.

See here.

Wait....is this Ryanair's new Boeing fleet being unveiled ?

Customers: What a piece of junk!
    O' Leary: She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid.

• Advertisement

Want a flight Mos Eisley?

Sorry, we only go to Jabba's Palace. You can get a bus from there though. It'll take 45 mins.

Advertisement