Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

That's pretty cool. Though I have to confess I'm slightly disappointed they only built half of the Millenium Falcon.

If anyone wants to see the precise location, I'm 99.9% sure it's at 51.378524,-1.303505 (https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=51.378524,-1.303505&hl=en&ll=51.378173,-1.30041&spn=0.002361,0.006539&sll=51.378489,-1.303116&sspn=0.000959,0.002615&t=h&gl=ie&z=18)

They seem to have decorated it a little for the movie (eg the yellow markings in the top right and pair of silver pipes in the grassy area next to the Falcon cockpit.

However the rest of the location seems to just be as it is everyday (eg those building in the top left of the pix).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Here's another pix of the location.
    http://www.film-locations.co.uk/catalog.php?item=1730

Apparently it it's a well established film location.

It seems vaguely reminiscent of the Yavin base from the original Star Wars film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Ah good old Threepio. I'm trying to think of a single interesting or useful thing that he did in the prequels....

Nope, can't think of anything. Anyway, given what we know about Abrams' move to more traditional values it would have been a travesty if they'd used a CGI version. I shudder when I think of that horrible droid factory scene from AOTC.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/16/star-wars-anthony-daniels-interview/2/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ah good old Threepio. I'm trying to think of a single interesting or useful thing that he did in the prequels....

Nope, can't think of anything. Anyway, given what we know about Abrams' move to more traditional values it would have been a travesty if they'd used a CGI version. I shudder when I think of that horrible droid factory scene from AOTC.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/16/star-wars-anthony-daniels-interview/2/

Am I the only person who can't stand Anthony Daniels? he comes across as a complete knob in every interview he does. I met him years ago at a comic conventions and he was a dick then too. Himelf and Kenny Baker hate each other apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Kenny Baker called him the rudest man he'd ever met.

krudler wrote: »
    Am I the only person who can't stand Anthony Daniels? he comes across as a complete knob in every interview he does. I met him years ago at a comic conventions and he was a dick then too. Himelf and Kenny Baker hate each other apparently.

I'd say you're far from the only person. He comes across as far too self-important a lot of the time. As utterly redundant as Threepio was in the prequels, what I'd love to see in the new films is lots of classic bickering between him and Han like the way we saw it in Empire. I still laugh loudly at those scenes. I loved Threepio's exasperated attempts to tell Han that the Falcon's hyperdrive was damaged as they tried to escape the Imperials, culminating in that line...'BUT SIR!' (cue stern look from Han)...'it can wait'. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

So, Bad Robot just posted THIS -

Interesting detail underneath too!

Geekgasm!

Context - JJ Abrams and Zack Snyder have a little Star Wars / Batman Twitter crossover game going on right now.

http://movienewsguide.com/zack-snyder-stormtrooper-spotted-batman-v-superman-set/30226

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'd say you're far from the only person. He comes across as far too self-important a lot of the time. As utterly redundant as Threepio was in the prequels, what I'd love to see in the new films is lots of classic bickering between him and Han like the way we saw it in Empire. I still laugh loudly at those scenes. I loved Threepio's exasperated attempts to tell Han that the Falcon's hyperdrive was damaged as they tried to escape the Imperials, culminating in that line...'BUT SIR!' (cue stern look from Han)...'it can wait'. :pac::pac:

Yeah, I only briefly met him but he just didn't seem to want to be there, Kenny Baker was really friendly and chatted to everyone, Daniels was just signing autographs and moving people on. He has an air of Star Wars being beneath him, when it's his bread and butter and has been for nearly 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

doubledown wrote: »
    Interesting detail underneath too!

Geekgasm!

Context - JJ Abrams and Zack Snyder have a little Star Wars / Batman Twitter crossover game going on right now.

http://movienewsguide.com/zack-snyder-stormtrooper-spotted-batman-v-superman-set/30226

LOL, I needed that context to figure out WTF that was :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Bacchus wrote: »
    LOL, I needed that context to figure out WTF that was :D

So did I...for a second I thought it was Grievous' head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Fanmade stuff never fails to impress me. It's easily my favourite part of these new movies, the speculation that will come to nothing :D, Lucas and co really did make a sandbox of the imagination, a mythology could go on for eternity and be re-told for every generation. Jedi Council forums source

star_wars_episode_7_poster_starring_john_boyega_by_enoch16-d7a2qya.jpg

A take on Daisy Ridley in an adventurer role, The basic idea is a scoundrel-like female offspring of the Solos, more of a bar brawler with the Force than a chaste monk levitating around rocks.

fem-protagonist.jpg

DarthPlagueisPoster_zps3985de0b.jpg

I ****ing love this next one it gives a great sense of wonder and a large sense of scale while maintaining the Star Wars feel. That almost 60-70's white print retro-looking logo, very cool and bold.

Concept: Luke has found the original Jedi Temple, which was in ruin on some old forgotten world. The temple is actually carved into a natural mountain formation and exists in harmony with the world around it (As opposed to the one built on Corruscant). With it's stone structure in ruin, it looks similar to the half finished Death Star - to show some mirroring of themes. Whereas Palpy wanted to build the Death Star, the ultimate weapon of destruction...Luke is setting out to build a new Jedi Temple and Order

Ep7_fanposterv2a.jpg

Honestly they all look terrible, like something someone whose just got Photoshop would do after a few minutes playing around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly they all look terrible, like something someone whose just got Photoshop would do after a few minutes playing around.

So, pretty much on a par with the standard of many Hollywood posters then? ;) the Star Wars ones above aren't great, but still better than some of the garbage that gets legitimately published. Not a mad fan of fanmade posters myself, fanmade trailers too, I don't see the point, though some of the earlier posters were decent to be fair

6VI4UqT.jpg
    YQ9J7CT.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I find it amazing to think all these relics of ww2 / Cold War still exist throughout Europe, amazing to see history leaving its mark on the landscape. Thing I couldn't help noticing: the crane in the background looks the same colour of green that you'd see used with greenscreens; I wonder if the Millennium Falcon is more than a static prop and 'flies' (though one would probably want more than one crane to stop of wobbling all over the place). That'd certainly be taking the philosophy of keeping things CGI free to an insane degree :D

I should probably stop ruining the film for everyone and myself, and go into blackout soon...........after the first trailer/teaser.......hell I might wait to see the trailer in the cinema for a change........ah **** it, oh am I kidding. Lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

pixelburp wrote: »
    I find it amazing to think all these relics of ww2 / Cold War still exist throughout Europe, amazing to see history leaving its mark on the landscape. Thing I couldn't help noticing: the crane in the background looks the same colour of green that you'd see used with greenscreens; I wonder if the Millennium Falcon is more than a static prop and 'flies' (though one would probably want more than one crane to stop of wobbling all over the place). That'd certainly be taking the philosophy of keeping things CGI free to an insane degree :D

Looks like they're dismantling it, it's missing the cockpit in that shot.

Looks like it's in front of the crane, on the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Compare those photos above to the green screen sets of the prequels.

Star-Wars_2496673b.jpg

My imagination is running wild thinking of scenarios involving that hanger set up above.

They look like they're doing everything right so far, and I'm getting more and more excited for episode VII every time i see a new photo.

Just 15 more months to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I must be the only person looking forward to these films who wants to watch them without knowing anything about the plot, characters, sets, millineum falcon etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I must be the only person looking forward to these films who wants to watch them without knowing anything about the plot, characters, sets, millineum falcon etc etc.

I'd imagine those people have stopped following threads like this.

pixelburp wrote: »

I have a big interest in all things Cold War-ish so I'm delighted to see a Star Wars link to it for the new film. While it was a horrible time for many, one thing that did come out of that era was all these interesting buildings, structures, bases, etc. If we're going back to the 'lived in' look of the OT then something like this makes perfect sense for Abrams to bring into the equation.

Regarding the avoidance of spoilers and the advice above that if you want to avoid every image and bit of news about the film then it's best to give this thread a miss, I think it's done a pretty good job so far with spoiler texts and so on. Obviously as we get closer to the release date it might all get a little trickier to manage.

Personally, I'll be avoiding any detailed references to the plot and script. I'd love to go into the cinema completely 'cold' but it's just impossible these days! Hopefully, I'll have seen a trailer or two, know who the main characters are, bare details of the story, the names of one or two of the planets and that's it. I'd be happy enough with that.

I'm in two minds. As I've gotten older I've gotten to the point where I don't watch trailers any more - I want to go into films blind and not have anything spoiled for me, and leave the film surprise me as the film makers intended, and not say to myself during the film "oh, that's from the trailer, I know that from the trailer, that bit was in the trailer"

I didn't know anything about guardians of the galaxy and I loved that, and I've not seen or read anything relating to Interstellar, and I aim to keep it that way.

With Star Wars though, I'm such a nerd when it comes to the series I'm not sure if I'll be able to help myself. I've been pouring over the leaked shots already, and it'll take everything in my power not to read anything about the plot before release date. It's gonna be a bit of work to try and go into this as blind as possible (I'd have loved to have not known that the original cast was in this, but that was always going to be impossible), but I'll have to stop myself from spoiling the whole thing before it hits cinemas.

A think a lot of people are kind of wary about going into a Star Wars film "blind", due to the terrible burns they received from those wretched prequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,055 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Tony EH wrote: »
    A think a lot of people are kind of wary about going into a Star Wars film "blind", due to the terrible burns they received from those wretched prequels.
    will anyone who is interested enough to see how the filming is going and look at set pics - not got see the movie regardless of what they see/hear about it?

For my money, people will go see it regardless of the pre-release build (positive or negative) because they have to see it for themselves.

I'm at an age were I'm beyond paying to see duff crap in the cinema and so are many others.

Something has to be worth seeing for me to make the effort these days and, frankly, if reports aren't good, I'll simply wait and watch it at home.

Cinema, these days, is just too liberally littered with a sub-par product to justify the time, effort and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Roar wrote: »
    Compare those photos above to the green screen sets of the prequels.

Star-Wars_2496673b.jpg

My imagination is running wild thinking of scenarios involving that hanger set up above.

They look like they're doing everything right so far, and I'm getting more and more excited for episode VII every time i see a new photo.

Just 15 more months to go!

Bit misleading, to be fair. There were plenty of physical effects in the Prequels and there will be plenty of CGI in the new films.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Bit misleading, to be fair. There were plenty of physical effects in the Prequels and there will be plenty of CGI in the new films.

there wasn't much location filming though, that's the point I was making. There was a bit in TPM, a bit in AOTC and ROTS looked like it was filmed in a cupboard with a green cloth on a wall while George shouted "FASTER, MORE INTENSE" at utterly bored and frustrated actors.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Roar wrote: »
    there wasn't much location filming though, that's the point I was making. There was a bit in TPM, a bit in AOTC and ROTS looked like it was filmed in a cupboard with a green cloth on a wall while George shouted "FASTER, MORE INTENSE" at utterly bored and frustrated actors.

I always got the feeling that the problem with the prequels wasn't the amount of CGI used, it was the director.

EDIT: What I mean by that is that you could give those films to a different director, and using the same plot, same amount of CGI, and the same actors, you'd end up with a better film.

Of course, any respectable director would have fired half the cast and changed the plot completely, and that's just step one.

• Advertisement

It's a bit of both.

It's not really the amount of CGI used, it's where and how it was used.

CGI should NEVER be used for major characters, Gollum being the only exception that I can actually think of. But that was one in a million.

Plus, when every set is CGI, it creates a fakeness that, perhaps your eye mightn't notice, but your brain will...to paraphrase a certain Mr Plinkett.

CGI is useful for hardware and things like that, but in general, it's not there yet (and will not be for a long time) for use on organic characters, especially those that are front and centre.

But, even hardware suffers waaaay too often from a lack of realistic physical restraints, often resulting in an unsatisfactory experience, such as aircraft pulling unrealistic and impossible maneuvers.

Advertisement