Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing Hard to Get

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Eve_Dublin wrote: »

That wasn't my phrase though, I was quoting Sorcha16 who, ironically, thanked your post (which made me smirk)!

Here's the post in question with the phrase highlighted:

Anyway, glad we're on the same page. Night!

Oh I see, it wasn't in inverted commas so I wrongly attributed it to you. It was that particular phraseology that didn't sit well with me.

I have friends, both male and female, that can be very judgemental of such scenarios and I tend to react quite strongly to any negative language used around that.

Goodnight! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

It's not a fact. What risks are you talking about? What difference would it make if you met that stranger 20 more times then slept with them? STIs, for example, don't just cure themselves the more you get to know them.

How is having sex with someone disrespecting your body? And why does it make a difference if you do it on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 50th date?

Your comments are judgemental.

One thing I've noticed on here is that "the more liberal" people get very defensive about statements that if they weren't in direct reference to sexual relations would not raise an eyebrow.

Of course there's higher risks for all sorts of things with some one you;ve had a few hour long interaction, like if I was out drinking and and wanted to continue the night after the pubs closed I would be wary about going to some one that I'd just mets apartment alone with a few bottles where as if I probably wouldn;t hesitate if I'd met the person a few times. I would say thats uncontroversial common sense that wouldn;t raise an eyebrow on here, where as if this statement was rephrased into the person being a one night stand rather than just some drinks it suddenly becomes controversial and judgemental :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

One thing I've noticed on here is that "the more liberal" people get very defensive about statements that if they weren't in direct reference to sexual relations would not raise an eyebrow.

You're going to have to explain that one to me. I'm baffled.
    Of course there's higher risks for all sorts of things with some one you;ve had a few hour long interaction[/B], like if I was out drinking and and wanted to continue the night after the pubs closed I would be wary about going to some one that I'd just mets apartment alone with a few bottles where as if I probably wouldn;t hesitate if I'd met the person a few times. I would say thats uncontroversial common sense that wouldn;t raise an eyebrow on here, where as if this statement was rephrased into the person being a one night stand rather than just some drinks it suddenly becomes controversial and judgemental :confused:

Why "of course"? The vast majority of rapes occur between people who are already acquainted, for example. That'd be one risk which I'm sure springs to many people's mind. I wanted examples of how someone is more at risk with someone after a first date than with someone after two dates. Can you provide them instead of simply stating it's "common sense"? I can't see how it's common sense. We're specifically talking about safe sex with a stranger you've had one date with here, btw. I'd be grateful if you could provide examples of risks that are specific to this please.

Of course there's higher risks for all sorts of things with some one you;ve had a few hour long interaction, like if I was out drinking and and wanted to continue the night after the pubs closed I would be wary about going to some one that I'd just mets apartment alone with a few bottles where as if I probably wouldn;t hesitate if I'd met the person a few times. I would say thats uncontroversial common sense that wouldn;t raise an eyebrow on here, where as if this statement was rephrased into the person being a one night stand rather than just some drinks it suddenly becomes controversial and judgemental :confused:

I wouldn't be wary of this in the slightest. I've had some of the best nights of my life at house parties of people I've met and talked to that night. I believe most people aren't dodgy and can be trusted. I've travelled a continent on my own, moved country on my own, lived alone....if I didn't give a stranger a chance, I'd be a very lonely person. If the person seems like a weirdo or sleazy or dodgy, I wouldn't go back for an ONS or a house party. I'd take the same precautions in both circumstances. And I've usually talked to the person before I've slept with them just as I've talked to the person holding a house party. No one's talking about picking someone off the street without saying a word to them.

What has been liberal got to do with it? Conservatives don't enjoy a good house party with a stranger, no? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

Siuin wrote: »
    I really don’t understand it. What is it with some guys' need to feel as if they should really have to work hard and suffer in order to sleep with a woman for her to be of any value? I just fail to understand the merits of sending a guy back home after a great date with a severe case of blue balls when we both clearly want to have sex. Hell, at times I think it’s best to cut to the chase early in order to clear the sexual tension so that you can really get to know the person without your judgement being clouded by the overwhelming urge to ride them senseless.

A male friend of mine (well, I use the term loosely as he’s really a ‘facebook friend’, which is an entirely different matter altogether) recently told me that I should have played harder to get in order to retain the attention of a guy I was dating, but to be honest I’m simply far too direct a person and feel that it’s a little immature to have to revert to such childish tactics to keep a guy keen.

If I like someone, why should I need to fúck with his head and build up this persona of a Woman of Mystery in order to keep his attention? After all, when we eventually do have sex, aren't we back to where we started anyway? It’s just sex; it’s a natural urge just like any other, so why put the pússy on a pedestal and build it up to be something it’s not? I wouldn't even call it a Madonna/Whore complex – just a matter of some guys feeling as if they always need to hunt for their food and if they don’t get a chance to stalk and kill it, then it can’t have been all that tasty to begin with.

Just… why?!

Some people consider sex to be something intimate and emotional to be taken slowly. It is not a game it is based on genuine feeling.

I find it annoying that people assume that there is one pace in any kind of social situation.

Some men and women I would think want to feel that what they are doing together is special and don't want to rush it.

Others don't feel that intimacy requires a certain time period.

I want to get to know someone before it goes that far. I don't want t sleep with people i later find out are not nice people.

Some people do rush into things too fast because of lack of self respect.

It is different for everyone.

So long as people respect my feelings the subject and on my own body then I respect theirs:)

I don't think consensual sex with free adults should be judged. But i don't like when it goes the other way and people are judged for wanting to move at a different pace or even not at all. Being non judgmental works both ways.

Different women will have different interpretations of feminism and different measures of it's usefulness in their own lives.

If the OP did not care.....this thread would not be here.

I think it is a sensitive issue.....if you are not hurting anyone including yourself ...you do yours your way...

If some women want to play games and enjoy it ..well them let them..that's their choice to make and enjoy. Some men do like it...some don't

But some women are not playing games and simply have much different boundaries.

• Advertisement

You're going to have to explain that one to me. I'm baffled.

Why "of course"? The vast majority of rapes occur between people who are already acquainted, for example.

I was referring to liberal in terms of the way these debates tend to follow into a liberal/modern vs a conservative/traditional view of things and the fact that disagreement does necessarily imply judgment.

In relation to the second part I'm aware that rape is generally committed by someone known the victim (70 or 80% i think) however I'm willing to be proved wrong on this (as I don;t know how they class 'known') but I consider that this known to the victim would probably encompass 1st dates and situations where attacker and victim have met for a period before the attack took place.

I wouldn't be wary of this in the slightest. I've had some of the best nights of my life at house parties of people I've met and talked to that night. I believe most people aren't dodgy and can be trusted.
    Can you provide them instead of simply stating it's "common sense"? I can't see how it's common sense. We're specifically talking about safe sex with a stranger you've had one date with here, btw. I'd be grateful if you could provide examples of risks that are specific to this please.

I didn't realize this discussion was based entirely safe sex (in fact its clearly not as you brought rape into it), Here's an example, I just read on some other thread about some guy throwing a drink on a girl for chatting to him when she had a boyfriend, now in this hypothetical if that person went of to a one night stand with this guy and rejected his advance later she'd be in a situation alone guy with clearly poor anger management at the least, if she rejected him that night with the intention of meeting again she'd probably pick up the anger.
    I wouldn't be wary of this in the slightest. I've had some of the best nights of my life at house parties of people I've met and talked to that night. I believe most people aren't dodgy and can be trusted.

Fair play to you and I agree that most people are decent however has nobody ever surprised you after a poor first impression? this things work the other way too, and there's plenty of people that are complete scumbags that can mask dodgyness for a while an extreme example of this is Ted Bundy (and no I don't live in fear of serial killers :) its just its hard to find a reported Joe Soap).
    And I've usually talked to the person before I've slept with them just as I've talked to the person holding a house party.

:D

I just remember having been on the "other side" of this going back to a persons place thing, when a fair few years ago used to go back to a flat to drink after the pub a lot and sometimes one or two other people would end up back as well a lot of the time the large scary eastern European ex-navy guy who also lived there would come down and yell at us to be quiet, obviously nothing else happened but the look of "oh sh*t" could be quite clear on peoples faces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

Please.. I wish only to grapple, naked by the hearth

In relation to the second part I'm aware that rape is generally committed by someone known the victim (70 or 80% i think) however I'm willing to be proved wrong on this (as I don;t know how they class 'known') but I consider that this known to the victim would probably encompass 1st dates and situations where attacker and victim have met for a period before the attack took place.

I don't have those stats here but most rapes committed by family members, boyfriends and husbands. I'm going to work now but can dig it out for you later.

I didn't realize this discussion was based entirely safe sex (in fact its clearly not as you brought rape into it), Here's an example, I just read on some other thread about some guy throwing a drink on a girl for chatting to him when she had a boyfriend, now in this hypothetical if that person went of to a one night stand with this guy and rejected his advance later she'd be in a situation alone guy with clearly poor anger management at the least, if she rejected him that night with the intention of meeting again she'd probably pick up the anger.

I've mentioned safe sex all the way through. Every single post, so yep, I'm talking about safe sex (I don't understand your point regarding rape). If someone doesn't take those precautions, they're a ****ing idiot. That guy you're talking about is nut job but you wouldn't go home with that guy, would you? You already know he's loo-la. You don't know a person any better and usually nutjobs, in my own personal experience don't usually act "nutty" when you meet them. My ex a long time ago threatened to set my friend's bedroom on fire and kill us both. I'd been going out with him for 3 months at that stage and he was nice as pie. It's those kinds of stories I hear more commonly (mad exes, crazy boyfriends, violent husbands) than people getting attacked on ONS or first dates.
    Fair play to you and I agree that most people are decent however has nobody ever surprised you after a poor first impression? this things work the other way too, and there's plenty of people that are complete scumbags that can mask dodgyness for a while an extreme example of this is Ted Bundy (and no I don't live in fear of serial killers :) its just its hard to find a reported Joe Soap).

Never....except the mad ex who I mentioned above. And the point you mad above about masking dodginess....of course! They'll mask it 'till they're alone with you...1st, 2nd or 5th date. The guy will be dodgy on the 1st date and dodgy on the 3rd.

:D

That was sarcasm to highlight no one would be stupid enough to pick some randomer off the street and bring them home. I've ALWAYS talked to the person previously.

Anyway, you wouldn't have a ONS, you wouldn't go to a house party. I would and I've been fine. I'm in a relationship now so those days have ended (days of ONS). If a woman waits to see if the guy is safe or not, no problems. I've said before I've no problems with that. I'm specifically referring to those women who wait for waitings sake. Who play hard-to-get so as to avoid the label from society of "whore". Waiting to the 2nd date makes zero difference.

I just remember having been on the "other side" of this going back to a persons place thing, when a fair few years ago used to go back to a flat to drink after the pub a lot and sometimes one or two other people would end up back as well a lot of the time the large scary eastern European ex-navy guy who also lived there would come down and yell at us to be quiet, obviously nothing else happened but the look of "oh sh*t" could be quite clear on peoples faces

Nice story. Where's the relevance? Would he have vanished all of a sudden if you'd met those people a few more times then brought them back? Anyway, he wasn't dangerous, nothing happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Often at house partys the noise upsets the neighbours, who may be trying to sleep. Sometimes they yell because they are tired and have to be up early. The physical appearance/nationality/gender of the sleep deprived neighbour has little relevance to your story.
    As a warning of the dangers of house partys, all I could learn from your story is maybe remember to keep the volume down as people are trying to sleep.

Often at house partys the noise upsets the neighbours, who may be trying to sleep. Sometimes they yell because they are tired and have to be up early. The physical appearance/nationality/gender of the sleep deprived neighbour has little relevance to your story.
    As a warning of the dangers of house partys, all I could learn from your story is maybe remember to keep the volume down as people are trying to sleep.

But he was EASTERN EUROPEAN Daisybelle! EASTERN EUROPEAN!! :eek:

Some people consider sex to be something intimate and emotional to be taken slowly. It is not a game it is based on genuine feeling.

I find it annoying that people assume that there is one pace in any kind of social situation.

Some men and women I would think want to feel that what they are doing together is special and don't want to rush it.

Others don't feel that intimacy requires a certain time period.

I want to get to know someone before it goes that far. I don't want t sleep with people i later find out are not nice people.

Some people do rush into things too fast because of lack of self respect.

It is different for everyone.

So long as people respect my feelings the subject and on my own body then I respect theirs:)

I don't think consensual sex with free adults should be judged. But i don't like when it goes the other way and people are judged for wanting to move at a different pace or even not at all. Being non judgmental works both ways.

Different women will have different interpretations of feminism and different measures of it's usefulness in their own lives.

If the OP did not care.....this thread would not be here.

I think it is a sensitive issue.....if you are not hurting anyone including yourself ...you do yours your way...

If some women want to play games and enjoy it ..well them let them..that's their choice to make and enjoy. Some men do like it...some don't

But some women are not playing games and simply have much different boundaries.

I don't think anyone is judging someone who wants to wait because they actually want to wait. It's being made clear several times now that she's referring to those who don't sleep with a person until the second date for fear of being labelled a slapper. I think we all agree that no judgement should be made on those who want to wait or those who don't. The problem arises when people rush into it (for fear of being labelled a frigid!) or wait for fear of being judged (slapper!). That's what she's referring to. At no time has she said, "People shouldn't wait! They should sleep with someone immediately.". All she's saying is that someone should not be judged for doing so.

I hate boards and its ability to loose long posts on you :( (the lost reply had all the quotes in it)

OK in relation to the story of drinking and the flatmate coming down and yelling it was an example of how people judged/assessed us as a harmless group of lads of having a bit of craic, however the appearance of someone else they hadn't met who appeared intimidating suddenly changed the situation in their heads, whereas if they'd know us they would have known the guy (and known he was noisy at other times)
    But he was EASTERN EUROPEAN Daisybelle! EASTERN EUROPEAN!! :eek:

So for example small Spanish student is just as intimidating as a EE ex service man :rolleyes: must tell Hollywood that so they can widen they're cast of villains and henchmen (you man was actually a nice guy though and for the record I actually really like eastern europe and its people).
    I've mentioned safe sex all the way through. Every single post, so yep, I'm talking about safe sex (I don't understand your point regarding rape).

Ok maybe this is a male view but too me safe sex refers to contraception (and the various health ads would agree seem to imply that too) so by referring to rape in your posts your broadening the discussion.
    That guy you're talking about is nut job but you wouldn't go home with that guy, would you? You already know he's loo-la.

Re-read the scenario

In this hypothetical how does she know he's got a major problem with rejection (loo-la)? if she agrees to go back with him the first time she doesn;t reject him (which triggers his aggression) till shes on her own.
    You don't know a person any better and usually nutjobs, in my own personal experience don't usually act "nutty" when you meet them.

Ok I feel we're just in disagreement at a basic level on this, I think you get to know someone better after a period of time, you go on first impressions, each to their own.
    My ex a long time ago threatened to set my friend's bedroom on fire and kill us both. I'd been going out with him for 3 months at that stage and he was nice as pie. It's those kinds of stories I hear more commonly (mad exes, crazy boyfriends, violent husbands) than people getting attacked on ONS or first dates.

You see again I'd take a different perspective on those sort of occurrence in that to an outside observer thats not involved a lot of the time these people seem "a bit off" or scumbaggy long before anything happens but their partners are blind to this or go off the initial charming impression made to them.
    Anyway, you wouldn't have a ONS, you wouldn't go to a house party. I would and I've been fine.

I've done both actually (one more than other though) but I don't get offended by people considering that it may be slightly risky behavior, saying something is more risky doesn't necessarily imply judgment! positive or negative

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I'd just like to make the point that some women I've only met have known me better in two hours talking in a pub than some people who've known me my entire life. Just because you only meet someone doesn't mean there isn't connection.

I hate boards and its ability to loose long posts on you :( (the lost reply had all the quotes in it)

OK in relation to the story of drinking and the flatmate coming down and yelling it was an example of how people judged/assessed us as a harmless group of lads of having a bit of craic, however the appearance of someone else they hadn't met who appeared intimidating suddenly changed the situation in their heads, whereas if they'd know us they would have known the guy (and known he was noisy at other times)

So for example small Spanish student is just as intimidating as a EE ex service man :rolleyes: must tell Hollywood that so they can widen they're cast of villains and henchmen (you man was actually a nice guy though and for the record I actually really like eastern europe and its people).

Ok maybe this is a male view but too me safe sex refers to contraception (and the various health ads would agree seem to imply that too) so by referring to rape in your posts your broadening the discussion.

Re-read the scenario

In this hypothetical how does she know he's got a major problem with rejection (loo-la)? if she agrees to go back with him the first time she doesn;t reject him (which triggers his aggression) till shes on her own.

Ok I feel we're just in disagreement at a basic level on this, I think you get to know someone better after a period of time, you go on first impressions, each to their own.

You see again I'd take a different perspective on those sort of occurrence in that to an outside observer thats not involved a lot of the time these people seem "a bit off" or scumbaggy long before anything happens but their partners are blind to this or go off the initial charming impression made to them.

I've done both actually (one more than other though) but I don't get offended by people considering that it may be slightly risky behavior, saying something is more risky doesn't necessarily imply judgment! positive or negative

We disagree. You're going off on one about the dangers of ONS. This thread is about judging those who have them unfairly labelling them sluts, whores etc. Should people be called these things for taking a risk? :confused:There was a thread in TLL which dealt with the risks of ONS. Maybe head over there and debate it. I'm not interested in debating it here as obviously our experiences differ hugely and it's not what the discussion is about.

By the way, the guy was intimidating to your guests...big deal. Nothing happened. That's what it comes down to. I live in a rough part of Madrid with lots of intimidating people. Am I going to avoid the streets everyday? No. Perhaps your guests are nervous types. I'm not. I don't expect everyone else to be like me, so I've no problem going to house parties and engaging in ONS. Perhaps others are nervous by it and are intimidated by tall (but ultimately harmless) men from Eastern Europe but I'm not. C'est la vie. Live and let live.

I just want to reiterate though: I have no problem someone deciding to not go home with someone because they feel it's unsafe. I can absolutely see where they're coming from. However, I don't like the names put on women who do decide to do this. I take risks everyday of my life but I'm not labelled a whore for it. It's more the harsh judgement of these women that I've a problem with.

That's it from me. I've made my feelings known. Good luck!

Advertisement