Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Lelantos wrote: »
    Is it a denial of IRA murder of kids in Ireland, both sides of the border?

No.

Why would Irish people want to commemorate an occupying army that have intentionally targetted and killed tens of thousands of people in this State including children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

appears as if they've bn shot thru the heart; like someones to blame.

time to put that poppy to bed already. much like the concept of britain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

An even better poppy - http://i48.tinypic.com/2e4kod5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

BX 19 wrote: »
    Its only a problem if you make it out to be one

19164363.jpg

That's the war memorial at Islandbridge in Dublin for those that don't know

I hate that flower or is it a weed?Brits and those who fought for them wear them out of some sort of respect.In my small minded opinion,Sod them all.Roll on the `16.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Only eight more days left , thank God and the spaghetti monster above for the poll results we will receive.Jesus wep't them Germans have a lot to answer for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

philologos wrote: »
    As I and others have explained to you, the poppy as a symbol has a more meaningful significance considering it is based on the poem In Flanders Fields by John McCrae. McCrae was Canadian. The symbol can be interpreted to one degree or another. It does not require the wearer to claim that the British army never made mistakes, or even that every war that the British fought was "a good war" and so on. Indeed, the poppy also allows scope for remembering the futility of war also. Pretty much all it is that poppies happened to grow near Flanders where John McCrae was when he was writing his poem in 1915.

Very noble indeed although this totally ignores the current politicisation of the red poppy. Would you wear the white poppy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

Tuned into some football earlier; was treated to a military precession is there no escape give it a rest you fcuking clowns...

I simply don't do subjection to oversaturation and will always be riled by it in all its forms, but saw the lighter side of it and so ripped the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Very noble indeed although this totally ignores the current politicisation of the red poppy. Would you wear the white poppy?

The only people politicising the poppy are the twats in the green army.

The only people politicising the poppy are the twats in the green army.

Ha ha, nice try. The red poppy is all about politics, any highly myoptic person can even see that!

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

the poppy is a fund raising exercise by the ba for vets. to wear a poppy is to support ba vets not only from ww1 or ww2 but also ireland campaigns,irag,afghanistan or any other imperialist road trip the ba has been on. no self respecting irishman could wear a poppy. why do some wear it?.........cos we have a large population of cap tipping quislings in ireland.

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »

Any figures? We know there were many "collateral damage" incidences of slaughter of Iraqi and Afghan kids by the British forces, ya know those wedding atrocities.

Was there?

It's funny, according to Nodin, no one has a problem with UN missions.

Unless it's the British, obviously. It's a shame the Irish don't have the balls to actually use their army properly then the poppy wouldn't be so relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'm not "politicising" anything by choosing to wear the red poppy. I believe that it is a good thing to remember the fallen on November 11th, and to think about conflict and war on that day.

It's quite bizarre how interested you and others are in how I decided to commemorate the dead at war.

Ha ha, nice try. The red poppy is all about politics, any highly myoptic person can even see that!

Politicised by Irish nationalists, yes.

I hate that flower or is it a weed?Brits and those who fought for them wear them out of some sort of respect.In my small minded opinion,Sod them all.Roll on the `16.

Ooh ah up da ra I said ooh ah up da ra.

I'm not "politicising" anything by choosing to wear the red poppy. I believe that it is a good thing to remember the fallen on November 11th, and to think about conflict and war on that day.

It's quite bizarre how interested you and others are in how I decided to commemorate the dead at war.

I am not claiming you are politicising it, I am saying the red poppy is a politicised symbol... there is a difference.

You failed to answer the question about the white poppy, would you wear one?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

the poppy is a fundraising exercise its not soley about remembering the fallen from ww1. its raises money for ba vets that have servedin every imperialist deed of the empire. you are basically supporting the brit war machine. if you wear a poppy you support the ba's actions in ireland,iraq,afghansitan etc............
    no other way of putting it.

Politicised by Irish nationalists, yes.

Very few Irish nationalists in Britain and yet I see a politicised symbol so it must be something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Was there?

It's funny, according to Nodin, no one has a problem with UN missions.

Unless it's the British, obviously. It's a shame the Irish don't have the balls to actually use their army properly then the poppy wouldn't be so relevant.

You don't make sense and you never have. I don't remember Irish warplanes and tanks bombing Afghan and Iraqi civilians? Please elaborate oh Frederick.

gurramok wrote: »

You don't make sense and you never have. I don't remember Irish warplanes and tanks bombing Afghan and Iraqi civilians? Please elaborate oh Frederick.

The British participation in the cirrent Afghan war is no different to the Irish presence in Chad.

In fact, the Afghan war is being carried out with the support of the Irish, except of course the Irish army is woefully underfunded and therefore cant play a useful role. If they could, it would take some pressure off the British army and therefore less severely wounded soldiers in Britain.

A few Irish soldiers coming home in body bags might educate a few people AMD stop some of the self righteous bull****.

Very few Irish nationalists in Britain and yet I see a politicised symbol so it must be something else

Do you? Do you see lizard people as well?

• Advertisement

Do you? Do you see lizard people as well?

You are right, I now see the light! The lizard people are on this thread

the poppy is a fundraising exercise its not soley about remembering the fallen from ww1. its raises money for ba vets that have servedin every imperialist deed of the empire. you are basically supporting the brit war machine. if you wear a poppy you support the ba's actions in ireland,iraq,afghansitan etc............

And the military who's phone number is the first speed dial number on the Irish defence minister's mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

And the military who's phone number is the first speed dial number on the Irish defence minister's mobile.

...the mask is slipped, it appears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

The British participation in the cirrent Afghan war is no different to the Irish presence in Chad.

In fact, the Afghan war is being carried out with the support of the Irish, except of course the Irish army is woefully underfunded and therefore cant play a useful role. If they could, it would take some pressure off the British army and therefore less severely wounded soldiers in Britain.

A few Irish soldiers coming home in body bags might educate a few people AMD stop some of the self righteous bull****.
    You want Irish people coming hiome in body bags... stay classy.

As it is your army has sent plenty of Irish back to their homes in coffins

Nodin wrote: »

...the mask is slipped, it appears.

Still trying to judge me Nodin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I am not claiming you are politicising it, I am saying the red poppy is a politicised symbol... there is a difference.

You failed to answer the question about the white poppy, would you wear one?

I don't see any point to wear the white one. The red one isn't "politicised". It has it's origins in John McCrae's poem In Flanders Fields. I simply remember the dead at war on November 11th and around this time. I use it as an opportunity to think about war and the devastating affects that it might have.

I've worn the poppy on occasion in Ireland prior to moving here.

I really don't mind giving a little to support ex-servicemen. That in and of itself doesn't mean that I applaud every war that the British Army have participated or fought in contrary to the popular armchair-republican position we're getting on this thread. There's no logical relation between wearing a poppy and automatically agreeing with every single conflict, or war that the British Army has fought in.

By the by, technically I'm funding the British war machine every time I pay tax. I guess to be really consistent I should just leave here? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

You are right, I now see the light! The lizard people are on this thread

Dub in Glasgow, good job you can see Lizard people. If it were not for the good UK armed forces who you denigrate, it is safe to assume Glasgow would be a very different - and worse - place under German or Russian rule.
    Many a good and decent person in the UK armed forces, inc some of the hundreds of thousands of Irish who volunteered, has given their tomorrows so that places like Glasgow today as as good as they are. You would do well to understand that.

GRMA wrote: »
    You want Irish people coming hiome in body bags... stay classy.

As it is your army has sent plenty of Irish back to their homes in coffins

The Irish government voted in favour of the Afghanistan action. Looks to me as though they are partly to blame for every isaf death over there, yet they don't want to send their own army in any meaningful numbers.

Sound fair to you?

I don't see any point to wear the white one

So that is a no then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The Irish government voted in favour of the Afghanistan action.

That was 2001. NATO has been making a balls of it since. Would you be one of the 4% of British people who strongly approve of British involvement in Afghanistan?
    Against a backdrop of headlines communicating the problems and costs of the conflict, the BES supplement asked a representative sample of respondents the simple question: 'Do you strongly approve, approve, disapprove, or strongly disapprove of Britain’s involvement in the War in Afghanistan?'

The results were decidedly negative: only 4 per cent of the over 20,000 respondents strongly endorsed British participation and another 18 per cent simply approved. In contrast, nearly one-third (30 per cent) disapproved of Britain's contribution to the military operation and more than one-in-five (21 per cent) strongly disapproved. Approximately one quarter (27 per cent) reported that they 'didn't know' whether they approved or disapproved.

http://www.idcr.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/03_11.pdf

It's really quite pathetic how you're trying foist responsibility onto the Irish for British Soldiers coming home from Afghanistan in body bags.

Advertisement