Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sillydog10

highonlife wrote: »
    Anyone up for an aul predicion of points? I'm thinking:

NUIG:728
    RCSI:730
    UCC:731
    UCD: 737
    Trinity:739
    NUIG=724
    RCSI=725
    UCC=727
    UCD=735
    Trinity=737

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

Taco Chips wrote: »
    There are no courses in my experience that you can transfer into medicine from. If you want to enter undergraduate medicine you will need to sit the HPAT in the year you are applying and score enough with your LC to meet the entry requirements for that year. There are no workarounds or course to course transfers I'm afraid. The only exception is in the case of fully qualified dentists that gain advanced entry into third year in some cases, and that is generally for those aiming to be oral/maxillofacial surgeons. I know there are stories that go around every year of people who did a year of science and then changed to medicine but all of those examples are with people who repeated the HPAT while they were in college and scored enough on their resit to get the points.

thanks for your help if i do a year of another course and transfer after repeating hpat i have to pay one year of fees only right?
    thanks again!

multimate wrote: »
    thanks for your help if i do a year of another course and transfer after repeating hpat i have to pay one year of fees only right?
    thanks again!
    Yeah, you only have to pay the first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TheKitchenSink

Could anyone tell me what the total number of places in medicine courses in Ireland is? Or does that change from year to year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 highonlife

sillydog10 wrote: »
    NUIG=724
    RCSI=725
    UCC=727
    UCD=735
    Trinity=737

I'd say the 16 point drop for RCSI is a bit optimistic tbh. And I don't really see UCC and NUIG dropping a whopping 15 points (don't get me wrong though, I would absolutely LOVE if it did).

• Advertisement

I'd say the 16 point drop for RCSI is a bit optimistic tbh. And I don't really see UCC and NUIG dropping a whopping 15 points (don't get me wrong though, I would absolutely LOVE if it did).
    Points has nothing to do with it, if the percentiles gave the same hpat scores from last year this would be a different story but the fact that 90th last year was 194 and it this year being 179/180 completely justifies the points drop. People have also required pretty much the same hpat percentile every year to get med and that to me logically isn't going to change because the scores are different.

Points has nothing to do with it, if the percentiles gave the same hpat scores from last year this would be a different story but the fact that 90th last year was 194 and it this year being 179/180 completely justifies the points drop. People have also required pretty much the same hpat percentile every year to get med and that to me logically isn't going to change because the scores are different.

Like I'm honestly hoping I'm wrong and you're right man! But yeah, I know what you're saying, just don't want to get my hopes up and all.. :L

Like I'm honestly hoping I'm wrong and you're right man! But yeah, I know what you're saying, just don't want to get my hopes up and all.. :L
    Yeah I get what you mean but let's be realistic here. I have 730 (551+179), 179 being 90th. I went through the last 4 years of HPAT finding out what the 90th was in each relevant year, then figured out what hpat score I needed in each relevant year to get UCC med and every single year I had it by at least 3 points, by that I mean 3 points above the minimum score (2010 by 4, 2011 by 6(that was the year before they added in extra points for maths wasn't it?), 2012 by 3 and 2013 by 3). I'm ridiculously nervous about it as well tbh but being realistic I should get it. Another thing to note is the fact that 500 less people or something on the lines of that sat hpat, meaning less people got above 80 which could translate to a further point or two drop, who knows. To be fair I am very biased in this but the facts do speak for themselves.
    EDIT: If it comes off like I'm being cocky about it, I really am not. I'm soo nervous about it, which is why I've been spending all my free time on boards instead of doing something proactive :L

Yeah I get what you mean but let's be realistic here. I have 730 (551+179), 179 being 90th. I went through the last 4 years of HPAT finding out what the 90th was in each relevant year, then figured out what hpat score I needed in each relevant year to get UCC med and every single year I had it by at least 3 points, by that I mean 3 points above the minimum score (2010 by 4, 2011 by 6(that was the year before they added in extra points for maths wasn't it?), 2012 by 3 and 2013 by 3). I'm ridiculously nervous about it as well tbh but being realistic I should get it. Another thing to note is the fact that 500 less people or something on the lines of that sat hpat, meaning less people got above 80 which could translate to a further point or two drop, who knows. To be fair I am very biased in this but the facts do speak for themselves.
    EDIT: If it comes off like I'm being cocky about it, I really am not. I'm soo nervous about it, which is why I've been spending all my free time on boards instead of doing something proactive :L

Hahaha just showed this to my mam. Put her in a good mood for the rest of the evening. Noiceeee

• Registered Users Posts: 2 immrbrightside

wildmmman wrote: »
    Anyone know what points 80th percentile was last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cian casey

I've trinners down first (which could be achievable) and I'm trying to very quickly decide on what I should put 2nd on the CAO.

Bearing in mind I'm around 2,100 on the accommodation list for UCD, what's the pros and cons with UCC and UCD and student life (accommodation, nights out etc.) in Cork v Dub.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Taco Chips wrote: »
    There is no 'transfer' specifically. You have to reapply to the CAO and do the HPAT again so you are counted as a normal applicant with the rest of the LC candidates. The college course you do has no impact whatsoever. For all intents you are treated the same as someone who did the LC.

Bar the fact you can speak premed if it's offered in any college.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

woopah92 wrote: »
    Bar the fact you can speak premed if it's offered in any college.

Well that also depends on a case by case basis and each colleges policy on premed. So theres no guarantee of skipping premed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

cian casey wrote: »
    I've trinners down first ...
    Just a quick word of advice in passing: don't get into the habit of calling it that, unless you want to be branded as a particular type of Trinity student (including by other Trinity students!) ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Anyone up for an aul predicion of points? I'm thinking:

NUIG:728
    RCSI:730
    UCC:731
    UCD: 737
    Trinity:739

I hope you're right! I'd love to end up in Dublin even if it's RCSI.

I'm thinking.

NUIG:729
    RCSI:731
    UCC:732
    UCD:735
    Trinity: 750, just because it's Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jjC123

Just a quick word of advice in passing: don't get into the habit of calling it that, unless you want to be branded as a particular type of Trinity student (including by other Trinity students!) ;):D

Yeah, as a Trinity student (former? Trinity student if points go my way), please don't call it trinners unless extremely, horrifically inebriated

jjC123 wrote: »
    Yeah, as a Trinity student (former? Trinity student if points go my way), please don't call it trinners unless extremely, horrifically inebriated

Haha it's too late to edit it now. I'm from the styx so it's kind of self deprecating, used jokingly

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'm from the styx ...
    Wait, you're a denizen of the Underworld?! :eek:

:pac:
    .. so it's kind of self deprecating, used jokingly
    Ach, I understand, it was meant more as a heads-up that it can give a certain impression of you that you mightn't even be aware of. ;)

I hope you're right! I'd love to end up in Dublin even if it's RCSI.

I'm thinking.

NUIG:729
    RCSI:731
    UCC:732
    UCD:735

Isn't UCD practically 2/3 points behind Trinity every year? How will it go from 2/3 points to 15 points?

With a 600 points you'd need 190, which is like 95th? Hmmm.. :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 emma35

Hey guys! So I got 74th percentile, which I know isnt enough, but I knew I would probably have to repeat to get med anyway as I messed up some exams in June! I am just unsure if theres any point repeating now; I dont want to go through another year of Leaving Cert if my hpat isnt going to improve. Did many of the people who repeated find that their percentiles were pretty much the same, and is it possible to improve much? If I managed to get 600+ points in the leaving the second time, would the 75th-80th percentile get me in in NUIG?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mcrust

Any prospective med students who are thinking of taking out a loan I would advise checking out AIB. I was fairly strapped for cash myself last year and in the UCD branch they were excellent and basically provided me with a 0% interest loan of €10K for five years just because I was doing medicine. After the five years a small amount of interest is incurred but I hope to have it paid back by then. Wouldn't have been able to pay my accommodation (which is ridiculously expensive in Dublin) without that loan.

emma35 wrote: »
    Hey guys! So I got 74th percentile, which I know isnt enough, but I knew I would probably have to repeat to get med anyway as I messed up some exams in June! I am just unsure if theres any point repeating now; I dont want to go through another year of Leaving Cert if my hpat isnt going to improve. Did many of the people who repeated find that their percentiles were pretty much the same, and is it possible to improve much? If I managed to get 600+ points in the leaving the second time, would the 75th-80th percentile get me in in NUIG?

I went from 52nd to 97th percentile (repeated the lc too), so there is hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 emma35

I went from 52nd to 97th percentile (repeated the lc too), so there is hope :)

That's amazing. Fair play! Well deserved after the extra year! :L As a matter of interest, did you do a course both times? Or just for the second time?

I went from 55th to 90th this year so improving isn't too hard, I haven't heard of too many people going down second time round. It's crazy how much you being nervous on the day and what the exam atmosphere is like can factor into this exam.

Same here, went from 60th to 90th percentile! Not surprised I improved second time round, wasn't at all nervous for the exam this year. But in saying that, I do know a few people who went down from last year (one in particular who went from the 65th to 40th percentile), so don't think that everyone who repeats the HPAT improves. It's pretty much a game of luck imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

I went from 70th to 95th with a repeat - courses both times but definitely took the revision more seriously on the second attempt!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,154 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mod note:
    A number of posters posting in this thread about great improvements in HPAT scores are all coming from the one IP.

Please be very wary of believing everything in this thread, particularly anything extolling the virues of a revision course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

Please note - I am not that IP!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,154 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please note - I am not that IP!

sleepyheadh not one of them. They are from further back. If I see them again touting the marvellous revision courses they will be banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement