Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Newgirlmc

Taco Chips wrote: »
    I'v never heard of a score that high, would be pretty unbelievable tbh and I'm sure a bigger deal would have been made of it.

A friend of mine at the ******** course said they had a hpat result of 276 with one of their past students... But I can't say this is true for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Newgirlmc wrote: »
    A friend of mine at the ******** course said they had a hpat result of 276 with one of their past students... But I can't say this is true for sure.

ME have time and time again proven they have no scruples in promoting their product. A little lie like that to make a few more grand? I wouldn't be surprised.

A shame really, it should advertise itself on its (rather good) merits alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BilalRa

sillydog10 wrote: »
    So your total is 731? Realistically (by that I mean unless something insane happens on offers day) you have Galway and UCC. Just scale back the percentile you have to what you would have gotten with the same percentile last year and you'll see.
    woopah92 wrote: »
    I'm borderline for Galway, but I'm not even sure I want to do med anymore. Realistic chance of getting in with a 82nd percentile HPAT and 595 in the LC (did it last year)?

Exactly, this is me too. 172 in HPAT and 595 for my A-Levels>>scaled to 559. That's 731 overall. Seeing as how there's been an average decrease of about 14 points in the HPAT this year compared with last year, e.g 90th percentile in 2013 was 194 while this year its dropped to 180, a cao score of 731 should in theory be good enough for NUIG, UCC and even RCSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Whatever about 276 (It sounds familiar but does sound a bit unrealistic), I'm pretty sure that 222 wasn't the highest score last year either!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭back to back

Slow Show wrote: »
    Whatever about 276 (It sounds familiar but does sound a bit unrealistic), I'm pretty sure that 222 wasn't the highest score last year either!

apologies. what i should have stated is" top percentile" was x , (not maximum), so in theory another 25 or 30 students could have higher scores . i suppose the research group would only be interested in percentiles in order to make recommendations.
    yes .there are articles every so often over the hpat controvery in the irish medical journal over the last one to two years. I think the last one was by prof.fidelma dunne in ucg. there was another good one "entry to medical school. what's happening? " but I can't remember by who?
    if I can track it down .i'll pass it on.
    there is some interesting information in there e.g.
    in 2010.80%of repeat hpat improved on 2nd attempt .a third improved >10%
    in 2011 80% " " 36% " >10%

in 2010. 17% of successful candidates were repeats
    in 2011, 16% " " " " "
    in 2013 34% " " " " "

maximun hpat score in 2010 was 223
    " " " 2011 was 242
    " " " 2012 was 238
    " "" " 2013 was 222
    " " " 2014 was 217

sorry .this should have read ;
    2010-17% of repeat candidates were successful
    2011-16% " " " "
    2012-34% " " " "
    i just made short-hand notes when i was reading these articles . at the time.posting them on boards was not on my mind !

i'll have to get out more !!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 TheKitchenSink

im only regurgitating the information i read in varies articles in irish medical journal. also research done by dr. martina hennessey tcd and dr. tony fitzgerald ucd or ucg (not sure which?) these docs were part of expert group given responsibility to make recommendations by higher education authority on changes to hpat .it is them that issued the reports in november 2012 and again in november 2013 .they will decide the fate of the hpat in nov 2014
    there is a another name but i cant remember her name she is prof. in cork.her papers were full of information .as soon as i track her down .i'll pass it on.

I know a guy that got 261 last year and I'm pretty sure he was told that it was the highest score ever in ireland. His result was the one shown at the ME course cause I remember the guy giving the course mentioning that it was a boy from kerry

I know a guy that got 261 last year and I'm pretty sure he was told that it was the highest score ever in ireland. His result was the one shown at the ME course cause I remember the guy giving the course mentioning that it was a boy from kerry

That must be it, I must have remembered the number wrong, but I knew it was very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TheKitchenSink

That must be it, I must have remembered the number wrong, but I knew it was very high.
    I know it's frighteningly high. He got 625 as well of course.

I know it's frighteningly high. He got 625 as well of course.

Wow...

826... :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

826... :O

And I bet ya he was sh1t craic!

• Advertisement

I think Galway will realistically be 725/724 on random selection.

i agree the biggest factor in predicting is the 14 point hpat decrease but there is also the change in" required lc score" each year.

if you average the 5 colleges," the required cao points" changed by ;
    2010 +6
    2011 +9.5
    2012 +7.5
    2013 +2
    then if you remove the variable of hpat and hons maths,the "REQUIRED LC SCORE"changed by;
    2010 +6
    2011 +1.5
    2012 +2.5
    2013 minus 4

another factor is that a percentile this year is 26 students.whereas in 2012 a percentile was 30 students

another factor is the no. of places.
    in 2009-429
    in 2010-434
    in 2011-472
    in 2013-472
    in 2014-483(i assume the extra places this year is due to the cancellation of the contract of the
    malaysia students in ucg)

another small factor is that the 14 point decrease is not uniform.
    there is a 15 point drop between 88%-90%
    " " 13point drop "84%-86%
    " " 14 " " 80-83%and 91-94%
    this may seem small but remember one and half percentiles fills all the places in rcsi.

in terms of individual colleges varying from the average, the variation in "required lc score for each college deviated by;
    2010 4
    2011 1.5
    2012 2.5
    2013 2

this should influence ones optimistic versus pessimistic prediction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

then if you remove the variable of hpat and hons maths,the "REQUIRED LC SCORE"changed by;
    2010 +6
    2011 +1.5
    2012 +2.5
    2013 minus 4

Sorry to be pedantic, but what is the source of those figures?

another factor is that a percentile this year is 26%.whereas in 2012 a percentile was 30%

What do you mean by that?

take last year .for example.the hpat score went up 6 comparing similiar percentiles.but the cao points requirment only rose by 2.hence the "REQUIRED LC SCORE" went down 4
    use the same reasoning for the other years

sorry .i typed it incorrectly.now corrected .apologies

sorry .i typed it incorrectly.now corrected .apologies

Don't worry. Thanks for that. Any chance, though, that you could give the source of your stats. For instance, the non-uniformity of Hpat score reduction and the Points trend when BPs and Hpat score have been removed?

Don't worry. Thanks for that. Any chance, though, that you could give the source of your stats. For instance, the non-uniformity of Hpat score reduction and the Points trend when BPs and Hpat score have been removed?

i got this year hpat scores as the various percentiles were posted here on boards since late june
    all i had to do then was to compare to last years boards posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

And I bet ya he was sh1t craic!

He's actually great craic :P

i got this year hpat scores as the various percentiles were posted here on boards since late june
    all i had to do then was to compare to last years boards posting.

Thanks. And the LC scores when Hpat and BPs ignored?

just a follow up to my post no.1172. i tracked down her name eventually.
    the name of the professor is SIUN O'FLYNN. she is head of medical education in ucc.she is education advisor to the medical council.
    she is the head of the national research group who advises on medical admission requirments and as such changed the hpat rules this year.
    she will make her recommendation on the fate of the hpat in november this year.

her analysis and research of the hpat is presented in papers in nov 2012,2013
    Thanks. And the LC scores when Hpat and BPs ignored?

for example.2012. average cao points rose 7.5 points but 5 of these were hons maths.
    after 2012 the hons maths variable does'nt matter

for example.2012. average cao points rose 7.5 points but 5 of these were hons maths.
    after 2012 the hons maths variable does'nt matter

But, how do you know that five of those are attributable to Higher Maths? And why doesn't it matter after 2012?

But, how do you know that five of those are attributable to Higher Maths? And why doesn't it matter after 2012?

because the influence of hons maths is the same for 2012,2013,2014 regardless of what influence it had in 2012

• Advertisement

because the influence of hons maths is the same for 2012,2013,2014 regardless of what influence it had in 2012

Why? The uptake has increased each year. And how did you know that five of the 7.5 increase was attributable to Higher Maths?

Why? The uptake has increased each year. And how did you know that five of the 7.5 increase was attributable to Higher Maths?

the uptake of hons maths has increased .but it is the results that matter.

before the hpat the cao requirment for medicine was;
    2008 - 565(ucg ,rcsi) and 570(ucc)
    well above 550

the uptake of hons maths has increased .but it is the results that matter.

before the hpat the cao requirment for medicine was;
    2008 - 565(ucg ,rcsi) and 570(ucc) well above 550

I don't understand that. And I don't know how you've inferred what the points increase is when Bonus Points excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sillydog10

i agree the biggest factor in predicting is the 14 point hpat decrease but there is also the change in" required lc score" each year.

2010 +6
    2011 +9.5
    2012 +7.5
    2013 +2
    2010 +6
    2011 +1.5
    2012 +2.5
    2013 minus 4

another factor is that a percentile this year is 26 students.whereas in 2012 a percentile was 30 students

in 2009-429
    in 2010-434
    in 2011-472
    in 2013-472
    in 2014-483(i assume the extra places this year is due to the cancellation of the contract of the

this may seem small but remember one and half percentiles fills all the places in rcsi.

in terms of individual colleges varying from the average, the variation in "required lc score for each college deviated by;
    2010 4
    2011 1.5
    2012 2.5
    2013 2

My head hurts...

Also, it's the final week now lads before the cao decides our fates. Good luck to everyone, especially to the lads getting results on Wednesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 itsmawadii

2010 +6
    2011 +9.5
    2012 +7.5
    2013 +2
    2010 +6
    2011 +1.5
    2012 +2.5
    2013 minus 4

in 2009-429
    in 2010-434
    in 2011-472
    in 2013-472

2010 4
    2011 1.5
    2012 2.5
    2013 2

...so you're thinking the points are going to go down by...?
    Also, it's the final week now lads before the cao decides our fates. Good luck to everyone, especially to the lads getting results on Wednesday!

Yeah can't believe it's a week from today..!

e.g. last year 2012. the hpat score increased by 6, but the required cao score only increased by 2.
    hence the "REQUIRED LC SCORE " decreased by minus 4.
    you can use the same reasoning for the other years.
    itsmawadii wrote: »
    ...so you're thinking the points are going to go down by...?

its difficult to predict .until we predict the "REQUIRED LC SCOREj" after wedensday morning.
    you could quess .within the deviation of the 5 college variation as i suggested on yesterdays post

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sillydog10

its difficult to predict .until we predict the "REQUIRED LC SCOREj" after wedensday morning.
    you could quess .within the deviation of the 5 college variation as i suggested on yesterdays post

I'm sorry bit of a silly question but could you explain what required LC means to muggle like me?

e.g. last year 2012. the hpat score increased by 6, but the required cao score only increased by 2.
    hence the "REQUIRED LC SCORE " decreased by minus 4.
    you can use the same reasoning for the other years.

I presume you calculated the Hpat score "increase" on figures that you got from last year's Hpat thread. I venture that that database is not deatiled or reliable enough for such analysis.

Thanks for response.

I presume you calculated the Hpat score "increase" on figures that you got from last year's Hpat thread. I venture that that database is not deatiled or reliable enough for such analysis.

Thanks for response.

i got one score for each percentile from 2013 threads.

yes i agree it is incorrect if the majority posted in false scores
    ,but if it was only the occasional false score ,it would not affect the overall interpretation

im assuming the majority of posts are not false, in the same way i'm trusting my figures from the research groups e.g prof. o'flynn are bone fide.
    I'm sorry bit of a silly question but could you explain what required LC means to muggle like me?
    "REQUIRED LC SCORE" is the term
    i was hoping the example given in thread 1205 would make thread 1187 clearer.
    obviously i better not go for a career in teaching ,if i do not get medicine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cian casey

I am now more confused than ever :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement