Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

A quick search only returned an Indo article that implied that the top score was 217, along with the Careers Portal article I mentioned that explicitly states it.

It's clearly mediocre journalism, but Hpat needs to take blame as well for publishing such lousy data analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Nocofee wrote: »
    Can you repeat the leaving cert and do medicine in the uk based on new results, granted you take the various aptitude tests?

Nope uk med schools are totally against repeats, it sucks.
    Thank chrisht it's not the same here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

@Nocfree: in appreciation of your having thanked one of my posts... :D

I presume there were no exceptional reasons for your needing to repeat - illness, etc - in which case they would still consider you.

TheStudentRoom is an amazing forum. I can't link, but there is a page called Medical School Resit Policies. As can be seen, some unis do accept repeaters, but usually require higher grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cian casey

medentr* admin were saying on one of their forums today that they expect points to drop by around 10

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sillydog10

cian casey wrote: »
    medentr* admin were saying on one of their forums today that they expect points to drop by around 10
    I'd say that's worst case scenario, it doesn't make any sense for it to drop any less than 12 points unless a significant amount of seats in all the Med schools have magically disappeared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 a1995

sillydog10 wrote: »
    I'd say that's worst case scenario, it doesn't make any sense for it to drop any less than 12 points unless a significant amount of seats in all the Med schools have magically disappeared.

I really hope you are right!! I have 729 points, so hopefully NUIG will go down from 740 to at least 728!

a1995 wrote: »
    I really hope you are right!! I have 729 points, so hopefully NUIG will go down from 740 to at least 728!
    I've been saying this so many times (trying to convince my nervous self as well as others tbh) that there's just no way it'll not fall more than 12 points because nobody with a 560 LC has ever needed more than a 87/88 percentile to get into UCC or NUIG and that's not going to change because the points have fallen. Just go through every single year and you'll see that the points for medicine have been going up pretty much because the percentiles have been going up (I could be over simplifying here, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Like if you think about it logically, the number of people who get 80+ in the HPAT is always dependent on the number of people who sit HPAT (which incidentally this year is lower than previous years aka LESS people getting 80+ in the HPAT), so how could the points not fall any less than 13 or 14 because all HPAT results are in relation to what other people got as opposed to a raw score? I personally think that to gauge your chances, see what percentile you needed in previous years to get it (that is if you already have your LC points) and that'll give you a definitive answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 itsmawadii

sillydog10 wrote: »
    I've been saying this so many times (trying to convince my nervous self as well as others tbh) that there's just no way it'll not fall more than 12 points because nobody with a 560 LC has ever needed more than a 87/88 percentile to get into UCC or NUIG and that's not going to change because the points have fallen. Just go through every single year and you'll see that the points for medicine have been going up pretty much because the percentiles have been going up (I could be over simplifying here, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Like if you think about it logically, the number of people who get 80+ in the HPAT is always dependent on the number of people who sit HPAT (which incidentally this year is lower than previous years aka LESS people getting 80+ in the HPAT), so how could the points not fall any less than 13 or 14 because all HPAT results are in relation to what other people got as opposed to a raw score? I personally think that to gauge your chances, see what percentile you needed in previous years to get it (that is if you already have your LC points) and that'll give you a definitive answer.

Yeah, I agree with you 100%. Like I'm on the 90th percentile and last year that was 194, giving me a total of 745. This year it's 180, giving me 731. 731 seems really low (was fairly devo at the start), but now I realise its worth the same as 745 did last year, thus getting me a place in UCC or NUIG.

I'm thinking 731 for UCC and 729 for NUIG (please God) :L

itsmawadii wrote: »
    I'm thinking 731 for UCC and 729 for NUIG (please God) :L
    I personally think it'll be 728 for UCC, a 90th percentile (which is 179/180) with 560 has always been able to comfortably get UCC

itsmawadii wrote: »
    People keep saying it's all about the HPAT percentiles, but the rising LC points also drive up overall entry points. Every year, because the overall CAO entry points have risen, the need to achieve 600 points or greater has risen. So more and more people are aiming for and achieving 600+ LC points. This trend is unlikely to change. More people will be getting nearer 600 LC points this year than the previous year, as has happened every year.
    What you're forgetting to consider here is that the LC is based on a bell curve as well as candidate performance and as the other guy pointed out, people going for Med have to and always have been aiming to get the max points possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 NImed

In that case, my sincere apologies. Can you confirm that it was this year?

I and, I imagine, others were guided by a Careers Portal article which gave that score as the maximum.

@NImed: allow me to extend my apologies to you, as well :)

Haha bit lousy, but I did get 230 peeps most be looking at that graph by hpat, it's grand bud

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wildmmman

Just wondering if anyone was willing to share what percentile they got with their score? I got 170 and was 80th percentile.. Tried reading the graph but it's badly labelled. Trying to figure out if I'll make it with 600 in the LC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sunnydee

As far as I know, from boards and a few friends, these are some random percentiles for 2014:

71st: 164
    80th: 170
    83rd: 173
    86th: 176
    89th: 178
    90th: 179/180
    91st: 181
    93rd: 183/184
    95th: 187
    96th: 191

Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 starlight1231

Hi everyone!
    First of all- respect for every single one of you!!
    I know this must be a crazy time for you, having got your results and everything but I would be so grateful if someone could take a little time to read my question!
    I am from Germany and I'm planning to study medicine in Ireland since the german universities are ... well let's say not the greatest out there:D
    I'd have to sit the hpat in 2016 and I know that it's only possible to sit it in Ireland so I'll have to fly over.
    Now I read all of your posts here and when I read, how many of you attended preparation courses and so on I kinda lost hope.
    Here in Germany NOBODY knows the hpat and there is absolutely no possibility to prepare for it so I really don't think I'll have a chance considering how well prepared everyone is going to be compared to me:/
    Is there anybody here who isn't from Ireland and sat the hpat?
    Or can anyone of you maybe give me some advice on how I could .. kinda 'keep up' with all the others?
    Again I have so much respect for you all and eventhough I know this isn't realistic, you all deserve an offer:)!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 egg head

sunnydee wrote: »
    As far as I know, from boards and a few friends, these are some random percentiles for 2014:

71st: 164
    80th: 170
    83rd: 173
    86th: 176
    89th: 178
    90th: 179/180
    91st: 181
    93rd: 183/184
    95th: 187
    96th: 191

48th: 150

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Now I read all of your posts here and when I read, how many of you attended preparation courses and so on I kinda lost hope.
    Here in Germany NOBODY knows the hpat and there is absolutely no possibility to prepare for it so I really don't think I'll have a chance considering how well prepared everyone is going to be compared to me:/
    Or can anyone of you maybe give me some advice on how I could .. kinda 'keep up' with all the others?
    Again I have so much respect for you all and eventhough I know this isn't realistic, you all deserve an offer:)!

You don't have to attend the prep course - I did it all online. It's the online practising of the tests and reading through the tips that really matters, not the day course, in my opinion. Still very expensive though for Mĕdentry, even if you dont pay for the day course.

Good luck! But do apply for German universities too, don't bank on Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Hi everyone!
    First of all- respect for every single one of you!!
    I know this must be a crazy time for you, having got your results and everything but I would be so grateful if someone could take a little time to read my question!
    I am from Germany and I'm planning to study medicine in Ireland since the german universities are ... well let's say not the greatest out there:D
    I'd have to sit the hpat in 2016 and I know that it's only possible to sit it in Ireland so I'll have to fly over.

Go to hpat online . Create an account and buy the practice material . All you need really, as they are the only official ones .
    Med entr* have a free practice test somewhere aswell if I remember correctly.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Go to hpat online . Create an account and buy the practice material . All you need really, as they are the only official ones .
    Eh, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. The practice material is just way too easy, it's like a pass version of the exam. There's more than a few options to choose from so it doesn't have to be the oh so controversial Med entry but you're going into the exam with a hand tied behind your back if the only practice material are those that hpat supply. It's a shame really, all they'd have to do is just put up decent practice papers/some guides to different styles of questions and they'd do a real number on the demand for all the courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 starlight1231

EoghanIRL wrote: »

Thank you very much!
    So you didn't attend any preparation course then?
    And while taking the exam did you feel that the practice material was way easier than the actual hpat? Or did you feel well prepared?
    You don't have to attend the prep course - I did it all online. It's the online practising of the tests and reading through the tips that really matters, not the day course, in my opinion. Still very expensive though for Mĕdentry, even if you dont pay for the day course.

Good luck! But do apply for German universities too, don't bank on Ireland.

Thank you very much as well!
    And again, did you feel prepared enough when you took the actual hpat?
    Yes of course I won't back on Ireland.
    Just want to quickly say:
    in Germany to get a spot you need to have 1,0 in the equivalent to the LC which is 625 points and the German LC has much higher requirements than the irish one and you need to do chemistry biology physics and maths, 3 of those higher level and only if you do that and get 625 you are 'eligible' to sit the equivalent to the hpat!
    That would be possible but my weakness is physics I wont score higher than 85% there which sadly won't be good enough
    So I actually see bigger chances in Ireland:/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Ka_yl_ei_gh

egg head wrote: »
    48th: 150

97th : 193 :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

So I actually see bigger chances in Ireland:/

Make sure to check out entitlements regarding fees etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Thank you very much as well!
    And again, did you feel prepared enough when you took the actual hpat?
    Yes of course I won't back on Ireland.

Yes, I felt very prepared, and I got a result far better than I deserved.
    97th : 193 :P

Ah now Kayleigh :pac:

Anyone know what points 80th percentile was last year?

Ah now Kayleigh :pac:

What? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

what courses are good if you want to transfer to medicine after 1st year? like a science dentist course etc....
    what colleges allow you to do this?
    is it likley to get a transfer place?
    or would i just be better taking a gap year to austrailia and resit the hpat?
    also ive read that uk universities dont like repeats if i dont repeat my leaving cert but repeat the hpat or do the ukcat for the first time during a gap year do they count it as a repeat since i never have done the ukcat
    any help would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

multimate wrote: »
    what courses are good if you want to transfer to medicine after 1st year? like a science dentist course etc....
    also ive read that uk universities dont like repeats if i dont repeat my leaving cert but repeat the hpat or do the ukcat for the first time during a gap year do they count it as a repeat since i never have done the ukcat

There are no courses in my experience that you can transfer into medicine from. If you want to enter undergraduate medicine you will need to sit the HPAT in the year you are applying and score enough with your LC to meet the entry requirements for that year. There are no workarounds or course to course transfers I'm afraid. The only exception is in the case of fully qualified dentists that gain advanced entry into third year in some cases, and that is generally for those aiming to be oral/maxillofacial surgeons. I know there are stories that go around every year of people who did a year of science and then changed to medicine but all of those examples are with people who repeated the HPAT while they were in college and scored enough on their resit to get the points.

multimate wrote: »

I know a girl, she did one year of biomedical science, repeated the HPAT and then transferred into medicine.

She had gotten enough points for medicine, but the HPAT let her down.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

I know a girl, she did one year of biomedical science, repeated the HPAT and then transferred into medicine.

She had gotten enough points for medicine, but the HPAT let her down.

There is no 'transfer' specifically. You have to reapply to the CAO and do the HPAT again so you are counted as a normal applicant with the rest of the LC candidates. The college course you do has no impact whatsoever. For all intents you are treated the same as someone who did the LC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 highonlife

Anyone up for an aul predicion of points? I'm thinking:

NUIG:728
    RCSI:730
    UCC:731
    UCD: 737
    Trinity:739

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement