Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sal18c3

At this stage there's not a lot anyone can do. I'm on 73rd percentile so it's a little upsetting to be reading people in the 90th percentile talking about 'their chances'. Speculating points isn't going to do anything. Just hope for the best LC points you can achieve and see how it goes then.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 egg head

DID many from last year get into medicine with low HPAT score & ,great leaving cert via HEAR Scheme? If yes what did you score in HPAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AC95

Clearly nobody explained how points are allocated to courses to you guys! A rep from ucc admin came to us to explain it so I feel I have it right but correct me if I'm wrong. They don't just decide the points and then see who fits in. Say a course (eg medicine) has 60 places and 100 applicants, they put the applicants in order of their points then they cut it off at the 60th person. The points achieved by this person is then the allocated minimum entry for the course. So clearly if everyone's results go down in general, the points will go down.. So yes, they do need to fill every available place because there is simply no way not to and no they can't only accept over 748 (random example number) because 400+ applicants will not achieve this.

tl;dr The entry points reflect the points of the applicants and are not just set based on what sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

sunnydee wrote: »

As for the 2500 people that sat the HPAT, I have no idea where that came from. It was probably seen in a recent newspaper article. So tbh, I don't know how accurate that is. Do ACER even release info like that?

Hpat's twitter account said si on monday, in a reply tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FunTimess

Does anybody know how the DARE scheme works in relation to medicine? Does it apply to overall combined points or only leaving cert?As medicine is such a competitive course anyway are there reduced points places available? If so how many points lower would you get in with, i'd imagine it would only be if you were 1 or 2 points short, if even. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 saadsharif206

Anyone have any idea how many people took the hpat this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sillydog10

Anyone have any idea how many people took the hpat this year?
    If you read the posts on the last few pages you'll see what ideas people have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sunnydee

sal18c3 wrote: »
    I'm on 73rd percentile so it's a little upsetting to be reading people in the 90th percentile talking about 'their chances'. Speculating points isn't going to do anything.

You can't assume that everyone on the 90th percentile will get in. No one can possibly know what the entry points are going to be. So why should they not be able to discuss 'their chances' like everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

sunnydee wrote: »
    You can't assume that everyone on the 90th percentile will get in. No one can possibly know what the entry points are going to be. So why should they not be able to discuss 'their chances' like everyone else?

In fairness everyone who is on the 90th percentile with a Leaving Cert in line with the norms (540+) will certainly get a place somewhere. So of course its a bit galling for other people who are genuinely more on the periphery.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sal18c3

Taco Chips wrote: »
    In fairness everyone who is on the 90th percentile with a Leaving Cert in line with the norms (540+) will certainly get a place somewhere. So of course its a bit galling for other people who are genuinely more on the periphery.

Of course it's not a given however if you are in the higher hpat bracket then your chances are very high assuming you achieve a minimum of 500 approx LC points. Just stating an opinion that it is a little discouraging to see that these people are concerned when there are others who are going to miss out by just a few poi ts

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ah here now ... !

This matters a lot to people, and the reality is that many will continue to stress until the offer is actually staring them in the face on the screen (and then probably shout at someone else to come look in case their eyes are at fault! :rolleyes:).

And I can also understand why people who are disappointed with their HPAT result and feel their chances are poor would find that frustrating, but the reality is that it's human nature.

So how about people on one side try to show a little sensitivity, and people on the other try to show a little patience and tolerance? ;)

Isn't empathy / understanding something they look for in medabees (and the HPAT is actually *supposed* to test for, right?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Isn't empathy / understanding something they look for in medabees (and the HPAT is actually *supposed* to test for, right?!)

Indeed Randy! But if I'm honest, I struggle to believe that a lot of the 90th+ percentiles really are particularly confused about their chances. If one can get 60+/100 in section 1, I'd imagine one can deduce the fact that once you have over 560 (or as little as say, 535 for some of us if not less), then you'll probably get it.

Perhaps instead of posting they could empathise all the people here who really are unsure about their chances for legitimate reasons, the 77-87th bracket or so.

But maybe I'm naïve. It just upsets me a little to see people with excellent chances diminishing the real difficulties of some people :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mr.0

Hi all,
    I have 4 medicine courses as my first choice, and then my fifth is engineering. I am not sure if I can get the medicine course, but I think I will get engineering course.
    My concern is that will placing the 4 med courses above my engineering course, risks my chance of getting it?
    If the 4 med fails, will the engineering course arrive in the first round?

I would really appreciate your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 imsocool chillininda pool

it DOES NOT MATTER what order your courses are in.

if engineering was your 10th choice and you had 5 points more than someone with it as their 1st choice you will definitely, unequivocally, completely get in before them.
    order does not matter - its all about the points :)

your first round offer is always the highest preferance course you have the points for

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CiaraMT

Can't post a link but there's an interesting article on the hpat in the Irish times. Apparently 'two units – comprising seven questions – “were removed from scoring”.'

• Registered Users Posts: 7 NImed

Trinity or UCD as first place guys? What's adv/disadvantage of either??

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FunTimess

NImed wrote: »
    Trinity or UCD as first place guys? What's adv/disadvantage of either??

I'm thinking trinity to avoid pre-med.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 NImed

FunTimess wrote: »
    I'm thinking trinity to avoid pre-med.

Yeahh same, but whole UCD campus seems pretty good, do ya know much about the trinity hall place? Or differences between the courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dont BS

NImed wrote: »
    I got 230, 100th precentile, absolutly noo idea how, but over the moon as NI applicant so needed high score

I have no idea either as the highest score was 217.
    Congrats man. You must be so proud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

dont BS wrote: »

As well as that, he confounds mathematics by scoring in the hundredth percentile! My ears pricked at the time, but previous max-scorers have been 230+ so I couldn't be sure.

As an aside, I think that everyone scoring, say, in the top ten percent should be given the ninety-percentile score. Because, equating an LC "point" with an Hpat "point" is already questionable, and those at the upper-extreme of the curve are unfairly compensated, IMO.

• Advertisement

As well as that, he confounds mathematics by scoring in the hundredth percentile!
    While you are technically right about the maths, ACER do that every year ... someone gets told they are in the hundredth percentile.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yulkmn

can you get into med with HEAR?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kate the Book Thief

dont BS wrote: »

I'm going to defend this guy by saying that the highest score was actually not 217, if you look at the 2014 ACER Candidate Performance bell curve - you can find it on the ACER website on the results page - you can see that the highest scores extend beyond 217.
    As well as that, he confounds mathematics by scoring in the hundredth percentile!

He's not the only one who got a percentile score of 100 which probably means that the top 1% are given that score.

I'm going to defend this guy by saying that the highest score was actually not 217, if you look at the 2014 ACER Candidate Performance bell curve - you can find it on the ACER website on the results page - you can see that the highest scores extend beyond 217.

I recommend you steal more books, Kate :p That value (217) gives the maximum, and it's merely the dodgy graph which makes it appear as though there are higher scorers.

He's not the only one who got a percentile score of 100 which probably means that the top 1% are given that score.

Normal Distribution curve is an asymptote, so there is no hundredth percentile.

I recommend you steal more books, Kate :p That value (217) gives the maximum, and it's merely the dodgy graph which makes it appear as though there are higher scorers.

Not so, I scored 225

Not so, I scored 225.

In that case, my sincere apologies. Can you confirm that it was this year?

I and, I imagine, others were guided by a Careers Portal article which gave that score as the maximum.

@NImed: allow me to extend my apologies to you, as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CiaraMT

Yeah a heap of different articles said 217 was the highest?

In that case, my sincere apologies. Can you confirm that it was this year?

I and, I imagine, others were guided by a Careers Portal article which gave that score as the maximum.

@NImed: allow me to extend my apologies to you, as well :)

Yeah it was this year and no worries :)
    I saw said article, it was definitely misleading.
    CiaraMT wrote: »
    Yeah a heap of different articles said 217 was the highest?

I think that's because 217 is the last value given on the axis of the bell curve but the axis goes beyond it so...

And lazy journalists tend to copy one another ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Nocofee

Can you repeat the leaving cert and do medicine in the uk based on new results, granted you take the various aptitude tests?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement