Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Bryan Singer)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Seriously doubt he would ever ask for the procedure to be carried out.

Also
    we don't see his claws at the end so we don't know if they're adamantium or bone. I'm pretty sure they're wondering why he has admantium claws at the start of the film not the end because he was shown to have bone claws at the end of The Wolverine.

Thats what I am wondering, at the start he has them back. You even see them in the posters for the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Gintonious wrote: »
    Thats what I am wondering, at the start he has them back. You even see them in the posters for the film.

Yeah, it was never explained. One could assume that Magneto manipulated the adamantium in the rest of his body to cover the claws but it was never stated so who knows... Tbh, I doubt Singer cared at all about explaining it. Which is annoying...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,150 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah, it was never explained. One could assume that Magneto manipulated the adamantium in the rest of his body to cover the claws but it was never stated so who knows... Tbh, I doubt Singer cared at all about explaining it. Which is annoying...

Yeah I think it's just a straight up continuity error to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I was reading this, which is interesting

http://imgur.com/a/B2M1n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

He respected the continuity enough to include the bone claws in the first place so I'm sure jis acquisition of the adamantium will touched upon by Mangold in the wolverine sequel at least.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,150 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He respected the continuity enough to include the bone claws in the first place so I'm sure jis acquisition of the adamantium will touched upon by Mangold in the wolverine sequel at least.

Wolverine always had bone claws before the experiment was carried out on him though the films never showed them until Origins I think?

Maybe Mangold might clear it up alright, will be interesting to see where a wolverine sequel will go with the new timeline.

Wolverine always had bone claws before the experiment was carried out on him though the films never showed them until Origins I think?

Maybe Mangold might clear it up alright, will be interesting to see where a wolverine sequel will go with the new timeline.

He did but I'm talking about how he got adamantium steels back in the future. It's a pretty big deal and I'm disappointed Singer glossed over it in an otherwise stellar addition to the franchise.

He did but I'm talking about how he got adamantium steels back in the future. It's a pretty big deal and I'm disappointed Singer glossed over it in an otherwise stellar addition to the franchise.

Oh I took you up wrong so, that's exactly what I thought too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

He could well have explained it, but got dumped on the cutting room floor. Singer already revealed that a lengthy sequence featuring Anna Paquin as Rogue was dropped during editing, so perhaps a scene/line clearing up the adamantium issue was also abandoned. The home release should be very interesting, and one to look out for :)

The Rogue sequence supposedly
    involved Magneto and pals rescuing her from a Sentinal prison, with the intention of using her powers to absorb Kitty Pryde's. I think it wsa meant to tie in with Pryde getting injured, so Rogue could take over the transfer

pixelburp wrote: »
    He could well have explained it, but got dumped on the cutting room floor. Singer already revealed that a lengthy sequence featuring Anna Paquin as Rogue was dropped during editing, so perhaps a scene/line clearing up the adamantium issue was also abandoned. The home release should be very interesting, and one to look out for :)

involved Magneto and pals rescuing her from a Sentinal prison, with the intention of using her powers to absorb Kitty Pryde's. I think it wsa meant to tie in with Pryde getting injured, so Rogue could take over the transfer

In itself introducing more continuity errors since she had no powers at the end of The Last Stand iirc. :pac: I think they did a bit of picking and choosing regarding things they wanted to keep from the other films, the timeline Bluewolf posted shows a fair few inconsistencies too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In itself introducing more continuity errors since she had no powers at the end of The Last Stand iirc. :pac: I think they did a bit of picking and choosing regarding things they wanted to keep from the other films, the timeline Bluewolf posted shows a fair few inconsistencies too.

Not entirely; Magneto lost his powers in Last Stand too, but at the end of the film we saw he was slowly getting them back. I guess the McGuffin cure was only temporary, Rogue later having yet another unfortunate nearly-killing-your-boyfriend moment :D

On a side note I was taken aback (in a good way) by the amount of violence for a 12 cert. It was quite gruesome at times and added so much to the threat of the sentinels. Gas what you can get away with as long as the red stuff isn't shown.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

On a side note I was taken aback (in a good way) by the amount of violence for a 12 cert. It was quite gruesome at times and added so much to the threat of the sentinels. Gas what you can get away with as long as the red stuff isn't shown.

I was taken back by how scary the Sentinels were, genuinely they had me in fear!

Their size, the way they moved, their ruthlessness all were very well done.

That's the future Sentinels, the past ones were what I was expecting

Yeah seeing the
    new mutants along with the likes of Ice-man and Collossus getting slaughtered in the first few minutes had me completely taken aback, even if the time travel cheapened it somewhat but it was a great way to get the viewers attention and raise the stakes from the off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

pixelburp wrote: »

A more pertinent reason for cutting the Rogue scenes is that to show her using her powers would make it blindingly obvious to everyone that her power absorption ability is a far better fit for what trask wants for his sentinels then Mystiques ability to merely mimic appearance. But J-Law is box office so they overlooked that little fact to keep her front and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Tardful Slakerly

A more pertinent reason for cutting the Rogue scenes is that to show her using her powers would make it blindingly obvious to everyone that her power absorption ability is a far better fit for what trask wants for his sentinels then Mystiques ability to merely mimic appearance. But J-Law is box office so they overlooked that little fact to keep her front and centre.

That's one thing that I did think.

Something else that was silly but easily overlooked,
    that Magneto could control advanced robotic systems/give commands to the sentinels just by weaving some metal into them. That's a superpower in itself, not something Magneto could do outside of directly manipulating them like puppets. He certainly shouldn't be able to manipulate them on an operational level! But it's a comic book movie, you forgive these things. It was good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,736 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So I have a thread full of nerds nerding out and not one post in the last page or two bickering about the film in general

So we all enjoyed it. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, I'm a sucker for anything X-Men.

Fassbender was superb as Magneto.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think I got so caught up in reading the discussion about timelines I forgot to post my opinion of the movie? :D I loved it, thoroughly enjoyed it. They were all brilliant in it. Can't wait to see the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I think Fassbender stole the show for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

him and McAvoy both tbh, it's great when a comic movie gives it's characters something to do and a character arc. the Quicksilver sequence was so much fun the audience I saw it with were in bits laughing and it got a big cheer. I was worried Canadian audiences would be like their shouty whoopy US cousins but they're not thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Brian? wrote: »
    I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, I'm a sucker for anything X-Men.

Fassbender was superb as Magneto.

Fassbender is brilliant as Magneto both times he has played him. But McAvoy really did well portraying the pain and loss of Xavier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Fassbender is brilliant as Magneto both times he has played him. But McAvoy really did well portraying the pain and loss of Xavier

Although Fassbender is "cool", I actually find McAvoy to be a stronger screen presence. Plus it's a more difficult role, Magnetos power is obvious and the casual way with which Fassbender wields it is fascinating, but McAvoy has an invisible power so it's much tougher to portray that onscreen and be as believable as McAvoy is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Fassbender steals the film in every role he's performed. He's a top notch actor, has prime De Niro vibe to him.

Shame
    Hunger
    12 years a Slave
    X Men films
    Frank
    Fish Tank
    Prometheus (he's the best thing about that film)
    Inglourious Basterds ( Waltz gets the plaudits but Fassbender/Bar scene is the best thing in the film)
    Jane Eyre
    Eden Lake (a underwritten role, he brings a lot of heart and sadness to it)
    Centurion (not a great film but Fassbender's proves his action chops)
    A Dangerous Method (not a great film but Fassbender is great as usual).

even his Stinkers, he's usually the stand out in. He's certainly go to be our best acting talent if he continues this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Tardful Slakerly

Looper007 wrote: »
    Fassbender steals the film in every role he's performed. He's a top notch actor, has prime De Niro vibe to him.

Shame
    Hunger
    12 years a Slave
    X Men films
    Frank
    Fish Tank
    Prometheus (he's the best thing about that film)
    Inglourious Basterds ( Waltz gets the plaudits but Fassbender/Bar scene is the best thing in the film)
    Jane Eyre
    Eden Lake (a underwritten role, he brings a lot of heart and sadness to it)
    Centurion (not a great film but Fassbender's proves his action chops)
    A Dangerous Method (not a great film but Fassbender is great as usual).

even his Stinkers, he's usually the stand out in. He's certainly go to be our best acting talent if he continues this way.

Edit: Disregard! I obviously can't read.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,736 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh yeah he was a boss in Prometheus

thank god they retconned the magenta suit and helmet you see in the last 30 seconds of First Class.

I did feel maybe a little too much screen time was given to Mystique as opposed to the other X-Men characters but good movie overall, really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

309494.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I did feel maybe a little too much screen time was given to Mystique as opposed to the other X-Men characters but good movie overall, really enjoyed it.

Well it's only one of the biggest stars in the world and a Oscar winning actress, I knew they would fall into that problem once Lawarence did the Hunger Games and win the Oscar, no way she was getting a underwritten role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

I have to say 10 points for that...

Advertisement