Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Bryan Singer)

Options
  • 25-10-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭

So, it looks like Matthew Vaughn has decided to not return for the X-Men sequel 'Days Of Future Past'... and it now it looks like 20th Century Fox are eyeing up Bryan Singer to come back to direct.

While I enjoyed 'First Class' for the most part, it didn't hold a candle to the likes of X-Men and X2.. and the less said about X3 and Wolverine, the better.

But hey - Singer coming back can't be a bad thing... just look at the stunning job he done on the Superman franchise! :D
    EXCLUSIVE: Matthew Vaughn has decided not to direct the sequel to 20th Century Fox‘s hit spinoff X-Men: First Class. Ready for the next shocker? Atop the studio’s replacement short list is Bryan Singer, who launched the X-Men feature franchise with the first two superb films and who has been a guiding influence in this spinoff by writing the treatment and producing. If this works out, Singer and Vaughn would essentially be switching roles. Vaughn, who wrote the treatment for the sequel for X-Men: Days Of Future Past that was scripted by Simon Kinberg, would step back to produce the film with Kinberg and Lauren Shuler Donner.
    Deadline
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I thought First Class was the best of them after X2, the first X-Men is kinda pants tbh, but its still a masterpiece compared to Wolverine, shudder.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

krudler wrote: »
    I thought First Class was the best of them after X2, the first X-Men is kinda pants tbh, but its still a masterpiece compared to Wolverine, shudder.
    Don't know.. I rewatched them all recently, and have a real soft spot for the first X-Men.

Wolverine was just atrocious though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

the first X-Men is kinda pants tbh

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I actually thought FC was the best of the Xmen franchise. Pity Vaughan is not returning as I prefer him as a Director over Singer.

Basq wrote: »
    Don't know.. I rewatched them all recently, and have a real soft spot for the first X-Men.

Wolverine was just atrocious though.

I like the first half of X1, then it loses it, it looks cheap as hell in places too, some of the costumes are godawful, like Sabretooth. X2 is fantastic though, its definitely in the top 5 comic books movies ever for me. Wolverine is appalling, the cgi is worse than the first movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

My most hated thing about Wolverine is what they did to Deadpool.
    Brought him to the big screen, got the right actor.
    THEN SEALED HIS MOUTH SHUT!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Could he not just remake X-Men 3 instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I was kinda disappointed with FC.

It was going great but it seemed to lose steam towards the end.

A few of the mutants were stupid (although that wasn't the directors fault).
    Screaming pussy, flying acid-slut, guy with the vaguest power ever (adaptation).
    Also, what's her face from Mad Men was a plank of wood.

And they kinda crammed in the set up for the rest of the franchise towards the end - paraplegifying Xavier and all that for no real reason I could discern.

It was the bones of a good film so theres certainly a pool of talent there. I just hope some of the details don't let it down this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Really don't get the love for X-men 1 & 2. Pretty piss poor all round to be honest.

First Class is a far superior told story and executed much better imo.

Really not a fan of Singer.

My most hated thing about Wolverine is what they did to Deadpool.
    Brought him to the big screen, got the right actor.
    THEN SEALED HIS MOUTH SHUT!!!!

Yeah, Reynolds wa a great choice, then they completely missed the concept of the "merc with the mouth". someone should make a Deadpool movie, complete with 4th wall breaking, be great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Yeah, Reynolds wa a great choice, then they completely missed the concept of the "merc with the mouth". someone should make a Deadpool movie, complete with 4th wall breaking, be great fun.

They've been trying to get a film off the ground for years. Looks like it might finally happen as Tom Rothman has left Fox. There was a script floating around last year, I think, from the lads who wrote Zombieland. That was brilliant and was exactly what I imagined a Deadpool film to be. Hopefully they end up using it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I think bring Singer back would be the best decision they can make. I think X-Men is a good film. It had a smaller budget than all the others and a smaller scope storywise but it set up the franchise perfectly. Then he went on to make X2, which is an amazing movie. It was until Chris Nolan started release Batman films that a better comic movie than X2 was released.

First-class was pretty good but not in the same league as X2.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,733 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And it should star Ryan Reynolds, breaking the 4th wall, about how horribly he was abused in the Wolverine movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

I know it says Vaughan decided not to direct, but I really hope this stays the case. If some story surfaces of friction and budget slashing yada I think I'd have to just give up on Fox with comic book movies. I mean Vaughan gave credibility back to X Men after the dire turn out of X3 and Wolverine, no easy task.

Singer if you ask me has lost his early golden touch, between Valkyrie and Superman I cannot bring myself to get excited for anything he's involved in. Fingers still crossed though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm clearly completely against the grain on this, but I kind of enjoyed xmen 3. I know it was a bad film, but there were good parts to it (moving the bridge) and it was the best story of the lot. And even though FC was a good film and had some great scenes (magneto destroying the boat), I just didn't love it.

I do agree though that the second is easily the best, the first is the next best and wolverine was terrible. Really shockingly bad.

Oh, I also enjoyed Superman!

Singer was desperate to direct First Class but couldn't get out of his contract for Jack the Giant Killer. Ive heard from a few people who worked on Jack that during production meetings Singer was more concerned with playing on his iPhone than he was on the film. He would nod his head every now and again but for the most part he may as well not even have been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I was going to create a new thread but.......

Bryan Singer has confirmed that confirmed that Sir Ian Mckellen and Sir Patrick Stewart are set to reprise their roles as Magneto and Professor X for the upcoming superhero sequel ‘X-Men: Days of Future Past.’ Singer revealed their return to the comic book franchise with the following tweet:
    “Thrilled to announce @ianmckellen118 & @SirPatStew are joining the cast of #XMEN #DaysOfFuturePast #magneto #professorX More to come...”

Penned by Simon Kinberg, ‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’ is scheduled for release July 2014 with Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult and the rest of the ’X-Men: First Class’ stars set to return.

While it has yet to be confirmed, the sequel’s plot is said to draw inspiration from Chris Claremont and John Byrne’s memorable 1981 comic book story arc which revolved around an alternate dystopian future where mutant-hunting robots called the Sentinels rule America and track mutants, kill them or put them in camps.
    The few surviving members of the X-Men – Wolverine, Kitty Pryde, Storm, Colossus, Rachel Summers and Franklin Richards, son of The Fantastic Four’s Mr. Fantastic and Invisible Woman, along with Magneto, plan to change history by sending Kitty’s consciousness back through time and into her younger self — where she can warn the X-Men of 30 years ago to prevent the dark age that follows.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Vaughan still involved with the script of he is completely gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Jackman also in talks to appear atm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Gone to do Star Wars it would seem.

Directors always seem to be abandoning X-Men for bigger and better things. Hopefully it works out better for Vaughn than it did for Singer, or he could find himself back doing the next X-men film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

He's down as a producer.

He's also going to co produce Kick-Ass 2, which will be directed by Jeff Wadlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Raekwon wrote: »
    He's down as a producer.

He's also going to co produce Kick-Ass 2, which will be directed by Jeff Wadlow.

As well as work on SuperCrooks with Mark Millar...so it's not like he's not busy

Thwip! wrote: »
    Jackman also in talks to appear atm

Official now

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Peter Dinklage has been signed up to play the main villain according to a number of articles!

Some are speculating that he will play
    Boliver Trask, the inventor of the Sentinels
    . A huge amount of acting talent is turning up for this and if the writers can capture some the magic from the Claremont/Byrne comic classic, this could be something special!

Dinklage as Jackman's replacement for Wolverine :pac: c'mon who wouldn't pay to see that.

Peter Dinklage has been signed up to play the main villain according a number of articles!

Some are speculating that he will play
    Boliver Trask, the inventor of the Sentinels
    . A huge amount of acting talent is turning up for this and if the writers can capture some the magic from the Claremont/Byrne comic classic, this could be something special!

Wow Dinklage is a great cast addition

I'm kinda confused - how will this story fit in with the X-Men movie timeline? Will it be set after X-Men 3 or after First Class, but before X-Men 1?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm kinda confused - how will this story fit in with the X-Men movie timeline? Will it be set after X-Men 3 or after First Class, but before X-Men 1?

Its going to be mainly set in the 1970's afaik, so after first class but before X-men 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

After First Class/before X-Men 1 and After X-Men 3 its a time travel movie that hopefully will clear up all the mistakes between X-Men 3 and First Class or wipe out all the continuity and start a fresh new series.

• Advertisement

I also enjoyed X-Men 3. Sure, it was the worst of the franchise (well, OK, Wolverine is up there too), but it was fun. Plus it was worth it for this line alone -

Advertisement