Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview PVR Box has arrived.

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Just browsing the schedules with my new Panasonic PVR, the good thing about this recorder over the Walker is when you select a programme to record via the epg, you can view the series link info for that particular programme over the week ahead.

Just checking the Midday programme on TV3, the series info after today shows the programme as a repeat (R) in the info which basically means today's programme would be recorded but same programme for the week ahead wouldn't because they're flagged as repeats.

Same for Vincent Browne, after tonight's programme every other Vincent Browne programme, early morning/late evening, is flagged as (R) Repeat and so won't be recorded via series link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

The Cush wrote: »
    ... Just checking the Midday programme on TV3, the series info after today shows the programme as a repeat (R) in the info which basically means today's programme would be recorded but same programme for the week ahead wouldn't because they're flagged as repeats.

Same for Vincent Browne, after tonight's programme every other Vincent Browne programme, early morning/late evening, is flagged as (R) Repeat and so won't be recorded via series link.

Ok, once more into the breach! I had a look at the EIT data and can confirm that the Programme CRID (/96633970) and Series CRID (/104705061) for the Midday programme for today (9/4) and tomorrow (10/4) are exactly the same. The Series CRID should stay the same so that the PVR can identify a series, but the programme CRID needs to change every day otherwise the PVR thinks it's a repeat! I had a quick look at the CRID info for the News at 12:45 and its programme CRID doesn't change from day to day either.
    On the other hand, Coronation Street is coded correctly - unique CRID for each programme and unchanging CRID for the evening-time series. And correctly coded as a different series for the repeats at 15:00 each afternoon.
    So - who is responsible for generating this meta data and coding it properly into the EIT stream? TV3, 2RN, Redbee?

fat-tony wrote: »
    So - who is responsible for generating this meta data and coding it properly into the EIT stream? TV3, 2RN, Redbee?

Saorview have a contract with Red Bee for the Saorview metadata - http://www.redbeemedia.com/news/red-bee-media-power-tv-and-radio-listings-saorview-irelands-free-digital-television-service

Are they responsible?

Or this it TV3, in this case, who supply their listings to Saorview/Red Bee for not identifying series, programme and repeat data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Are these Crids only incorrect on TV3 programmes or are they incorrect on RTE programmes too ? Does the Six One News have the correct Crids ? Otherwise that should show up as a repeat each evening also ?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Anyone mind checking if Soccer Republic 11pm Monday night is setting for series link, or is it just me? Gives me the option to set it but the yellow box doesn't come around the listing to show it is set and in the list of timers it is listed as 'Not scheduled yet' even though it is listed fine in the EPG. Cheers.

• Advertisement

Anyone mind checking if Soccer Republic 11pm Monday night is setting for series link, or is it just me? Gives me the option to set it but the yellow box doesn't come around the listing to show it is set and in the list of timers it is listed as 'Not scheduled yet' even though it is listed fine in the EPG

Yes, the series link option is available for "Soccer Republic", checked on both my Panasonic PVR and the Walker PVR.

The 'Not scheduled yet' message is a regular problem with the Walker box unfortunately, I've posted about it many times here before. The only way to resolve it is to do a factory reset IIRC. One of the many problems with the Walker PVR.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Are these Crids only incorrect on TV3 programmes or are they incorrect on RTE programmes too ? Does the Six One News have the correct Crids ? Otherwise that should show up as a repeat each evening also ?

The problem appears to be with TV3, haven't noted any problems to date with RTÉ1/2.

I setup my new Panasonic on Mon 31st last and set a number of series-link timers to test it, 6 and 9 news, nationwide, primetime etc. I now have 10 episodes of the 6 and 9 news stored since that date and all recorded without problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

The problem appears to be with TV3, haven't noted any problems to date with RTÉ1/2.

I setup my new Panasonic on Mon 31st last and set a number of timers to test it, 6 and 9 news, nationwide, primetime etc. I now have 10 episodes of the 6 and 9 news stored since that date and all recorded without problem.

Thanks for the info. Looks like its TV3 only. Can that channel do anything right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,443 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ninja900 wrote: »
    Got (another) problem recently with my Walker PVR, sound via SCART is often very distorted when turned on. The first time this resolved itself after a few minutes, the last time it didn't even after an hour. Can't test the HDMI output on this box where it is located.

Retuning, switching audio channel etc. make no difference and this affects playback of recordings made before this fault appeared as well as live TV on both muxes. Will try a full factory reset but I'm thinking it's actually a fault - bad capacitors??

Same problem when the box was turned on this evening. Had a look at the audio settings in desperation, delay was set to 0 but I tried increasing it, still distorted - but when I reduced the delay back down to 0 the distortion vanished. So it's yet another software issue. That was after a cold reboot (power pulled out) failed to cure it :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Does the Panasonic or any other box act as a combo to view satellite as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are only high end customised PCs and very expensive customised Linux boxes that are true Satellite & Terrestrial PVRs. Almost no market for them outside Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

3 weeks in with the Walker dual tuner (6500) now, and looking good. Still have had no failed recordings. It did record a morning repeat of both Fair City and Conoration street during the week, but the main thing is that it also recorded the new episodes so I can live with that...

Only issue this week is the box lost a few channells after coming out of sleep. A quick rescan thought them back, but I am thinking that maybe it's the power saving mode that might be the issue, so have disabled that now in the settings menu and will leave than run for a while and report back.

Only issue this week is the box lost a few channells after coming out of sleep. A quick rescan thought them back, but I am thinking that maybe it's the power saving mode that might be the issue, so have disabled that now in the settings menu and will leave than run for a while and report back.

As I said previously here this is a regular issue, in power saving mode or non-power saving mode and if a recording is scheduled on one of these channels it will be missed.

Thought it was a signal overload problem so I stuck an attenuator on the aerial in but it made no difference.

My brother also replaced his Walker PVR earlier this week, one of the retailers he spoke to said they no longer stock the Walker box because too many were returned by customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 NitWit

Cush did you every try a manual tune ?

NitWit wrote: »
    Cush did you every try a manual tune ?
    Yes, there was never any problem tuning in the channels the problem was losing them.

Since we discussed this back in April they appear to have the series link issue sorted now, has been OK for a few weeks, maybe as a result of this discussion?

Vincent's monthly People's Debate programmes aren't recorded, different series link.

Tonight's 2hr Euro candidates discussion didn't start recording until 11:00pm (first hour missed), the change to the TV3 schedule was probably too late for the for the Saorview metadata and all the print schedules - RTÉ Guide, Sat/Sun newspaper TV supplements etc. Only today's newspaper listings and Digiguide appeared to carry the updated TV3 listings for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

I thought RTE had lost interest in Saorview but they seem to be regaining it - ad campaigns and maybe even reading this Forum. What next! I'm told that they have a new guy in markerting who is an ex-JVC service manager, so maybe he has been reading what is said here.

I have my old Walker PVR setup on a bedroom TV, when I switched it on earlier a message was displayed which said there was a software update available and if I wanted to install it. Receiver was updated to v1.11. No idea what the update did, no noticeable change that I can see.

The Saorview SSU webpage indicates the updated started on May 6th - http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/equipment-upgrade-schedule/

It picked that up just now on a manual scan (although auto-scan for updates already was set to on!)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Got the update myself there when I turned the box on this evening. Hopefully some good fixes included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

They were advertising Saorview on the radio this morning... pushing the World Cup in HD for free. Perhaps there has been a recent refocusing on the service at some level that matters...

I've been holding off from buying a PVR until the various problems (box bugs, accurate real time schedule updates, etc) are resolved... fingers crossed we may even see a new PVR box launched in time for the world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Hope I don't jinx it but the Walker dual tuner has been behaving well over the past 3 weeks....no missed show, series link working, no losing channels, etc.

So perhaps the series link issues were down to the network after all and not the box. Just got the new firmware upgrade, (had to manually scan for it) - no obvious differences so perhaps it's all bug fixes...time will tell.

Feckin' POS!!!

Had the Leinster rugby game scheduled to record on RTE2, the dots on the LED display showed it was recording at the appropriate time. Turned on Toy Story on RTE1 for the kids, and RTE2 showed as recording on the other tuner. Fine.

But a few hours later, in the library, no recording shows up - and this isn't the first time this has happened - and this box is on the 'updated' software.

What a joke. I will never buy any Walker product again. Shame on Saorview for certifying this turd.

The only reason I can think it lost the ruby recording is the power was switched off at the plug.

NitWit wrote: »
    The only reason I can think it lost the ruby recording is the power was switched off at the plug.

No, same happened to me on a few occasions, the box front display indicated the recording was happening but when you went into the library the recording wasn't there.

The only problem I have had recently was while doing two recordings.
    I was channel zapping and the video and audio just stopped, it said it was changing channel at the bottom of the screen and all the library and play back worked okay but nothing live.
    Both recordings were due to stop in a few minutes so I made a cup of tea.
    When I canme back both recordings had stop but still no video when channel changing.
    The power button did not work either, so had to pulled the power lead out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone know what the interface is like on this thing? Is it as simple as some of the ones you get with the TV subscription services? Am thinking of getting one for the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭zg3409

A Sky box has a much better interface, but needs a minimum subscription to combine rte + uk + recording and series linking.
    This box is not easy to use. It has a very basic interface and is Irish channels only. You need to turn on the tv and use the tv volume separate. If you have the budget of approx 35 per month and want series linking go with sky

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you mainly watch UK channels / UK content just get a Freesat box instead.

You get good interface, series link , reminders, red button , and it updates the channels when they change every year or so. https://www.freesat.co.uk/channels (no you don't get geo-blocked catch up content)

You don't get Irish channels. But your TV does. A lot of stuff on RTE2 and the UK owned channels you'll get on Freesat anyway and in HD. To record Irish channels use a USB stick on the telly. Even TG4 had a documentary about Wild Ireland in SD, which showed up on BBC, in HD :)

(yes you can bodge Saorsat onto some Freesat boxes, but it's a lot of work and is messy , and you still don't get the channels on the EPG. Linux boxes are far too customisable for parents to use, unless you have one yourself and don't mind tweaking for them.)

If the freesat box doesn't have a universal remote then get one.

If you have a smart TV, it's possible that Saorview Connect could be done as an app.

• Advertisement

Yes it is simple.
    The recordings library takes many seconds to load, which is annoying.
    The TV guide is as simple and you get.
    I like using the Up (2 minute skip) and Left (30 second skip) when using the playback feature.

Advertisement