Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview PVR Box has arrived.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

ninja900 wrote: »
    - Correctly deal with schedule changes e.g. extra time in a sports fixture delaying later programmes.

Whatever about the first two, there's little hope of RTE implementing the third one correctly, any time a programme is delayed or changed they never update the EPG.

Saorview has a contract with Red Bee Media to suppy its epg metadata/listings, I wonder how quickly this data can be updated to include any changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zg3409

Could someone put Vincent Browne on Series Link on this box if they have a free minute and see if it successfully records subsequent programmes following the initial one that series link is selected on?
    I have set my box to record the Vincent Browne series. I suggest you delete the series and re-set your box.

As explained normally the box fully rely on the broadcaster to send the correct info for the episode number and series number. If this is not sent correctly all boxes will fail to record the series. The same happens with Sky + boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Have deleted and reset but the same issue. Pity really as VB is pretty much the only show on TV3 I'd watch.

I had an episode of another show from 10:15 until 10:45 finish recording early (about 4 minutes) presumably because the show was late to start and so late to finish.

I checked in the settings and could find no way to extend the recording time before and after the show by a few minutes to prevent this from happening again. It might be possible to manually adjust the timer for each show to add a few minutes but this is impractical to do every time.

It would be good if updated software included this feature.

Could someone put Vincent Browne on Series Link

Selected series link on last night's (Monday) show but it didn't record tonight. The yellow outline isn't showing on future shows. When I try to record one of them I only have the option to delete the series.

The same happened for me too. I went into the timers menu and I can see the box intends recording the repeat of the Tuesday night's show which is at 6:10am on the Wednesday. Some boxes have the ability to record the show at a different time in case of recording conflicts, but I think in this case the information being sent over Saorview is linking the Monday show and the Wednesday am show together instead of the Monday and Tuesday nights, or so it seems.

Holidaysong can you confirm in the timers, and probably by now, that it did indeed record the am Wednesday repeat instead?

I would assume this would happen no matter which make of box was used.

I have sent an email to RedBeeMedia and Saorview explaining the issue, so I am holding my breadth for you. It's funny the contact email on Saorview's own site is wrong! http://www.saorview.ie/contact/ there should be no www just info@

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Sorting timers for most channels seems a very grey area. Not only did RTÉ get it wrong for the last episode of Homeland but Channel 4 did as well. BBC programmes rarely start on time & therefore end up with a cut off at the end. Real time adjustments to schedules for extra time in football or extended coverage of a news item never seem to be implemented into the EPG & therefore timer schedules.

Reponse from RTE:
    Thank you for taking the time to contact RTÉ. It's most regrettable that you're missing some of the programme you have set to record. Unfortunately, this occurs due to the start time of programmes being subject to change. Unlike channels in the cable world, both RTÉ One and Two are dynamic reactive TV channels whose schedules fluctuate and change. This occurs on all television channels to some extent. However it's less of a problem for other broadcasters for two reasons:

•Non-reactive cable broadcasters with strip schedules (i.e. no live programmes) rarely make changes to the billed times because they are not subject to the fluctuation that occurs with live programmes.

•BBC and other major UK broadcasters use sophisticated technology to link their output system (e.g. Probel) to SKY where any changes in transmission will “trigger” a response in the Electronic Programme Guide and obviously this keeps all SKY Plus recordings in synch.

RTÉ has explored the possibility of upgrading to the Probel technology mentioned above. However, because of the significant costs involved we are unable to proceed due to financial constraints at this time.

Your complaint below will, of course, be included in the RTÉ Audience Log which is circulated to senior programme management, including Head of Scheduling, and submitted for review at RTÉ's Editorial Meetings.

We thank you for making your views known and we apologise most sincerely for the inconvenience caused.

Still does not explain why the later repeat show was marked to record instead, so I have replied asking again why one show is different.

It also highlights that a system of starting the recordings 5 minutes before and after the EPG time is indeed needed especially as RTE does not have the technology to update the EPG due to delays. A simple firmware update on the box is all that is needed. No need to buy anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

BBC programmes rarely start on time & therefore end up with a cut off at the end. Real time adjustments to schedules for extra time in football or extended coverage of a news item never seem to be implemented into the EPG & therefore timer schedules.

What box and system are you using?
    The only time we've lost the end of a BBC recording on Freesat (Humax Foxsat, owned over 2 years now and many recordings per week) is when an over-running programme conflicts with 2 other recordings. If you're watching TV at the time on the Humax you can choose which recordings get priority. Seems to me the BBC is getting it right but perhaps your box is unable to update changes to the scheduled recording once it's started.

On the other hand, it's not unusual to lose the last 2 minutes of a Ch4 recording which doesn't overrun, but get 5-6 minutes of ads at the start of the recording.. :mad:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ag2411oc

A few queries for the experts here;

Is the Walker WP6500TTR the only Saorview approved PVR box on the market?
    If so, is it any good? Or would people suggest waiting for better (and/or less expensive) boxes to appear on the market?

I currently have no TV recording capability and as I also receive the UK FTA channels on my current Saorview box, a decent PVR would do the job nicely. I don't fancy a USB connected HDD solution as I've enough devices under the telly as it is!

Thanks for any info...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Willby

ag2411oc wrote: »

If so, is it any good? Or would people suggest waiting for better (and/or less expensive) boxes to appear on the market?

I currently have no TV recording capability and as I also receive the UK FTA channels on my current Saorview box, a decent PVR would do the job nicely. I don't fancy a USB connected HDD solution as I've enough devices under the telly as it is!

Thanks for any info...

Yes the Walker is the only Saorview approved PVR on the market and there are unlikely to be any others in the foreseeable future due to the small size of the market.
    I don't have it myself but early reports on here are good and has series link etc.
    It is capable of receiving Freeview std definition also but not Freeview HD unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

ag2411oc wrote: »

Thanks for any info...

Good value available on Panasonic DMR-HW120 or HW220.
    Works well for both SV and FV except no detailed program synopsis available for Saorview on the EPG.
    Try www.panasonicstore.ie or www.richersounds.com. Richer ship from Belfast and a Boards thread somewhere.
    New Panasonic model range due out in June that may or may not be fully SV approved, but existing model works great for me and a good price. See my earlier post re this new range.

If you are in an area with Freeview HD I would not recommend the approved box. It is not capable of picking up the HD channels on Freeview and will not be capable of any newer UK channels that may be launched in the future.

There are a number of UK approved Freeview + HD boxes. Some of these, even though approved for use in the UK, do not seem to work with series link on Saorview.

Personally if I was in a border area I would look at the Panasonic. Also there is a Humax. There are some tricks to get the boxes to work better in border area. One entails programming the box to wake up for a few minutes every night, in order to ensure the 7 day guide is up to date. If the guide is not up to date some recordings may fail.

See here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056610323&page=9
    for discussions of series link on the humax in border areas.

Some of these boxes may become Saorview approved in the coming years, but possibly not. Even if they are approved in the future they may still not work 100% in border areas as most boxes ask which country (UK or IRL) and do not have a 2 country mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

So is the tvtrade.ie price of €179.99 the cheapest around for this box. And I think this includes free delivery.

Also for the antenna out option on the box, can this be utilised to feed another tv in the house along with the hdmi feed to the main tv. I would like to replicate my current setup with my sky plus box and Sky eye.

I'd also like to do the same with a freesat box but I'm not sure there is a tv out option on those boxes.

Where is the cheapest I would get the popular humax freesat pvr? I have looked at eBay and amazon but they seem to be circa €300 for the 500gb model?

So is the tvtrade.ie price of €179.99 the cheapest around for this box. And I think this includes free delivery.

Also for the antenna out option on the box, can this be utilised to feed another tv in the house along with the hdmi feed to the main tv. I would like to replicate my current setup with my sky plus box and Sky eye.

I'd also like to do the same with a freesat box but I'm not sure there is a tv out option on those boxes.

Where is the cheapest I would get the popular humax freesat pvr? I have looked at eBay and amazon but they seem to be circa €300 for the 500gb model?

I assume you are talking about the Walker. The TVtrade price is actually €220.17 inc VAT. Powercity and others stock this so this is around the going rate.

The antenna out cannot be used to feed another TV like a Sky eye. To do this you would need to also buy a "triax tri link". Without the tri link it could be used to feed a TV with it's own Saorview tuner, but not to set recordings or playback recordings without the tri-link.

Remember a Sky eye & a tri-link will never give out a HD picture so is not ideal for TVs greater that 32inch.

FreeSat boxes would also need a triax-trilink. It may be possible to just use the one tri-link for two boxes but I have never done this. I think they have 2 scart connections. However you may need two units. I am not sure.

The humax is 270Euro plus new. There may be cheaper secondhand units. Some Irish retailers might price match. The older (popular) humax is out of stock and not being made anymore. There are some mixed reviews of the newer 1000s boxes but some of the bugs may be fixed in firmware updates shortly.

I would recommend reading all this thread, threads on the humax and details of the tri-link before shelling out 100's

This setup may be as close to Sky as possible, but having used Sky I would consider it a step down, even for free channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭In the old days

Good value available on Panasonic DMR-HW120 or HW220.
    Works well for both SV and FV except no detailed program synopsis available for Saorview on the EPG.
    Try www.panasonicstore.ie or www.richersounds.com. Richer ship from Belfast and a Boards thread somewhere.
    New Panasonic model range due out in June that may or may not be fully SV approved, but existing model works great for me and a good price. See my earlier post re this new range.
    DMR-HW120 range doesn't show/record subtitles on saorview . Loss of full epg blurb on programmes is a minor nusiance but annoying. No teletext on tv3/tg4 etc (MHEG 5 on rte works well). Also be careful if you already have a panasonic blu ray player, in my case the remote switches on both at same time and duplicates controls . Recordings are stacked nicely and with a decent interface and reliable. You can re-number channels which is great. Overall I like the machine but be aware of limitations. Will be interesting to see how the new range stacks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

zg3409 wrote: »
    The same happened for me too. I went into the timers menu and I can see the box intends recording the repeat of the Tuesday night's show which is at 6:10am on the Wednesday. Some boxes have the ability to record the show at a different time in case of recording conflicts, but I think in this case the information being sent over Saorview is linking the Monday show and the Wednesday am show together instead of the Monday and Tuesday nights, or so it seems.

Holidaysong can you confirm in the timers, and probably by now, that it did indeed record the am Wednesday repeat instead?

I would assume this would happen no matter which make of box was used.

I have sent an email to RedBeeMedia and Saorview explaining the issue, so I am holding my breadth for you. It's funny the contact email on Saorview's own site is wrong! http://www.saorview.ie/contact/ there should be no www just info@

I haven't been active on this section of boards for some time, but I received a PM about this particular issue on Series Linking on Vincent Browne on TV3.

Had a look at the EIT data just now and it seems that TV3/RedBee have reversed the Series and Programme CRIDs. Every episode entry (that I looked at) of Vincent Browne has the same Programme CRID /18178217 and the Series CRID is different on each entry. The programme makers or RedBee need to assign the Series CRID correctly. Programme CRIDs and the corresponding repeats overnight should be the same, but the next night's Programme CRID should be unique in order for the PVR to work properly. Garbage In / Garbage Out ;)

fat-tony wrote: »
    Had a look at the EIT data just now and it seems that TV3/RedBee have reversed the Series and Programme CRIDs.

Redbee are "going to ring me back". Fingers and toes crossed this time. They never replied to an email a week ago.

Redbee are "going to ring me back". Fingers and toes crossed this time. They never replied to an email a week ago.

Red Bee say TV3 will now ring or email me.

Good luck with that! While you're talking with the techies you might ask them to do something with the sound settings, also. It's like they have extreme compression turned on so that silent passages in programmes gradually rise in volume then, when a loud transient occurs, it is rapidly reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

[QUOTE= Also be careful if you already have a panasonic blu ray player, in my case the remote switches on both at same time and duplicates controls . [/QUOTE]

The clash of remotes is common. See P78 of the manual on how to fix it.
    Also discussed on this thread.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/pvrs-vcrs/1743777-panasonic-pvr-blu-ray-remote-conflict.html

• Advertisement

Red Bee have contacted me back "Red Bee Media Metadata" are investigating the problem and will respond to me.

Red Bee have contacted me back "Red Bee Media Metadata" are investigating the problem and will respond to me.

As of 13:30 the metadata is still wrong - Series and Programme CRIDs reversed on Vincent Browne. Looks ok on other programmes.

Powercity have dropped the price to 179.99

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-WP6500&pages=1&prod=WP6500&brands=WALKER&image=

That's 50 Euro off original price. A haggle may get the price down further. They have a big ad for this on the homepage. I noticed in at least two stores they now have tiny screens set up above the set top boxes to show the EPG, series link etc. They seem to have 3 screens connected to various boxes including this PVR. Good to see them giving demo's of the boxes. They normally seem to leave them on the EPG screen, presumably to explain the benefits of series link etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sol star

Hi,

I have a few (possibly silly) queries for the experts here (I live in the border region by the way);

Is the Walker PVR suitable for long-term archiving i.e. can the recordings be transferred?

I have two newish saorview televisions. If a future version of this Walker pvr has a DVB-T2 tuner, could I then watch HD channels from Northern Ireland? What are the chances of Walker producing such a device this year?

Would the Walker PVR allow me to use the BBC red-button service as well as RTE Aertel? (One of my televisions does have red button services, another does not for some reason)

Would the Panasonic DMR HW220 (or DMR PWT520) give me access to the BBC red-button service?

Is there a chance that all channels will be broadcast in HD in the near future?

Thanks in Advance

sol star wrote: »
    Is the Walker PVR suitable for long-term archiving i.e. can the recordings be transferred?

No, if you read the manual (earlier in thread) and my comments it seems as if videos can only be transferred from an external USB device to the box and not from the box.
    I have two newish saorview televisions. If a future version of this Walker pvr has a DVB-T2 tuner, could I then watch HD channels from Northern Ireland? What are the chances of Walker producing such a device this year?

It depends, Can you currently get non-HD channels from Northern Ireland using your aerial ?(as opposed to a dish) Are they reliable? As I already said, there are other non Saorview approved boxes with DVB-T2 which are probably better for those in border regions. It is likely that in the next couple years one of the UK models may become Saorview approved. Even then they do not test for cross border compatability, so basically I would say not to wait but buy a non-approved box, that is known to work already. There are some quirks but once you are aware of them it's a reliable setup.
    Would the Walker PVR allow me to use the BBC red-button service as well as RTE Aertel? (One of my televisions does have red button services, another does not for some reason)
    No, even when country is set to UK red button does not work.
    Would the Panasonic DMR HW220 (or DMR PWT520) give me access to the BBC red-button service?
    If it is Freeview HD approved then it will, however it may then have some slight problems with the Irish guide etc. Best to search for users with this box in border areas and get their views. A search on boards for the model number, Saorview and series link should help.
    Is there a chance that all channels will be broadcast in HD in the near future?

It depends on what you mean. Definitely all new channels in the north (whether HD or not) will be DVB-T2 so would need a compatable box. In the south more channels will go HD. I doubt all channels will be HD, as that would limit the number of channels possible and also increase the cost per channel. There definitely will be a trend todwards HD, but SD is not dead yet. The fact that all Saorview boxes are HD ready means at least no need to simultaniously breadcast SD and HD versions of channels like they have to do in the north.

Red bee reported back to me:

They reckon their is no problem from their end. They enter the TV3 data into the database.
    As far as I am aware, no changes have been made. Either there is a
    problem with the site itself or the specifications designated by
    RTE/Saorview are incorrect. By all means test it again to see if
    anything has changed.

So can everyone with a box please check to see if Vincent Browne records series link correctly. If not I can contact Saorview/RTENL.

fat-tony can you check again the info for next weeks shows and see if it still is sending the wrong data?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Set VB again for Series link using the show from this coming Monday. That show is outlined in yellow but the show from the night after isn't. This again usually isn't what you see when Series link is set correctly. Will report back on how the recordings go.

Red bee reported back to me:

They reckon their is no problem from their end. They enter the TV3 data into the database.

So can everyone with a box please check to see if Vincent Browne records series link correctly. If not I can contact Saorview/RTENL.

fat-tony can you check again the info for next weeks shows and see if it still is sending the wrong data?

@zg - I don't know what you reported to RedBee, but their reply, which you quoted, makes no sense. What "site" are they talking about? What specifications are incorrect?
    It may well be the case that the data TV3 have given RedBee for the EIT data carried in the schedule stream is incorrect, but it is obvious that the series CRID and programme CRID were reversed on last week's data. For the coming week a subtle change has happened. The Vincent Browne Series CRID is now consistent, but the Programme CRID is unchanged from night to night, so the PVR may not record episodes it thinks it has recorded already (as @holidaysong is reporting). Here are snippets from the EIT data for Coronation Street Monday 11th at 19.30 and 20.30 (CRID info is correct):
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
      <DVB-T_Europe_722>
        <EventID Value="41771" Name="Coronation Street">
          <StartTime String="11/03/2013 19:30:00"/>
          <Duration String="00:30:00"/>
          <RunningStatus Value="0" Name="undefined"/>
          <FreeCAMode Value="0" Name="not encrypted"/>
          <Descriptor HValue="0x4D" Name="Short Event">
            <DescriptorLength Value="25"/>
            <Language String="eng"/>
            <CharacterTable HValue="0x05" Name="Latin alphabet No. 5"/>
            <EventName String="Coronation Street"/>
            <EventDescription String=""/>
          </Descriptor>
          <Descriptor HValue="0x54" Name="Content">
            <DescriptorLength Value="2"/>
            <ContentNibbles HValue="0x00" Name="Not defined"/>
            <UserByte HValue="0x00"/>
          </Descriptor>
          <Descriptor HValue="0x76" Name="Content Identifier">
            <DescriptorLength Value="21"/>
            <CRIDType HValue="0x31" Name=" User Private">
              <CRIDLocation Value="0" Name="Carried explicitly within descriptor"/>
              <CRID String="/50092089"/>  ***Prog CRID ***
            </CRIDType>
            <CRIDType HValue="0x32" Name=" User Private">
              <CRID String="/18298.2"/> ***Series CRID ***
            </CRIDType>
          </Descriptor>
          <Descriptor HValue="0x4E" Name="Extended Event">
            <DescriptorLength Value="241"/>
            <DescriptorNumber Value="0"/>
            <LastDescriptorNumber Value="0"/>
            <Language String="eng"/>
            <Text String="Katy ruins Ryan&apos;s date with Steph. Jason decides it&apos;s payback time for Karl. An emotional Sunita confides in Sophie. Director: Duncan Foster Starring: Georgia May Foote, Sol Heras, Tisha Merry, Ryan Thomas, John Michie, Shobna Gulati "/>
          </Descriptor>

<DVB-T_Europe_722>
        <EventID Value="41773" Name="Coronation Street">
          <StartTime String="11/03/2013 20:30:00"/>
          <Duration String="00:30:00"/>
            <DescriptorLength Value="25"/>
            <Language String="eng"/>
            <EventName String="Coronation Street"/>
          </Descriptor>
          </Descriptor>
            <DescriptorLength Value="21"/>
              <CRID String="/50092093"/> *** different Prog CRID ***
            </CRIDType>
              <CRID String="/18298.2"/> *** same Series CRID ***
            </CRIDType>
          </Descriptor>
            <DescriptorLength Value="254"/>
            <LastDescriptorNumber Value="1"/>
            <Language String="eng"/>
            <Text String="An unsuspecting Chesney plans a romantic surprise for Katy. Stella gives Jason a telling off. Sally lies to avoid a night in with Gail. Director: Duncan Foster Starring: Sam Aston, Georgia May Foote, Michelle Collins, Ryan Thomas, Sally Dynevor, H"/>
          </Descriptor>
            <DescriptorLength Value="18"/>
            <DescriptorNumber Value="1"/>
            <LastDescriptorNumber Value="1"/>
            <Language String="eng"/>
            <Text String="elen Worth "/>
          </Descriptor>
        </EventID>
      </DVB-T_Europe_722>

Now the EIT data for Vinnie Browne on 11th and 12th at 23:00 (Series CRID and Programme CRID don't change):
      <DVB-T_Europe_722>
        <EventID Value="41776" Name="Tonight with Vincent Browne">
          <StartTime String="11/03/2013 23:00:00"/>
          <Duration String="01:05:00"/>
            <DescriptorLength Value="35"/>
            <Language String="eng"/>
            <EventName String="Tonight with Vincent Browne"/>
          </Descriptor>
          </Descriptor>
            <DescriptorLength Value="22"/>
              <CRID String="/18178217"/> *** Programme CRID same as every episode last week !!! ***
            </CRIDType>
              <CRID String="/48794299"/> *** Series CRID **
            </CRIDType>
          </Descriptor>
            <DescriptorLength Value="149"/>
            <Language String="eng"/>
            <Text String="Vincent Browne tackles the toughest questions facing modern Ireland, debating both the main issues of the day and contemporary moral dilemmas."/>
          </Descriptor>
        </EventID>
      </DVB-T_Europe_722>

<DVB-T_Europe_722>
        <EventID Value="41802" Name="Tonight with Vincent Browne">
          <StartTime String="12/03/2013 23:00:00"/>
          <Duration String="01:05:00"/>
            <DescriptorLength Value="35"/>
            <Language String="eng"/>
            <EventName String="Tonight with Vincent Browne"/>
          </Descriptor>
          </Descriptor>
            <DescriptorLength Value="22"/>
              <CRID String="/18178217"/>  *** Different Day but same Programme CRID  ***
            </CRIDType>
              <CRID String="/48794299"/> *** Series CRID same as yesterday - correct! ***
            </CRIDType>
          </Descriptor>
            <DescriptorLength Value="149"/>
            <Language String="eng"/>
            <Text String="Vincent Browne tackles the toughest questions facing modern Ireland, debating both the main issues of the day and contemporary moral dilemmas."/>
          </Descriptor>
        </EventID>
      </DVB-T_Europe_722>

The fact that RedBee don't see an issue with the inconsistent data TV3 were giving them last week and possibly earlier and that the Programme CRID data is unchanged from night to night is somewhat concerning. Normal sanity checks on the data should be being done by someone in the chain!

Now, who do I send the invoice for EIT analysis to? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sol star

Hi again,
    Thanks for the info/opinion.
    I know that this is slightly off-topic and maybe this story has done the rounds already, but I thought that itmight be of interest.
    http://www.digitalspy.ie/tech/news/a456778/freeview-could-get-ten-more-hd-channels-under-ofcom-proposal.html
    It's disappointing that the Walker pvr does not allow for the transfer of recordings. As regards the new Panasonic rangedue out soon, currently, you can transfer recordings from the DMR-HW120/HW220to another device but I wonder if that will be the case with the new machines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Finally got one of these two weeks ago, at the reduced price.
    Get a dialogue box with 'Service list has been updated' every time it starts up which is slightly annoying.
    UI isn't as good as a Humax but is way better than the Triax Saorview box I have.
    No problems so far with recordings or playback.

Connected up the ethernet port earlier today - RTE Player trial works on the box! Press green, red, green to start it. It's not obvious how to exit, but pressing TV/Radio or channel up or down worked for me.

Picture on RTE Player is letterboxed (at least on Scart, haven't tested HDMI) but not as badly as on some smart TVs which have RTE Player. Hopefully this is something that will soon be sorted out, they're clearly still working on this and it's not the finished article.

One slight 'gotcha' with the box is that in low power standby it won't pass the UHF signal through the antenna out socket. That just meant I had to feed it from the Sky box instead of vice versa, as the Sky box is also feeding UHF (and a satellite channel) to another Saorview TV. If I had a Saorview TV as my main TV this would be pretty annoying as it would mean I couldn't watch TV unless the Walker box is turned on.

Edit: also it runs a bit hot after being left on for a few hours, but at the moment it's resting on top of a Freesat box :o I'm going to have to put in another shelf in the TV unit so it can run cooler.
    I thought the red LEDs would be annoying, but the box is a lot smaller than it looks in photographs so the LEDs are smaller too - not really obtrusive and they go off in standby, rather than showing the time or something.

The 'info' display is unnecessarily large, especially on a big TV. It takes up the lower third of the screen and is 100% opaque, I'd prefer if it was smaller, partially transparent and if I could set a shorter timeout for it to disappear. Again the Humax has got this right.

Some parts of the UI show a bit of interlace flicker on a CRT TV.

Slightly oddly (and unlike the Triax box and our other Saorview TV) it prefers Three Rock over Kippure even though Kippure is the stronger signal here. Doesn't really matter as you could get Saorview on the proverbial piece of wet string here.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement