Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview PVR Box has arrived.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,516 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

TV Trade has the Walker PVR now for €220 delivered - http://www.tvtrade.ie/saorview-pvr.html

My brother bought one last week in Powercity for €219.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

The Cush wrote: »
    No direct mention that I can see in the manual either but newleaf did post (#148) that in an email from Walker it is DVB-T2 compatible.

A few of the graphics in the manual show channels such as BBC R&D HD3 and HD4, five HD Trial, ITV HD Trial, from the DVB-T2 testing back in 2009 probably (not a direct indication I know).

According to TV Trade it has a T2 tuner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9K5yz5YNoc

Peddyr wrote: »

Confirmed by Walker in an email previously also.
    newleaf wrote: »
    Got an email from Walker today to say that the unit has T2 compatibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

The Cush wrote: »
    No direct mention that I can see in the manual either but newleaf did post (#148) that in an email from Walker it is DVB-T2 compatible.

A few of the graphics in the manual show channels such as BBC R&D HD3 and HD4, five HD Trial, ITV HD Trial, from the DVB-T2 testing back in 2009 probably (not a direct indication I know).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9K5yz5YNoc

The manual mentions 32K FFT under "demodulation". This is only used with T2.

The manual mentions 32K FFT under "demodulation". This is only used with T2.

Of course but no mention of 256QAM or DVB-T2.

The manual looks a bit rushed, spelling mistakes e.g. back cover "Rebuplic of Ireland", screenshots of UK and German DTT etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

zg3409 wrote: »
    Not tested yet. I found no option to re-order any channels. You can delete channels and rename them. You can also set up favourites.

Regarding the humax etc there is a time setting with auto, manual, GMT, GMT-1 etc and it says in the manual it can handle summer winter time adjustments. This may or may not be useful with the expected time display problems of any combined UK and ROI recording receiver. Other receivers have shown the wrong time in the past. It may not be possible to fully test all the time issues until summertime.

Any update if this box will work with both Saorview & Freeview HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭zg3409

doney84 wrote: »
    Any update if this box will work with both Saorview & Freeview HD?

Not yet. I thought I would be able to test where I am, but it will be Saturday evening at the earliest before I can test with both NI and ROI signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Bought the new Walker PVR last week in Powercity and happy with it but noticed an issue
    Trying to build up a library of kiddies cartoons etc and when I saved one episode of Peppa Pig (from RTE Jnr) it would not allow me to save another episode because it said it was saved already in the library
    So my question is, do we have an issue or is it to do with how the EPG info is getting coded by RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭newleaf

OO7FITZY wrote: »
    Bought the new Walker PVR last week in Powercity and happy with it but noticed an issue
    Trying to build up a library of kiddies cartoons etc and when I saved one episode of Peppa Pig (from RTE Jnr) it would not allow me to save another episode because it said it was saved already in the library
    So my question is, do we have an issue or is it to do with how the EPG info is getting coded by RTE?

When you say 'saved' do you mean recorded from air on the PVR or archived to some external device?

Are you just using the box for Saorview or for Freeview/Freeview HD as well?

newleaf wrote: »
    When you say 'saved' do you mean recorded from air on the PVR or archived to some external device?

Are you just using the box for Saorview or for Freeview/Freeview HD as well?

Yes, recorded from air on the PVR ie the internal HDD
    I am only using the box for Saorview
    If this is a bug with the box then it's a bit of a shocker to be honest
    Interested to hear other people's thoughts?

• Advertisement

Yes, recorded from air on the PVR ie the internal HDD
    I am only using the box for Saorview
    If this is a bug with the box then it's a bit of a shocker to be honest
    Interested to hear other people's thoughts?

Can you explain EXACTLY every step you took. I will try to replicate tomorrow.

So did you select one episode of Peppa Pig from the EPG, select it and NOT select record series link, just record one episode?

Then did you select a different episode (are you 100% sure it was a different episode and not a repeat?) and then what did the error display?

Was the other episode on the same day or a different day?

Can you replicate the fault yourself with any other shows?

Can you explain EXACTLY every step you took. I will try to replicate tomorrow.

So did you select one episode of Peppa Pig from the EPG, select it and NOT select record series link, just record one episode?

Then did you select a different episode (are you 100% sure it was a different episode and not a repeat?) and then what did the error display?

Was the other episode on the same day or a different day?

Can you replicate the fault yourself with any other shows?

I selected one episode of Peppa Pig from both the EPG and also just pressing the record button - I did not get the option to series link - just the comment that it already exists in the library - no options to go elsewhere

sure it was a different episode and not a repeat as I tried over the weekend on a few occasions

Will try do it with another show if I get a chance this week

On a separate issue - everytime I attempt to log into boards it will not recognise my password so I have to do a reset - Anyone else having this issue?

I selected one episode of Peppa Pig from both the EPG and also just pressing the record button - I did not get the option to series link

The proper/best way to Record is to press EPG button. Then move the cursor to the show you want to record. Then press the OK button on the remote. You then get 3 Options

1. Record
    2. Select Channel
    3. Record the series

After selecting record series it asks how many episodes or all episodes.
    This should then record all future episodes automatically

Series link is only available on RTE1+1 and RTE Jnr shows at the moment until Feb 1st when it should be on all Saorview channels. (update see post below)

I have not tested the Peppa Pig issue.

Series link is only available on RTE1+1 and RTE Jnr shows at the moment until Feb 1st when it should be on all Saorview channels.

According to 2 posts here series link is up and running on the 4 main channels since last week.

Hi all,

I have completed the first phase of testing the new box in with a signal from Northern Ireland and a signal from Saorview at the same time.

In quick summary it works great with no issues found.

The main reason for this testing is that the system up the North is slightly different, and may cause issues, depending on the box and how it handles things. Freeview & Saorview at the same time is not part of the testing procedure for ROI nor UK.

The setup was an aerial that picked up Saorview and Freeview. The freeview signal was from the North, and consisted of two multiplexes, PSB1 (BBC etc) and PSB2 (UTV etc). It did not detect the DVB-T2 mux, but that is probably just a weak signal problem. I hope to test a stronger DVB-T2 signal in the coming weeks.

238523.JPG

There are options during initial setup, UK and ROI. I tested both options but ROI was used most. The only differences between both options I could see was channel lineup.

As expected when UK is selected all Saorview channels appear on numbers 800 upwards. The UK channels appear in their expected numbers from 1 upwards. The Saorview channels seem to be ordered from 800 upwards in alphabetical order (3E first, then RTE, then TV3 etc), however I noticed it is not strictly fully alphanumeric, as all characters don't seem to be checked. It may also be using something else to order them such as order received or order in multiplex. An annoying problem in UK mode is also the Saorview Radio stations are interspersed with the TV stations. It is possible to delete channels, but not resort them. Also the channel guide can be setup to only view TV stations.

When ROI is selected the lineup is better. All the Saorview stations are at the start, in their usual order, immediately followed by the UK stations with no jump to 800. Also the radio stations are not interspersed.

238521.JPG

When you select EPG, not all information appears instantly (at least after initial powerup), however without selecting channels on different muxes, the information shortly updates for every channel. After that when you return to the guide, the information is already there. Seamlessly the information is there for all channels 7 days into the future.

Series linking works perfectly on all UK and ROI channels You can record any two channels on any two Muxes at the same time. You can also watch any channel on any of these two Muxes at the same time (better than a Sky + box). If you attempt to watch a channel on a third mux, an error is displayed. This is perfectly normal, as the box only has two tuners (like all/most + boxes) and so it can only receive two muxes at the one time.

238520.JPG

To fully test possible problems, which happen with other boxes, I put the box to sleep, and tested to see if it would properly wake up and record various muxes, various shows from Saorview and Freeview and if any recordings would fail or be missed. This can happen on other receivers, especially single tuner models, as it can only get information from one system at a time, and so struggles to know when shows are about to start and awake at the correct time. I could find no faults or problems, however more testing is needed.

In general it would be important to test if having been only used for Freeview recording on two NI muxes for say 2 or 3 weeks that it can wake up to record the next episode of a Saorview show that may have been on a break for the summer. It would be important that the box does update the Saorview guide regularly so it knows when shows are starting. However it does hint at this in the user manual, where it mentions it comes out of sleep every now and then to check the EPG.

Times
    There have been problems with other boxes not displaying the correct times. This is because Saorview and Freeview handle times differently. I could find no fault, but it may be only during "summertime" that any fault appears. During wintertime the time seems OK, even if the TV is installed as UK or ROI or the TV is booted up with a Saorview or a Freeview channel last used. This is not the case for other boxes.

In General
    I never connected a network (computer/internet) cable so I have not tested these options. I suspect there is no software to do anything at this stage and there may never be.

In General
    A slightly annoying quirk, is that every time a recording is about to start, a message appears on screen "a recording is about to start, you will not be able to watch this channel, press OK to continue or cancel to cancel the recording" This should not need to be displayed if you are on the same mux as the recording, or if only one recording is taking place, as you can still watch your channel. If you select "OK" you are taken to the channel about to start recording. This is quite annoying as 99% of the time you can simply go back to the other channel you were watching, and continue watching the show. The "trick" to preventing madness is, after reading the message, to look at the LED display on the front of the box (the channel number), press OK, then go back to the channel you were just on. If you select OK, and don't know the channel number, it's a pain to go hunting for the show you have been watching. I would recommend to the manufacturers to rename this display box to "A recording is about to start, press OK to view the recording, press cancel to cancel the recording. If two recordings are taking place on different muxes you may only be able to view limited channels" It would be then nice if it returned you to the channel you have been watching, if possible. A simple firmware fix could make the box more user friendly.

In General
    The red LED display on the front is bright and clear, if a bit "80s" It's slightly annoying all leading zeros are displayed so RTE1 becomes 0001 instead of 1. I could find no option to turn it off, nor the red "sleep" LED so if using it in a bedroom cover it with tape.

The general impression was the box is quite small and very useful. The remote is very flat so not as easy to use in the dark compared to a Sky remote. Fast forward is to the right of pause, so when speeding through ads, I often paused it afterwards instead of pressing play.
    The power supply (wall adapter) is quite small and supplied DC to the box. However it needs lots of room below the socket as it fits below the socket. This is fine in newer houses but in older houses where the AC socket is on the skirting board an AC extension lead is needed.

Overall it seems to be a big step up for those in "4 channel land" and especially for those living in border areas.

For those relying on Satellite for the UK channels, this box would need to be combined with a FreeSAT+HD box, meaning a 2 or 3 remote option. A universal remote may solve this, but may still be fiddly to use. It would be good for someone to try this out.

As with any PVR, they get hot, so mount them in a well ventilated space, make sure they are horizontal. Even when not recording they still record continously to the hard drive in case you want to pause or rewind live TV. For this reason do not plug out or move the unit while powered up and the green light is on. To plug out, turn unit to standby and WAIT 3 MINUTES for a red light on the display, then plug out. Normally it is recommended to leave it plugged in all the time so it can update the TV guide. It has very slow standby power consumption.

I would like help from others to do more testing. In particular I would like to hear from someone in the Dublin area with DVB-T2 BBC HD reception from Wales or Northern Ireland(even as far south as Arklow). All I would like to do is test the box for compatability, a 5 minute job. Please send me PM

Also I would like someone in an overspill area from NI or Wales to perform longer term testing of the box over months or years, so try and pick up any issues of incompatability. To support this I am willing to loan my box (with a fully refundable deposit of 200 Euro) to someone who wants to continue the testing. If you want to keep the box afterwards that's fine.

Also I would love someone in a border area, who also has a Freeview+ box (like the humax) and has noticed the problems with time display/missed recordings etc to offer to compare the two boxes. I would like to know which is best from a user perspective, in border areas, a Freeview+ box or the new Saorview + box.

It should also be noted that there should be other makes of Saorview + boxes on the market in the coming years. These will meet Saorview + specification but border area operation would need to be tested by us.

If anyone would like me to test anything else let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Thanks for the review zg3409!

No Freeview HD sounds ominous. I'd expect the signal to be coming in as strong as PSB1 and PSB2.

What sort of readings for signal quality are you getting?

The 'recording is about to start message' sounds more than annoying if it happens unnecessarily.

sesswhat wrote: »
    No Freeview HD sounds ominous. I'd expect the signal to be coming in as strong as PSB1 and PSB2.
    I think it is a signal issue. The transmitter I think is here:
    http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=IJ281180
    BBCHD is a higher bit rate, which would make picking it up harder. It's on the same frequency as Mount Leinster Mux2 also. In addition I was picking it up from a parked car, with the aerial mounted on the fence of a field and not pointed. I was getting breakup on some channels, and there was hurricane winds.
    The 'recording is about to start message' sounds more than annoying if it happens unnecessarily.
    Yes it happens if only one item is about to record, which is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

In addition I was picking it up from a parked car, with the aerial mounted on the fence of a field and not pointed. I was getting breakup on some channels, and there was hurricane winds.

At least when it comes to stability on the passenger seat, you can't beat an old CRT :)

I have been told the recording message is a fault and will be fixed in future. It seems to only happen when a recording starts on the same Mux being watched, which in the case of saorview is every time. It did not happen on older revisions of the software.

The fault is logged here for the UK software:
    http://pvrbugs.futaura.co.uk/view.php?id=340

It seems as if the user manual was written by this guy:
    238616.JPG

Here is the front logos
    238612.JPG
    238613.JPG

Note that the Irish version DOES NOT have a USB port on the front, just the rear.

Here is a label from the bottom that confirms it's the newest model T7660

238608.JPG

and here is a photo of the large desktop sized hard drive

238614.JPG

In future postings I will attach photos of the inside. If interested click on the attachment to view.

Hard Drive and Main board showing 16MB

• Advertisement

Main board Overview

Chip Details

Optional parts not fitted

Final photos of inside

Here is an image of the remote. Note it is slightly different that other versions of this box being totally flat and the layout of the buttons etc. As I said having pause next to fast foward was annoying to me in the dark. Also I sometimes hit stop instead of fast forward. Some other models have play/pause as one button.

I have ordered a programmable universal remote compatable with a humax foxsat HDR to see how well it would work in a combined FreeSat+ and Saorview+ setup. I can't park up the mountains to record all my UK shows off air from the north!
    238646.JPG
    I have not tested the Peppa Pig issue.

So I let the pigs fly tonight (cannot test daytime)

I manually selected Peppa Pig for 9:45am to record one episode:
    238647.JPG

The next time it was on was in the afternoon:
    238648.JPG

and the error appeared when I went to record this episode:

238649.JPG
    However if you look closely at the description both shows are identical. (shows the following day are different). I assume the box is correct, the afternoon show is an exact repeat of the morning show, so the box is not faulty

I was able to record the next days show manually without the error appearing. I could see the scheduled recordings in the timers menu. So I think it was just a mix up.

238650.JPG

It is better to set series link and let it worry about this, rather than manually selecting every episode. I'm off to have my pork dinner now ;)

I have been told the recording message is a fault and will be fixed in future. It seems to only happen when a recording starts on the same Mux being watched, which in the case of saorview is every time. It did not happen on older revisions of the software.

The fault is logged here for the UK software:
    http://pvrbugs.futaura.co.uk/view.php?id=340

It seems as if the user manual was written by this guy:
    238616.JPG

Here is the front logos
    238612.JPG
    238613.JPG

Note that the Irish version DOES NOT have a USB port on the front, just the rear.

Here is a label from the bottom that confirms it's the newest model T7660

238608.JPG

and here is a photo of the large desktop sized hard drive

238614.JPG

In future postings I will attach photos of the inside. If interested click on the attachment to view.

The UK Freeview HD+ equivalent of this box comes with a 1TB HDD for the same price at £180...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The UK Freeview HD+ equivalent of this box comes with a 1TB HDD for the same price at £180...

They are not the same box, but are very near.

Irish Box T7660. UK Box T7650.

Irish Vestel box has various Country profile settings which loads the software for that country, which means that they have its submitted for Freeview HD Certification with DTG and Nordic (which I think is Terracom anyway). Very clever what Cabot have done here, software wise.

@zg3409. Thanks for all the photos. I love this stuff!

btw I think the sticker **Saniye** is just a sticker that says Second Test.

STB wrote: »
    They are not the same box, but are very near.

Irish Box T7660. UK Box T7650.

Irish Vestel box has various Country profile settings which loads the software for that country, which means that they have its submitted for Freeview HD Certification with DTG and Nordic (which I think is Terracom anyway). Very clever what Cabot have done here, software wise.

@zg3409. Thanks for all the photos. I love this stuff!

btw I think the sticker **Saniye** is just a sticker that says Second Test.

Thanks for the clarification STB. Pity it doesn't have the bigger HDD though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Thanks for the clarification STB. Pity it doesn't have the bigger HDD though.

No worries. I had speculated that they would base it on the UK model alright earlier in the thread. Thing with the UK box is that I think it only has profile setup settings for Nordic or Freeview HD, whereas the new Walker one has Freeview HD, Saorview and Nordic Profile choices at setup which means you can choose one which suits you best settings wise. It also means Vestel only need produce 1 box for all markets. A new departure and welcome move which I am sure is a move to bring the production run up and retail cost down.

Lets see if Walker target the UK with it.

@ZG did you notice any BBCiplayer options with UK setup ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

I think it is a signal issue. The transmitter I think is here:
    http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=IJ281180
    BBCHD is a higher bit rate, which would make picking it up harder. It's on the same frequency as Mount Leinster Mux2 also.

In the right (or wrong) area, you might get enough of the NImux from Black Mountain (co-channel but opposite polarity) to cause problems for Kilkeel HD.

Advertisement