Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview PVR Box has arrived.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    In the right (or wrong) area, you might get enough of the NImux from Black Mountain (co-channel but opposite polarity) to cause problems for Kilkeel HD.

I can't get BM NIMM which should fairly belt into my location @ 1000w because of Kilkeel HD CCI @ 400w. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭zg3409

STB wrote: »
    @ZG did you notice any BBCiplayer options with UK setup ?
    Haven't tested anything on this yet. Might get a chance later in the week. It gives an error during installation if no network lead detected, and it says network options will be unavailable. Nothing in the menu after this.

BREAKING NEWS

THIS BOX DOES NOT HAVE A DVB-T2 Tuner

I was a little worried I could not pick up the DVB-T2 stations from the North. After taking photos of the inside, the model of the demodulator chip was different to the UK models (DVB-T only), and then it was confirmed indirectly by Vestel that this model is for the ROI market only and cannot decode DVB-T2. I have been in contact with Walker, and they are going to confirm directly with Vestel, but the chip is an older obsolete model not capable of DVB-T2

Some of the discussion about this is on this thread:
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1204693&page=12 (scroll half way down, and subsequent pages)

So based on this I am 99.999% sure it will not decode any HD channels from Northern Ireland/Wales.

As a result I CANNOT RECOMMEND this box anywhere you may pick up UK overspill. From a Northern Ireland user perspective this box is also obsolete.

It will not pick up:
    BBC One HD Northern Ireland,
    BBC HD,
    UTV HD
    Channel 4 HD
    The Space,
    NI Minimux

When I get definite confirmation from Walker I will update. For the moment don't buy it for NI or overspill use. Other recording boxes with T2 tuners may work better.

It will work fine in Saorview only areas. It's a shame. Luckily I intend only using it for Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭doney84

Thought all Saorview equipment from 2013 had to be T2 ??? :mad:

doney84 wrote: »
    Thought all Saorview equipment from 2013 had to be T2 ??? :mad:
    This was approved in 2012 so no, it does not need to be. Any boxes sent for approval from now on need to have T2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

It is an overpriced piece of obsolete j*** or at least it will be very soon and it is useless for Freeview HD. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 peterwhit

zg3409 wrote: »
    This was approved in 2012 so no, it does not need to be. Any boxes sent for approval from now on need to have T2

You're right, but it's perverse. Box first available for sale in Jan '13 is Saorview approved, but not to the current spec!

there should be Saorview'12 and Saorview'13 labels on the boxes, no?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Yet another disapointment from Saorview.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I had a query about looking at the progam info during playback. On the humax it has trouble showing program info from Saorview during playback. Both subtitles and the info bar work fine during playback on the walker. See attached.

I checked the network connection. No extra options appears when UK or Ireland is selected during installation, so it seems to do nothing except display an IP address.

It has a handy feature in the install menu for displaying detailed signal information. It only seems to show the last channel selected, and the feature is not available during manual nor auto installation nor is it posisible to change frequency/channel easily while this tool is in use.

238792.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭newleaf

ZG 3409 Congrats on the fine work you've done with the new Walker Saorview PVR box. It's probably irrelevant now but I'm in Arklow, getting Freeview HD most of time (more weather dependent than Freeview!) and you're welcome to check it out down here anytime. PM sent. Walker told me it had T2 capability, but your research seems to indicate otherwise.
    Looks like Freeview HD boxes from UK (like my Icecrypt) are still the best bet, it's a relatively minor problem to put up with Saorview in the 800s.
    Some are rumouring a new Panasonic recorder for 2013, but it may not have Freeview HD, or Saorview approval, or a scart socket, or DVD archiving! Pity their BTW 720 model (Blu-Ray recorder with Freeview HD) has those sound issues when recordings archived to DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

BREAKING NEWS

THIS BOX DOES NOT HAVE A DVB-T2 Tuner

Are you sure ?

I thought Vestel used a multi-mode hybrid silicon tuner in all its new STBs.

Why does this have choices for other countries ? If it happens to have an option for Nordic countries like was discussed earlier in this thread it would be unusual (whilst not compulsory) that it wouldn't have hybrid DVB-T2 tuner hardware, demodulation chip and SOC. Vestels box design numbers are getting very confusing (the T7650 is both Freeview HD and Nordic profiles), but they have had similar chassis design for Ireland (with the UK) in past boxes with the tuners modules swapped out.

Surely Walker have the complete spec sheet. You shouldn't have to go through the board.

Are you sure ?
    Follow that link in the earlier message (to digital spy)and read the details. It seems as if the chip used in the Irish box is from the older UK SD box, instead of the DVB-T2 demodulator and vestel have indirectly confirmed this. I spent a few hours today researching this and it seems so.
    Why does this have choices for other countries ?
    In UK mode the EPG still has the Saorview logo, it does number in the 800s but no sign of any players etc. They may be planning to integrate software in the future, but this particular hardware can't do DVB-T. The board can take either chip.
    Vestels box design numbers are getting very confusing (the T7650 is both Freeview HD and Nordic profiles),
    It seems as if for this box they used a cheaper non DVB-T chip to save money, yet meet Saorview spec.
    Surely Walker have the complete spec sheet. You shouldn't have to go through the board.
    No comment

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mgc102

I had a query about looking at the progam info during playback. On the humax it has trouble showing program info from Saorview during playback. Both subtitles and the info bar work fine during playback on the walker. See attached.

See enclosed photos of Saorview information from Humax HDR-Fox T2.
    During live play of a show when you press the 'i' button twice you get the full program synopsis.

On the same show saved to the HDR when you play it back the information (apart from the program show and name is blank).

newleaf wrote: »
    I'm in Arklow, getting Freeview HD most of time (more weather dependent than Freeview!) and you're welcome to check it out down here anytime.

Thanks to newleaf we tested the box on a confirmed strong T2 signal, from Arfon, and it failed to notice the DVB-T2 signal even with manual tuning. Thanks again newleaf.

So I say again this does not seem to have a DVB-T2 tuner so should not be used in overspill or Nothern Ireland areas. It works fine on Saorview.

For those in overspill areas best to look towards other boxes and check before hand others experience in overspill areas.

Thanks to newleaf we tested the box on a confirmed strong T2 signal, from Arfon, and it failed to notice the DVB-T2 signal even with manual tuning. Thanks again newleaf.

So I say again this does not seem to have a DVB-T2 tuner so should not be used in overspill or Nothern Ireland areas. It works fine on Saorview.

For those in overspill areas best to look towards other boxes and check before hand others experience in overspill areas.

And it didn't matter whether we selected Irl or UK in setup - no Freeview HD either way! Oh well ...

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

I think that is a bit misleading advice about spillover areas - afaik there is nothing on Freeview HD that is not on SD, so users can still record all Freeview programs. Too much emphasis on HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I think that is a bit misleading advice about spillover areas - afaik there is nothing on Freeview HD that is not on SD, so users can still record all Freeview programs. Too much emphasis on HD.

I think you may have missed the point.

Regardless of those in overspill areas who wish HD rather than SD, people buying this box should be aware that DVB-T2 is now part of the Saorview spec and affects products certified from the start of 2013.

Some consumers dont like to buy twice, not that any of these boxes will last the 10-20 years it will possibly take for RTENL even contemplating DVB-T2.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

I think you may have missed the point.

Regardless of those in overspill areas who wish HD rather than SD, people buying this box should be aware that DVB-T2 is now part of the Saorview spec and affects products certified from the start of 2013.

Some consumers dont like to buy twice, not that any of these boxes will last the 10-20 years it will possibly take for RTENL even contemplating DVB-T2.

Why would they need to buy twice ? That would imply that everone who bought a Saorview TV or STB last year will also need to buy twice. Don't think that will be the case.
    I have a FV HD recorder myself, in a spillover area, but I would not discount this box on a T2 issue. It does not make sense to my mind.

In the north it will not pick up the Northern Ireland minimux (RTE1, RTE2, TG4, Radio NG) as well as "The Space". Also over time presumably all new channel launches will be T2 only. With 4G it is expected more and more transmitters will be forced to T2 as they want to sell the top frequencies for mobile phone use.

There are other boxes that have DVB-T2 and dual tuner and combined EPG. There will also be other Saorview approved PVR's along at some stage some year. If I was living in an overspill or NI and I was spending €200+ on a PVR I would buy one that had T2 and had been proven to work in overspill areas with series link etc.

Freeview HD (aka T2) was started in earnest in March 2010. Non T2 is 2002 technology and in T2 areas it is obsolete.

So yes it may work to some extent, not enough to recommend it over other boxes. I would not have minded non T2 if the box was sold as such. It's the mix up and mis-information that needs correcting. No official response from Walker yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

Too much on freeview as well..

How does this box work for 90% of customers down south looking at possibly getting rid of SKY but would love a Saorview Recorder.

In Fairness the thread so far has generally been populated by those in Border Regions or other complaining about lack of T2 or this and that. My Sky Box is 7 years old but still records Perfectly and that old box has no HD (or whatever fancy technical name).

Just looking at ditching SKY.

Already have Freesat.

Sorry but keeping it simple, will it record Saorview and how does it Perform now that series link should be working?

It works fine for Saorview as I have said about 3 times now. Series link works perfectly.

There is a slight glitch that should be rectified next software update as mentioned a few pages back.

As said the display on the front is a bit "80s" but works great. I have found it very useful. More fancy models may be launched in coming years by other manufacturers. but no-one knows when.

The hard drive size "500GB" is way more than enough for Saorview only use. You would struggle to fill it after 2 or 3 years.

I am testing a universal remote to work this box, a freesat box, and the TV.

Can see your point, but the visual quality of Freeview HD is worth getting if it's available. Also, I'm in Co. Wicklow, and sometimes a programme I want to watch on BBC or ITV is bumped off by Welsh programmes, but by switching to HD version of that channel, which is less regionalised, I can see the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

Tks zg. It sounds like its working alot better than the other saorview PVR,s but as said before this is the 1st true Hard Disk Drive PVR. Ill be buying shortly, sounds like just what I need to finally ditch sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Hi all. Will this box be compatible with the RTÉ Player when it's launched on Saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

thats a fair question... The user manual clearly states that the "internet" button on the remote control is not in use.
    There may well be a firmware upgrade that includes RTE Player and bug-fixes -> the one about the annoying popup whenever a recording starts really needs to be fixed.

Anyone with the box confirm if there has been any firmware updates so far? Also, is series link fully working on all channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Also, can you set Recordings to start & end at 5/10 min/auto like u can on UPC & Sky+ boxes?

For example, I have UPC and set all my recordings to start 5 mins early and 10 mins later than the prog is scheduled for in the settings menu

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

You shouls not have to set an extra lea time on recordings as if you use the series link it will follow any time shift in the programme time. I do this on my Humax box and it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Could someone put Vincent Browne on Series Link on this box if they have a free minute and see if it successfully records subsequent programmes following the initial one that series link is selected on?

Issue here with that specific show on Series Link. Selected series link on last night's (Monday) show but it didn't record tonight. The yellow outline isn't showing on future shows. When I try to record one of them I only have the option to delete the series.

Would appreciate if someone could test this out too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,434 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just like Sky or Freesat, you have to rely on the broadcasters to get it right

- Correctly flag the start/end of a show. Often lose the last couple of minutes on Channel 4 recordings on Freesat because they flag the start of the programme as when the credits rolled on the prevous one. I've never seen the BBC get this wrong.

- Correctly implement series link. Series link fails on Freesat when Match of the Day 2 moves between BBC1 and BBC2 from week to week, but the system is probably not designed to be able to cope with channel changes. The odd time, a programme that is supposed to be series linked and is on the same channel is just not picked up on Freesat series link

- Correctly deal with schedule changes e.g. extra time in a sports fixture delaying later programmes.

Whatever about the first two, there's little hope of RTE implementing the third one correctly, any time a programme is delayed or changed they never update the EPG.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement