Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Sergeant can't afford food

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

According to author Kathy Sheridans post a while ago in the thread on the IT site they get 92 euro a week in child benefit, does that give an idea how many kids they have?
    There's something not right about this story...

A Quote from above mentioned post of Katy Sheridan

"The sergeant earned €75,000 last year. Since then, between cuts and overtime abolition, his take home pay is back at around €710 a week, plus child benefit of €92, according to Mabs."

I think someone definitely has been telling porkies, either mabs, the 'victim' or the journalist :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭greecy_joe

mhge wrote: »
    Point taken! Earns, not takes home of course.

another union tutored trick which so many public servants employ

quoting and refering to NET pay instead of gross , everyone else knows that NET pay is irrelevant , its GROSS and nothing else , wayne rooney may only take home 120 k per week but the sports pages refer to his 220 k per week wage packet , maybe he should star paying dues to siptu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

There sure are some bitter bitter people on these forums, wouldnt it be great if you could flick a switch and see the poster through your screen, many would turn and run a mile in shame with their cover blown, keyboard warriers and full of ****e. We shout about how great the Irish are but this recession is starting to confirm to me that we're 60% scumbags and begrudgers. Guess which bracket are paying the tax for the other bracket!

begrudgers, that's it. we are all jealous, oh wait... no we aren't. What are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Boombastic wrote: »
    A Quote from above mentioned post of Katy Sheridan

"The sergeant earned €75,000 last year. Since then, between cuts and overtime abolition, his take home pay is back at around €710 a week, plus child benefit of €92, according to Mabs."

I think someone definitely has been telling porkies, either mabs, the 'victim' or the journalist :pac:

I think it's child benefit for three children (€140+€140+€148) divided by 4+ weeks. Depending on an actual age of the eldest who goes to college they have three or four children.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

greecy_joe wrote: »
    another union tutored trick which so many public servants employ

quoting and refering to NET pay instead of gross , everyone else knows that NET pay is irrelevant , its GROSS and nothing else , wayne rooney may only take home 120 k per week but the sports pages refer to his 220 k per week wage packet , maybe he should star paying dues to siptu

Instead of being bitter with the Public Sector maybe you should have tried joining them. Sour grapes written over all your posts -- all 18 of them. That is bitter to me and i'm not even in the Public Sector. I think the divide and conquer tactics are working though as there are many gullible people buying into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Pubic servant struggling = no sympathy, Actor struggling = poor man

The actor guy stealing food from the shop on whinging to Joe Duffy started stuttering when asked about drinking wine, if he has to steal food he shouldn't be drinking at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

woodoo wrote: »

The actor guy stealing food from the shop on whinging to Joe Duffy started stuttering when asked about drinking wine, if he has to steal food he shouldn't be drinking at all.

Another invention of Joe's i'd say.
    New story created everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

ilovesleep wrote: »
    How long ago was it since you went to college?

4/5 years ago maybe it was possible to pick up a part time job but nowdays jobs are hard to come by and few and far between. And tesco shelf stacking internships! taking real paying jobs out from the economy. How the hell can a student compete against that. My sister went back to collage about two years ago. She knew in advance she wanted that and she saved in advance. She was hoping to get work but she was unable to and she was living in a city. She had to live off her savings. She lived of 150 a week - rent, bills, 20 euro food in aldi.
    She had the opportunity to save. A school leave does not. Even if they were to take a year off after school in the hope that they get work, they may not get work. Fcuk, they may not even get unemployment assistance depending on his her parents.

To some degree the state are responsible for this. The government of the time were egging people on that all was fine and dandy and many people went with it and many probably never saved for theirs third level thinking that free third level will always be there.

I didn't really have a traditional job during college, so your point isn't really relevant. I never worked in a bar or stacked shelves. I made a bit of money proofreading and correcting other students' essays and teaching English to foreign students (which I'm sure this woman's kid could do if they're such a 'high flyer'). However, most of my college funding was from student loans I'm now paying back. Why can't this woman's kid take out loans? Why is he/she expecting the parents to pay for everything?

I just don't get the sense of entitlement a lot of Irish people seem to have. I've been paying my own way since I was 18. I've had plenty of health issues and other problems which make my life difficult, I was made redundant when the economy started going down the sh1tter. I've still never been unemployed for longer than a week and never received a penny from the government. I know it isn't that simple for everyone, but I was brought up to believe that I had to support myself.

I logged onto Facebook tonight and a woman who has been on the dole in the UK for about 10 years and lives in a council house is giving out because 'they' (the council) haven't fixed something in her house. Going on about how disgraceful that is and how she shouldn't be living like that. So she's not working, she has all day free, she's fortunate enough to have been supported by the state for years and it's too much trouble to go buy a hammer and a few nails and fix something in HER OWN DAMN HOUSE? :confused: Why do so many people in the UK and Ireland just expect to be looked after? Able-bodied people who were educated to at least secondary level who can barely wipe their own arses? It's all about 'they' and 'them'. :confused:

No one sensible had sympathy for that idiot on Joe Duffy, he had a gym membership and a car, and a new show coming out:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Joe asked him him if they couldn't even afford one cheap bottle of wine a week when Joe( actor) said they don't drink at all now. He didn't stutter at all, your point is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Its a pre budget spin story....cue all the other guards, teachers, nurses, soldiers etc reading that and getting all flustered about more cuts.

While they read it on their iphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

There sure are some bitter bitter people on these forums, wouldnt it be great if you could flick a switch and see the poster through your screen, many would turn and run a mile in shame with their cover blown, keyboard warriers and full of ****e. We shout about how great the Irish are but this recession is starting to confirm to me that we're 60% scumbags and begrudgers. Guess which bracket are paying the tax for the other bracket!

Jesus, STFU.

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I just don't get the sense of entitlement a lot of Irish people seem to have. I've been paying my own way since I was 18. I've had plenty of health issues and other problems which make my life difficult, I was made redundant when the economy started going down the sh1tter. I've still never been unemployed for longer than a week and never received a penny from the government. I know it isn't that simple for everyone, but I was brought up to believe that I had to support myself.

I logged onto Facebook tonight and a woman who has been on the dole in the UK for about 10 years and lives in a council house is giving out because 'they' (the council) haven't fixed something in her house.

Hmmm, you start by talking about Irish people's sense of entitlement, then give an example of a woman in the UK? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I still find it hard to believe all this story.

I think there must be something we ain't being told. Drink habit, drug habit, gambling habit?

Or loans that they aren't letting on about.

I wonder how much their Sky TV bill is every month?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Hmmm, you start by talking about Irish people's sense of entitlement, then give an example of a woman in the UK? :confused:

UK and Ireland. Same welfare culture.

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    UK and Ireland. Same welfare culture.

It was still meandering. You'll find freeloaders like this in every country. We're nothing compared to France when it come to entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Whats with this begrudge aspect that people come out here?. I don't begrudge Mr Sargeant and his wife earning 75,000 a year, I'm just curious what their point is?, does he think we should pay our Sargeant 100,000 a year. If so what should we then pay guards, 65,000?. Genuinely, how much should he be paid to avoid his family having to eat cornflakes for the day?.
    The country is broke, we pay out more than we take in.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I still find it hard to believe all this story.

I think there must be something we ain't being told. Drink habit, drug habit, gambling habit?

Or loans that they aren't letting on about.

I wonder how much their Sky TV bill is every month?

my guess is they have mortages on several homes , a close relative of mine works for a law firm which does a lot of work for guards, a lot of them are in trouble with debts via buy to let properties

Whats with this begrudge aspect that people come out here?. I don't begrudge Mr Sargeant and his wife earning 75,000 a year, I'm just curious what their point is?, does he think we should pay our Sargeant 100,000 a year. If so what should we then pay guards, 65,000?. Genuinely, how much should he be paid to avoid his family having to eat cornflakes for the day?.
    The country is broke, we pay out more than we take in.

Exactly! Good luck to anyone earning good money. But WHERE is that money going if they are struggling?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You could well be right Greecy Joe.

The numbers don't add up for me, there's something else which wasn't told as it wouldn't make the story sound as shocking.

If the story has "and we have 2 rental properties too" then it would not have been published.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

angeline wrote: »
    30K a year means you are on the lower tax band. For people earning around €55 grand and on the higher tax band, a lot of money is eaten up by tax and pension levies, etc.

So, you believe this guy is paying over 45K in tax??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

I agree. We're not hearing about the rental properties.

What a whingey bird moaning about ther situation while being selective with the truth. If they actually exist, I'd say yer man is a laughing stock down the station.

I agree. We're not hearing about the rental properties.

What a whingey bird moaning about ther situation while being selective with the truth. If they actually exist, I'd say yer man is a laughing stock down the station.

no , if their is one thing guards are good at , its sticking together , especially when it comes to defending what they have

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭MvsC3

Seriously... 65k a year and cant afford food! He has to be doing something else with his mega cash, I earn barely 28k (until my contract ends in feb..gulp) and wife has €82 weekly jsa, with one child and €860 monthly mortgage, with two personal loans totaling €700pm (bastrd boiler) we can still get food, maybe not tasty food but food none the less, he just needs to cut back.. hard, I booted out sky, eircom, and will only really go out for special occasions like christenings and weddings. God,.. imagine 65k a year... but i suppose its all relevant...65k...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

no sympathy for garda sargents from me. They can retire on full golden pension after only 30 years "service". One I know in his early fifties spends half his time at his holiday home in the sun, playing golf. During his working life he hardly starved.....hads a great standard of living and was not a hard worker. The average retiring guard has a pension pot worth over a million euro if you were to buy it in the private sector.
    The sense of entitlement and arrogance from some public servants is astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Japer wrote: »
    no sympathy for garda sargents from me. They can retire on full golden pension after only 30 years "service". One I know in his early fifties spends half his time at his holiday home in the sun, playing golf. During his working life he hardly starved.....hads a great standard of living and was not a hard worker. The average retiring guard has a pension pot worth over a million euro if you were to buy it in the private sector.

The sense of jealousy and begrudgery from some people is also astounding..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Japer wrote: »

What about their pension that they could use to buy 2 apartments. You used to rave about that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Code___Description________________Levy___Apr09 /annum.___Apr09 /week

*400___Rent Allowance____________________Yes___€4229.00___€0.00
    402___Boot Allowance____________________No___Xxx___€2.93
    403___Uniform Allowance G/S____________________No___€0.00___€4.39
    404___Uniform Officers____________________No___€888.82___€0.00
    405___Uniform Initial Grant____________________No___285.7(Once Off)___€0.00
    406___Uniform Varied Allowance_______________No___€704.70___€0.00
    409___Detective Allowance____________________No___€0.00___€30.90
    410___Juvenile Liaison Officer____________________No___€0.00___€30.90
    411___Clerical Allowance____________________Yes___€5033.00___€0.00
    412___Clerical Temp/Ex-Gratia_______________Yes___€5033.00___€0.00
    413___Plain Clothes - Garda/Sgt______________No___Xxx___€12.21
    414___Plain Clothes - Inspector______________No___Xxx___€13.92
    415___Plain Clothes Super & C/Super__________No___Xxx___€15.45
    416___Ministers Pool________________________Yes___40% Salary___€0.00
    419___Psv Allowance_________________________Yes___€5126.00___€0.00
    420___Dog Handler____________________________Yes___Xxx___€56.21
    421___Transport Allowance____________________Yes___€534.00___€0.00
    422___Transport Temporary____________________Yes___0.22 Per Hour___€0.00
    423___Bicycle Allowance_______________________No___Xxx___€2.77
    424___Private Secretary______________________Yes___€10953.00___€0.00
    425___Aran Island___________________________Yes___€1540.00___€0.00
    426___Car Advance (Not An Allowance)___________No___Variable___€0.00
    429___Promotion Exam Grant____________________Yes___213.13(Once Off)___€0.00
    430___Reward__________________________________Yes___Variable___€0.00
    431___Weights And Measures____________________Yes___Xxx___€48.52
    433___Gaeltacht Allowance____________________Yes___7.5% Salary___€0.00
    434___Substitution Allowance____________________Yes___Variable___€0.00
    435___Locomotion Under 1200Cc____________________No___€3378.57___€0.00
    436___Locomotion 1201-1500 Cc____________________No___€3975.35___€0.00
    437___Locomotion 1501 Cc And Over____________________No___€5067.22___€0.00
    439___Supplementary Detective____________________Yes___Variable___€0.00
    459___Overseas Allowance Class 1____________________No___19.02 Daily___€0.00
    460___Overseas Allowance Class 2____________________No___23.79 Daily___€0.00
    461___Overseas Allowance Class 3____________________No___30.78 Daily___€0.00
    462___Welfare Officer Allowance____________________Yes___€7793.00___€0.00
    *484___Instructor Allowance (G)____________________Yes___€8205.00___€0.00
    *485___Instructor Allowance (S)____________________Yes___€8205.00___€0.00
    *486___Instructor Allowance (I)____________________Yes___€8954.00___€0.00
    *487___Instructor Alowance Supt.____________________Yes___€11187.00___€0.00
    *488___Instructor Temporary (G)____________________Yes___€8205.00___€0.00
    *489___Instructor Temporary (S)____________________Yes___€8205.00___€0.00
    490___Locomotion Under 1200 Cc____________________No___€3812.73___€0.00
    491___Locomotion 1201-1500 Cc____________________No___€4476.37___€0.00
    492___Locomotion 1501 Cc And Over____________________No___€5680.24___€0.00
    496___Community Relations/Crime Prev_________________No___Xxx___€30.90
    497___Water Unit Allowance_________________________Yes___€5130.00___€0.00
    498___Immigration Allowance________________________Yes___Xxx___€26.51
    501___Part Time Immigration Allowanc____________________Yes___€1382.31___€0.00
    506___Delegates Allowance (Gda - Insp) 1St Night__________________Yes___109.15 Daily___€0.00
    506___Delegates Allowance (Gda - Insp) 2Nd, 3Rd & 4Th Night_______Yes___36.39 Daily___€0.00
    506___Delegates Allowance (Gda - Insp) Chairperson________________Yes___84.89 Daily___€0.00
    507___Delegates Allowance (Supt - Comm) 1St Night_________________Yes___230.41 Daily___€0.00
    507___Delegates Allowance (Supt - Comm) 2Nd-4Th Night_____________Yes___67.92 Daily___€0.00
    507___Delegates Allowance (Supt - Comm) Sat/Sun/Bh________________Yes___84.89 Daily___€0.00
    507___Delegates Allowance (Supt - Comm) Chairperson_______________Yes___84.89 Daily___€0.00
    510___Analyst Allowance - Garda____________________Yes___€8205.00___€0.00
    511___Analyst Allowance - Sergeant____________________Yes___€8205.00___€0.00
    512___Analyst Allowance - Inspector____________________Yes___€8954.00___€0.00
    594___Change Management____________________Yes___€6568.00___€0.00
    595___Overseas Allowance/Chief Supt____________________No___75.96 Daily___€0.00
    596___Radio Allowance____________________Yes___€5337.00___€0.00
    597___Air Support Unit Allowance____________________Yes___€5130.00___€0.00
    598___Instructor Allowance Ch. Supt.____________________Yes___€11187.00___€0.00
    600___Living Allowance (Recruits)____________________Yes___€0.00___€71.42
    601___Court Presenter_____________________________Yes___€5337.00___€0.00
    612___Expert Allowance___________________________Yes___€5482.00___€0.00
    613___Availability Allowance - C/Sup____________________Yes___€10654.00___€0.00
    617___Collator Allowance_________________________Yes___Xxx___€26.51
    618___ Availability Allowance Supt____________________Yes___€8473.00___€0.00
    619___Exchange Allowance Taxable____________________Yes___Variable ___€0.00
    620___Overseas Allowance Supers____________________No___75.96 Daily___€0.00
    621___Overseas Allowance Inspectors____________________No___67.88 Daily___€0.00
    622___Overseas Allowance Sergeant____________________No___62.63 Daily___€0.00
    623___Overseas Allowance Garda____________________No___57.44 Daily___€0.00
    625___Eu Police Mission_____________________________No___€100 Daily___€0.00
    626___Cost Of Liv Allow(Accompanied)____________________No___Variable___€0.00
    627___Cost Of Liv Allow (Unaccompan)____________________No___Variable___€0.00
    628___Local Post All. (Accompanied)____________________No___Variable___€0.00
    629___Local Post All.(Unaccompanied)____________________No___Variable___€0.00
    630___Overseas Rent Allowance____________________No___Variable___€0.00
    631___Exchange Allowance Non Taxable____________________No___Variable___€0.00
    632___Exam Bonus - Inspector____________________Yes___700 Lump Sum___€0.00
    *633___Scenes Of Crime Allowance____________________Yes___€3102.00___€0.00
    634___Inspec. Acting Up Allowance____________________Yes___Variable___€0.00
    *638___Exchange Allowance - Garda (Taxable)____________Yes___€9181.00___€0.00
    *639___Exchange Allowance - Garda (Non-Taxable)________No___€4500.00___€0.00
    *894___Safety Adviser Allowance____________________Yes___€7793.00___€0.00
    *886___Interpol Allowance____________________Yes___€2932.00___€0.00
    *887___Motor Technician Allowance____________________Yes___€5143.00___€0.00
    *440___Rostered Saturday____________________Yes___15.02 Daily___€0.00
    *441___Non Rostered Saturday Allowance________Yes___15.02 Daily___€0.00
    442___Sunday Allowance____________________Yes___Variable___€0.00
    443___Night Duty Rostered____________________Yes___Variable___€0.00
    444___Night Duty Non Rostered____________________Yes___Variable___€0.00
    447___Overtime__________________________________Yes___Variable___€0.00
    449___Non Public Duty Overtime____________________Yes___Variable___€0.00
    455___Public Holiday Allowance____________________Yes___Variable___€0.00
    614___Night Duty 6-8 Rostered____________________Yes___Variable___€0.00
    615___Night Duty 6-8 Non Rostered____________________Yes___Variable___€0.00
    655___Exchange Allowance - Sgt (Taxable)______________Yes___€9269.00___€0.00
    656___Exchange Allowance - Sgt (Non-Taxable)___________No___€5500.00___€0.00
    875___Cost Of Living Allowance - Lyon ____________________No___€6262.00___€0.00
    876___Local Post Allowance - Lyon____________________No___€17945.00___€0.00
    877___Child Allowance - Lyon_________________________No___€ 2,278 Per Child___€0.00
    878___Cost Of Living Allowance - Hague (Sgt)____________No___€4904.00___€0.00
    878___Cost Of Living Allowance - Hague (Sgt)______________No___€4828.00___€0.00
    879___Local Post Allowance - Hague (Sgt)____________________No___€3590.00___€0.00
    879___Local Post Allowance - Hague (Sgt)____________________No___€3863.00___€0.00

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Just because he's a sergeant he makes the news.What about every other person with less that he has.

• Advertisement

kincsem wrote: »
    Code___Description________________Levy___Apr09 /annum.___Apr09 /week
    ......................Allowance - Hague (Sgt)____________________No___€3863.00___€0.00

wtf has that got to do with the price of turnips?:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement