Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Garda Sergeant can't afford food

1343536373840»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

John, a detective, who is in his 30s,and his partner, also a public sector worker
    So two frontline people with thirty years of secure employment before them to pay off €200k negative equity, or about two years gross income. Not a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

I would seriously ask all the haters in here still living with mammy to please STFU and do the maths on this one.

I consider it just borderline to bringing up a family in Ireland with a total gross household income of 65K.

Firstly, because married couples can't be jointly assessed anymore, the net monthly income on 65K would be about €3,200.

Factor in the mortgage payment (€1,400 would be slightly above average for most) then that leaves roughly €1,800 a month spending money.

Off the top of my head that would have to cover:

- ESB
    - Gas
    - Annual school fees (yes, public schools do tap parents for up to €400 a year)
    - School books
    - School uniforms
    - School trips
    - Clothes
    - Food
    - Car Repayments
    - Car Insurance
    - Car Tax
    - Health Insurance
    - GP bills
    - Dentist Bills
    - Household waste charges
    - Household maintenance charges (plumming, electric)
    - Birthday presents
    - Christmas presents

...and we're not even in the land of property tax and water rates yet.

Really really really do work this out before opening your gobs.

No TV licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I though you were updating to say they had starved..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Last week I managed to take in 70 euro for a 50 hour working week. I would love a guaranteed state income .

galwayrush wrote: »
    Last week I managed to take in 70 euro for a 50 hour working week. I would love a guaranteed state income .

Quieten down, you're not as vulnerable as sergeant money bags

2 weeks work will cover your TV licence :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Boombastic wrote: »
    I though you were updating to say they had starved..
    You can still buy cornflakes in he shops..so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

So they buy their first house, and then a second house just in case they decided to move out west and we are expected to be sympathetic? Madness

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So they buy their first house, and then a second house just in case they decided to move out west and we are expected to be sympathetic? Madness
    Yes! And you'll be sympathetic and you will like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Joke try liveing on 23,000 sole income, Or those unemployed on 14-15,000 a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Yip, 12 months on and my sympathy levels are still at zero for these moanbags who expect life presented to them on a platter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

hope they are doing ok, we all got a slap, everyone getting less money and more bills,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

You have to be some bit sympathetic. They are doing without a swimming pool

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 pressure_valve

galwayrush wrote: »

you don't lay your life on the line everyday of the week so others can live

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Neither do most Gardaí in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

WTF???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭zoomaway

I would seriously ask all the haters in here still living with mammy to please STFU and do the maths on this one.

I consider it just borderline to bringing up a family in Ireland with a total gross household income of 65K.

Firstly, because married couples can't be jointly assessed anymore, the net monthly income on 65K would be about €3,200.

Factor in the mortgage payment (€1,400 would be slightly above average for most) then that leaves roughly €1,800 a month spending money.

Off the top of my head that would have to cover:

- ESB
    - Gas
    - Annual school fees (yes, public schools do tap parents for up to €400 a year)
    - School books
    - School uniforms
    - School trips
    - Clothes
    - Food
    - Car Repayments
    - Car Insurance
    - Car Tax
    - Health Insurance
    - GP bills
    - Dentist Bills
    - Household waste charges
    - Household maintenance charges (plumming, electric)
    - Birthday presents
    - Christmas presents

...and we're not even in the land of property tax and water rates yet.

Really really really do work this out before opening your gobs.

You forgot
    - house insurance
    - Car NCT ( If they have old/ older cars)
    - Life insurance policy ( which many people have )
    - Dog licence
    - Property tax

So yes it all adds up.

As someone said to me recently the aim of this government is to part you from your money. So hard for anyone to get by in Ireland now. And no I'm not a guard, just someone who realises that we are paying a hefty price for living here. Thing is not enough people would go out and protest and that is what everyone up and down the country should have been doing. We are far too compliant here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Boarder line on 65K??

I'm on 40k with 3 kids 2 cars and a bike + house and living a decent life.

Difference between me and that Guard is I don't have 2 new cars and an over sized house + god knows how many holidays.

If there so poor sell one of the fancy cars and there's a few hundred a month saved on loans/Finance, fuel, tax, insurance etc.

So many people shouting poverty when there paying well over 1k alone for a new/newish cars, fancy clothes, foreign holidays ect.

They all want the biggest and best but them scream poverty??

Poor on 65k...would they ever feck off!!

Live within your means and you will be fine for god sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

zoomaway wrote: »
    As someone said to me recently the aim of this government is to part you from your money.

Unlike all those other governments that paid you to live here, or at the very worse, didn't tax income.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

They wanted to move to the West of Ireland not the Western Front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Boarder line on 65K??

I'm on 40k with 3 kids 2 cars and a bike + house and living a decent life.

Difference between me and that Guard is I don't have 2 new cars and an over sized house + god knows how many holidays.

If there so poor sell one of the fancy cars and there's a few hundred a month saved on loans/Finance, fuel, tax, insurance etc.

So many people shouting poverty when there paying well over 1k alone for a new/newish cars, fancy clothes, foreign holidays ect.

They all want the biggest and best but them scream poverty??

Poor on 65k...would they ever feck off!!

Live within your means and you will be fine for god sake

Genuine question, how much per month is your mortgage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭ Harlan Narrow Destroyer

I'm on over 50k a year. However I have a huge mortgage (on an apartment in Dublin 24 not a flashy house) so by the time I've paid that, ESB, put petrol in my (13 yr old) car and bought food I don't have a massive amount of disposable income. If I had to support a partner and three children on not much more I would find it very difficult. Not all big mortgages are on big flashy houses. Anyone who only got on the property ladder during the boom has an enormous mortgage, even for a modest property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

staker wrote: »
    How much would he have left out of 65k gross? 16800 raw cash gone on the mortgage,surely he has the bones of 20-25k a year to live on!!

I'd be banned for putting here what I've just muttered at the screen.

I only make 25 grand a year to begin with!! I live with my boyfriend and the rent for our small apartment isnt much lower than their mortgage!!. We get by just fine, we are not living lavishly but we are content with what we have. They deserve a slap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I'm on over 50k a year. However I have a huge mortgage (on an apartment in Dublin 24 not a flashy house) so by the time I've paid that, ESB, put petrol in my (13 yr old) car and bought food I don't have a massive amount of disposable income. If I had to support a partner and three children on not much more I would find it very difficult. Not all big mortgages are on big flashy houses. Anyone who only got on the property ladder during the boom has an enormous mortgage, even for a modest property.

So how much is your mortgage?, what are you left with after paying that?. How do people survive on the average industrial wage of 35k (and most earn less than that) when others claim poverty on 50 and 65 k pa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Neither do most Gardaí in fairness.

Exactly. 2 gardai have died on duty in the last 15 years, out of a force of 13,000+. There are many more jobs which are far more dangerous, and pay much worse

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement