Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Garda Sergeant can't afford food

• 17-10-2012 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

All the tales from people suffering from the recession have evoked different reactions from me, but this story really tugged at my heart strings. A working Garda sergeant is unable to feed his family.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/1017/1224325341332.html

According to his wife:
    The woman describes how a €1,400 monthly mortgage payment on a four-bedroom semi-detached family home bought seven years ago along with the repeated cuts to her husband’s wages have left them “living a nightmare”.

. . There are weeks when I can’t put food on the table. I call them ‘cornflakes days’ when all we eat all day is cornflakes . . .”

The woman wrote that even though her eldest child got enough points to go to a prestigious college they couldn’t afford the fees: “Imagine how upsetting that is?”

Her husband has gross earnings of more than €65,000 – including allowances and unsocial hours coverage. After tax, Universal Social Charge, pension, health insurance, mortgage and utility deductions, a typical weekly payslip shows a net payment of €109.

Where's a secret millionaire when you need them? Obviously I'm being sarcastic. This kind of whingeing really sickens me. There are people who are genuinely struggling, and this family making at least 65k a year gross (no mention on whether she's working or not) are moaning that they can't put food on the table. How in the name of god are they managing their finances?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

65k a year and can't survive, kindly **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

another "oh no, i bought a flashy over priced house that i cant afford sob story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

How much would he have left out of 65k gross? 16800 raw cash gone on the mortgage,surely he has the bones of 20-25k a year to live on!!

I'd be banned for putting here what I've just muttered at the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

staker wrote: »
    How much would he have left out of 65k gross? 16800 raw cash gone on the mortgage,surely he has the bones of 20-25k a year to live on!!

I'd be banned for putting here what I've just muttered at the screen.

You can't afford health insurance so cancel it. Suggest porridge instead of cornflakes to save a bit of dough too.

This has to be a pisstake by the way. Comical

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

another "oh no, i bought a flashy over priced house that i cant afford sob story.

A four bed semi "family" house is hardly flashy now !

Having said that I would agree with previous poster in wondering how they manage their finances ?

It seems reasonably obvious that the wife is not in employment....just get out love and get yourself a freekin job and quit the entitlement whinge..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'd wager the family have at least some of the following -

- A post 2008 car
    - Gym membership
    - iPhone / A N other smart phone
    - Games consoles
    - Flat screen tv 36"+

If they don't have any of them then *maybe* I'll muster up an ounce of sympathy but even then, it's 65k a year ffs.

Is she working?

Also, she says they couldn't afford fees for a 'prestigious' college. What's wrong with a slightly lesser college and the kid working part time to pay the fees?

Another spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

No sympathy from me. If they can't survive on €65k a year then that's their own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

He should raid a KFC everyday with a warrant using false pretenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,389 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It could be a civil service can't afford pay cuts pre budget whinge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Boo-fcuking-Hoo.

Go for the store brand instead of Kellogg's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

hope the criminals take note, garda openly admits financial problems, if the movies i watch are anything to go by they should be getting this guy to work for them on the side for extra money. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You're doing something seriously wrong if you can't support a family on 65k a year. Their mortgage isn't even that much!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

they should go into apache pizza on swords main st. Gaurds get free food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

People like that who whinge to the media about their lifestyle in the public eye put hard working Gardai who get on with the job and are prudent in a bad light. The media are harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

If they cant afford food it does'nt leave much hope for the rest of us !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

For me the numbers really don't add up there. An €1400 monthly mortgage payment is large but still not at the upper end of what people out there are paying and it should be absorbing less than 45% of his net pay. The Garda Medical Aid payments they're making won't be small but they're still not out of line with good health insurance costs. The real detail must be in the 'utility' payments here which I'm assuming includes a decent TV package, mobile and landline phone bills and burning gas/electricity like it's going out of fashion to heat a badly insulated house.

For me it's someone running a carefully accounted for sob story.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Dan133269 wrote: »
    All the tales from people suffering from the recession have evoked different reactions from me, but this story really tugged at my heart strings. A working Garda sergeant is unable to feed his family.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/1017/1224325341332.html

According to his wife:

Where's a secret millionaire when you need them? Obviously I'm being sarcastic. This kind of whingeing really sickens me. There are people who are genuinely struggling, and this family making at least 65k a year gross (no mention on whether she's working or not) are moaning that they can't put food on the table. How in the name of god are they managing their finances?

How many children do they have?!
    They're having more income than me and my husband combined, with roughly the same mortgage, and they can't afford FOOD??!!?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Seems a bit bogus tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A routine Gardai patrol was parked outside a local neighbourhood pub. Late in the evening the Garda noticed a man leaving the bar so intoxicated that he could barely walk.

The man stumbled around the car park for a few minutes, with the Garda quietly observing.

After what seemed an eternity and trying his keys on five vehicles, the man managed to find his car which he fell into. He was there for a few minutes as a number of other patrons left the bar and drove off.

Finally he started the car, switched the wipers on and off (it was a fine dry night), flicked the indicators on, then off, tooted the horn and then switched on the lights.

He moved the vehicle forward a few inches, reversed a little and then remained stationary for a few more minutes as some more vehicles left.
    At last he pulled out of the car park and started to drive slowly down the road.

The Garda, having patiently waited all this time, now started up the patrol car, put on the flashing lights, promptly pulled the man over and carried out a breathalyzer test.

To his amazement the breathalyzer indicated no evidence of the man having consumed alcohol at all. Dumbfounded, the Garda said "I'll have to ask you to accompany me to the Police station this breathalyzer equipment must be broken."

"I doubt it," said the man, "tonight I'm the designated decoy".

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Yes but they have maxed out credit cards and loans, plus two cars on hire purchase. And now poor child can't afford to go to a "prestigous college".

I have no sympathy at all. The AGS are over paid for what they do as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭xabi

I bet they have 2 fairly new cars with high repayments along with all the other luxuries like full sky package, high speed broadband, iphones, gym membership, etc, etc. Most people seem to think these items are basic and couldn't live without them. I caught the tail end of this story on Ireland AM, they recon they have €109 / week left after all bills are paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Basic maths.... i dont know if gardai pay tax but i'll throw it in for the laugh anways.

65K a year minus 20% tax

52000 / 12

4333.3333333333 per month net pay

1083.33333333 per week pay

so if Garda is making €1,083.33 a week take home pay and cant afford to pay a €1,400 a month, then the garda is clearly spending his money on hookers and drugs.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Basic maths.... i dont know if gardai pay tax but i'll throw it in for the laugh anways.

65K a year minus 20% tax

52000 / 12

4333.3333333333 per month net pay

1083.33333333 per week pay

so if Garda is making €1,083.33 a week take home pay and cant afford to pay a €1,400 a month, then the garda is clearly spending his money on hookers and drugs.

Higher tax rate after c37k of 42%!

Even still, when I was on the dole on €188 pw, I was still able to pay bills and have enough for food. €109 a week is more than enough for food! Unless of course the family insist on shopping in Superquinn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

even after taking out tax and mortgage he still takes in more than me.

from that i have rent, taxis, sky, bb, phone, utilities and nights out and still have enough for food.

Get oldest kid to get a job to help pay through college. Yes its crap but you are not a special case.

These sob stories are just making people numb to this situation. we no longer care and the more we read the less we care

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

antodeco wrote: »
    Higher tax rate after c37k of 42%!

Even still, when I was on the dole on €188 pw, I was still able to pay bills and have enough for food. €109 a week is more than enough for food! Unless of course the family insist on shopping in Superquinn

Even with 42% tax he would go home with over €400 a week after paying the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

I can't really make a solid statement without knowing everything but I think 86k per annum is a lot of money for a person to make. Many people make less than half of that and are doing okay. 1400 per month mortgage is pretty hefty so they should have thought of getting a cheaper house before getting this one they are living in. Personally, I think there are people who are in much worse of situation than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I guess they should sell up or otherwise come to an arrangement on their debts and rent somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Basic maths.... i dont know if gardai pay tax but i'll throw it in for the laugh anways......

Yes, it's a well known fact that all Gardai do not pay tax :rolleyes:

Although I do call bullshít on this :
    Her husband has gross earnings of more than €65,000 – including allowances and unsocial hours coverage. After tax, Universal Social Charge, pension, health insurance, mortgage and utility deductions, a typical weekly payslip shows a net payment of €109.

A Garda Sergeant would not be paid weekly, it's either fortnightly or monthly. You Madam, are a liar!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Huge amount of stuff is missing from that story because it doesn't add up as it is where they supposedly don't have enough for food.

Story sounds full of shìt, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I can't really make a solid statement without knowing everything but I think 86k per annum is a lot of money for a person to make. Many people make less than half of that and are doing okay. 1400 per month mortgage is pretty hefty so they should have thought of getting a cheaper house before getting this one they are living in. Personally, I think there are people who are in much worse of situation than him.

Jaysus, must have gotten a great 21k bonus since the interview :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement