Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

budzer wrote: »
    sorry where is the lie?

"in bold" means the really really thick words that are highlighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 budzer

Khannie wrote: »
    If alcohol were only discovered / invented today, it would unquestionably be banned. It is only allowed because it has been part of human culture since forever.

In olden times, alcohol was a source of safe liquid (beer would have been safer than water a few hundred years ago for example).

Overall, I'm not a bit fan of cannabis. Wouldn't be in any mad rush to legalise it. Given what the dutch are at (attempting to kill the drug tourism trade) cannabis for all is clearly not a super mega idea.

Cannabis has been around since beginning of time. As the saying goes : God made Weed, Man made Booze. Who do you trust?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

So... you choose to breakdown 1 stereotype around drug use based on your own personal experience and reinforce another around alcohol use based on your own personal experience.

Not everyone who drinks becomes an alcoholic, nor do they all display any particular selfish traits as you imply when speaking about your father.

To finish off:
    As a drinker my family know me as a loving easy going guy.

Which of the 2 drugs would you say has more of a damaging effect on individuals themselves and families?

Never heard of someone dying because too much cannabis was smoked by that person, where I've heard of countless amount of deaths surrounding people that drank too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Kwack

Yoyo
    Have never heard of someone passing out from weed. Have seen people not used to tobacco getting dizzy but not passing out.....maybe falling asleep thats all haha.

Teferi
    Yeah there is a drink responsibly push but if you go out any weekend you will see drunk people fighting etc so obviously that isnt exactly working. Yeah people are finally waking up to the dangers of cigs and hopefully we will see the end of tobacoo soon.
    "So you are comparing yourself as a casual weed smoker against addicts? That doesn't hold up at all." Im 30 and have smoked since I was 13. Im a lot more than a casual smoker. "Implying all drinkers are alcoholics. Hilarious. " fair enough I worded that wrong I should've said an alcoholic but I have seen plenty easy going people act like complete **** on booze. Have you ever woken up after a nights drinking regretting something terrible you did the previous night? Smokers dont get that.

Not all drinkers are alcos but the link between booze and antisocial behaviour is undeniable. You don't see stoned guys out fighting for no apparent reason (unlike booze).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    Which of the 2 drugs would you say has more of a damaging effect on individuals themselves and families?

Never heard of someone dying because too much cannabis was smoked by that person, where I've heard of countless amount of deaths surrounding people that drank too much.

They are also consuming tobacco / ripped up cigarettes. But sure, they'll get marked down as a smoker when it comes to statistics.

Regarding which of the 2 drugs. The problem is with the rate of consumption and taking it to excess is always going to present problems regardless of which is being consumed.

People presenting Alcohol as a problem here are using extreme circumstances as normality while it couldn't be further from the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Kwack wrote: »
    Yoyo
    Have never heard of someone passing out from weed. Have seen people not used to tobacco getting dizzy but not passing out.....maybe falling asleep thats all haha.
    Yeah it was a while ago and it was only after a few drags that she fainted, called the ambulance and all that and while on the phone to them she re-gained consciousness. Not nice all the same. And she wasn't asleep she was standing up and suddenly collapsed.

Nick

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's always seemed pretty simple to me.

Too much drink is bad for you.

Too much weed is bad for you.

The above goes for just about anything you put in your body to some degree.

A minority abuse both, a majority use them responsibley without any detrimental effects to society, their friends/families or themselves.

Help the people who can't handle their drink/smoke and leave the people who can alone.

Neither drink nor cannabis should be illegal imo, and those who enjoy either of both should be on the same side in this argument as far as I can see.

Personally I would happily see every drug under the sun decriminalised and cannabis all out legalised, but that's another argument altogether.

They are also consuming tobacco / ripped up cigarettes. But sure, they'll get marked down as a smoker when it comes to statistics.

Regarding which of the 2 drugs. The problem is with the rate of consumption and taking it to excess is always going to present problems regardless of which is being consumed.

People presenting Alcohol as a problem here are using extreme circumstances as normality while it couldn't be further from the truth.

Some people may use tobacco, and that is completely their choice but a lot of the time it is just smoke on its own using a pip, bong whatever.Cleanest and safest way to smoke it of course!

Yes I agree taking the two drugs to excess will cause problems but it would take a lot of Cannabis smoking to see real damage.

I don't drink often, but don't get me wrong I do like a cold sucker every now and again, but going back to the original post, if alcohol is legal, then Cannabis has every right to be legal also, for medicinal use and for anyone who wishes to smoke it.

One thing I would say is that Cannabis does not suit everyone! And yes , it has had serious effects on people, with them mostly becoming paranoid.Now its down to the individual whether or not they wish to consume the drug but there is still that danger , therefore more information should be given on the subject .If cannabis was legalized, then we could get all that shíte cannabis that is mixed with all sorts off our streets, because there is LOADS of it out there, and you have to search far and wide for some clean stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

what attitude?? i want a cannabis ireland, problem??

oh and yes it has been won in many parts of the world, so please get your facts straight and learn a little about cannabis before you run it down, just like everyone else, know nothing about it but as long as its called a drug then NO you dont want it.

Look at all the drug heads doped out of their heads everyday on prescribed valium for fcuks sake, but hey thats ok cause the doc says its ok

well ****, last time I side with you lol....

yoyo wrote: »
    Yeah it was a while ago and it was only after a few drags that she fainted, called the ambulance and all that and while on the phone to them she re-gained consciousness. Not nice all the same. And she wasn't asleep she was standing up and suddenly collapsed.

Nick

I believe this as it can happen! Was there tobacco used? where did you get it from? All these could lead to where it all went wrong for her.

• Advertisement

Cannabis has been around since beginning of time. As the saying goes : God made Weed, Man made Booze. Who do you trust?

So is Nutmeg and shrooms.....and we all know what effect these can have on people on occasions.

Not really the best statement to make to win this argument

I believe this as it can happen! Was there tobacco used? where did you get it from? All these could lead to where it all went wrong for her.

Don't smoke it myself so not sure but it was cannabis bush/not hash, can't honestly remember if tobacco was mixed, 6 or 7 years ago now it would be... :)

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Don't smoke it myself so not sure but it was cannabis bush/not hash, can't honestly remember if tobacco was mixed, 6 or 7 years ago now it would be... :)

Nick

Well there could be every chance that tobacco was used, she probably went "green" happens to quite a few people, especially if they haven't smoked it before!

Well I hope she was ok after it! can be scary, I'm sure its happened to most weed smokers at some stage or another especially if they've drank before!

Cannabis+Alcohol=Disaster!!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭battser

I think if it were to be legal then we would be getting robbed if we wanted to buy it on a regular basis. The government would tax the sh!t out of it but also agree with a previous poster they wouldn't be able to cause It's similar to growing a patch of veg out your back so they would never really benifit. For me I couldn't give a rats legal or not.

On a side note I just lol'd thinking if it was legal what a Saturday night in town would be like. People millin down their pints with cotton mouth and red eye not to mention the severe penalty for smoking after having a few *Shudders*. It would be one funny fcukin sight I tell thee that much :D

Well there could be every chance that tobacco was used, she probably went "green" happens to quite a few people, especially if they haven't smoked it before!

Well I hope she was ok after it! can be scary, I'm sure its happened to most weed smokers at some stage or another especially if they've drank before!

Cannabis+Alcohol=Disaster!!

No drink was consumed, it was actually at lunch time back in the school days hanging out at the petrol station (yeah not exactly the most sensible place to be smoking :P ) it happened. She just collapsed and regained consciousness a minute after.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I don't like the argument saying 'you will never win the war on drugs'. To me, this is like saying you will never win the war against aging, both are just facts to do with being human. You can however minimise the damage done and more could certainly be achieved here.

I don't think selling it openly in off licenses will help. I also don't buy the argument of increased tourism as drug tourists are the last type of people you want coming here. I do think it should be decriminalised to the point where people should be free to grow it in their own home for personal use and if an 18 year old gets caught with with a few grams they can avoid getting a criminal conviction for the rest of their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Cannabis will never be fully legalised in Ireland. End of.

However, I would be favour of it being decriminalised as I think the punishments given out for cannabis related incidents are harsh to say the least.

The punishments given out, in my opinion, are not justified by the crime committed when compared to other more serious crimes. Having said that, what was the length of term of the guy that didn't pay tax on his garlic? 6 years! What's the average jail time for rape? Just shows the inconsistency of crime committed vs punishment in this country.

At the end of the day, If cannabis was legalised, what REAL benefits would us, the smokers receive? As a daily smoker and a bit of a cannabis tourist, I can tell you that it won't be any cheaper and won't be much better. O.K., it may be more readily available but to be honest, it isn't very hard to source. Then again, this is based on the stuff I smoke and the how much it costs me.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cannabis is a nasty horrible life wasting drug.. The "pro weed" crowd are generally kids or older folk who never amounted to much... Moderate, party canabis use is one thing, but cannabis addiction is very very real, and is devastating..

I smoked cannabis daily from the age of 13 until the age of 25, in the last two years before i gave it up, it had completely began to**** up my life and it went from a passtime to a fully fledged psychological crutch that turned me into an ambitionless, antisocial, paranoid, A sexual mess. I smoked so much during the day at work that I couldn't sleep due to cannabis induced paranoia and psychosis. I had a good job, but wasn't going anywhere in it. I started to medicate with alcohol to make social interactions tollerable and could feel life slipping by.

Fast forward 6 years later, stopped smoking cannabis (the withdraw was very real, despite what the "it's not addictive" mongs will tell you.) I am soon to be a dad, in a great job with a proper circle of friends and am not afraid to endure basic social interaction.

"weed" is a pretty apt name for the way this drug takes hold in your brain. Do your self a favour and stay away

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭seanpjs93

Psychologically it's addictive, so is basically anything once you get on it, there are people who are hugely addicted to over the counter medications containing codeine which after prolonged use (some on up to 24 pills a day) can severely damage kidneys and liver. I don't think Cannabis will be legalised any time soon, it's unrealistic to say alcohol and cigarettes should be banned and cannabis legalised, just like with alcohol it's not a thing that would damage your health if it's used moderately, of course cannabis usage has ruined lives and families, but so has alcohol, if something becomes habitual, it's hard to kick out of it, some people just can't stop because they don't feel good without it, there will always be an illegal market for cannabis, legal or not, there is with cigarettes and alcohol...even fireworks but maybe within the next 20 years there'll be a difference in people's attitude towards it. I personally don't or never have used any form of illegal drugs, but I'm in favor of cannabis being legal in some form, maybe medicinal if it really does help someone. Only time will tell, the next hurdle in our law issues is abortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Weed, is a drug...

I smoked for 15 years of my life Im 31 while drinking and not drinking.. I think legalising it in this country is moronic, The irish don't do things in half measure from my experience most people i know weather they are passing acquaintances. Majority of them drink on the excess side of things, the kinda people that go brag oo my liver hates me today.. But sure sleep when your dead at this pub with such and such and it 1 in the afternoon. :rolleyes:

Weed has side effects those side effects be it depression, phycosis , paranoia, the fact it roots your mind. Years ago we could sell cigerates to 16 year olds. :rolleyes:.. Take weed for instance especially legalized weed, its not just growing plants and drying it prooving it an airing it.

Its the level of stone, its the potency of the thc. On a 16 year old kid amber colored thc of prolonged use would fvck a kids brain up in a matter of months.. I've seen it. Most people have seen younger vestibules due to weed that is too strong for there brains.

If weed was legalized this would be available to your futuere children nephews, etc etc. What happens after weed is legal do we look at controlling, mdam and making that legal.

Lets not get into the solical aspects of leagising drugs as it would be a night mare..

Im not an aunti stoner Im not for it either but as a revenue for a rescission its not really that big.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Snowie wrote: »
    Weed, is a drug...

I smoked for 15 years of my life Im 31 while drinking and not drinking.. I think legalising it in this country is moronic, The irish don't do things in half measure from my experience most people i know weather they are passing acquaintances. Majority of them drink on the excess side of things, the kinda people that go brag oo my liver hates me today.. But sure sleep when your dead at this pub with such and such and it 1 in the afternoon. :rolleyes:

Weed has side effects those side effects be it depression, phycosis , paranoia, the fact it roots your mind. Years ago we could sell cigerates to 16 year olds. :rolleyes:.. Take weed for instance especially legalized weed, its not just growing plants and drying it prooving it an airing it.

Its the level of stone, its the potency of the thc. On a 16 year old kid amber colored thc of prolonged use would fvck a kids brain up in a matter of months.. I've seen it. Most people have seen younger vestibules due to weed that is too strong for there brains.

If weed was legalized this would be available to your futuere children nephews, etc etc. What happens after weed is legal do we look at controlling, mdam and making that legal.

Lets not get into the solical aspects of leagising drugs as it would be a night mare..

Im not an aunti stoner Im not for it either but as a revenue for a rescission its not really that big.

"amber colored thc of prolonged use"............ What does that even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Weed, is a drug...

Your seem to rattle on a good bit about if weed was legalized then it would be more widely available to younger people. But the fact is it already is, dealers don't ask for ID. If it was legalized it would be taken off the streets and could be sold responsibly by licensed vendor's who actually adhere to rules and regulations and not just "50 euro, there you go".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

mikom wrote: »
    "amber colored thc of prolonged use"............ What does that even mean?

Thc is a Cristal that forms on the plant.

It takes six to 8 weeks for a plant to flower, in which time it goes through stages of potency, THC has 3 potency stages clear white and amber. Majority of weed if legalized.THC would be to the higher stage two too stage three milky and amber. Why sell a week product?

That's not even the half theres also a curing stage after the plant is harvested , even if the plant was at say milky to amber stage of growth. If it was burped (term for curing) which needs to happen in order for the plant to become smokabale, it would still be strong.

ever notice you get weed thats really damp its been rushed out and has no significant high apposed a plant that's been dried, thus the value goes down even if it were legalized who wants **** weed?
    Lukker- wrote: »
    Your seem to rattle on a good bit about if weed was legalized then it would be more widely available to younger people. But the fact is it already is, dealers don't ask for ID. If it was legalized it would be taken off the streets and could be sold responsibly by licensed vendor's who actually adhere to rules and regulations and not just "50 euro, there you go".

Where does the kid get 50 euro from, hardly that easy for a 15 year old ask mammy for 50 euros. :rolleyes:... He needs some sort of reason...
    So put that baby to bed when you get some stranger to go in and bye him some cans for a 10er whast to stop some lad walking in buying enough for a few joints and handing it to a kid?

You never asked any one to go into an off licence to get you cans when you were a kid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Thc is a Cristal that forms on the plant.

Incorrect
    It takes six to 8 weeks for a plant to flower, in which time it goes through stages of potency

Partially correct in the case of indicas and ruderalis crosses.
    You could almost double that for a good sativa.

THC has 3 potency stages clear white and amber.

There is a whole lot more to it than that.
    Majority of weed if legalized.THC would be to the higher stage two too stage three milky and amber.

Amber would see a reduction in THC.
    THC has the most psychoactive effect.
    So you are incorrect on this also.

The balance in the amber case would usually swing towards CBD, the calmative to THC's high.

Anyway aside from the inaccuracies, a legalised cannabis market would allow cannabis to be classed and marked at the different levels of THC, CBD, or even CBN.

Why sell a week product?

Choice.
    Why do some people drink a sherry, some a glass of beer, and others a vodka and red bull?
    That's not even the half theres also a curing stage after the plant is harvested , even if the plant was at say milky to amber stage of growth. If it was burped (term for curing) which needs to happen in order for the plant to become smokabale, it would still be strong.

Cured, yes, less harsh, than say the glass shavings adulterated **** that is sold by many street dealers.

Snowie, you need to brush up on your knowledge of the subject if you are going throw around claims.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

With yet another major factory found in Donegal valued at €1m+, isn't it time the irish government think about how much money they could revenue each year by regulating it. After all the only people that are making money from it are the low life criminals who are on the DOLE and live the lavish lifestyle.

The government will never ever win the war against cannabis anywhere in the world, simply because its a form of medicine and serves a lot of medicinal relief. Just cannot get my head around how its ok to regulate alcohol and cigarettes and yet they are doing a heck of a lot more damage to ourselves and with the booze its simply damaging or society.

Picture this....

Legalize Cannabis so patients have a safe source of medicine

Legalize Cannabis and do away with alcohol = Less Garda needed at weekends to stop all the fighting after clubs and pubs

Legalize Cannabis to stop funding the criminals

Legalize Cannabis for another source to fund bail out

Legalize Cannabis and we would see an increase of tourists.

Legalize Cannabis to stop the criminals stealing electricity from the grid.

Realistically if it's done properly, there would be no downside to it.

If anyone wishes to talk more then please contact me goodweed at live dot ie

Get back to me when your not living in fantasy land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Cannabis should be legalised, or at the very least it should be decriminalised. It's simply wrong that someone can go to jail or get a criminal record for what is a victimless activity. The whole 'war on drugs' is nothing but a joke.

Whatever people's opinion is on cannabis, if you don't want to smoke it then that's perfectly fine but people should have the right to choose. People have been brainwashed for years into thinking that's it's a dangerous and evil drug while at the same time going out for a few pints and getting locked. The ignorance and hypocrisy around the matter is unreal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

seanpjs93 wrote: »
    Psychologically it's addictive, so is basically anything once you get on it, there are people who are hugely addicted to over the counter medications containing codeine which after prolonged use (some on up to 24 pills a day) can severely damage kidneys and liver. I don't think Cannabis will be legalised any time soon, it's unrealistic to say alcohol and cigarettes should be banned and cannabis legalised, just like with alcohol it's not a thing that would damage your health if it's used moderately, of course cannabis usage has ruined lives and families, but so has alcohol, if something becomes habitual, it's hard to kick out of it, some people just can't stop because they don't feel good without it, there will always be an illegal market for cannabis, legal or not, there is with cigarettes and alcohol...even fireworks but maybe within the next 20 years there'll be a difference in people's attitude towards it. I personally don't or never have used any form of illegal drugs, but I'm in favor of cannabis being legal in some form, maybe medicinal if it really does help someone. Only time will tell, the next hurdle in our law issues is abortion.

That's mainly due to the Ibuprofen content not the 12.8mg of Codeine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

what attitude?? i want a cannabis ireland, problem??

oh and yes it has been won in many parts of the world, so please get your facts straight and learn a little about cannabis before you run it down, just like everyone else, know nothing about it but as long as its called a drug then NO you dont want it.

Look at all the drug heads doped out of their heads everyday on prescribed valium for fcuks sake, but hey thats ok cause the doc says its ok

You have no idea how to argue your point, people like you work against the legalisation of weed more than for it, but think you are fighting for it well. Your points are stupid and irrelevant. Do try harder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Alcohol cause depression, Paranoia, Heart attacks and Strokes, Heart Disease, Liver Disease and Failure, Pancreatic Disease, Dementia, Strokes, Kidney disease and Failure,Diabetes, Tremors, Osteoporosis, Bowel Cancer, inabt brain development in younger users, Death, Depression, Anxiety, Psychosis.

Smoking cause Lung Cancer, Heart Diseases, Pulmonary diseases, Impotence, Lung Disease, Brain Hemorrhages.

Weed smoked without Tobacco has little effects on the lungs unlike Tobacco and has been proven not to cause cancer. It has hundreds of medical usages. It is safe in moderation but can mess your head around a small bit if you are constantly smoking it. Cannabinoids have been shown to have potential antitumor effects.
    It should definitly be made legal for medical purposes and if it was made legal then it should be sold at a fairly high cost!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-help/about-cancer/cancer-questions/does-smoking-cannabis-cause-cancer

From the above: "So at the moment we don't have clear evidence either way. We do know that smoking is unhealthy. And that, like tobacco, cannabis contains cancer causing substances. Therefore it would seem likely to increase cancer risk. But we need more research to know this for sure."

I think cannabis is a really damaging drug. It wrecks peoples brains. Turns them into zombies who have mood-swings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement