Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis

Options
  • 12-10-2012 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

With yet another major factory found in Donegal valued at €1m+, isn't it time the irish government think about how much money they could revenue each year by regulating it. After all the only people that are making money from it are the low life criminals who are on the DOLE and live the lavish lifestyle.

The government will never ever win the war against cannabis anywhere in the world, simply because its a form of medicine and serves a lot of medicinal relief. Just cannot get my head around how its ok to regulate alcohol and cigarettes and yet they are doing a heck of a lot more damage to ourselves and with the booze its simply damaging or society.

Picture this....

Legalize Cannabis so patients have a safe source of medicine

Legalize Cannabis and do away with alcohol = Less Garda needed at weekends to stop all the fighting after clubs and pubs

Legalize Cannabis to stop funding the criminals

Legalize Cannabis for another source to fund bail out

Legalize Cannabis and we would see an increase of tourists.

Legalize Cannabis to stop the criminals stealing electricity from the grid.

Realistically if it's done properly, there would be no downside to it.

If anyone wishes to talk more then please contact me goodweed at live dot ie

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

budzer wrote: »
    The government will never ever win the war against cannabis anywhere in the world,

We only need to win it here thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Just easy work for the Gardaí, Just think of all the man hours, court appearances and resources wasted on seizing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Never going to happen. Too many political connections with the drink industry here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 budzer

We only need to win it here thanks.

Never be won here Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Never be won here Thanks

Not with that attitude it won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Not with that attitude it won't.

Wont be won anywhere, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Legalize Cannabis and do away with alcohol = Less Garda needed at weekends to stop all the fighting after clubs and pubs

This always annoys me about the pro-weed crowd. They make alcohol out to be the enemy. Considering that weed here generally gets rolled alongside tobacco then it is definitely worse for you then a few beers.

I'm cool with you if you want weed legalised bro and fully support you in it but if you take away my few beers and whiskeys on the weekend then I would have to side with the anti-weed crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

No getting rid of alcohol. There are a lot of people who drink that don't like or don't want to try cannabis.

People would still drink a ton, and they'd buy weed/prerolled spliffs on nights out aswell. More tax income. :P

Teferi wrote: »
    This always annoys me about the pro-weed crowd. They make alcohol out to be the enemy. Considering that weed here generally gets rolled alongside tobacco then it is definitely worse for you then a few beers.

I'm cool with you if you want weed legalised bro and fully support you in it but if you take away my few beers and whiskeys on the weekend then I would have to side with the anti-weed crowd.

so alcohol is not a problem every single weekend?

yes fair enough to the moderate user who can handle it then yes alcohol is fine, but to the yobs who go out and drink vodka and red bull then looking to fight with everyone, which is almost everyone under 25 at the weekend, alcohol is a drug, far worse than cannabis

Korvanica wrote: »
    Wont be won anywhere, thankfully.

what attitude?? i want a cannabis ireland, problem??

oh and yes it has been won in many parts of the world, so please get your facts straight and learn a little about cannabis before you run it down, just like everyone else, know nothing about it but as long as its called a drug then NO you dont want it.

Look at all the drug heads doped out of their heads everyday on prescribed valium for fcuks sake, but hey thats ok cause the doc says its ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Well the criminals are making money from Prostitution so we should legalise that also,And Human Trafficking and Heroin and stealing cars and tiger kidnapping and extortion and think if all these thing's were legal,The Gardaí would have plenty time to go after real criminals.:rolleyes:

yes fair enough to the moderate user who can handle it then yes alcohol is fine, but to the yobs who go out and drink vodka and red bull then looking to fight with everyone, which is almost everyone under 25 at the weekend, alcohol is a drug, far worse than cannabis

No it isn't. It's very much the minority of people that cause problems. Drink is often cited as a factor, but people who get themselves in to this aggressive state which you alude to are very capable of doing such sober. Drink and fighting doesn't always go hand in hand as much as it's made out to seem.
    what attitude?? i want a cannabis ireland, problem??

oh and yes it has been won in many parts of the world, so please get your facts straight and learn a little about cannabis before you run it down, just like everyone else, know nothing about it but as long as its called a drug then NO you dont want it.

Look at all the drug heads doped out of their heads everyday on prescribed valium for fcuks sake, but hey thats ok cause the doc says its ok

You do realise Korvanica's response was supporting cannabis right?

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Well the criminals are making money from Prostitution so we should legalise that also,And Human Trafficking and Heroin and stealing cars and tiger kidnapping and extortion and think if all these thing's were legal,The Gardaí would have plenty time to go after real criminals.:rolleyes:

Well if you think legalizing that is fine then you must like those things,, cannabis is a form of pain relief and delays cancerous cells and numerous other medical uses, so if it were regulated properly then sure why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Smoking cannabis is a victimless crime.

cannabis is a form of pain relief

Isnt every drug?

the yobs who go out and drink vodka and red bull then looking to fight with everyone,

I wonder what % of them would have taken drugs that night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Isnt every drug?

Show's what you know so if that's your opinion.

yes fair enough to the moderate user who can handle it then yes alcohol is fine, but to the yobs who go out and drink vodka and red bull then looking to fight with everyone, which is almost everyone under 25 at the weekend ,alcohol is a drug, far worse than cannabis

I don't know how you inferred what you did from my post.

Using sweeping generalities and outright lies doesn't help your argument. Lies in bold.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

If alcohol were only discovered / invented today, it would unquestionably be banned. It is only allowed because it has been part of human culture since forever.

In olden times, alcohol was a source of safe liquid (beer would have been safer than water a few hundred years ago for example).

Overall, I'm not a bit fan of cannabis. Wouldn't be in any mad rush to legalise it. Given what the dutch are at (attempting to kill the drug tourism trade) cannabis for all is clearly not a super mega idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Oooo how I'd love to see that day.Well maybe our country can learn something from the state of Cali....great laws there :D

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    If alcohol were only discovered / invented today, it would unquestionably be banned. It is only allowed because it has been part of human culture since forever.

In olden times, alcohol was a source of safe liquid (beer would have been safer than water a few hundred years ago for example).

Overall, I'm not a bit fan of cannabis. Wouldn't be in any mad rush to legalise it. Given what the dutch are at (attempting to kill the drug tourism trade) cannabis for all is clearly not a super mega idea.

I think thats to crack down on the distribution of cannabis being transported to other countries.

It's not everyone's cup of teas at the end of the day, but its up to the individual to choose whether they wish consume the drug. I can't see any cons to the idea of legalizing cannabis

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Kwack

Weed gets a bad rap. I smoke weed daily yet it doesn't affect work etc. I rarely drink but it's laughable the same people that demonisen weed see nothing wrong with cigs and booze even though weed has never killed anyone.
    The plant has so many uses is almost comical that's it's illegal. If people actually read why the prohibition started in America it would shock them.
    I love weed and will smoke it for the rest of my life. I can easily go weeks without it and bar a few bad nights sleep for the first few days off it its easy to stop.... I just choose not to. Compare that to alcoholics or actual drug users (weed is a beautiful plant not a drug) trying to kick the habit! As for people calling it a gateway drug... Dumbest comment ever.
    Governments will never win the war against weed and the main reason it's illegal now is they would find it impossible to tax seeing as anyone can grow it fairly easily.
    I grew up in a home with an alcoholic father who worked and spent all spare tine at the pub and earliest memories were horrible. Turned me off drink for life. I'm looking forward to going home having a smoke and hanging out with my family for the weekend! Unlike a drinker my family know me as a loving easy going guy.

Kwack wrote: »
    Weed gets a bad rap. I smoke weed daily yet it doesn't affect work etc. I rarely drink but it's laughable the same people that demonisen weed see nothing wrong with cigs and booze even though weed has never killed anyone.
    The plant has so many uses is almost comical that's it's illegal. If people actually read why the prohibition started in America it would shock them.
    I love weed and will smoke it for the rest of my life. I can easily go weeks without it and bar a few bad nights sleep for the first few days off it its easy to stop.... I just choose not to. Compare that to alcoholics or actual drug users (weed is a beautiful plant not a drug) trying to kick the habit! As for people calling it a gateway drug... Dumbest comment ever.
    Governments will never win the war against weed and the main reason it's illegal now is they would find it impossible to tax seeing as anyone can grow it fairly easily.
    I grew up in a home with an alcoholic father who worked and spent all spare tine at the pub and earliest memories were horrible. Turned me off drink for life. I'm looking forward to going home having a smoke and hanging out with my family for the weekend! Unlike a drinker my family know me as a loving easy going guy.

Amen to that, no truer word said!

So... you choose to breakdown 1 stereotype around drug use based on your own personal experience and reinforce another around alcohol use based on your own personal experience.

Not everyone who drinks becomes an alcoholic, nor do they all display any particular selfish traits as you imply when speaking about your father.

To finish off:
    As a drinker my family know me as a loving easy going guy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Cannabis gets abused also, and if it was to be legalised more people would probably do it and as a result more of the problems associated with it will become more apparent.
    First should I point out I think the fact cannabis is banned is ridiculous and I would be in favour of legalising or even making possesion for personal use a lesser offense, I think this along with the bloody TV licensing is such a waste of court time and tax payers money it is a joke.
    Anyway is weed safer than alcohol? Both in moderation are alright, yes, severe alcohol withdrawal can kill, but weed can also be addictive if abused, leading to severe anxiety/paranoia. It certainly is not a drug for everyone either, and can cause severe bad reactions to some people (I remember seeing someone a while back smoking part a spliff and fainting for about a minute a good while back, not good!).

Nick

I rarely drink but it's laughable the same people that demonisen weed see nothing wrong with cigs and booze even though weed has never killed anyone.

I think you will find that cigs are demonised by our society. You can't have failed to notice the "drink responsibly" drive that there has been the last decade or so.

The plant has so many uses is almost comical that's it's illegal.

I agree. However loosening restrictions for medical use and full legalisation are two completely different arguments.
    I love weed and will smoke it for the rest of my life. I can easily go weeks without it and bar a few bad nights sleep for the first few days off it its easy to stop.... I just choose not to. Compare that to alcoholics or actual drug users (weed is a beautiful plant not a drug) trying to kick the habit!

So you are comparing yourself as a casual weed smoker against addicts? That doesn't hold up at all.

Let's compare yourself to me - a casual drinker...

I love a few beers and will drink for the rest of my life. I can easily go weeks without having a lager and it doesn't even affect my sleep patterns.

As for people calling it a gateway drug... Dumbest comment ever.

The Gateway Drug Theory states that using lesser drugs can lead to a risk of exposure to harder drugs.

The Gateway Drug Theory does not state that using lesser drugs will lead to heavy drug use.
    Unlike a drinker my family know me as a loving easy going guy.

Implying all drinkers are alcoholics. Hilarious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I smoke weed sometimes. I can't see this ever changing, politicians can't make it legal because they're be uproar from conservatives and they'd lose half their vote. Also cannabis use would increase dramatically I would think, and is that a good thing? Probably not really. So it's an impossible situation, but while there is demand there will by supply, and the Garda will continue to fight an impossible fight. But it's always going to be this way, it's not even worth debating anymore in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Khannie wrote: »
    Given what the dutch are at (attempting to kill the drug tourism trade) cannabis for all is clearly not a super mega idea.

It's on the ballot for full recreational legalisation in three states during next month's US presidential election (and two others for medical legalisation). Colorado is one of them and it looks from the polls that it will actually pass. Cannabis is on a very steady ascendancy in the states. We might look to them rather than the Dutch.

I wonder what % of them would have taken drugs that night?

yeah prob e's and coke and speed and maybe heroin, but the biggest and easiest drug available is alcohol

• Advertisement

Teferi wrote: »
    I don't know how you inferred what you did from my post.

Using sweeping generalities and outright lies doesn't help your argument. Lies in bold.

sorry where is the lie?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement