Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High winds and heavy rain in places this week (Discussion Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭teddybones

skies are black in Wicklow town, and lashing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

gbee wrote: »
    They just closed Union Quay ~ usual flooding I've not seen it myself

oh great.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

After a clear slot, it has clouded over again from the south as next band or rain/showers approaches.

26.4mm so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Pretty bad floods on the Sallins Road in Naas this morning so be careful if you are going that way !

Have to say though I was excited this morning seeing some floods !

As a weather enthusiast living in Naas I usually miss all the good stuff :(

In a penthouse office looking out over the whole city for training today so eyes will be glued to the window !! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Traffic is horrendous in Cork City this morning - I think I escaped the worst of it thank God - in work now.

Plenty of places in the city flooded as well as in the county

Cork always gets a bad time of it alright, hope it doesn't get too bad for you later leahyl

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Cork always gets a bad time of it alright, hope it doesn't get too bad for you later leahyl

Well at least we can 'boast' about something if not snow;) We get the most rain yay!:pac:

leahyl wrote: »
    Well at least we can 'boast' about something if not snow;) We get the most rain yay!:pac:

We should house share, ill come down to Cork when it rains and you can come here when it snows ! ha :pac:

t|nt|n wrote: »
    We should house share, ill come down to Cork when it rains and you can come here when it snows ! ha :pac:

Oh no, no I like the rain also so I shall be staying here:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Waterford train station looks like a canal station.

http://m.lockerz.com/s/253757666

Met.ie
    Weather Warning

Issued at 17 October 2012 - 09:02 Weather Warning South to southeast gales or possibly strong gale force winds today in conjunction with spring tides and low pressure may cause flooding along some Munster and Leinster coastal margins.

Widespread thundery showers, with torrential downpours in places, further spot flooding in other areas also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ketrab82

Midleton Co Cork, this Morning after very heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Looking at the current radar on www.raintoday.co.uk a lot of the rain heading towards the midlands, seems to dump itself over the Slieve Blooms before dissipating almost altogether by the time it gets to Athlone.

Is that a theme that is likely to continue for the afternoon ?

I'm meant to be playing golf in athlone today and trying to gauge how wet I am going to get ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Flooding widespread across Waterford City.

18.4mm since Midnight, Max gust 65km/h at my station and 85km/h at Waterford Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

The drive into our estate in Maynooth is flooded after the deluge at around 5:30 this morning. Have never seen a flood there before, it's deep enough that cars have to slow right down to get through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Really heavy bursts, a pause and then another burst seems to be the form this morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dodged another bullet in the West. 48 hour totals 9am UTC Monday to 9am UTC Wednesday ( 10am IST)

Malin 4mm
    Belmullet and Mace 7mm
    Shannon 10mm

The main event

Cork Airport 17mm
    Casement 27mm
    Dublin airport 26mm
    Mullingar 21mm
    Gurteen ( near enough Shannon) 20mm

(Other s and e stations inc Ballyhaise, incomplete, I saw 9.1mm in an hourly for Phoenix park this morning, yowza. :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Cork city this morning..

250439_518590354836303_1691724064_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Well, things out here on the Celtic Sea are interesting to say the least. Sustained windspeed seems to be about 48/49 knots, with gusts regularly reaching 55 knots. I can only describe the sea state as !!, I have never seen such waves before. They are probably 6 to 7 metres high, with some appearing significantly higher (10m?). Otherwise clear skies out here.

The ship is listing by up to 20 Degrees (pitch+yaw) at times, making walking and sitting in non-tied down chairs very difficult. Its all a lot of fun in an extreme sports kind of way. If I can, I will post some pics and an update later on this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

22.8mm . Woke up a good few times with noise of rain overnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

You should have seen the height of the river Suir in Waterford City this morning. It was level with the top of the docks and presumably its going to get worse with high tide this evening.
    Luckily the opposite side of the river on the quay was mostly spared, due to the new flood barriers I reckon.

You should have seen the height of the river Suir in Waterford City this morning. It was level with the top of the docks and presumably its going to get worse with high tide this evening.
    Luckily the opposite side of the river on the quay was mostly spared, due to the new flood barriers I reckon.

Strongest winds will be pushing up onto the coast around 6pm, pressure will be a bit lower then too. So that plus spring tide may put some places at risk, hopefully not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

V_Moth wrote: »
    Well, things out here on the Celtic Sea are interesting to say the least. Sustained windspeed seems to be about 48/49 knots, with gusts regularly reaching 55 knots. I can only describe the sea state as !!, I have never seen such waves before. They are probably 6 to 7 metres high, with some appearing significantly higher (10m?). Otherwise clear skies out here.

The ship is listing by up to 20 Degrees (pitch+yaw) at times, making walking and sitting in non-tied down chairs very difficult. Its all a lot of fun in an extreme sports kind of way. If I can, I will post some pics and an update later on this afternoon.

Marathon Platfom was reporting 6.7 metre waves this morning. Currently 6.1 m at midday. (Wave height is given in the 7**** group after the 22200 group. eg. 70061 = 6.1 metres).

http://www.ogimet.com/display_ships.php?lang=en&lugar=62023&ord=REV&nil=SI&fmt=html&tipo=ALL&anof=2012&mesf=10&dayf=17&horaf=11

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

The Liffey is really high, especially at City Quay where there is no wall, could do with a few sandbags over there!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Dublin mountains breaking up the rain as it approaches,rain either side of Dublin CC,heavy rain out in the Irish sea

Edit : spoke too soon,bucketing down now

What time is high tide tonight in Cork City I wonder - danger of flooding again I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

leahyl wrote: »
    What time is high tide tonight in Cork City I wonder - danger of flooding again I would imagine

Around half 7 i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Pitch dark clouds moving into Galway City from the South East, any sparks likely .

Darn it very heavy rain but no sparks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

The Liffey is really high, especially at City Quay where there is no wall, could do with a few sandbags over there!!!!

You can watch the Liffey's water level and the general greyness of Dublin via this high quality webcam moving around on Liberty Hall

http://www.siptu.ie/media/webcam/

From Broadsheet.ie
    A5aTJpNCIAAuucn.jpg

Liffey Boardwalks now closed

http://instagram.com/p/Q4rbBFqOmF/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement