Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High winds and heavy rain in places this week (Discussion Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StormGazer.11

Anyone got an update on cork city around the general Lavitts quay area? never put out the sandbags :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Su Campu wrote: »
    I would still maintain that even low 40s is on the high side and the wild to and fro movement of the rigging is adding to the measured speed. The readings will be more reliable in calmer seas.

Ascat was over at 12:40 Our Time and agrees with you Su. :)

WMBds132.png
    WMBds133.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Current conditions for Dun Laoghaire

CURRENT HARBOUR WEATHER

• Date: 2012-10-17
    • Time: 20:49:00 hrs GMT
    • Tide Height: 2.374 m
    • Swell Height: 0.253 m at 54.0 s
    • Wind Bearing: 173 °
    • Wind Direction: S
    • Wind Speed: 13.8 kts
    • Beaufort: 4
    • Wind Gust: 24.1 kts
    • Air Temperature: 11.5 °
    • Humidity: 78 %
    • Pressure: 984.5 hPa
    • Rainfall: 37.3 mm
    • Sun Hours: 02:01:00 hrs:mm
    • Solar Radiation: 0.0 W/m2
    http://www.dlharbour.ie/weather/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

Looking at radar and Hirlam looks like Eastern areas will see no more than 5mm max between now and midnight. Anyone else agree? East Cork and Waterford might see a slightly higher accum over the same period.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

A few pics from around the city this evening.

Copley St/College of Comm
    P1010081.jpg
    P1010097.jpg

Crosses Green
    P1010076.jpg

Rutland St I think
    P1010086.jpg

Georges Quay toward Infrimary Rd
    P1010084.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Raining very heavy in Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Chuckler

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    A few picks from around the city this evening.

Copley St/College of Comm
    P1010081.jpg
    P1010097.jpg

Crosses Green
    P1010076.jpg

Rutland St I think
    P1010086.jpg

Georges Quay toward Infrimary Rd
    P1010084.jpg

Hi, any idea if Marlboro Street off South Mall was hit with flooding? Forgot to put out sandbags!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Sferic recorded just east of Dun laoighaire harbour..

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Has been seriously nasty in greystones for the past 2 hours. Rain like I've not seen for a long time, along with hailstones to boot. Upstairs it sounds like someone is trying to smash the velux windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

Just seen a nice flash of lightening of the east coast a few minutes ago.... what are our chances of a nice light show tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Nabber wrote: »
    Waterford seem to be having a great laugh

74893_10152200475200195_1576232644_n.jpg

seriously that has a touch of photoshop about it;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

24hr rainfall totals up to 9.30pm

224896.png

This day last year was not without interest also when we had a sharp cold front bringing some heavy rain and a significant drop in temperature with a fall of up to 6.0c in just one hour in some parts.

224897.PNG

From vedur.is

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Chuckler wrote: »
    Hi, any idea if Marlboro Street off South Mall was hit with flooding? Forgot to put out sandbags!!

Couldn't really say, mainly looked around the south side of the river, by Sullivan's and George's Quay.
    From what I saw though, the flooding didn't look as bad on the opposite side.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Chuckler

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »

Couldn't really say, mainly looked around the south side of the river, by Sullivan's and George's Quay.
    From what I saw though, the flooding didn't look as bad on the opposite side.

Thanks for replying. I'm miles away from the office so will wait until morning to see. Hopefully no damage done inside.

maddog wrote: »
    Just seen a nice flash of lightening of the east coast a few minutes ago.... what are our chances of a nice light show tonight?

The radar shows the odd cell still moving up along the east coast, so id say therell be some random strikes throughout the night... go on.. you know you want to do a timelapse for us all here ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The quay along to the mercy hospital from cornmarket street is flooded and has a no entry sign at that junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

Iancar29 wrote: »
    The radar shows the odd cell still moving up along the east coast, so id say therell be some random strikes throughout the night... go on.. you know you want to do a timelapse for us all here ... ;)

LOL Ian I'd love to but I have not seen anything else in the last while...so if it's not that active I'm going to crack open a bottle of beer and chill :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

konman wrote: »
    seriously that has a touch of photoshop about it;)

Some impressive skills so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

interestingly enough Wexford has seen about 4mm of rain and Waterford 34!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

photoshop for beginners , sun on the guys none on in the rest of the photo.

• Advertisement

maddog wrote: »
    LOL Ian I'd love to but I have not seen anything else in the last while...so if it's not that active I'm going to crack open a bottle of beer and chill :-)

Dont worry Maddog... we will hook up for the All Night Thundersnow event that i see forthcoming in my cystal ball :D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

Passage East, County Waterford, tonight.
    Image Aoife Millea

224911.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

^^
    The road sign sums it up nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Tomorrow's Aviation Sigwx chart for 12Z shows some moderate to severe turbulence (dashed area 2) over the UK from FL230-360 (23,000-36,000 ft), due to the presence of a huge 150 knot jet stream at FL310. Expect a rough ride if travelling to the eastern or southern UK. Note how the jet stream stretches south past Madeira.

PGDE14_EGRR_1200.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

The crew of the Car Ferry Service across the River Suir linking the villages of Ballyhack in Wexford and Passage East in Waterford wade their way through floodwaters in Passage East tonight. Image Aoife Millea
    224919.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Su Campu wrote: »
    Tomorrow's Aviation Sigwx chart for 12Z shows some moderate to severe turbulence (dashed area 2) over the UK from FL230-360 (23,000-36,000 ft), due to the presence of a huge 150 knot jet stream at FL310. Expect a rough ride if travelling to the eastern or southern UK. Note how the jet stream stretches south past Madeira.

PGDE14_EGRR_1200.PNG

What about a flight from Dublin to Portugal? First impression tells me it looks rough!?

I wont be telling the old man if it's bad:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,581 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

the amount of feckin rainfall this year , must be a record even for Irish standards ... i don't mind the odd bit of rain , but these torrential downpours , are like tropical storms , without the paradise

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Snap!

545293_475004079206991_1037864229_n.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

thebaz wrote: »
    the amount of feckin rainfall this year , must be a record even for Irish standards

No, except perhaps in south west Dublin. It is below trend in much of the country as I explained clearly yesterday afternoon had you read back a tad.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

eye of the storm clearly tracking up through the midlands as we speak :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement