Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High winds and heavy rain in places this week (Discussion Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

This evening's 18Z water vapour imagery seems to show the low centre and possible stingjet around 1 degree longitude ahead of the ECMWF forecast position, meaning the system is moving a little faster than progged.

Actual WV image
    224754.PNG

Model WV, centre shifted 1 degree west
    224755.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Very interesting Su! , if i remember correctly its the tip of the hooked shape area ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,641 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Wind and rain picking up big time in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Met Eireann updated their weather warning earlier.
    Weather Warning

Issued at 16 October 2012 - 20:41
    Weather Warning
    Many parts of Munster and Leinster will experience heavy rainfall and strong winds overnight and for much of Wednesday. Totals of 25 to 50mm are expected. Southeast winds of gale or possibly strong gale force occurring in conjunction with times of high tides may cause overtopping in coastal margins.

Valid from: 20:30 Tuesday 16/10/2012
    Valid to:20:30 Wednesday 17/10/2012

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Gone all quiet in Clonakilty after some heavy showers earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

Possible sting Jet????????? Winds can increase with no warning to an alarming 150kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

This band heading for South Coast of England just exploded into life!!

224760.png

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Rain hammering down in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OMG rain is unreal here now!!!! Deafening! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Just came in from work got soaked running to the car,its hammering down in tramore & the wind is picking up bigtime..Thankfully i have a lie in till 10am so i can listen to it hammering off the window:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

living on hook head raining heavily estimate wind force 7 to 8

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

after stepping outside more like 8-9 gale force

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Just had a flash of lightning and a nice rumble of thunder here in Waterford. :D

Been hearing the rain outside for hours now.

Edit : More lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

God I hope some of that lightning makes it to bray! And is it just me or is their a chunk of time missing from the met rainfall radar? Seems I've escaped the passage of time for a few hours their.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Been half asleep all night, had to get up with a string that passed giving very heavy monsoon like pulses of rain and high winds.

I've 14mm of rain by my WS and a 42km/h gust @00:26 since midnight
    Low pressure 981 hPa still falling ↓

Heaviest rain rate is shown around 01:00 where it almost reached 35mm/hr ~ I think I was asleep for that but have the window open and the wind direction would not have alerted my so much at that time.

Just had to get up there as those monsoon pulses seemed extra ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Very heavy rainfall in Dublin CC right now. Started at about 0400hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Rain just arrived North Kildare. Torrential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

picture.php?albumid=360&pictureid=14082

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭pad199207

Torrential rainfall here in Naas now

Rate of 101mm/hr

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

26.2mm of rain here since around 4am from that blob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Absolutely torrential rain here in D15 since I woke at 6am, rate exceeding 50mm/hr. we dont have drainage issues here but the gullies and shores are inundated, 30 mm of flowing and lying water on the flat surfaces

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just after posting above, rain stopped. Dry now. All eyes southwards now to the heavy showers over Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

Chucking it down here in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Bucketed for the last 3 hours in athlone. Just stopped now. Hopefully that stuff hitting cork now passes through the country quickly

Current shower 5.8mm/hr collected rain since midnight 21mm [event 24hrs 27mm]

Rain in moderate pulses almost continuous since 06:00
    Gusty wind 30km/h

Fire service requesting road closures due to quay flloding: Wandsfords Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i'm hearing the rain outside the window. yikes:eek:

getting into the college of commerce is gonna be fun this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭g0g

There weren't by any chance any freak wind gusts recorded this morning in Dublin (8) were there? I woke up around 06:15 and a few minutes later there was a howl of a gust that sounded like something from a disaster movie right outside the window. My wife thought it was a tsunami(:rolleyes:) and I was hoping for a mini tornado but the noise was gone pretty quick.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

g0g wrote: »
    There weren't by any chance any freak wind gusts recorded this morning in Dublin (8) were there? I woke up around 06:15 and a few minutes later there was a howl of a gust that sounded like something from a disaster movie right outside the window. My wife thought it was a tsunami(:rolleyes:) and I was hoping for a mini tornado but the noise was gone pretty quick.

I thought I was the only one, yes, I heard it too. Didn't get up though just lay there listening :)

• Advertisement

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    i'm hearing the rain outside the window. yikes:eek: getting into the college of commerce is gonna be fun this morning.

They just closed Union Quay ~ usual flooding I've not seen it myself

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement