Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washington Commanders thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Hearing some rumours that you guys are interested in Kenny Britt..
    I'd just be worried about how close you guys are to New Jersey, he's always getting in trouble!

I don't know is he far enough over the hill to be considered a viable Redskin free agent target.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I don't know is he far enough over the hill to be considered a viable Redskin free agent target.

:pac:

He'll want big money i think (which imo he's not worth) but he has the attributes to be a top level WR if he gets his head right and stops getting involved in off field distractions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Frustrating two days so far to say the least.
    Ryan Clarke looking likely to fill the void at safety at the moment but we've been beaten to practically ever other target so I would't expect anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Desean jackson has joined the skins from philly

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Desean jackson has joined the skins from philly

In theory a good signing but what do Philly (and Andy Reid in KC) know that we don't?

I know there's baggage about the gangs etc. but teams have turned a blind eye to these sorts if things before. So do they think he's done, like they did when the sent McNabb to DC a few years back? Something isn't right.

I haven't read about his contract but hopefully there isn't too much guaranteed or and there's get-out clauses for the 'Skins that won't eat salary cap space for years to come if he goes all Aaron Hernandez on us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

In theory a good signing but what do Philly (and Andy Reid in KC) know that we don't?

I know there's baggage about the gangs etc. but teams have turned a blind eye to these sorts if things before. So do they think he's done, like they did when the sent McNabb to DC a few years back? Something isn't right.

I haven't read about his contract but hopefully there isn't too much guaranteed or and there's get-out clauses for the 'Skins that won't eat salary cap space for years to come if he goes all Aaron Hernandez on us!

From what i've read most of the evidence against Jackson was circumstantial, the reason the Eagles wanted out is he doesnt fit Chip Kelly's team first Mantra. Not many of the Eagles players seem to have come out to defend Jackson either and the Eagles are big on Brandin Cooks in the draft. The WR class is deep as well.

But for the Redskins it looks a really good signing, hopefully the contract protects the skins interests.

From what i've read most of the evidence against Jackson was circumstantial, the reason the Eagles wanted out is he doesnt fit Chip Kelly's team first Mantra. Not many of the Eagles players seem to have come out to defend Jackson either and the Eagles are big on Brandin Cooks in the draft. The WR class is deep as well.

But for the Redskins it looks a really good signing, hopefully the contract protects the skins interests.

Enemies in the baseball forum, do we have a common ground in support for the Redskins here?

Enemies in the baseball forum, do we have a common ground in support for the Redskins here?

We do. Big time, I'm a washington fan , all sports! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

After all the fuss about DeSean Jackson(based almost exclusively on his play last season) I'm hoping that it doesn't work out in Washington. As a Raiders fan, I don't have a problem with a player not wanting to come to Oakland if thats' how he feels, but the way Jackson publicly stated his interest in joining the Raider in advance, before even visiting Oakland to see what they were offering rubs me up the wrong way, strikes me as using the Raiders interest to leverage a better deal out of Washington. I mean the Raiders had a better record last year and have done more to improve themselves in free agency, so you can't even argue that the Redskins are that much better a team.

I also don't see how the Redskins could afford his $8m a year salary as they were only $6m under the salary cap with draft picks still to sign, so the contract must be heavily backloaded.

For the record, in DeSean Jackson's 6 year NFL career

1. He has only finished a complete season twice in his career.

2. He has only 3 seasons with 1,000yrds receiving.

3. Has never had Double Digit TDs in a season (10+ TD)

4. Has ZERO punt returns for a T.D. in the last 3yrs.

5. Zero Kick Returns for a T.D. in 5yrs.

Leaving aside any off field issues, do those stats equate to an $8m a year receiver ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

We do. Big time, I'm a washington fan , all sports! :D

Theres only one true Redskins fan on this isle and thats sack ida spandex :eek:.........................................art monk & clint didier

• Advertisement

heyjude wrote: »

So are you only annoyed that he used the Raiders for leverage (quite common in every sport) or are you a bit bitter that he didn't end up there?

As for the cap issue, I'd imagine any quote you read about a team's available cap space takes into consideration the salaries they will have to pay to new draft picks. Rookie wages are for the most part pre-determined these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

After all the fuss about DeSean Jackson(based almost exclusively on his play last season) I'm hoping that it doesn't work out in Washington. As a Raiders fan, I don't have a problem with a player not wanting to come to Oakland if thats' how he feels, but the way Jackson publicly stated his interest in joining the Raider in advance, before even visiting Oakland to see what they were offering rubs me up the wrong way, strikes me as using the Raiders interest to leverage a better deal out of Washington. I mean the Raiders had a better record last year and have done more to improve themselves in free agency, so you can't even argue that the Redskins are that much better a team.

I also don't see how the Redskins could afford his $8m a year salary as they were only $6m under the salary cap with draft picks still to sign, so the contract must be heavily backloaded.

Leaving aside any off field issues, do those stats equate to an $8m a year receiver ?

If he's so **** then why do you care?

3 years, $24m with $16m guaranteed.

If he's so **** then why do you care?

In the spirit of your remark, it called being a true supporter.

If a player doesn't want to join your team,even if he grew up supporting them, then so be it, but to go out on social media talking up his interest in that team when it seems he never had any intention of going there, well to put it politely, it shows a lack of class. If he had either said from day one, I only wanna be a Redskin or if he'd visited the Raiders(having expressed his interest in them) and then said he liked the Redskins package more, then you'd say it was disappointing but you did your best, he did neither.

It doesn't change anything I've said, but the signing seems primarily motivated by a need to get revenge against the Eagles, within the NFC East.

If a player doesn't want to join your team,even if he grew up supporting them, then so be it, but to go out on social media talking up his interest in that team when it seems he never had any intention of going there, well to put it politely, it shows a lack of class. If he had either said from day one, I only wanna be a Redskin or if he'd visited the Raiders(having expressed his interest in them) and then said he liked the Redskins package more, then you'd say it was disappointing but you did your best, he did neither.

It doesn't change anything I've said, but the signing seems primarily motivated by a need to get revenge against the Eagles, within the NFC East.

If you think Jackson is the first player ever to use one team to get a better deal from another, then you're quite naive. It's probably on page 1 on the football agent bible.

Do you honestly expect him to come out and say "I only wanna be a Redskin"? If he did, Dan Synder would quietly put the cheque book back in his pocket and knock a few quid off his offer price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Ah come on now. He's not a child. I wouldn't expect any pro athlete to have an allegiance to a team he doesn't play for. He said a few nice things about the Raiders out of a fondness maybe, but he'd have been mad to go to Oakland instead of Washington IMO.

Or Jackson looked at the relative Qb's of both teams, Schaub or RGIII .. hmm I know who i'd rather play with.

Or Jackson looked at the relative Qb's of both teams, Schaub or RGIII .. hmm I know who i'd rather play with.

Schaub, prior to last season, was a good QB. Kubiak is on the hook for a lot of his issues last season too. I just feel Oakland is a poisoned chalice right now.

davyjose wrote: »
    Schaub, prior to last season, was a good QB. Kubiak is on the hook for a lot of his issues last season too. I just feel Oakland is a poisoned chalice right now.

Schaub was awful last season. He's not as bad as last year but he's not as good as RGIII in my opinion.

Some big moves across the league, Rb's going left right and center.MJD to the raiders is interesting.

Schaub was awful last season. He's not as bad as last year but he's not as good as RGIII in my opinion.

Some big moves across the league, Rb's going left right and center.MJD to the raiders is interesting.

How long will RGIII last though ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

How long will RGIII last though ?

More than three years.

Redskins signed Colt McCoy today. I presume that means the end of the RGI era in Washington?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Ill miss sexy rexy (not):rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Maybe they'll take him back once they trade Captain Kirk away, if they still want two backups. I'm not sure I could live in a world without Rex Grossman.

Syferus wrote: »
    More than three years.

RGIII didn't last all of last season, so if he manages to remain injury free for more than the next three years that would be amazing

RGIII didn't last all of last season, so if he manages to remain injury free for more than the next three years that would be amazing

Or the season before.

RG3 wasn't injured last season.

RG3 wasn't injured last season.

In fairness, he never actually said that: he said he didn't last all season. Which is true.

davyjose wrote: »
    In fairness, he never actually said that: he said he didn't last all season. Which is true.

I don't think you can put 'Mike Shanahan is a ****ing mad-man' down as a durability issue with RG3.

• Advertisement

I don't think you can put 'Mike Shanahan is a ****ing mad-man' down as a durability issue with RG3.

No, but maybe the knee injury that clearly slowed him down last season. If you're telling me RG3 was 100% going into last season, I have to disagree.

Advertisement