Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washington Commanders thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'd fire the PR person of the redskins as whoever has been advising them on how to handle the whole RGIII return from injury made a complete cluster**** from the start.

I think the problem is deeper than that. They all seem to have their own agendas so I don't think anyone's advising anyone. Maybe they should be fired for not nipping it in the bud months ago as the under the table war has being going on since before the season started.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think the problem is deeper than that. They all seem to have their own agendas so I don't think anyone's advising anyone. Maybe they should be fired for not nipping it in the bud months ago as the under the table war has being going on since before the season started.

Well when you have the head coach, the player and the orthopaedic surgeon who performed the surgery saying different things in regards to being cleared to play or not days before the start of the season. That's a bad start jack.

Also, the owner of Your team makes jerry jones look normal and rational. That doesn't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Fml

Strange one today. I know Atlanta are awful but 7 turnovers and only losing by a point is some sort of positive, I think...????

I've no problem going for 2 at the end. The game means nothing, why not try it?

At least they didn't give up after going down 14-0 early like they did last week.

It was a crazy game, so many turn overs and stupid mistakes.

I really thought we had it won on the 2 point conversion, just depressing that we couldn't pull it off.

All round a better performance and possibly shows rg3 that could be doing more with our offence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Anyone looking forward to seeing if we can help ruin the Cowboy's season tomorrow? I'm in the DC area to spend Christmas with Mrs Raphael's folks and her Dad got tickets to the game, so I'm pretty stoked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Raphael wrote: »
    Anyone looking forward to seeing if we can help ruin the Cowboy's season tomorrow? I'm in the DC area to spend Christmas with Mrs Raphael's folks and her Dad got tickets to the game, so I'm pretty stoked :D
    Ah ya lucky fecker, a win would ease the pain abit alright make sure you stick plenty picks up here its probably the closest ill get:D enjoy anyway, HTTR!!

Well thank God that season is over.

so, any picks for the super bowl?

As expected, Shanny got the boot so who do you think will be next to get to work with the second worst owner in football?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

As expected, Shanny got the boot so who do you think will be next to get to work with the second worst owner in football?

Art Briles must be a front-runner although after watching Baylor last night I'm not as keen.

subway wrote: »
    so, any picks for the super bowl?

Denver. Peyton doesn't deserve to have less rings than his brother and with the season he's having I think they'll do it.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Art Briles must be a front-runner although after watching Baylor last night I'm not as keen.

A big problem this season for the Redskins was discipline as they seemed to give up an awful lot of penalties and Baylor were the most penalised team in College Football and the bowl game was a good example of it so I don't think he's the guy they should be looking at.

Also, there'd be so much pressure on RGIII if he did get the job as it would be seen as a hire to please him so the hire's success would all be on him.

A big problem this season for the Redskins was discipline as they seemed to give up an awful lot of penalties and Baylor were the most penalised team in College Football and the bowl game was a good example of it so I don't think he's the guy they should be looking at.

Also, there'd be so much pressure on RGIII if he did get the job as it would be seen as a hire to please him so the hire's success would all be on him.

I'm no expert on Baylor or College Football in general but I stayed up to watch the Baylor game the other night out of interest and I agree the lack of discipline/no. of penalties was insane. I'd also be afraid that he won't give our defence the attention it needs.

The pressure on RG3 will be huge either way but he could either feel more comfortable and confident working under Briles' scheme which he's familiar with or he could feel the pressure of the high expectations. Hard to call really.
    The fact Briles isn't getting much of a mention by the media makes it look like it won't happen anyway.

Current bookies odds:
    Whisenhunt 3/1, Fewell 4/1, McDermott 4/1, Bevell 5/1, Jay Gruden 5/1, Zimmer 5/1, Roman 10/1.

Lions have big interest in Whisenhunt supposedly.

Looks like we have our man - Jay Gruden reported as new HC

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

This is going to end well.

What do you boys think of jay gruden, tbh i dont know anything about him, what would be his good and bad qualities?, if he comes in as head coach, will he bring defensive and special teams coaches from the bengals with him, and what about a new offenseive coach?

shamrock55 wrote: »
    What do you boys think of jay gruden, tbh i dont know anything about him, what would be his good and bad qualities?, if he comes in as head coach, will he bring defensive and special teams coaches from the bengals with him, and what about a new offenseive coach?

I'm the same. I'm neither happy nor sad about this hire. We'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

Was there anyone 10 times better out there? Wisenhunt maybe but he has his eyes on Detroit apparently so probably was never going to be available.

Sounds a good appointment to me, I just don't understand how Jim Haslett hasn't lost his job yet.

Press Conference starting here in 15mins if you're interested lads:
    http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/New-Head-Coach-Announcement-At-4-PM/aff3c1ab-1637-4904-a96f-4712f7d31d53

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

How many superlatives about Redskins players will Jon be able to wedge into one sentence on MNF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I like the appointment. Overall I think the team is strong in most positions we maybe need a couple of additions at WR and OL , I would also like to see a pass rusher come in and obviously we will have to replace Fletcher,which could prove very tough.

All in all I am optimistic for the 2014/2015 season. A division title or wild card spot would be a success in my opinion.

As the seahawkes proved, defence is where its at, its the area we need to improve most if we are to be successfull next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

shamrock55 wrote: »
    As the seahawkes proved, defence is where its at, its the area we need to improve most if we are to be successfull next year

well the age old saying is "defence wins championships , offense wins games" but after last season I dont necessarily think the team needs to win a championship... 9 or 10 games would be great though! :D:D:D

Orakpo tagged. Not too keen on that move myself. Whole lot of cap room gone right there...

Orakpo tagged. Not too keen on that move myself. Whole lot of cap room gone right there...

Maybe someone will take him and give up 2 first round picks (he says hopefully, clutching at straws).

Seriously though, he's decent enough and although it is a steep price, with the cap up to £133m and the extra $18m to play with, they should still be alright to get a couple of semi-decent free agents

Maybe someone will take him and give up 2 first round picks (he says hopefully, clutching at straws).

Seriously though, he's decent enough and although it is a steep price, with the cap up to £133m and the extra $18m to play with, they should still be alright to get a couple of semi-decent free agents

Ideally I'd trade him for picks but I dunno how likely that scenario is!

Wouldn't have been against him testing FA where he'd have prob finally found out that his demands are too high, hopefully resulting in a long term deal with the Skins at a better price.

I would've preferred to put the available cap towards the signing of Byrd and one other free agent of decent quality. I just think we've too many holes to fill to afford such a lucrative deal such as this.

Time will tell I suppose but the move doesn't fill me with much excitement to be honest!

Ideally I'd trade him for picks but I dunno how likely that scenario is!

Wouldn't have been against him testing FA where he'd have prob finally found out that his demands are too high, hopefully resulting in a long term deal with the Skins at a better price.

I would've preferred to put the available cap towards the signing of Byrd and one other free agent of decent quality. I just think we've too many holes to fill to afford such a lucrative deal such as this.

Time will tell I suppose but the move doesn't fill me with much excitement to be honest!

I don't understand how the cap works but with getting the $18m back I thought the Redskins would be in a good position but this article says otherwise

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24466063/nfl-salary-cap-where-each-team-stands-as-free-agency-looms

I don't understand how the cap works but with getting the $18m back I thought the Redskins would be in a good position but this article says otherwise

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24466063/nfl-salary-cap-where-each-team-stands-as-free-agency-looms

I'm no expert on the cap myself. Confuses the hell out of me but surely that article is incorrect? From what I'v read pretty much every where else tagging Orakpo has taken up about a third of our cap space, leaving us with about 17.8mill or something along those lines.

Still a bit to work with but with so many holes to fill I can't see us getting in any premium talent. The lack of a first round pick is a kick in the teeth also!

Hoping we take a Wide Receiver to replace Moss with our 2nd round pick. Quite a few good wide receivers in this years draft class!

EDIT: I got a fellow Redskin fan to try to explain the article..

That confused me too ... but the "cash" number actually matches up. As in .. the money we have committed no matter what is $86m. So there are a lot of $630k contracts to guys who won't make the 53 man ... and guys that can be cut (Bowen, Chester, Carriker, Rocca, Polumbus, Montgomery, etc) ...

That's the REAL hard cap number there. With Orakpo's Franchise Tag ... if you release those I mention above ... and you don't count the guys who won't make the team, you have 38 players (counting Orakpo, Gumbs, Worthington, Baker) who account for $77m ($88m now with Orakpo's tag) ... which along with the $7m in dead space gets you to $95m that is raelly on the books. Taken away from $133m, that gives you the $38m in cap space we keep mentioning on here.

The cap is hella confusing. But hopefully that clears it up.

Sources saying that the Skins are making a big push to sign Talib.

I was more than happy to go into next season with Hall and Amerson as our CB1 and CB2 tbh. As exciting of a player as Talib can be I think it'd be a waste of cap space that could've been put towards a solid safety, ILB or our millions of other needs right now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hearing some rumours that you guys are interested in Kenny Britt..
    I'd just be worried about how close you guys are to New Jersey, he's always getting in trouble!

Advertisement