Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due June 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Hey All,

Just a reminder that you can join the June Thread Facebook group if you wish, just PM myself with your name on Facebook/your email you use for it/the URL of your page. The group is set up so that members can add other members, so you can also PM the other members (Paperclipgrad, Murdywurdy or Aknitter at the mo - hope that's OK ladies?) and they can add you in..

The main purpose of the page is to share photos (it is a secret group, highest privacy setting) and to allow us to keep in touch after the babies are born and likely that the thread will come to a natural end. For the time being all the main chat is happening on this thread!

To PM someone on Boards, the simplest way is to click on their username on the thread and select "Send a private message to.."

Sunshiner, well done on the exams congrats! You can enjoy the run in to baby now..
    By the way thanks for posting that little hat! So cute. It actually looks not that hard to recreate if you had the right wool.. Might give it a go sometime!

Murdy, how are you feeling today? That's a bummer about the iron. They'll prescribe you a few pints of Guinness next! Funny you say that about IBS, I would normally get it but since being pregnant have only had it about twice. Friend was the same (it comes back unfortunately :( )
    On the mother and baby (toddler) group I have heard of a good few going on which I will check out..

Double B, hope you're feeling all right, I get a bit of pressure sometimes but I never know if it's baby related or dodgy pelvis..

Lynda, when are you finishing work? It will be great when you don't have to worry about that.

I'm not too bad today, the hips playing up at night again so I am getting less sleep than the last couple of weeks. Plus last night there was an announcement from Old Trafford that there would be an announcement soon and that had me checking Twitter during the night too. Who makes these announcements at 11pm! Don't they know that's my bed time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Hi Guys

I hope everyone is keeping well, I've been quiet for the last few weeks as I have been up to my eyes with work etc but the end is in sight, I only have 2 weeks left :)

Well since last on I have had a few dramas but all is good now, I have gestational diabetes and they had to put me on insulin which at the start upset me but I'm at pro at injecting now lol
    Since being put on tablets and insulin I have lost 3kg so that's one good thing I suppose :rolleyes:

I nearly have everything sorted, I'm 35 weeks now so time is really going fast and I can't believe in 5 weeks I'll have a little baba....I can't wait!

I won't be going over 40 weeks as they don't let you with GD, I'm due back with the baby doctor in 3 weeks so I'll know my faith then!

I just have a carseat left to get, Can anyone recommend a good one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Hey All,

Just a reminder that you can join the June Thread Facebook group if you wish, just PM myself with your name on Facebook/your email you use for it/the URL of your page. The group is set up so that members can add other members, so you can also PM the other members (Paperclipgrad, Murdywurdy or Aknitter at the mo - hope that's OK ladies?) and they can add you in..

The main purpose of the page is to share photos (it is a secret group, highest privacy setting) and to allow us to keep in touch after the babies are born and likely that the thread will come to a natural end. For the time being all the main chat is happening on this thread!

To PM someone on Boards, the simplest way is to click on their username on the thread and select "Send a private message to.."

Thanks for organising Krankykitty!

I was thinking of keeping the frame of travel system in the boot of our car and bringing baby up myself. It's a beast and we're only in an apartment so not a huge amount if space. We have about ten steps up to our front door too. We do have room under the stairs that's through a locked door so that's an option too.

Well done on the exams Sunshiner!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

That's a good idea leaving it in the car! What will you do if baby's sleeping though? You won't want to be waking it up! That's one of the advantages of the travel system like the one we got- you pop baby into carseat and just move that around....

• Advertisement

That's a good idea leaving it in the car! What will you do if baby's sleeping though? You won't want to be waking it up! That's one of the advantages of the travel system like the one we got- you pop baby into carseat and just move that around....

All the 3 pieces pop out of the base easily (car seat, carry cot and the buggy attachment) so I was thinking if baby is asleep I'll just release them and carry those parts into the apt and leave base in the boot. Will see how it works in practice! We got an uppababy vista which is like a sports car when you read all the features! From the looks of things it's easy to clip in and out the parts.

The carry cot part can be used for baby to sleep in overnight if you want so we're going to use that as a Moses basket in the sitting room. You can buy a stand for it too but it's €120 so I'm going to wait and see on that one.

Stands really save your back though, especially in the middle of the night! I'd want baby nice and close to me so I can just scoop it up and feed it without waking too much.

How about baby monitors- has anyone bought one yet? I want one that has graduated lights depending on volume of baby's cry and hopefully a camera as well. My hearing isn't great so I have to be extra vigilant about things, though I've found that with my implant on and the graduated lights I have no problem (while babysitting other peoples' kids) otherwise I have to go up and check really frequently.

I bought the Angelcare monitor with the movement sensor pad that goes under the baby. Apparently if the baby stops moving/breathing for a set time, the monitor will alarm. It was expensive enough but I think it would be useful as I often worry when I wake at night if my husband isn't moving, and have to check he is alive :rolleyes: Scarlet for me. I thought it might be worth it for a bit of additional peace of mind.

We too are going to use the carrycot of the travel system for sleeping. I have a loan of a Moses Basket which will be for the first bit in the bedroom, but will also use the pram part. Friend of mine with same model travel system does the same, she had moses basket which was grand, but then when the baby moved into the crib she didn't like that. Using the pram is great as she just has it in the living room, then when the baby is having a nap she can wheel her into the next room and wheel back when necessary

Hey Lainycool, the GD sounds very difficult :( Did you have to change your diet much, or is it managed by the insulin? As if pregnancy is not hard enough...

We're not buying a monitor until baby is in his own room. We're all on one level so it'll be easy to hear baby in our room if we're in sitting room, not so easy to hear him from his own room though. I was advised to get angel care one too and the girl i spoke too said get it second hand, there's loads on adverts. I'll look there when baby is a few months old.

• Advertisement

Does the angelcare one have graduated lights?

Not sure Paperclip, this is the one I got.. Angelcare Monitor Amazon

I'll ask that girl I know who has one if you want!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yh41dyoB-A

I see from this that it doesn't- ah well, back to square one! The motorola one looks pretty good.

There's a video of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtrbwFePTo4

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

thanks for nice posts guys, it hasnt sunk in yet :D

Re the angelcare, i did read that it can be a nightmare affecting wireless. When i was looking for one i remember reading it. Amazon have good reviews. Also theres a fair few of them for sale on Adverts.

Im going to buy a digital monitor,NOT an analog, i have a nosey neighbour up the road, who has a scanner and i can only imagine her trying to listen in to us. Sounds a bit OTT but she is unreal.

Lainycool im glad your well, it can imagine it being upsetting and frustrating injecting at the start, but i bet you feel empowered now. Will you have to continue this after the baby is born?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Hey Lainycool, the GD sounds very difficult :( Did you have to change your diet much, or is it managed by the insulin? As if pregnancy is not hard enough...

Hey it was at the start as you have to look at every label and make sure there is no sugar....Like bread, Bread just spikes my blood sugar levels up so I try to stay away from that!
    My saviour has been peaches and cream.....Yum!!!
    I am more aware of snacking now aswell, I would of been picking food throughout the day whereas you can't really do that with diabetes as you need to take insulin and food together!
    I was planning on breastfeeding but I don't know anymore, I feel really selfish but I just feel the last few weeks have been tough! Who knows though it could change in the next few weeks, I might see about going to one of those meetings.

lainycool wrote: »
    Hey it was at the start as you have to look at every label and make sure there is no sugar....Like bread, Bread just spikes my blood sugar levels up so I try to stay away from that!
    My saviour has been peaches and cream.....Yum!!!
    I am more aware of snacking now aswell, I would of been picking food throughout the day whereas you can't really do that with diabetes as you need to take insulin and food together!
    I was planning on breastfeeding but I don't know anymore, I feel really selfish but I just feel the last few weeks have been tough! Who knows though it could change in the next few weeks, I might see about going to one of those meetings.

Sure, just see how you go. No point putting pressure on yourself. I can totally understand wanting your body back after going through all that. It must be tough to think about what you're eating all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Lainey - that sounds rough, I wouldn't mind having to inject myself but I could not do it to someone else (I couldn't even give the small man a neurofen suppository!). you'll be glad of the weight loss though!

I got a basic motorola with the graduated lights in the Smyths sale - no camera but we are in a small house with thin walls and will have no bother hearing the baby anyway, its just more for peace of mind. The angel care sounds amazing, none of these things were around when I had my daughter, makes you wonder how we reared them! :)

We need to switch sides of the bed, the hubby and I, I'm currently next to the ensuite and that won't be accessible when we have a cot in the way! :) So not looking forward to it. (I have a swinging cot for upstairs - bigger than a moses basket and will use the pram for downstairs).

Kind of a weird question- but what are you going to get your baby to call you? Mam? Mum? Mom?

My mother was always 'mom' (she's american) so anything else will seem like not-mom! I've noticed an increasing trend lately in ireland of mothers being called mum...

Blueskye should be giving birth to her twins now!! So exciting! Keeping her in my prayers and crossing all fingers and toes!! Hope we get good news soon. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lynda18

Lainy it sounds very bad but u prob having healthiest pregnancy now! At start I was so strict bout what had for baby and feel been neglecting it lately and warring what like! Trying get back good now! Really not able for work now hope doc signs me off next week!

Yes I got same Motorola monitor it was handed down from my aunt so think t so for now ;)

Hope blue sky is getting on well!

Not sure what ill be called! Probably mam ! Mum is getting popular as is mummy for kids to uSe! I always called mine mam and dad! They don't want be called grand parents though want child call them by name! Same as my grandparents did!

We've already arranged that with our parents. :D My parents will be Grandma and Grandpa whereas his will be Nana and grandad. It's handy for me as well as this is the arrangement I had for my grandparents too (although both of my father's parents were gone by the time I was born and my grandpa died when I was 12).

I was just wondering about Blueskye- I'm thinking of her loads :)

That's interesting about what you want to be called, we've been having big debates in our house about the grandparents mainly. I'll be Mum/Mummy - my grandmother was called Mam growing up (it's Welsh for grandmother) and I just can't associate Mam with being a mother. I call my mother Mum.

My mum wants to be Nan and my Dad wants to be Tad (Welsh for grandfather) but I'm resisting the Tad part, it sounds too like Dad! I'm just going to keep calling him grandad and hope it sticks :) Ha Lynda, my mum wanted to be called by her first name too but she's come around to Nan now. I refer to my parents as the cat's granny and grandad but my actual granny died last year and my mum doesn't feel right using her name so she's come up with Nan instead.

My father-in-law will be called Aja which means Father's Father in Hindi. If my mother-in-law was alive she would be Aji.

Is that pronounced with a 'j' as in 'Jane' or more like the german 'ja'?

Mom never wanted to be called 'mammy' as it's associated with the black housekeepers in America's southern states. Kind of random, I know!

Is that pronounced with a 'j' as in 'Jane' or more like the german 'ja'?

It's pronounced like the J in Jane - it's a hard J :) My hubby has special names for all his aunts/uncles/grandparents depending on their relation to him e.g. Mousie is mother's sister and Nani is Mother's mother. It's really interesting :)

what about father's sister? Mousie vs. ?

what about father's sister? Mousie vs. ?

I can't remember that one! He calls that aunt by her first name.

Mousie is mother's sister and Mousa is mother's sister's husband. I call his aunt and uncle mousie and mousa too. It gets complicated though. Anyone who is older than you you'd refer to with a name like that so my hubby has lots of Nani's that are just great aunts or whatever. It gets confusing really fast :)

My sister in law is finnish so her kids call her both mom and äiti, the grandmother is 'isoäiti' which literally translates as 'big mother'. :) the great-grandmother is called 'mummo'.

They don't have an equivalent for 'aunt/uncle' in finnish, so I'm auntie theresa whereas their uncle on their mother's side is just 'Osmo' or 'Jouni'.

Family naming in other languages is interesting!

Mousie/mousa is really cute. :) I'd constantly be thinking of mice with them though!

My sister in law is finnish so her kids call her both mom and äiti, the grandmother is 'isoäiti' which literally translates as 'big mother'. :) the great-grandmother is called 'mummo'.

They don't have an equivalent for 'aunt/uncle' in finnish, so I'm auntie theresa whereas their uncle on their mother's side is just 'Osmo' or 'Jouni'.

Family naming in other languages is interesting!

I know - I find it really fascinating too!

• Advertisement

I do think it's a shame that we can't really use more 'international' names without making the baby appear weird. The name Giovanni sounds so much cooler than John and Pierre better than Peter...but if we were to use those, we'd get the raised eyebrow! At least you've the excuse of having a 'hybrid' baby that is perfectly valid to use names from either culture! Lucky you!

I used to dream of being married to an italian or french guy just for that reason. :D Northern Ireland isn't quite as exotic...

Advertisement